PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen coming up in Instant Replay

NRHector
02-07-2010, 11:38 PM
just in case anybody wants to see it, he'll be talking about the Spurs defense

Blackjack
02-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Bruce took the comments from Pop in stride and was definitely the bigger man, imo.

I agree with Bruce that Pop's intention was only say that he wasn't there anymore and that they needed to move on in order for them to start playing better D, but Pop's frustration with the Bruce questions shouldn't have resulted in the, "If he could still play, he'd be playing somewhere" comment.

As witnessed last year, Bruce could still play and contribute (a fact that Bruce believes himself to be true) and there's no reason to think he couldn't help in some capacity now; if Bruce wanted to, which he made perfectly clear wasn't the case (as he not-so-subtly plugged Yardley's and expressed contentment with his family life).

It was a lame comment from a frustrated and irritated coach.

timvp
02-08-2010, 12:24 AM
I agree with Bruce that Pop's intention was only say that he wasn't there anymore and that they needed to move on in order for them to start playing better D, but Pop's frustration with the Bruce questions shouldn't have resulted in the, "If he could still play, he'd be playing somewhere" comment.I missed the interview. Did Bowen specifically mention that part about "if he could still play"?

It was a lame comment from a frustrated and irritated coach. 'Twas

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 12:31 AM
this whole thing is blown out of context. pop meant no harm by the comments and bruce let everyone know this. pop is trying to make this team come together and play as one... taking about trades, bruce bowen and the past is not going to accomplish that.....

MaNu4Tres
02-08-2010, 12:33 AM
I want to call in 760 tuesday and ask him his opinion on some of the proposals in some of the trade threads. It would be interesting to see what he'd have to say.

Even though more than likely he'd side step questions about certain players he's still close to.

Blackjack
02-08-2010, 12:36 AM
I missed the interview. Did Bowen specifically mention that part about "if he could still play"?

Simmons brought up the quote and Bruce almost cut him off to give his response. He was the good soldier and was even imploring patience and understanding from the fans, as he seemed as much a part of the team as someone like Elliott.

Bruce did make sure to say he believes he could still play, though. He didn't agree with Pop's comment and made sure to let it be known that his not playing was his choosing; Bruce dismissed the comment being a slight, rather almost a poor choice of words from an irritated Pop (from what I gathered, anyway).

Cane
02-08-2010, 12:49 AM
this whole thing is blown out of context. pop meant no harm by the comments and bruce let everyone know this. pop is trying to make this team come together and play as one... taking about trades, bruce bowen and the past is not going to accomplish that.....

Agreed. After all is said and done, Coach Pop has great respect for his championship players. The only people he was trying to insult/motivate are the current Spurs; he was basically saying that they suck so bad that a great defender like Bowen would barely help them improve.

It'd be awesome if we were only a great defender away from being a legitimate threat...unfortunately the Spurs defensive issues go much deeper than that - we just look lackadaisical, can't funnel the ball to Duncan as much, and Duncan isn't as great of a force as he was plus he's resting more than ever. :depressed

I don't think there are any sinister motives involved. Pop's blood pressure must be through the roof this entire season since he basically guaranteed a championship contending ballclub and unfortunately we've only inched towards that point. Given this context he might say shit that looks much worse than what he intended especially since he's an old school military hardass.

TJastal
02-08-2010, 01:00 AM
If Bruce is too washed up to play anymore, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind Finley still getting minutes.

NRHector
02-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Bruce was like a fire extinguisher,he could shut down any shooter that was en fuego, I think he can still play with limited minutes but he's a business man now:depressed

ElNono
02-08-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm pretty sure Bruce could have ended in a team like Boston if he wanted to. I think his retirement has more to do with not being able to play for the Spurs and stay in San Antonio.

02-08-2010, 02:24 AM
spurs fans need to stop living in the past. bowen is gone and is incapable of returning. if you thought he lost a few steps in 2009, think how even more steps he lost when he turned 38. deal with it.

alchemist
02-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Sometimes Pop is too much of a smartass for himself.

tmtcsc
02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I think people are forgetting that Bruce's effectiveness was diminished after the 2007 championship. He was getting called for fouls quite a bit and was an offensive liability.

He WAS a great defender but it was time to move on. He couldn't bring it like he used to.

No harm in that. I still think he could have played somewhere in the league in some capacity but he called it a career and moved on after being cut by the Bucks.

Phenomanul
02-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Well as "slow" as some people think he may have been...

I vividly remember Bowen being asked to slow down Nash, V. Carter, Ben Gordon, among others, last year... and being quite effective...

Certain stints on Billups also come to mind...

This year the Spurs seem to let someone else from the opposing team light them up for career highs....

NRHector
02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I think people are forgetting that Bruce's effectiveness was diminished after the 2007 championship. He was getting called for fouls quite a bit and was an offensive liability.

He WAS a great defender but it was time to move on. He couldn't bring it like he used to.

No harm in that. I still think he could have played somewhere in the league in some capacity but he called it a career and moved on after being cut by the Bucks.Could it be that Stern asked the Refs to start calling more fouls on Bruce so he won't make Stern's protege look bad when Bruce was playing D on them