PDA

View Full Version : Artest

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Regardless of wether Bynum or Kobe will play, if you watched enough of the Lakers this season, you know that Phil loves to pull the bigs a bit out of the paint on occasion and go to Artest almost right under the rim. Being as strong as Ron Ron is, he normally gets away with a basket, a foul and sometimes both. How would you cover against this with out current roster? I'm pretty sure Dick will start on him, but I don't think he'll be much more than a nuisance for Ron. Do you put Bogans on him, even though he's been sucking lately? Do you flat out go with a kid like Blair and see if you can get him back out to the perimeter?

Thoughts?

timvp
02-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I didn't like how RJ defended him last game. He go pushed around by Artest and then compounded issues by committing dumb fouls. Bogans would theoretically play well against Artest but if Bogans is in the game, he'll likely be put on Kobe.

Artest is the one matchup that makes me miss Udoka. Even though he's shorter and not as thick, Udoka used to manhandle Artest routinely.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Well, you could have Hill on Kobe and Bogans playing SF on Artest. Honestly, for what RJ has been giving us on offense lately, I doubt it would be much different. I just expect Hill to be in foul trouble early, so we really need Bogans to be available. Ideally, you want to keep Ron on the perimeter, or have him back people up, where you can send help.

TJastal
02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I think Pop needs to let RJ sink or swim here. This game will be a good measuring stick for what we can expect from RJ going forward IMO, on both sides of the ball.

Artest plays good defense and held Martell Webster (the guy that has torched the spurs) to 1-7 the other night, which was a big reason the blazers lost.

RJ needs to win this matchup or at least hold his own to secure the confidence of his teammates, coach, and fans that he will contribute in big games down the road.

TJastal
02-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I didn't like how RJ defended him last game. He go pushed around by Artest and then compounded issues by committing dumb fouls. Bogans would theoretically play well against Artest but if Bogans is in the game, he'll likely be put on Kobe.

Artest is the one matchup that makes me miss Udoka. Even though he's shorter and not as thick, Udoka used to manhandle Artest routinely.

Jefferson held his own in the last game, IMO, holding Artest to 3-12. Artest won the battle on the boards and that's to be expected.

RJ 5-8, 2-2 from deep, 2 reb, 2ast, 1stl, 3to, 2pf, 12 pts
Artest 3-12, 1-2 from deep, 8 reb (3 offensive), 1ast, 1stl, 3 to, 3pf, 13pt.

Indazone
02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Durable Stars Before the Trade
In the past two seasons, only two players have averaged at least 20.0 PPG while playing in every game: Richard Jefferson (pictured) and Kobe Bryant.

Player Team- PPG
Kobe Bryant Lakers 27.6
Richard Jefferson Bucks 21.1
Andre Iguodala 76ers 19.3
Andre Miller 76ers ------16.7

:lmao

Muser
02-08-2010, 11:30 AM
In the past two seasons, only two players have averaged at least 20.0 PPG while playing in every game: Richard Jefferson (pictured) and Kobe Bryant.

Player Team- PPG
Kobe Bryant Lakers 27.6

That's what being the number one option on a bad team can do to a player.

SenorSpur
02-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Good point. Another example of RJ getting exposed on defense. I never thought I would miss Udoka, but having read your post, I do now.

Cane
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Jefferson held his own in the last game, IMO, holding Artest to 3-12. Artest won the battle on the boards and that's to be expected.

RJ 5-8, 2-2 from deep, 2 reb, 2ast, 1stl, 3to, 2pf, 12 pts
Artest 3-12, 1-2 from deep, 8 reb (3 offensive), 1ast, 1stl, 3 to, 3pf, 13pt.

Not bad at all. Can't fault RJ for defending Artest.

duhoh
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM

Player Team- PPG
Kobe Bryant Lakers 27.6

knee-mac and ow ming comes to mind :lmao

widowmaker
02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Let RJ guard Ron and send a double team once he decides to post, make those bigs shoot from the outside and see what you get. The big thing here though is that Hill has a good chance at being in foul trouble tonight and thats just beacuse it's number 24 at home with a smaller 2nd year guy guarding him. I say Pop should start eihter Bogans or Mason (peferably Mason) on Kobe tonight and save Hill for the bench crew and see what you get. Most likley Hill will have a better balanced game for this particular game. One thing not to forget tonight, TEAM DEFENCE will = a win tonight no doubt in my mind.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Let RJ guard Ron and send a double team once he decides to post, make those bigs shoot from the outside and see what you get. The big thing here though is that Hill has a good chance at being in foul trouble tonight and thats just beacuse it's number 24 at home with a smaller 2nd year guy guarding him. I say Pop should start eihter Bogans or Mason (peferably Mason) on Kobe tonight and save Hill for the bench crew and see what you get. Most likley Hill will have a better balanced game for this particular game. One thing not to forget tonight, TEAM DEFENCE will = a win tonight no doubt in my mind.

The problem is not Ron posting up. The problem is in transition or back cuts. Ron runs straight to under the basket before the bigs get there. This is a situation where whoever is guarding him has to do their work early.

widowmaker
02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
The problem is not Ron posting up. The problem is in transition or back cuts. Ron runs straight to under the basket before the bigs get there. This is a situation where whoever is guarding him has to do their work early.

Oh my bad I thought you mean when he was in the post :lol. No but like I said TEAM DEFENCE is gonna be big this game, it's gonna be everyones responsibly to step up and win this game and to finally cut that corner and finsh this season strong and get ready for the playoffs.

Blackjack
02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Under normal circumstances, when the Lakers have a full compliment, Ron Ron doesn't worry me. Sure, he's a beast physically and the Spurs (like most the league) don't have a great player to match up with him. But the Lakers riding Artest means they're keeping Kobe and Gasol in the garage.

So I'd mix it up, even having Manu on him for stretches (a player that can outsmart him and draw fouls), and I'd use RJ as expendable flesh; he's a human shield for all intents and purposes. And in occasions like tonight, should Bryant, Bynum or both not play, I'd send some sporadic doubles and make him make as many decisions as possible; fronting and overplaying him to a degree, as to not let him set up and do nothing more than make a simple scoring play.

But the easiest way to neutralize a player, especially one with a physical mismatch and advantage, is to put his ass on the bench or force him into tenative play; foul-trouble would be ideal and with aggressive wing-play on the offensive end and some savvy play on the defensive end, combined with a player that's proven to be undisciplined at times and less than composed at others, there's a decent opportunity for that to occur.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Bowen's performance against Artest was a thing of beauty last season..Artest was killing us with his 3-pointers and drives..Pop put Bowen on him in the 2nd half of the game and he COMPLETELY killed Artest, he was horrible after Bruce was inserted against him..

If only..

ElNono
02-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Bowen's performance against Artest was a thing of beauty last season..Artest was killing us with his 3-pointers and drives..Pop put Bowen on him in the 2nd half of the game and he COMPLETELY killed Artest, he was horrible after Bruce was inserted against him..

If only..

We've moved on. So how do you see this working out with this roster?

Fpoonsie
02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
We've moved on. So how do you see this working out with this roster?

Pop?

Spurs Brazil
02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
RJ was terrible on Artest last game; maybe Pop give Bogans a chance on Artest and put Hill on Kobe. I just don't want to see Finley tonight

widowmaker
02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
RJ was terrible on Artest last game; maybe Pop give Bogans a chance on Artest and put Hill on Kobe. I just don't want to see Finley tonight

I really dont think Hill should guard Kobe to begin the game. This is the way I think they should start.

PG/ TP
SG/ Money
SF/ Bogans
PF/ TD
C/ Mcdyess

Bench

PG/ Hill (on D he guards Kobe)
SG/ Ginobili
SF/ RJ
PF/ Beast
C/ Ratlif

With everyone else filling in for guys in foul trouble.

DaBears
02-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Is it possible for a trade sraight up between Lakers & Spurs swapping JR for Artest..

DaBears
02-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Im sure we could even throw in Count Finley....

raspsa
02-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Ging to need a help defender to come quick preferably from his blind side. Artest has very little lift in his shot so easier than most to block. Then he can get frustrated very quickly.

SCdac
02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
All in all, I think Artest is overrated and generally if the game is on the line for LA Ron is one of their better players I'd like to force into taking the shot. He's going to have those 2-8, 3-9 kind of nights. His .387 career playoff FG% and .277 3PT% for the Rockets (post-season) doesn't scare me, and he doesn't strike me as a real clutch, accurate, shooter. When we're playing him, turn him into a shooter as much as possible, IMO. Having said that, I'm not saying we shouldn't respect his game when he's out there, especially because the Lakers are deep in star-talent. It's his gritty and strong defense that I worry about more than anything.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Artest does not worry me at all. He is so bad down low, especially if you mix up looks. He is so slow and rigid and not a good finisher. RJ sucked last time, but with more effort he could do just fine.

Artest is a very good interior passer, so you have to be careful with lazy double teams. He can also draw fouls, but like I said, just don't bail him out.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm kind of leaning with DPG on this..

Artest is pretty difficult to game-plan for..he plays against himself most of the time TBH..he's pretty bad at scoring below the 3-point line, especially for a guy with his size and ability..I don't think he's a guy you focus on..if he plays well, then you accept it IMO..if RJ plays hard, he should be able to play with him..Jefferson is laterally slow, but he's a pretty big/strong guy, so facing Artest should be easier for him if he puts some effort into it, which wasn't the case last time..Artest is incredibly slow and has very little control once he drives inside..

The only thing I'm worried about is the whistles he's going to get..he was getting a lot of calls in SA, so I only imagine what he'll get in LA..not to mention the constant handchecks he's now allowed getting away with since he wears a Lakers jersey..

exstatic
02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
I'd put Blair on him. Artest's days of breaking people down off the dribble are as gone as Bowen. He's not going around Blair, and he sure as shit isn't taking that big ol' boy into the post.