PDA

View Full Version : MVP awards in the NFL are a joke

MiamiHeat
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
might as well just rename the NFL MVP and the Super Bowl MVP awards to

"Quarterback on a winning team award"

why does drew brees win the super bowl mvp, but tracy porter doesn't? or how about any of the other guys on that team?

Football is a sport where the QB will always get all the exposure by default of his position and unfairly gets too much credit.

why is peyton manning the NFL MVP and not Chris Johnson, who had a historic NFL season, possibly the greatest or 2nd greatest by any back in history? CJ ran for more yards from scrimmage than any back in NFL history.

yet instead, peyton wins 4th regular season MVP.

if the NFL's argument is, "Well, remove Peyton off the Colts, and they don't make the playoffs"....

well, that's by default because the QB position is very important in football. it doesn't mean he had a better season than CJ did.

it's just a stupid award and I am tired of seeing the QB's get all the credit and guys on defense have to have superhuman games to get any notice for MVP's, while QB's can have average games and win MVP's by default of their position because they are so involved in the offense.

Dr. Gonzo
02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Then stop watching.

The Gemini Method
02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Um...Drew Brees earned the Super Bowl MVP...it wasn't like this was undeserved. 32 of 39 for 288 yards, 2 tds, and no picks is a worthy performance. Who else got the Saints to the Tracy Porter pick-six moment? The one person who could've gotten it besides Porter, and I say this merely as an opinion, was Garrett Hartley. The kid was damn accurate on his 3 kicks. Pierre Thomas was crucial as well, but this year it was really not even close to whom was the Super Bowl MVP...

MiamiHeat
02-08-2010, 12:48 PM
by default though because of the position he plays

that's not really fair to the defensive guys who helped shut down the colts to 7 points in the final 3 quarters of the game.

what about peyton vs chris johnson

The Gemini Method
02-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I thought Chris Johnson deserved the MVP, but he played for a team that went 0-6 for the first part of the season. Is that worthy of an MVP? I thought Brees had a more deserving year than Peyton, but he got the one that really matters...

MiamiHeat
02-08-2010, 01:00 PM
35 NFL MVP's have gone to Quarterbacks
14 NFL MVP's to Running backs
2 NFL MVP's to Defensive players
1 NFL MVP to a Kicker

dumb.

Fpoonsie
02-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Um...Drew Brees earned the Super Bowl MVP...it wasn't like this was undeserved. 32 of 39 for 288 yards, 2 tds, and no picks is a worthy performance. Who else got the Saints to the Tracy Porter pick-six moment? The one person who could've gotten it besides Porter, and I say this merely as an opinion, was Garrett Hartley. The kid was damn accurate on his 3 kicks. Pierre Thomas was crucial as well, but this year it was really not even close to whom was the Super Bowl MVP...

Agreed. Hartley was MONEY last night. I thought Brees was deserving, but had Hartley missed one of those 3, NO maybe loses their momentum, they give Peyton the ball with excellent field position, etc.

That boy got laid last night (by atleast 2 of NO's finest), and's mos def gettin PAID this offseason.

MiamiHeat
02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
it's just a little annoying to see the award keep going to QB's just because football is a sport where the ball goes through their hands the most by default of their position.

other guys were deserving, and that pick by Porter ENDED a potential scoring drive that would have tied the game. that was ENORMOUS. who knows what could have happened if they went to overtime.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Defensive players should get consideration for the award more often. I have a hard time believing Ray Lewis wasn't any less valuable to the Ravens in 2000 than Marshall Faulk was to the Rams.

DBryant88
02-08-2010, 02:13 PM
as for the entire D-Line for the Giants during their superbowl upset

FromWayDowntown
02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
It's inconceivable to me that an offensive lineman would ever win a major award in the NFL, but there are plenty of times when the way the offensive line plays -- or even the way a single offensive lineman plays -- is the biggest factor in whether or not his team wins a game.

My bigger problem with the NFL media types is the way in which they dote on particular players and favor them over other guys they haven't yet started to dote on.

The Gemini Method
02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Sports is all about marketability. Is it fair? Hell no. However, if you're going to want to be noticed, you have to play the glamour positions. Starting pitcher in the MLB and QB in the NFL. You're going to be given an undeniable advantage to being praised for your play, but at the same time be ridiculed for the slightest mistake or indiscretion. Any award is always going to have its detractors because, well, there is only one award for so many derseving players. I say have two MVPs for each confrence/league and quite possibly throw in a Defensive MVP award or do away with all awards. And by the way, who really cares about an individually centered award for a team sport?

DAF86
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
35 NFL MVP's have gone to Quarterbacks
14 NFL MVP's to Running backs
2 NFL MVP's to Defensive players
1 NFL MVP to a Kicker

dumb.

Wow, when was that?

The Gemini Method
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Wow, when was that?

Mark Moseley of the Redskins won the NFL MVP in 1982...

LakerHater
02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah, everyone I watched with thought the Hartley shoulda won MVP!

DAF86
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Mark Moseley of the Redskins won the NFL MVP in 1982...

Thanks, what did he do that was so special?

The Gemini Method
02-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I have no idea...1982 was a strike shortened season and I was merely 2 years old lol.