PDA

View Full Version : David Aldridge on Manu Ginobili

nbaman99
02-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Manu Ginobili never thought he'd wear another team's uniform. Now, he has to allow that it is possible.

"I said it many times: if you had asked me a year ago, a year and a half ago, it was basically no question in my mind that I was going to be a Spur, probably, forever," Ginobili said last week. "But it didn't happen. Injuries first, Olympic Games or whatever, it didn't happen, and now I'm three months away from becoming a free agent. So I know it's going to happen. And I owe it to myself. It's probably going to be my last contract. So I'm going to sit, study the offers, see what's out there for me and then make a decision."

The 32-year-old Ginobili now knows that there is no contract extension coming from the Spurs, and that he probably won't be in San Antonio next season. The Spurs' window for paying luxury tax is for this year and next only, and Ginobili isn't going to sign for just one year when there's so much uncertainty about the ongoing labor negotiations. So for now, he plays on, trying to regain the form that made him so important during San Antonio's title runs.

But the numbers don't lie. Ginobili's production has dropped from 19.5 points per game in 2007-08, to 15.5 points last season and 13.2 points this season. He's averaging just 11 points and shooting just 37 percent away from home. And though Ginobili swears he feels great physically and is getting his legs back after being limited the past two seasons with ankle troubles, San Antonio's fear is that the past few years serve as prologue.

Last week's TNT game in Portland crystalized the issue. For much of the game, Ginobili was brilliant, doing all of the things that have made him so valuable for the Spurs and so maddening for opponents. But in the fourth quarter, neither Ginobili nor the Spurs could close the deal, and he missed a wide-open three in the closing seconds that would have tied the score. One game, one shot, I know, and maybe Ginobili does have another great run in him.

But Ginobili's injuries and past commitments to the Argentinian National Team for international competition, which culminated in a gold medal for the Argentines in Athens in 2004, combined with the Spurs' long playoff runs this past decade, have put a lot of mileage on his tires. Ginobili is done with international play now after Spurs coach Gregg Popovich made his displeasure plain. But San Antonio is willing to let him explore free agency -- and willing, it seems, to let him walk.

"It's different," Ginobili said. "I was in this situation after my second year in the league, when I was a free agent. But I didn't think it was going to be at this point. But now it will and now I've got to make up my mind. And I'm going to be ready to change teams if I have to"...

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/david_aldridge/02/08/morning.tip/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

raspsa
02-08-2010, 04:00 PM
It's almost unthinkable but I think the reports are right and Manu may be playing his last year with the Spurs. If his game suffers, he will be gone. If he plays well, other teams will outbid the Spurs for his services. Extending his contract was the best way to retain him but the FO isn't willing to take the gamble. He was bound to leave sooner or later. just wish it was the latter.

jason1301
02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I will always be a fan of Manu no matter he plays for the Spurs of not. Its going to be sad to see him in another jersey.

SpurNation
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Trading him and Jefferson + Mahinmi/expiring for Iguodala and Dalembert would help get this team another player like Manu in his prime in Iguodala AND a great defensive big to play alongside Tim for the rest of Duncan's contract.

Spurs could then negotiate with Manu this summer about returning to the Spurs next season while suring up it's perimeter and interior defense now.

baseline bum
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm really getting tired of Manu's drama-queen act every time the Spurs are on national TV. He's not living up to his contract this year and he didn't last year either.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Is this new? I mean, sound like the same old quotes from a few weeks back...

doobs
02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Once the trade deadline passes . . . EXTEND THIS TURKEY!

I'm tired of hearing about him losing his innocence or whatever.

TMTTRIO
02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I've been feeling this coming for a while and maybe this is why George Hill is being groomed into being a SG alongside Tony Parker. I always thought Manu would always be a Spur so it'll be sad to see him not retire as a Spur but it's business and I understand each other's concerns.

waly.mg
02-08-2010, 05:12 PM
The question here is:

Why Pop and the Spurs are going to Pay Next Year 15 Millions to Jefferson if they dont want to pay that money for Manu?

The only answer can be: With Jefferson and Manu´s resign and trade, the Spurs can play hard in the Free Agent Market, For example could pay 25-30 Millions to Lebron James, Melo or d Wade in a Sign and Trade.

lmbebo
02-08-2010, 05:15 PM
The question here is:

Why Pop and the Spurs are going to Pay Next Year 15 Millions to Jefferson if they dont want to pay that money for Manu?

The only answer can be: With Jefferson and Manu´s resign and trade, the Spurs can play hard in the Free Agent Market, For example could pay 25-30 Millions to Lebron James, Melo or d Wade in a Sign and Trade.

We are not players in the market really for any of those players. Their teams would have to be willing to take back what we would offer. Manu would have to agree to a sign and trade. Teams would have to accept Jefferson as well.
Teams would at least would likely want some young promising talent as well.

timvp
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Is this new? I mean, sound like the same old quotes from a few weeks back...

I can't find the quotes elsewhere so it looks like they are new quotes. If that is correct, Manu's whining really is getting old.

He turned down an extension to play in the Olympics. The Spurs were ready to make him a Spur for life. He. Turned. It. Down. Manu needs to stop being such a baby and live with his own decision.

Extending him after the trade deadline sounds like it needs to happen. It would obviously calm him down and allow him to focus solely on basketball again. Then, hopefully, he could start hitting shots outside of ten feet again . . .

ElNono
02-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I can't find the quotes elsewhere so it looks like they are new quotes. If that is correct, Manu's whining really is getting old.

He turned down an extension to play in the Olympics. The Spurs were ready to make him a Spur for life. He. Turned. It. Down. Manu needs to stop being such a baby and live with his own decision.

Extending him after the trade deadline sounds like it needs to happen. It would obviously calm him down and allow him to focus solely on basketball again. Then, hopefully, he could start hitting shots outside of ten feet again . . .

The article mentions the quotes as being from a week ago, which coincides with this (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145475) article from January 29 which basically says pretty much the same thing. I thought I heard that before. The article also mentions him being asked about it, which wouldn't surprise me if it was indeed Aldridge.

Funnily enough, you said then:

As I've said previously, Manu is being a bit of a drama queen about his contract situation. He could have already received his extension if that was what he wanted -- but he decided to play for his NT instead. That was his decision and he should just live with the consequences. Contract extensions are pretty rare -- and are unheard of for players who have gone through two straight injury plagued season.

timvp
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
The article mentions the quotes as being from a week ago, which coincides with this (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145475) article from January 29 which basically says pretty much the same thing. I thought I heard that before.Are the quotes from that article? If so, no wonder I couldn't find the quotes.

Usually, DA gets his own quotes ... I doubt he'd steal them from a Spanish interview but maybe he did.

Funnily enough, you said then:

At least that timvp guy is consistent :tu

Hooks
02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Who do you guys think the Spurs would get to replace Manu if we don't resign him?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Are the quotes from that article? If so, no wonder I couldn't find the quotes.
Usually, DA gets his own quotes ... I doubt he'd steal them from a Spanish interview but maybe he did.

The article was written by Manu for his website and commented on the situation. He wrote it about a week ago, and he prefaced those comments with 'somebody asked me'. He didn't mention Aldridge, but considering he wrote back then the same thing he's quoted as saying now, and the dates match, I would say the guy he mentions in his article is probably David.

FkLA
02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
LOL @ Manu not living up to his contract last year, I mean the man suffered an injury ffs...this year you could say he isnt earning his money although the same could be said about everyone on the team outside of Duncan, Hill, and Blair. Besides we were paying him like $8 mill/yr when he was the third best SG in the league right behind Kobe and Wade, whereas most players of his caliber had max deals. Fans are in no position to say he hasnt earned his money because regardless of what he's done the last two years he has still outplayed his contract by alot. Also Manu is one of those legendary Spurs players who's jersey will hang from the rafters and who should retire a Spur, Manu has all the right to be upset about the FO not feeling the same.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 05:41 PM
this shits getting really old really fucking fast.

stfu and play.

baseline bum
02-08-2010, 05:44 PM
LOL @ Manu not living up to his contract last year, I mean the man suffered an injury ffs...this year you could say he isnt earning his money although the same could be said about everyone on the team outside of Duncan, Hill, and Blair. Besides we were paying him like $8 mill/yr when he was the third best SG in the league right behind Kobe and Wade, whereas most players of his caliber had max deals. Fans are in no position to say he hasnt earned his money because regardless of what he's done the last two years he has still outplayed his contract by alot.

I wouldn't extend Jefferson either. Parker's on the right side of 30 and doesn't have a long injury history pointing to his body breaking down like Manu's has. His injury last season wasn't some isolated event. He broke down the year before that too, and he looks like he still hasn't recovered. $11 million for 40% shooting in 27 minutes a night is a rip-off, and if Manu expects that kind of pay to continue, let him walk.

timvp
02-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Who do you guys think the Spurs would get to replace Manu if we don't resign him?Someone much worse.

The article was written by Manu for his website and commented on the situation. He wrote it about a week ago, and he prefaced those comments with 'somebody asked me'. He didn't mention Aldridge, but considering he wrote back then the same thing he's quoted as saying now, and the dates match, I would say the guy he mentions in his article is probably David.Do you think a contract extension would help Manu play better this season?

FkLA
02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't extend Jefferson either. Parker's on the right side of 30 and doesn't have a long injury history pointing to his body breaking down like Manu's has. His injury last season wasn't some isolated event. He broke down the year before that too, and he looks like he still hasn't recovered. $11 million for 40% shooting in 27 minutes a night is a rip-off, and if Manu expects that kind of pay to continue, let him walk.

The man, even if miles have taken a toll on his body, is still a vital part of this team. He's the best passer and playmaker we have and still goes balls out every single game, we all know Manu brings so much more to the table than just shooting. Besides like I said regardless of what he is doing this year or last year he outplayed his contract tremendously...he was the third best SG in the league making $8 mill/yr while everyone of his caliber was on max or close to max deals. I dont even think people realize what a bargain that was.

Also I dont think he expects 11 mill/yr on his next contract, I think 3 yrs for 25 mill could get the job done. More than fair and deserved in my opinion.

wildbill2u
02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
We have retired the numbers of six players--Johnny Moore, James Silas, George Gervin, David Robinson, Sean Elliott and Avery Johnson.

The only one that wasn't traded away by the Spurs to another team is DROB. Fans didn't like any of the trades, but we got over it---and for the most part, so did the players.

I won't like it if Manu gets traded and will miss him, but in every case but one--Sean Elliott---the Spurs FO's judgement was proved correct and the player's best days were behind him.

SenorSpur
02-08-2010, 05:57 PM
If Manu is clearly healthy, as he claims, I'm starting to wonder whether all this contract uncertainty is distracting his play. There is certainly something missing from his game.

Whatever the case, Manu should accept the fact that this situation is of HIS own doing. I wouldn't want to see the guy walk, but I cannot fault the Spurs for shutting down extension talks once Manu got injured.

If he does walk, I expect an entirely new swingman rotation in here for next year. After all, at the rate he's going, RJ will likely be gone before Manu.

sabar
02-08-2010, 05:58 PM
If we lose Manu we pretty much have no player that brings all those intangibles. Losing Bruce, Horry, and Oberto without getting BBIQ in return has hurt in that area. Another year on Duncan and we are just a bunch of players that can put up numbers. What you see is what you get.

I'd like to think that Duncan can carry an entire team at his age, but I don't see it. We need Manu, but at the right price.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Manu will never find a place as great as SA for him. It's quite dumb from him to whine like that a couple of weeks before the trade deadline. And he should keep a low profile. He has received $19M in 07-08 and 08-09 while he hasn't helped at all Spurs to win a title.

I'm all for Spurs keeping Manu for this year and after it but this attitude doesn't help his cause.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Do you think a contract extension would help Manu play better this season?

He admitted that the topic was in his head before writing that piece (urunobili did a translation of it. It's on that thread), but he basically said he was no longer concerned about that, and that he'll do what's best come June after sitting with Many. I don't know how much of that is self-talk and how much is real. He's the only one that knows. Honestly, I think he's been playing well lately (maybe the Clippers is a game where he didn't play that great), it's just his shot that's not falling and hasn't fallen all season pretty much.

DAF86
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Manu will never find a place as great as SA for him. It's quite dumb from him to whine like that a couple of weeks before the trade deadline. And he should keep a low profile. He has received $19M in 07-08 and 08-09 while he hasn't helped at all Spurs to win a title.

I'm all for Spurs keeping Manu for this year and after it but this attitude doesn't help his cause.

In 07-08 he helped San Antonio a lot more than pretty much any other Spurs player.

Stringer_Bell
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Here's some FO logic from B&B Entreprises:

- If the Spurs have made it clear to Manu that they are not seeing him in "good enough" form to extend his contract, then they obviously do not have confidence that he is "good enough" to be a part of a championship run.
- If the Spurs do not think he is "good enough" to be part of a championship run, they will use Manu's trade weight to get someone that can be part of a championship run.
- If the Spurs simply stay the course and let him go after they are unceremoniously dumped out of the playoffs, then it shows the FO lacks killer instinct after the RJ trade.

Therefore, the Spurs will trade Manu to stop the bleeding and hopefully gain another productive piece instead of trying to sign a replacement in the off-season that ain't worth jack shit. :(

ElNono
02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I just wanted to point out that those comments are from last week, when he was talking about that stuff. This isn't any 'new' whining...

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
The question here is:

Ugh, we're not in the running for any of those guys, put down the crackpipe.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Sounds like he's playing his part, looking ahead to contract negotiations and talking tough.

Timing is weird though.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 06:16 PM
In 07-08 he helped San Antonio a lot more than pretty much any other Spurs player.

The main reason Spurs lost against Lakers was Manu being owned by Sasha freaking Vujacic.

I don't give a fuck if a player is great for a couple of playoffs series. Spurs' goal is to win the championship, not to reach the WCF.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
right, because when Manu is out on the floor he never gives 110%. He is the Laziest Spur around.

wtf are you talking about... him giving 110% out on the floor has nothing to do with him continously talking about free agency when this team has much bigger problems to deal with then his next contract.

its just simply annoying. we all get he is going to test free agency.. yes, thats too bad, yes that sucks, but thats already set in stone. hes said it 1000 fucking times now. so how about he worries about his team NOW this year.

fucking star studded LEBRON JAMES wont even talk about free agency right now..........

FkLA
02-08-2010, 06:21 PM
The main reason Spurs lost against Lakers was Manu being owned by Sasha freaking Vujacic.

I don't give a fuck if a player is great for a couple of playoffs series. Spurs' goal is to win the championship, not to reach the WCF.

Well in that case Parker has earned like 25+ mill the last two years without helping the Spurs win a championship, Duncan 35+ mill. Thats significantly more than Manu. I mean you cant just say "Manu has earned 19 mill over the last two year w/o bringing a championship" as if he's the highest paid player or as if he's the only reason the Spurs are no longer winning titles.

alchemist
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
He was underpaid in his prime, he's being overpayed now in his twilight. The man is looking for a final big paycheck, the Spurs are looking to keep him at a steep discount. Let's see who wins :downspin::toast

DAF86
02-08-2010, 06:27 PM

He still did something to help the Spurs that season, if he would have done nothing the Spurs wouldn't have made the playoffs let alone the WCF.

SenorSpur
02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
What I don't understand is why Manu doesn't assume more responsibility for this situation that he helped create. Basically, he's been rendered unavailable for the past 2 postseasons. I love the guy, but he should look at the big picture here. Of course, it is a business, as he's quickly found out.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Some of you guys are really funny... He got injured in 2008 busting his ass for the Spurs throughout the entire season... He didn't even play ball the summer before...

Bruno
02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
He still did something to help the Spurs that season, if he would have done nothing the Spurs wouldn't have made the playoffs let alone the WCF.

Awesome, let's raise a banner for having reached the playoffs and the WCF.

Spurs' goal is to win a championship. A player who is consistently good is an hundred time more valuable than a player who is great for some games and bad for other ones.

Spurs' hopes to win a championship have ended with a Manu's injury both in 08 and 09. I like Manu but he should shut the fuck up and realizes that he has been paid $19M for not being there when the team needed him the most.

bdictjames
02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I can't imagine Manu Ginobili in any other jersey than the Spurs or Argentinian team.

It will be a sad day when #20 plays against his team. Hopefully we can resign him for perhaps like the MLE, or 6-7 million, 2 years.

ffadicted
02-08-2010, 06:48 PM
is this new? I mean, sound like the same old quotes from a few months back...

fify

DAF86
02-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Awesome, let's raise a banner for having reached the playoffs and the WCF.

Spurs' goal is to win a championship. A player who is consistently good is an hundred time more valuable than a player who is great for some games and bad for other ones.

Spurs' hopes to win a championship have ended with a Manu's injury both in 08 and 09. I like Manu but he should shut the fuck up and realizes that he has been paid $19M for not being there when the team needed him the most.

So I guess that 99% of the NBA players don't deserve the money they get 'cause they don't help their teams win champiosnhips, I agree that Manu should STFU but your argument is stupid.

ploto
02-08-2010, 06:54 PM
David Aldridge spoke to Manu last week (IIRC in Portland) and asked him about it, and Manu answered his questions.

Muser
02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Manu please STFU..

Bruno
02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
So I guess that 99% of the NBA players don't deserve the money they get 'cause they don't help their teams win champiosnhips.

Well, you guess wrong.

rascal
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM

I agree. If you extend Manu solely on what he has done in the past and not what he will do in the future then championships won't be in the future.

He needs to be evaluated on his current play and the spurs are smart to wait this out.

rascal
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM

- If the Spurs have made it clear to Manu that they are not seeing him in "good enough" form to extend his contract, then they obviously do not have confidence that he is "good enough" to be a part of a championship run.
- If the Spurs do not think he is "good enough" to be part of a championship run, they will use Manu's trade weight to get someone that can be part of a championship run.
- If the Spurs simply stay the course and let him go after they are unceremoniously dumped out of the playoffs, then it shows the FO lacks killer instinct after the RJ trade.

Therefore, the Spurs will trade Manu to stop the bleeding and hopefully gain another productive piece instead of trying to sign a replacement in the off-season that ain't worth jack shit. :(

This would be the best course of action to take.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 07:25 PM

I expect the Spurs to wait out until right after the trade deadline. If he's not gone, then I'm pretty confident they're going to start talking to his agent about an extension (provided he stays as healthy as he is now). Wether he accepts what the Spurs offer or not, that's a different story. At the very least, I expect a low-ball offer.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Spurs' hopes to win a championship have ended with a Duncan's injury both in 00 and 06. I like Duncan but he should shut the fuck up and realizes that he has been paid $26M for not being there when the team needed him the most.

See how easy it is? See how retarded your point is?

Injuries happen. They didn't injure themselves on purpose. Neither wanted to have inuries, and they both wanted to be healthy when the team needed them.
it's just out of their control, period.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 08:29 PM
whoa easy on the duncan bashing :nope

baseline bum
02-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Injuries happen. They didn't injure themselves on purpose. Neither wanted to have inuries, and they both wanted to be healthy when the team needed them.

Huh? Duncan's 41 pts and 15 rebs is why the Spurs lost game 7?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Huh? Duncan's 41 pts and 15 rebs is why the Spurs lost game 7?

No, Duncan having planar fasciitis is why it even got to a game 7. Remember Diop looking like Wilt Chamberlain?

baseline bum
02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
No, Duncan having planar fasciitis is why it even got to a game 7. Remember Diop looking like Wilt Chamberlain?

No. I remember Diop looking like Ian Mahinmi.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:34 PM
No. I remember Diop looking like Ian Mahinmi.

Then dust off the tapes and take another look at OT in game 7...

Allanon
I don't know if this is a bargaining tactic by Manu or if it was translated incorrectly but that "And I owe it to myself." sounds like he's pretty pissed at the Spurs.

DPG21920
This is so pointless. Manu had his extension and he left it on the table, yes or no?

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't know if this is a bargaining tactic by Manu or if it was translated incorrectly but that "And I owe it to myself." sounds like he's pretty pissed at the Spurs.

Why would he be?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
And BTW, I don't hold anything against Duncan... he is a warrior and gave us all he could give us. Same for Manu in the series against NO in 2008, when he was already injured.
Shit like this happens. Players get banged up and injured. I'm not going to hold it against them because they left it all out there for the team.

Allanon
02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Why would he be?

I dunno. I don't keep up with the Manu situation. You guys know better than me.

All I read was a couple of weeks ago where he said that "lost innocence" line. Then he adds this which sounds like he's saying "F the loyalties, this one's for me."

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
This is so pointless. Manu had his extension and he left it on the table, yes or no?

No, the Spurs took it off the table when he didn't reject playing for the NT in Beijing.

duncan228
02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Diop came in rested, he only played 10 minutes. Duncan played 50. Duncan left it all on the court, he needed two bags of fluid after that game.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 08:38 PM

It's sure that Duncan was damn bad against Mavs in 06. :rolleyes

And RIF.
Have I said it was Manu's fault that he was injured? No.

Spurs have paid a lot of money a player who wasn't able to help them when they needed him. It's quite unreal that this player whines because he didn't get an extension.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Diop came in rested, he only played 10 minutes. Duncan played 50. Duncan left it all on the court, he needed two bags of fluid after that game.

No doubt. And Duncan played with planar fasciitis pretty much almost all season. He was a warrior, always been. Even last season with the knees banged up, he still showed up to play hard every night.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 08:42 PM
No, the Spurs took it off the table when he didn't reject playing for the NT in Beijing.

No. The said here Manu, make your decision. He made the decision. He walked away.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
:lol at comparing Duncan to Manu. Duncan lead the team to 4 titles. Manu?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
And RIF.
Have I said it was Manu's fault that he was injured? No.

No, you said he was paid a lot to suck against Vujacic, when you know damn well he has been injured since the Suns series.

Spurs have paid a lot of money a player who wasn't able to help them when they needed him. It's quite unreal that this player whines because he didn't get an extension.

How is he whining? He's saying that he's convinced he'll get to free agency and that he'll decide then. He's not asking the Spurs for anything.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
No. The said here Manu, make your decision. He made the decision. He walked away.

Not according to what Manu said. He said contract negotiations with his agent were in place until the traveled to Argentina to start the rehab in his ankle. At that point, and this is according to him, the Spurs decided to unilaterally terminate conversations.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:46 PM
:lol at comparing Duncan to Manu. Duncan lead the team to 4 titles. Manu?

Who's comparing Duncan to Manu at leading the team to titles? Strawman much?

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Not according to what Manu said. He said contract negotiations with his agent were in place until the traveled to Argentina to start the rehab in his ankle. At that point, and this is according to him, the Spurs decided to unilaterally terminate conversations.

So which is it? Did they offer him something? Or were they just talking and never made an offer once he left for Argentina?

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Who's comparing Duncan to Manu at leading the team to titles? Strawman much?

You said "your argument sucks because in the years we did not win, Tim was getting paid to not help"...and you brought up Diop.

Tim gets a pass that Manu does not because of what he has done. And the comparison of Tim vs Diop moment, versus Manu season(s) long injuries is crazy.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
No, you said he was paid a lot to suck against Vujacic, when you know damn well he has been injured since the Suns series.

And?

How is he whining? He's saying that he's convinced he'll get to free agency and that he'll decide then. He's not asking the Spurs for anything.

Then re-read what he is saying.

Strangely I'm not the only one who thinks he is whining. We should be all wrong and you should be right.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:49 PM
So which is it? Did they offer him something? Or were they just talking and never made an offer once he left for Argentina?

They stopped negotiations when he left for Argentina to start the rehab. Obviously it was a way to pressure him.

The extent of his 'whining' is that he has expressed he's disappointed that the Spurs haven't come back to the table since then.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 08:49 PM
with manus past history of injuries i dont see any other logical thing to do then to wait this season out and see if he can stay healthy... the spurs are doing this the right way. manu on the other hand... isn't. and i dont see any reason for manu to be upset by this decision by the spurs especially with his past injuries.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 08:51 PM
They stopped negotiations when he left for Argentina to start the rehab. Obviously it was a way to pressure him.

The extent of his 'whining' is that he has expressed he's disappointed that the Spurs haven't come back to the table since then.

Why would they? So you are saying there was definitely no official offer?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Then re-read what he is saying.
Strangely I'm not the only one who thinks he is whining. We should be all wrong and you should be right.

I still don't see where's the whining...

- He was asked about his contract situation.
- He said he's disappointed that the Spurs didn't offer and extension and that he'll take a look at his options in June.

Where's the whining exactly?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Tim gets a pass that Manu does not because of what he has done. And the comparison of Tim vs Diop moment, versus Manu season(s) long injuries is crazy.

Bruno wasn't talking about season long injuries. He was talking about being injury-free in the playoffs. If you're going to comment, please catch up with the thread first.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Why would they? So you are saying there was definitely no official offer?

Why would they what?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
You said "your argument sucks because in the years we did not win, Tim was getting paid to not help"...and you brought up Diop.

And BTW, I brought the Diop argument because it's exactly the same as the Vujacic argument. It's a retarded argument. When healthy, there's no way what happened happens.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I still don't see where's the whining...

- He was asked about his contract situation.
- He said he's disappointed that the Spurs didn't offer and extension and that he'll take a look at his options in June.

Where's the whining exactly?

That's whining.
Maybe you didn't like the childish side of the word whining. You can call that complaining if you like it more but it's the same thing.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Why would they resume negotiations when they made an offer and he chose to his country over his team?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Why would they resume negotiations when they made an offer and he chose to his country over his team?

Maybe you can't read. They never made an offer. They walked away during conversations. There was no offer at the time.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Maybe you can't read. They never made an offer. They walked away during conversations. There was no offer at the time.

You are sure of this? Because I have heard differently. Can someone else confirm this?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
That's whining.
Maybe you didn't like the childish side of the word whining. You can call that complaining if you like it more but it's the same thing.

Saying that he thought the Spurs would make an offer is whining? Whatever, Bruno.

My point stands. If you hold against him having injuries then you have to hold it against Duncan too. Which is entirely stupid, IMO. These are guys that left it all out there for the franchise, no questions asked.

Heck, I don't think the Spurs should offer him anything up until after the trade deadline either. Makes business sense.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Also, :lol at the maybe you can't read comment. Can you read Manu's comments and not see he is whining?

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM
You are sure of this? Because I have heard differently. Can someone else confirm this?

Google is your friend: http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/09/04/did-manu-lose-a-contract-in-beijing/

baseline bum
02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
And BTW, I don't hold anything against Duncan... he is a warrior and gave us all he could give us. Same for Manu in the series against NO in 2008, when he was already injured.
Shit like this happens. Players get banged up and injured. I'm not going to hold it against them because they left it all out there for the team.

It's not like were talking about a fluke injury with Manu; if it was, no one in his right mind would want to lose him. His body is consistently breaking down now, and it's a pretty good bet to get even worse with age. Manu's athleticism hasn't looked good all season, and his stamina is awful even in pretty limited minutes now. Every few games we'll see him look like the old Manu, but overall his production is far from being worth $10.7 million.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Also, :lol at the maybe you can't read comment. Can you read Manu's comments and not see he is whining?

I make translations for his site all the time. I read him in Spanish, and I don't see him whining. You see what you want to see, I guess.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:09 PM
It's not like were talking about a fluke injury with Manu; if it was, no one in his right mind would want to lose him. His body is consistently breaking down now, and it's a pretty good bet to get even worse with age. Manu's athleticism hasn't looked good all season, and his stamina is awful even in pretty limited minutes now. Every few games we'll see him look like the old Manu, but overall his production is far from being worth $10.7 million.

No doubt. And as I said many times, there's no way the FO should offer anything at least until after the trade deadline. That said, I'm not going to hold against him getting injured. I mean, if you want to hold against him 2009, then I could see where you're coming from. But 2008? The guy left it all out there for the team.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
My point stands. If you hold against him having injuries then you have to hold it against Duncan too. Which is entirely stupid, IMO.

If it's your point, then I don't know why you talk to me because I've never hold against Manu his injuries.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
If it's your point, then I don't know why you talk to me because I've never hold against Manu his injuries.

That's entirely my point, and comes from this post:

timvp
02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
And I'm going to be ready to change teams if I have to

That's whining or being a baby or whatever you want to call it. If he said that this coming offseason or last summer, that's one thing. But to openly talk about changing teams in the middle of a season in which both he and the team are underachieving ... that's just lame. If the Spurs were steamrolling and Manu was on fire, it might be somewhat tolerable. Right now? He should be 100% concerned with the here and now.

Luckily for Manu he's the most popular player in Spurs history so he won't catch much heat. Plus, on top of being the most popular, he's also probably the most likable and he gives great effort, so no one will think he's slacking off to protest his contract. But seriously, now is not the time to be complaining or even talking about not getting an extension. I can't remember any Spurs player ever doing something like this ... and now isn't the time to start.

The Spurs made it clear they were willing to bribe him with an extension if he skipped the Olympics. He decided against it. Now the Spurs are doing the smart thing and not committing money to him until at least the trade deadline.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 09:13 PM
That does not say there was never an offer. That says negotiations were taken off the table. There could have still been an offer by the Spurs to which Manu's agent wanted to counter.

ivanfromwestwood
02-08-2010, 09:14 PM
manu is full of shit. he sounds all butt hurt that he hasnt got extended. does he really expect the spurs to GAMBLE on him being healthy. people that gamble play the odds and the odds say that manu will continue to decline and will most likely get hurt again.

DAF86
02-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Name another serious injury that Manu has had besides this ankle one.

timvp
02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Name another serious injury that Manu has had besides this ankle one.

The stress fracture was on the opposite ankle.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
That's entirely my point, and comes from this post:

How this post says that I'm holding injuries against Manu?

DAF86
02-08-2010, 09:18 PM
The stress fracture was on the opposite ankle.

Because of the original injury.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:20 PM
That's whining or being a baby or whatever you want to call it. If he said that this coming offseason or last summer, that's one thing. But to openly talk about changing teams in the middle of a season in which both he and the team are underachieving ... that's just lame. If the Spurs were steamrolling and Manu was on fire, it might be somewhat tolerable. Right now? He should be 100% concerned with the here and now.

Luckily for Manu he's the most popular player in Spurs history so he won't catch much heat. Plus, on top of being the most popular, he's also probably the most likable and he gives great effort, so no one will think he's slacking off to protest his contract. But seriously, now is not the time to be complaining or even talking about not getting an extension. I can't remember any Spurs player ever doing something like this ... and now isn't the time to start.

The Spurs made it clear they were willing to bribe him with an extension if he skipped the Olympics. He decided against it. Now the Spurs are doing the smart thing and not committing money to him until at least the trade deadline.

Context, LJ, context. That quote you posted is extracted from this:

Justo a mí me involucraron en un cambio directo con Phoenix por Stoudemire, pero no le veo el negocio para ninguno llevarse un jugador por 6 meses que en julio quedará libre.

Repito, no sé qué puede pasar, estoy abierto a todas las posibilidades. Si me tengo que ir de San Antonio no me molestará cambiar, lo hablaré con mi esposa (por suerte lo mellizos no van a opinar... todavía) y evaluaremos las posibilidades; sí me va a doler dejar atrás una historia de ocho años en esta ciudad, donde siempre estuve muy a gusto.

which translated means:

I was just involved in a trade rumor for a direct swap for Stoudemire with Phoenix, but I don't see the what's the good deal to get a player for 6 months that's going to be a FA in july.

I repeat, I don't know what will happen, I'm open to all possibilities. If I have to leave San Antonio I'm going to be ready to change teams if I have to, I'll talk about it with my wife (luckily the twins have no opinion... yet) and we'll evaluate the offer; It will definitely hurt me to leave behind a 8 year story with this city, where I have always been very comfortable.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:21 PM
That does not say there was never an offer. That says negotiations were taken off the table. There could have still been an offer by the Spurs to which Manu's agent wanted to counter.

Doesn't matter. Spurs walked off. Straight from the horse's mouth too.

timvp
02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
"It's different," Ginobili said. "I was in this situation after my second year in the league, when I was a free agent. But I didn't think it was going to be at this point. But now it will and now I've got to make up my mind. And I'm going to be ready to change teams if I have to"...

I repeat, I don't know what will happen, I'm open to all possibilities. If I have to leave San Antonio I'm going to be ready to change teams if I have to, I'll talk about it with my wife (luckily the twins have no opinion... yet) and we'll evaluate the offer; It will definitely hurt me to leave behind a 8 year story with this city, where I have always been very comfortable.[/I]

Those look like entirely different quotes.

MB20
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Shut up and play. Enough articles already about exploring free agency.
Manu: If reporters ask you anything about contract negotiations, give them the Pop look and walk away.
Whatever happens during free agency, everybody will be fine.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Those look like entirely different quotes.

I see. You got that one from the Aldridge quote. Never mind then.

The one I saw was from Manu and his article, which I translated so I recall pretty well. I thought you got it from there.

Carry on!

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:27 PM
How this post says that I'm holding injuries against Manu?

You're bitching about Manu not being able to outplay Sasha when you know he was injured. If that's not holding his injury against him, I don't know what it is.

If I misunderstood you, then I apologize. That was my entire point from the get go.

Bruno
02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
You're bitching about Manu not being able to outplay Sasha when you know he was injured. If that's not holding his injury against him, I don't know what it is.

If I misunderstood you, then I apologize. That was my entire point from the get go.

Yep, you misunderstood me.
Manu struggling against Lakers was of course because of his injury.
It isn't Manu's fault if he is injured.

I'm just saying that his injuries have really hurt Spurs and Manu appropriate reaction should be: "The NBA is a business. I've been injured a lot so it's logical that Spurs are careful with me and haven't offer me an extension."

ElNono
02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Yep, you misunderstood me.
Manu struggling against Lakers was of course because of his injury.
It isn't Manu's fault if he is injured.

I'm just saying that his injuries have really hurt Spurs and Manu appropriate reaction should be: "The NBA is a business. I've been injured a lot so it's logical that Spurs are careful with me and haven't offer me an extension."

That I agree with. :toast

diego
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
i dont agree with the duncan/diop : manu/vujacic comparison. duncan still contributed a lot that year, maybe better if he didnt have PF, but if we are looking for factors in 06 I would list pop, officiating, and the mavs being in a very good rhythm well before injuries.

but I think it is a valid point that injuries are part of the game and no one is immune to them. whenever tim, tony or manu get injured everyone here starts pointing fingers and acting like they are machines, "the team pays this much so you must perform this much". newsflash: machines break, even the expensive ones! and in a contact sport like basketball its obvious players get injured (some more than others) and might have to play through injury (some better than others, some more willing than others). IMO the big 3 had a good run of health, could have been better, but more importantly they played through a lot at a good level.

I remember a thread, I think at the beginning of 08 when tony injured his ankle vs minnie, people were debating how long it will take for him to be 100%. they dont have a status gauge! (and if they did, they'd need several!) 100% only exists in hindsight. and in an 82 game season, most players (the good ones anyway, the ones that are playing hard) probably spend all season with aches and pains.

all that said, the spurs will take manu's injury history into account and will probably low ball. just like manu will insist that his history has more than just injuries and will probably not take a smaller contract to "make up" for his injuries. nothing left but to wait and see. i too would rather manu not talk about it here on out, but then again he is asked about it every day.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Doesn't matter. Spurs walked off. Straight from the horse's mouth too.

Spurs went to play for their country? Manu walked.

SequSpur
02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm really getting tired of Manu's drama-queen act every time the Spurs are on national TV. He's not living up to his contract this year and he didn't last year either.

exactly....

ffadicted
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM

I agree with this, I wish Manu would just shut the fuck up and let his play do the talking

ElNono
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Spurs went to play for their country? Manu walked.

"Contract negotiations for an extension have been put off until after the surgery," Rudoy said. "The Spurs want to see how he recovers from the surgery."

There was no offer for Manu to accept. Spurs walked during negotiations. I think they did the right thing too.

DPG21920
02-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I think you are playing semantics. They wanted to extend Manu and gave him the choice. He chose to play for the NT. Which is his choice. I am fine with that, but the negotiations stopped because Manu walked away, not the Spurs. He made the choice for the Spurs.

ElNono
02-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I think you are playing semantics. They wanted to extend Manu and gave him the choice. He chose to play for the NT. Which is his choice. I am fine with that, but the negotiations stopped because Manu walked away, not the Spurs. He made the choice for the Spurs.

If Manu had an offer he simply could have taken it before going anywhere. There was no offer, thus nothing for him to accept. I'm sure Manu didn't think at the time that he was going to get a fracture on the other leg and miss the entire next season. I mean, the surgery was expected at the time, but the stress fracture was not.

In a way, I think it worked well for the Spurs. Now they can finally see if he will remain healthy and at what level he can play, and make an offer accordingly. For Manu it works also because ultimately he's in the driver's seat. He can choose to accept whatever the Spurs want to offer him, if they offer him anything, or he can sit out and test free agency.

weebo
02-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Manu will probably get some kind of offer from the Spurs at the end of the season if he doesn't get traded before that. The Spurs are playing this like smart businessmen. Why make an investment on someone who will produce low returns? Manu miscalculated Pop's and RC's loyalties just as Pop and RC miscalculated Manu's (playing for the NT). Had Manu never been injured he would either be signed to an extension or he would be holding all the cards. Now, however, the ball is in the Spurs court and they can choose to extend, trade, or let him walk. If Manu can get over the fact that he no longer is a 10.mil/year player and can get over being hurt, there is a good chance he'll comeback for two or three more years.

rascal
02-10-2010, 04:34 PM

Your point is Manu has not been reliable for 3 years now with injuries and now declining play.

Spursone
02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I'd much rather have a wounded Manu with a lot of Heart, than a Healthy RJ with NO HEART, Any day! :wow

LOL@MavsFan
02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Trading him and Jefferson + Mahinmi/expiring for Iguodala and Dalembert would help get this team another player like Manu in his prime in Iguodala AND a great defensive big to play alongside Tim for the rest of Duncan's contract.

Spurs could then negotiate with Manu this summer about returning to the Spurs next season while suring up it's perimeter and interior defense now.

:toastNice dream, but that wont happen

OldSilentHill
02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
I want to ask something:

IF If the franchise waits until last times to say they will trade Manu in order to get a very good player...and Manu inmediately says on public that he retires as a basketball player...the Spurs wont get nothing? :bang

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-10-2010, 05:07 PM

But he overperformed for his contracts from 2003-07, so I think we can give him a wash... in fact, for what he has brought to SA, he's been massively underpaid.

I think it's a bit harsh to get down on him because injuries and aging have slowed him.

Personally, I hope he takes a 2-year, 6-7mil deal (like DRob's last contract, but a bit smaller) to stay in SA and finish his career with Tim. He's not the killer he used to be, but he's still a very useful player.

elbamba
02-10-2010, 05:16 PM
3 years 24 million with a partial guarentee for the 3rd year is what I would offer. It is a lot of money that would be worth it at what Manu brings right now. I also do not think he will get that much more from other teams. This number would not hurt the Spurs that much with the cap.

baseline bum
02-10-2010, 05:18 PM
But he overperformed for his contracts from 2003-07, so I think we can give him a wash... in fact, for what he has brought to SA, he's been massively underpaid.

I think it's a bit harsh to get down on him because injuries and aging have slowed him.

Personally, I hope he takes a 2-year, 6-7mil deal (like DRob's last contract, but a bit smaller) to stay in SA and finish his career with Tim. He's not the killer he used to be, but he's still a very useful player.

All that's ancient history. To think he should be paid in line with what he's getting now for what he's giving now is craziness. It's not getting down on him to say he doesn't deserve an extension based on recent history that would presumably be somewhere in the range of his current deal.

elbamba
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Tim Duncan has also been underpaid. Like some have said, his injuries and aging have increased because of the extra work he has undertaken in the off season almost every year he has been in a Spurs uniform. It was brought on by himself. It is honorable to play for your country but then you cannot be upset when the boss who pays your salary decides to let you go.

OldSilentHill
02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I want to ask something:

IF If the franchise waits until last times to say they will trade Manu in order to get a very good player...and Manu inmediately says on public that he retires as a basketball player...the Spurs wont get a damn thing? :bang

Somebody pls, before I start a thread on this :lol

ElNono
02-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Tim Duncan has also been underpaid. Like some have said, his injuries and aging have increased because of the extra work he has undertaken in the off season almost every year he has been in a Spurs uniform. It was brought on by himself. It is honorable to play for your country but then you cannot be upset when the boss who pays your salary decides to let you go.

Manu is not upset.

EVAY
02-10-2010, 07:07 PM
the man, even if miles have taken a toll on his body, is still a vital part of this team. He's the best passer and playmaker we have and still goes balls out every single game, we all know manu brings so much more to the table than just shooting. Besides like i said regardless of what he is doing this year or last year he outplayed his contract tremendously...he was the third best sg in the league making $8 mill/yr while everyone of his caliber was on max or close to max deals. I dont even think people realize what a bargain that was.

Also i dont think he expects 11 mill/yr on his next contract, i think 3 yrs for 25 mill could get the job done. More than fair and deserved in my opinion.

+1000

EVAY
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
All that's ancient history. To think he should be paid in line with what he's getting now for what he's giving now is craziness. It's not getting down on him to say he doesn't deserve an extension based on recent history that would presumably be somewhere in the range of his current deal.

I didn't think that David Robinson was worth 11 mill. per year on his last contract but he got it, in part, because he was 'so identified with SA'.

EVAY
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Questions: Given all the histrionics about Manu choosing his national team over the Spurs' contract offer...does anyone remember when Pop was coach of the USA national team and Tim played for him? He didn't tell Duncan not to play for his national team, did he?

Did anyone tell David Robinson not to play for his national team when he was a Spur?

Does anyone remember David's last contract negotiations when he was in Hawaii at his vacation home and holding television interviews about how 'he always expected to finish his career as a Spur, but since the FO was not coming up with the money he wanted, he was 'not at all sure that he would end his career as a spur'?

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe Manu is doing nothing more or less than what David did? He is negotiating in the press. BFD.

Everybody who is accusing him of whining should get a grip. If he wasn't playing his heart every time he is on the court it would be one thing. BUT. THE. MAN. TRIES. EVERY SECOND. HE. IS ON. COURT. (Timvp wants to accentuate every word so can the rest of us.)

He can negotiate all he wants to, wherever he wants to. HE. HAS. EARNED. THE. RIGHT. TO.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2010, 07:26 PM
LOL that last line is ridiculous..

Yes, Manu can negotiate however he wants, but that's not how business works..he can't pay himself..

OldSilentHill
02-10-2010, 07:30 PM

Yes, Manu can negotiate however he wants, but that's not how business works..he can't pay himself..

BS.

And Spurs can´t clone Manu.

Both parts negotiating their values.

EVAY
02-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Pay attention!! The relevant word is NEGOTIATE you asshole! Nobody suggested that he could pay himself. He can NEGOTIATE any way he wants to, including whining, including doing it in public, including trying to get fans on his side, because HE HAS EARNED THE RIGHT TO NEGOTIATE!!!!

Russ
02-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Ginobili = John Havlicek

Both are/were the heart and soul of their title teams.

Both = fearless in charging to the rack. Both = iconic 6th men, etc.

You don't let those types go.

Havlicek retired as a Celtic.

I strongly suspect that Ginobili will retire as a Spur.

MmP
02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't see Manu whining at all. He's asked, so he answers. Writers write about it. It's not like Manu is demaning a newspaper to go out to make it public.

TMTTRIO
02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
To make things more interesting they're about to do an interview on Maximum Sports with Manu's agent:).

TMTTRIO
02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
aww ok there was nothing new. He just said the same thing about how Manu wants to stay here and even if there has been no talks about anything he thinks the Spurs will eventually offer something.

pjjrfan
02-10-2010, 10:57 PM
i'd much rather have a wounded manu with a lot of heart, than a healthy rj with no heart, any day! :wow

amen!!!!!

ducks
02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
The man, even if miles have taken a toll on his body, is still a vital part of this team. He's the best passer and playmaker we have and still goes balls out every single game, we all know Manu brings so much more to the table than just shooting. Besides like I said regardless of what he is doing this year or last year he outplayed his contract tremendously...he was the third best SG in the league making $8 mill/yr while everyone of his caliber was on max or close to max deals. I dont even think people realize what a bargain that was.

Also I dont think he expects 11 mill/yr on his next contract, I think 3 yrs for 25 mill could get the job done. More than fair and deserved in my opinion.
manu already said he was not willing to take a paycut for the spurs
trading him would be wise

ducks
02-10-2010, 11:37 PM

if tp said it there would be 10 trade tp threads

ElNono
02-10-2010, 11:39 PM
manu already said he was not willing to take a paycut for the spurs

Quote? Link?

ducks
02-10-2010, 11:43 PM
it was a interview in spanish posted here translated to english

ducks
02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I think manu is in a rude awakening what he is worth in this economy
I doubt a team that misses out on bosh,wade,james throws big money after him with his big drop off production this year and his loss of spring in his legs
manu back for the mle is about right
most players in the nba that play 15-20 minutes get the mle or less
that is what manu can play and be good

ElNono
02-10-2010, 11:48 PM
it was a interview in spanish posted here translated to english

That's very weird. Urunobili and I translate pretty much every Manu interview or article. I'm pretty sure I would have seen it.

Again, quote or it didn't happen.

ElNono
02-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I think manu is in a rude awakening what he is worth in this economy
I doubt a team that misses out on bosh,wade,james throws big money after him with his big drop off production this year and his loss of spring in his legs
manu back for the mle is about right
most players in the nba that play 15-20 minutes get the mle or less
that is what manu can play and be good

So you made up that he said he wouldn't take a paycut?

ducks
02-10-2010, 11:50 PM
no

ElNono
02-10-2010, 11:51 PM
no

So where's the quote?

MmP
I've read pretty much every article too. In spanish the original language and he never said that he wouldn't take a paycut.

ducks
on the internet

ducks
or the superinformationhighway

ducks
02-10-2010, 11:52 PM
or www

ElNono
02-10-2010, 11:52 PM
on the internet

I think you're hating as usual... Are you going to be mad if the Spurs extend Manu, paycut or not?

MmP
02-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Get real ducks. If you want to make an statment that can worse this situation at least bring a link or a quote to say that. Maybe Im wrong. But I've read every article and Manu never said anything like that.

TMTTRIO
02-11-2010, 12:51 AM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/02/10/aldridge.bloggers/index.html

7. As we know, Manu Ginobili is in his last contract year with the Spurs and the Spurs still have not had contract extension discussions with Manu Ginobili. What seems to be the hold up and do you see the Spurs resigning Manu or perhaps trading him before the trade deadline? (Jeff Garcia -- @ProjectSpurs)
DA: Well, the holdup is that they're not interested in giving him an extension. The Spurs have made it clear that they have a two-year window with this group that they have now because that's when Duncan's contract expires and they feel like this year and next year are the years they are willing to pay luxury tax to be competitive and try to win a championship. So they're not going to get Manu Ginobili a three-year or four-year extension. They're just not going to do it because they are looking at this year and next year, and then after next year they may as well have to break this team up and start moving people. I think Manu understands that. I'm sure he's not happy with it. He understands it and so he's going to go into free agency and see what's out there and if there are teams that are going to make him a good offer. I think he'll get some interest. I think there will be three or four teams that will have a lot of interest in Manu but it's a matter of whether he gives the Spurs the right opportunity to match whatever is out there or if he just walks. I think frankly the Spurs understand that they are in a position now where they have to prepare for the fact that he may not be there next year.

MB20
02-11-2010, 08:18 AM
7. As we know, Manu Ginobili is in his last contract year with the Spurs and the Spurs still have not had contract extension discussions with Manu Ginobili. What seems to be the hold up and do you see the Spurs resigning Manu or perhaps trading him before the trade deadline? (Jeff Garcia -- @ProjectSpurs)
DA: Well, the holdup is that they're not interested in giving him an extension.

Not much to add...

Duncan21kid
02-11-2010, 08:31 AM
why do people on here even argue with Ducks?

cuz hes the most annoying fuck on ST

ElNono
02-11-2010, 09:26 AM
why do people on here even argue with Ducks?

Because we're bored. Bring on the Nuggets already. :hungry:

guzmangm
02-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't blame Manu for feeling a bit slighted. Most people would feel the same too if they put 10-15 years in a company and then just got laid off (our equivalent, most of us are not pro ball players). I know today's business climate is different, and nobody works a lifetime withthe same employer, but you'd be lying if you said you wouldn't be pissed. Besides it his freakin website, if he can't rant there than where can he. In my eyes he's earned the right to bitch. Point is he was a bargain in his earlier years and didn't complain about coming off the bench. But that's just me.

lefty
02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
i will always be a fan of manu no matter he plays for the spurs of not. Its going to be sad to see him in another jersey.
+1

jermaine
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
No what would suck for him is if they was to trade him to the Nets for Williams. & Doolong or to Min for Brewer an a filler! That would hurt an be a Sucker punch to the gonads!

Bruno
02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/02/10/aldridge.bloggers/index.html

DA: Well, the holdup is that they're not interested in giving him an extension. The Spurs have made it clear that they have a two-year window with this group that they have now because that's when Duncan's contract expires and they feel like this year and next year are the years they are willing to pay luxury tax to be competitive and try to win a championship. So they're not going to get Manu Ginobili a three-year or four-year extension. They're just not going to do it because they are looking at this year and next year, and then after next year they may as well have to break this team up and start moving people. I think Manu understands that. I'm sure he's not happy with it. He understands it and so he's going to go into free agency and see what's out there and if there are teams that are going to make him a good offer. I think he'll get some interest. I think there will be three or four teams that will have a lot of interest in Manu but it's a matter of whether he gives the Spurs the right opportunity to match whatever is out there or if he just walks. I think frankly the Spurs understand that they are in a position now where they have to prepare for the fact that he may not be there next year.

I don't like that situation at all.

If Spurs chances to re-sign Manu are low, because they don't want to spend money on him and/or because Manu wants to go elsewhere, then he should be traded this week.

Slomo
02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't like that situation at all.

If Spurs chances to re-sign Manu are low, because they don't want to spend money on him and/or because Manu wants to go elsewhere, then he should be traded this week.

Sadly, I agree.

vanvannen
02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Ok, just to make it clear, to all people saying Manu keeps whining bare in mind that he is only answering the same question over and over. It's not like he calls a press conference every week to talk about this. You should blame the media for asking the same question again and again, not Manu.
I agree with Timvp though on the fact that he made decisions before that are haunting him now, and that he will have to learn to live with that.

MB20
02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree with Timvp though on the fact that he made decisions before that are haunting him now, and that he will have to learn to live with that.

Do you really think Manu regrets his decision of playing for the NT ?
If you do, you are wrong.

vanvannen
02-11-2010, 02:15 PM
I think he did not regret it at the time, he might be regretting in now.
It's not the point though, the point is that he got screwed now because of the decision he took back then.

rascal
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I think he did not regret it at the time, he might be regretting in now.
It's not the point though, the point is that he got screwed now because of the decision he took back then.

I doubt he is regretting it at all. He is just thinking it was an unfortunate injury that just happened. No way he was sitting out the Olympics, the competitor he is.