PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Music Video ... Ever

Nbadan
04-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Meet Dennis Madalone. He loves America. Really, *really* loves America. Oh, and sad '80s haircuts. Watch and learn

See, there's patriotism, and there's patriotism, and then there's patriotism that's meant be written with a capital P and a long flowing scripty font with little butterflies dotting the i's and a big fat bullet hole where the o should be, and it's all circled a thousand times with a bright red crayon that's been licked to a smooth nub by aging members of, say, REO Speedwagon.

It's the kind of patriotism where everything in its warped purview has been happily whitewashed with this rabid glaze of shuddering mediocrity and flag-waving dorkiness and desperate earnestness, where dead people become white floaty angels and manly firefighters literally walk in the clouds and overweight people give each other slow-motion hugs and children become innocent cherubs of light and the American flag becomes a giant beach towel and bad hair becomes, well, even worse hair.

SNIP

Dennis has, for some reason, written a song. And made a music video to accompany it. This video, it is about America, an America that simply does not exist anywhere but in Dennis' amazingly coiffed head, an America that is all about the aforementioned twice-baked patriotism and a heartrending love of country so syrupy and exaggerated it would make you gag if it weren't so utterly perfect, so beautiful, so breathtaking in its, I don't quite know what to call it. Genius? Simplicity? Harrowing vision of colon-flaming hell? Yes.

SNIP

They are saying, stop whatever you are doing right now and click on this link right now as in immediately, please, and be enlightened as to the bizarre meta-saccharine joy that is Dennis Madalone's America. You will never be the same again.

SFGate (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2005/0... )

AmericaWeStandAsOne video: (http://www.americawestandasone.com/video.html )

Spurminator
04-29-2005, 01:27 PM
A. Your SFGate link doesn't work.

B. The video is cheesy and the song is bad. Really bad. Awful.
B2. Who cares? Why is this offensive to The Gate? It's not like he's calling for violence. Why is the love of America considered vulgar to some people? Get over it.

The Ressurrected One
04-29-2005, 01:31 PM
B2. Who cares? Why is this offensive to The Gate? It's not like he's calling for violence. Why is the love of America considered vulgar to some people? Get over it.
I can answer that...

In a world where the reasons to oppose/hate the United States are being shot down, left and right, the desperate blame-America-first crowd has to stoop to yet lower and sillier reasons to bash this country and those who love it.

jalbre6
04-29-2005, 04:03 PM
I like this one better.

http://www.campchaos.com/show.php?iID=647

Medvedenko
04-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Is that Manu singing the song.....

Nbadan
04-29-2005, 11:54 PM
:rolleyes

Typical that this would go over Sperminator's head and Yonivo....errr T.R.O. would play the partisan card to a t. I don't think the Gate article was chastising the video for being patriotic, but for using, or some would say, abusing, patriotism to a fault. Almost...I dare say it....Nationalistic, but either way laughable.

Spurminator
04-30-2005, 11:43 AM
LOL @ NBAFuckingDan accusing me of playing the partisan card.

It's the kind of patriotism where everything in its warped purview has been happily whitewashed with this rabid glaze of shuddering mediocrity and flag-waving dorkiness and desperate earnestness

All I'm saying is that while it may be cheesy, the message (which is what The gate seems to be choosing as its punchline) is no different from, say, "America the Beautiful." I mean, if you can write songs like that about New York, the woman you love, or Pot... why not America?