PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Giuliani: San Antonio's success makes it terrorist target

DMX7
02-08-2010, 11:41 PM
San Antonio is an emerging city that is home to some important national security assets. It has a growing population, an evolving military role and bioscience presence, as well as a growing cyber technology industry.

These are some of the factors that have helped San Antonio escape the worst effects of a national recession. But they are also some of the reasons that former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani believes that the Alamo City may now be a bigger target for terrorists.

Giuliani was mayor of New York when terrorists flew aircraft into the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001. In 2008, he made a run at the White House and at present he is a partner in the law firm of Bracewell & Giuliani, which has an office in San Antonio.

“It is a city (San Antonio) that has grown dramatically in a short period of time,” says Giuliani, who was in San Antonio recently for an economic conference.

It’s also a city that has attracted increased attention over the last few years because of that growth and because of some important economic wins — including the federal government’s decision to invest more than $2 billion at Fort Sam Houston.

San Antonio is also home to Randolph and Lackland Air Force bases and to a National Security Agency campus. At one point it was in the hunt for a Department of Homeland Security National Bio Agro Defense Facility.

“Every major city in America should consider itself a target,” Giuliani says. “And San Antonio has a couple of reasons why it might want to put itself even further up that list.”

Congressman Ciro Rodriguez, D-San Antonio, suggests that the Alamo City should be aware of the possibilities.

“Unfortunately, in this day and age, we all have to be prepared for the unthinkable,” he says. “As the seventh largest city in the country with significant national security assets, San Antonio especially has to be ready to deal with potential attacks.”

Top notch
Giuliani’s tenure as mayor of New York ended in December of 2001. But some of the scars of 9/11 remain.

“I look at life very differently since Sept. 11,” he says. “The reality is that you can’t go through something like that without an enormous impact. I think about it every day.”

Giuliani says some people may believe that the resources invested to protect a city against the possibilities of a terrorist attack are wasted. But he says that preparedness can benefit a city in other ways.

“If you build up a good emergency response system for terrorism, that system works really well if you have to deal with a natural disaster,” Giuliani contends. “If you are prepared, it means your firefighters are better trained. It means your hospitals are better trained.”

San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro says Alamo City leaders have worked to put preparedness plans in place that address a multitude of potential disasters.

“We have an emergency operations center that is absolutely top-notch and has been recognized as such,” he says. “We have taken a lead role in disaster relief.”

Giuliani says San Antonio and Texas have shown during events such as Hurricane Katrina that they were better prepared than some other cities and states.

As for the possibility of a terrorist attack, Castro agrees that San Antonio may be a bigger target now than it once was.

“That is a legitimate concern, and one I’m confident that the military has considered,” he says. “We do have important assets to protect.”

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2010/02/01/story2.html?b=1265000400%5E2800921

Winehole23
02-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks Rudy. We appreciate the free pub.

Marcus Bryant
02-09-2010, 12:07 AM
What if someone dyed the river?

Or, gasp, drained it?

Then again, the NSA is building some kind of concrete and steel octopus somewheres around town.

Betsy
02-09-2010, 03:07 AM
Having lived through 9/11 I also am still scared and will not live in NY anymore.
It scared the shit out of me and I will never forget it.
So please SA and state of Texas stay tough so we don't get hit here.
I have faith in the military here and world wide.

DarrinS
02-09-2010, 08:12 AM
As long as these retards keep trying to use crotch bombs, I'm not too worried.

What SHOULD worry people, is if they ever get sophisticated and poison a water supply.

ElNono
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Rudy just doing his job and keeping people scared...

Spurminator
02-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Rudy just doing his job and keeping people scared...

Yep.

boutons_deux
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
All Fear, All The Time. aka, The Fear Bu$ine$$.

Rudy, America's Money-Grubbing, Fear-Mongering Loser.

Americans, just the avoidable medical errors, kill more Americans every year than terrorists have killed Americans EVER.

rjv
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
really? a military city with a large population, bases and some of the best military medical facilities in the world is a target? no way!

DarrinS
02-09-2010, 11:06 AM
All Fear, All The Time. aka, The Fear Bu$ine$$.

Rudy, America's Money-Grubbing, Fear-Mongering Loser.

Americans, just the avoidable medical errors, kill more Americans every year than terrorists have killed Americans EVER.

Remember Biden on H1N1?

Matt Lauer: "If a member of your family came to you . . . and said, 'Look, I want to go on a commercial airliner to Mexico and back within the next week,' would you think it's a good idea?"

Joe Biden: "I would tell members of my family -- and I have -- I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. . . . It's not that it's going to Mexico. It's [that] you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me." He added, "So, from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation. If you're out in the middle of a field when someone sneezes, that's one thing. If you're in a closed aircraft or closed container or closed car or closed classroom, it's a different thing."

coyotes_geek
02-09-2010, 11:11 AM

So do drunk drivers, cigarettes, alcohol and fried foods. What's your point?

Spurminator
02-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Remember Biden on H1N1?

Matt Lauer: "If a member of your family came to you . . . and said, 'Look, I want to go on a commercial airliner to Mexico and back within the next week,' would you think it's a good idea?"

Joe Biden: "I would tell members of my family -- and I have -- I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. . . . It's not that it's going to Mexico. It's [that] you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me." He added, "So, from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation. If you're out in the middle of a field when someone sneezes, that's one thing. If you're in a closed aircraft or closed container or closed car or closed classroom, it's a different thing."

Both sides play the politics of fear.

That said, Biden's comments were stupid, but I don't think they were calculated to create fear. It's obvious, because no one would be stupid enough to think ahead of time that that sort of answer wouldn't backfire. So Biden was an idiot, but at least he was an honest idiot in this case.

Giuliani, on the other hand, has digressed over the past nine years into one of the most dishonest and despicable politicians I can think of. I don't trust a single thing that comes out of his mouth. He's just a pundit now... He's a puppet and a liar, and to disingenuously promote fear is far more contemptible than to do so by way of misguided, foot-in-mouth comments.

DarrinS
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Giuliani, on the other hand, has digressed over the past nine years into one of the most dishonest and despicable politicians I can think of. I don't trust a single thing that comes out of his mouth.

I know what you mean. I can't stand people like that.

Drachen
02-09-2010, 01:34 PM
How is it NEWs that San Antonio is highly ranked a military target? I remember in the 80's when I was a young child that I was told that if the Russians decided to launch that we would be number 3 on the list of what was hit. Washington DC, NORAD, and San Antonio. Oh and the reason was because we had such a high concentration of military installations and National Security interests. E-GADS so NOW we are a highly ranked military target because of our military installations and National Security interests.

I am sure that people heard similar things even before I was born.

Winehole23
02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
No shit.

Making SA the predicate for his off-the-rack fear-fapping is kind of cheesy, but completely predictable. Bet that's not the last we've heard from Mr. Giuliani. He does have the office in SA.

clambake
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
don't take his only schtick away.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2010, 02:05 PM
If you give him money, he'll do his best to scare you.

boutons_deux
02-09-2010, 02:20 PM
"so do drunk drivers, cigarettes, alcohol and fried foods. What's your point?"

What are the odds of anybody in USA getting killed or attacked by a terrorist?

and how do I behave differently to diminish these (infinitesimal) odds?

Let's restart Tom Ridge's Terror Level Traffic Light. It helped me so much save my life.

Like pitbull bitch, RG is exploiting his accidental celebrity for the $$$.

mogrovejo
02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
It seems that according to some Giuliani is:

- telling an obvious truth: "every major city in America should consider itself a target" and "San Antonio has a couple of reasons why it might want to put itself even further up that list."

but, somehow, resorting to fearmongering.

Which leads to a funny conclusion.

clambake
02-09-2010, 02:38 PM
don't take his only schtick away.

coyotes_geek
02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
"so do drunk drivers, cigarettes, alcohol and fried foods. What's your point?"

What are the odds of anybody in USA getting killed or attacked by a terrorist?

and how do I behave differently to diminish these (infinitesimal) odds?

Let's restart Tom Ridge's Terror Level Traffic Light. It helped me so much save my life.

Like pitbull bitch, RG is exploiting his accidental celebrity for the $$$.

So are you saying that the U.S. should just conclude that terrorism poses no threat and be ignored?

This being a separate issue from Guliani milking his role as mayor during 9-11 for all that he can.

Spurminator
02-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't think the average San Antonio resident needs to concern himself daily with where his city ranks on the potential terror threat chart.

clambake
02-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't think the average San Antonio resident needs to concern himself daily with where his city ranks on the potential terror threat chart.

how can you not live in fear?

Spurminator
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM
If we don't fear for our lives and consider everyone a possible threat, the terrorists have won.

clambake
02-09-2010, 03:36 PM
If we don't fear for our lives and consider everyone a possible threat, the terrorists have won.

:lol

clambake
02-09-2010, 03:40 PM
how can rudy live in such fear and still plow his cousins?

ElNono
02-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Did I mention Rudy was the mayor of NY during 9/11? *

* This post sponsored by Giuliani for President 2012

DarrinS
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Good thing the Obama admin has immediately pulled our troops from Afghanistan and Iraq, closed Guantanamo, and kept the KSM trial in NYC, because everyone knows that these aren't threats worth addressing and are simply criminal matters.

ElNono
02-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Good thing the Obama admin has immediately pulled our troops from Afghanistan and Iraq, closed Guantanamo, and kept the KSM trial in NYC, because everyone knows that these aren't threats worth addressing and are simply criminal matters.

Talking to yourself again DarrinS?

ChumpDumper
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Did Giuliani oppose the trial of Ramzi Yousef (KSM's nephew, in the likely case you didn't know) in a New York federal court, Darrin?

Yes or no.

mogrovejo
02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
So, nobody disagrees with Giuliani's statement?

Winehole23
02-10-2010, 04:54 PM
It was true before Giuliani ever said it. It's been true for decades.

ElNono
02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
What city is NOT a terrerists threat according to Giuliani?

mogrovejo
02-10-2010, 07:08 PM
What city is NOT a terrerists threat according to Giuliani?

I think he said that all major cities in the US are targets. Which one is not, according to you?

clambake
02-10-2010, 07:21 PM
do you need to be reminded?

ElNono
02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
I think he said that all major cities in the US are targets. Which one is not, according to you?

I think they all are. Which was exactly the point of my sarcastic comment...

PixelPusher
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Every potential terrorist target is a potential terrorist target.

Think about that - it'll blow your maaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiind!!!

clambake
02-10-2010, 08:18 PM
i listened to rudy and burned all my flags....just to be safe.

ChumpDumper
02-10-2010, 09:26 PM
So, nobody disagrees with Giuliani's statement?Did Rudy even have to say it?

Why is it news?