PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Duncan?..

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2010, 02:13 AM
This is just a playful thread, nothing serious, not about rebuilding or anything..just a fun hypothetical..

Would you rather see Duncan stay here and retire as a San Antonio Spur or would you rather see him get traded to a contender and win his 5th title as a #2 option?(also, beating the evil Lakers)..

Fpoonsie
02-09-2010, 02:14 AM
Which contender would you put him on? And for what in return?

slick'81
02-09-2010, 02:14 AM
if it made the spurs better yes but again how would that happen?!?

SequSpur
02-09-2010, 02:15 AM
No!

mexicanjunior
02-09-2010, 02:16 AM
No...I'd get rid of anyone else on the roster but I would like to see Duncan retire a Spur, just as Robinson did before him.

all_heart
02-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Of course not.

Ditty
02-09-2010, 02:17 AM
the only guy i would seriuosly trade him for is kevin garnett when healthy garnett will call out his team and get in his players face if there making stupid mistakes and maybe tell pop when hes sitting on the bench that these dumbass lineups he makes arent working

Blackjack
02-09-2010, 02:18 AM
the only guy i would seriuosly trade him for is kevin garnett when healthy garnett will call out his team and get in his players face if there making stupid mistakes and maybe tell pop when hes sitting on the bench that these dumbass lineups he makes arent working

You have got to be kidding me ...

To answer the question though, if Tim made it known he'd like another shot at a title and wouldn't mind going elsewhere, I'd have no problem with it.

No need for him to go down with the ship; he deserves better.

Fpoonsie
02-09-2010, 02:18 AM

Christ.

scottspurs
02-09-2010, 02:19 AM
People are really jumping off the cliff tonight.

sabar
02-09-2010, 02:19 AM
100% no. Duncan is the team. Duncan is san antonio. He transcends the game, he is a symbol here.

DesignatedT
02-09-2010, 02:20 AM
no

slick'81
garnett isnt even on the list of guys id consider, now kevin durant ......

SenorSpur
This is just a playful thread, nothing serious, not about rebuilding or anything..just a fun hypothetical..

Would you rather see Duncan stay here and retire as a San Antonio Spur or would you rather see him get traded to a contender and win his 5th title as a #2 option?(also, beating the evil Lakers)..

Duncan isn't stupid. He sees what lies ahead in the short term. With Manu expected to walk after this season, I'd go to Duncan and explain to him that the team is now in transition. The need for more younger, cheaper talent is upon us. I'd go on to explain to him that Parker, Hill, Blair and himself would be retained, but everyone else would be up for grabs. I'd do everything possible to try and get surround him with more help on the frontline over the next year or so. Then, I'd leave it up to him if he wanted to go elsewhere.

Parker2112
02-09-2010, 02:22 AM
Duncan and Gino (plus filler) for Dwight.

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Again, this thread is playful..I'm not asking for realistic deals or potential returns, it's not serious..I'm just seeing what people would think about it and how they would feel if it happened..

DAF86
02-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Duncan winning a ring as a second banana in another team doesn't add to his resume.

Ditty
02-09-2010, 02:25 AM
but of course to trade for any player in the league of course lebron even if i dont like him

HarlemHeat37
Duncan winning a ring as a second banana in another team doesn't add to his resume.

see: Kobe's first 3 titles and Shaq's title in Miami..it certainly does add to it..

Fpoonsie
Again, this thread is playful..I'm not asking for realistic deals or potential returns, it's not serious..I'm just seeing what people would think about it and how they would feel if it happened..

Ok, well, HYPOTHETICALLY, which team would you "playfully" send him to?

:king

Blackjack
Tell that to Shaq ...

neboat
02-09-2010, 02:26 AM
I have no problem if Tim wanted to move to another contender...

timtonymanu
02-09-2010, 02:27 AM
I would only trade Duncan if he's going to a team that has a chance to win. He deserves better!

Personally if he was traded I would take it hard. Maybe if it was for LeBron or Dwight Howard, it would be ok.

I doubt Tim plays elsewhere though.

Buddy Holly
02-09-2010, 02:28 AM

Holy shit, stfu. :wow :rolleyes :nope :(

baseline bum
02-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Never unless he requested it.

Chieflion
02-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Tim Duncan shall have his dream realised to play in Disneyland. Send him to the Magic and pair him with Dwight Howard. Pop would love Rashard Lewis. Orlando Magic 2010 NBA Champions! :lmao:lmao:lmao

ShoogarBear
02-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Not unless he wanted to go.

DAF86
02-09-2010, 02:30 AM
see: Kobe's first 3 titles and Shaq's title in Miami..it certainly does add to it..

At this point I think he would be much better spending his whole career in one team than exploring new places to look for more championships.

Look at Shaq's case, what team do you think will retire his number? do you think any team would do it?

timaios
02-09-2010, 02:33 AM
I quote myself. That's a post i made 2 weeks ago in the " <Insert Big Trade Proposal Here> " thread.

This trade :

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yjbumay

Tim Duncan -> Cleveland
Ilgauskas + Moon + Gibson -> San Antonio

Why ?

Because i want to see Tim Duncan win 1 or 2 more rings !
Because Tim + Shack + Lebron would be badassss !
Because i want to see the multiple threads of "WTF is that trade" by Lakers fans !
Because i want to see the old Tim & Shack destroy the soft Bynum & Gasol !
Because i want to see the face of KB24 when he'll see Tim & Shack win their 5th ring !

And because the Spurs are not going to make the playoffs this year.
Start over, draft in the 1st 10 picks 2 or 3 years in a row... Maybe we'll be lucky and get a new franchise player.
Bring Tiago Splitter next year and play the young guys.
If Tony & Manu want to stay, good... if not trade them or give them to contenders.

Now, you can yell at me ! :lol

Rogue
02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
I would trade Duncan to Mavs in return for a couple trashes. With such a quality center like Duncan at 5 I'm pretty sure Mavs get way better than present. Such a trade probably would benefit Mavs more than a Iggy trade or Martin trade does IMHO.

Muser
02-09-2010, 07:56 AM
No, not unless some ridiculous Duncan for LeBron/Bosh/Dwight/Durant/Paul trade was on the cards.

Chillen
02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
for LeBron James, which won't ever happen. So he should retire a Spur, the man has won MVP's, NBA titles for this franchise, I believe respect, loyalty is in order. Not a normal player you trade away, he means to much to this Spurs franchise. That would be like the Bulls trading MJ after he won the last Bulls NBA title in 1998. Only way is if he demands a trade to another team to try and win more NBA titles, but he has to much class, loyalty to this franchise to ever make such demands.

bigfan
02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Duncan retires a Spur. Manu and Tony should retire a Spur but may chose to move on.

SpurNation
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
I know it was for fun. But this just sucks having to even discuss it in fun.

If Duncan were to ask...the Spurs organization should comply. He deserves that much. But I don't think his integrity would even allow him to ask.

The time to have "spent the money" was two season's ago to get Duncan and this team the players it needed to help secure one more title.

Would I trade Duncan? Only if it involed Jefferson too.

Bukefal
02-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Duncan retires a Spur. Manu and Tony should retire a Spur but may chose to move on.

+1

Duncan, he is the Spurs, and needs to retire here. Same goes for TP, I would want him to retire with the Spurs also, but yeah, he may go somewhere else. As for Manu, well, I won't really mind him going.

mountainballer
02-09-2010, 09:18 AM

let's think about it.
let's forget that we can get a young superstar in return. so it would be a pure restart the franchise move! so it would need to become an even bigger move than just to dump Tim for expiring contracts and picks.
the only realistic trade partner I see is Cleveland.
they do it to win it this year and to get Lebron to resign.
but it needs to be a move that puts the Spurs back to scratch immediately, so Cavs will need to take back some more money.
it's Tim, RJ and Dice for Shaq, Z, Hickson and Greene. (plus the 2010 pick.#30 likely)
Spurs save about 10 million in salaries and taxes this season and clear 40 million from their 2010-11 payroll.
their cap room would be about 25 million. (cap holds for minimum contracts and picks are
considered). they spend about 4 million for Splitter. still enough room for a max offer.
(it wouldn't be without irony if they could use it to get Lebron, but let's be realistic.)
they are not more attractive at this point than Wolves or Clippers. their goal would be a 2nd tire star, who doesn't command a max contract and a quality player. maybe David Lee and Josh Childress. (Hawks won't match, if they re sign Johnson)
they have left Tony, Hill, Blair, Hickson, Greene, Hairston, Greene. they add Lee and Childress.(9+6 million starting salary). they have 5 million left for FAs.
they have dumped the season, end with a 35-47 record and get the #12 pick.
2010 is a pure big man draft, so even with enough young bigs, they should draft a big man. (I would take Monroe at this point). take whatever is left at #30. (wing or PG).

Tony-FA-Draft pick
Hill-Hairston-Greene
Childress-FA
Lee-Blair-Hickson
Splitter-Monroe

hm. question is, would this team be that much worse? it costs 30 million less than the team we currently have and turned from pretty old to pretty young. (oldest player would be Tony at 28)

8FOR!3
02-09-2010, 09:51 AM

You think Boston would go for that?! I was thinking a straight up Tim Duncan/Kendrick Perkins trade is what we need for an NBA title. He'd show Pop real quick who's boss. Seriously though, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't take KG if he was still in his prime over TD. If it was any other situation, the only person I'd think about trading him for would be Dwight Howard (which Orlando wouldn't go for anyways,) but I couldn't even do that in this situation, Duncan deserves to retire as a San Antonio Spurs. I think Manu should too, but I have mixed feelings about TP sometimes.

elbamba
02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
When Duncan asks to be traded, that is when I would trade him. Out of respect and the fact that he deserves another championship and he probably will never have another chance in San Antonio. But I would only trade him if it meant getting 3-4 draft picks/ young talent.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Duncan deserves better than this.

SpurCharger
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
If the Spurs Traded Duncan Then I would have to Hand In my Spurs Fan Card! That Would Disrespect All Spurs Fans, and Anyone Who Spent A Penny On them. Duncan Should Retire A Spur, Just As David Robinson Did.

TDomination
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I would NEVER trade him unless he asked to be traded. At which point I would cry with all my championship dvd's, posters, magazines, apparel in my hands

Brazil
02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Never unless he requested it.

exactly my thought

if he wanted another shot for a fifth ring and he realized spurs cannot offer that anymore, he would deserve it

z0sa
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Fuck no

Old School 44
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
He will retire a Spur.

But if he wanted to go, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
I would push the other team in the trade, to get all I could get. But In the end, I'd let him go, even for less, if that's what he wanted.

Brazil
02-09-2010, 11:18 AM
I quote myself. That's a post i made 2 weeks ago in the " <Insert Big Trade Proposal Here> " thread.

didn't see your post last time it's a quite how to say that ? :downspin: trade idea but I understand your logic: tim and shaq for the fifth ring saying hello to kobe :p:

ElNono
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
His call...

Warlord23
02-09-2010, 11:24 AM
The only way Duncan goes is if he wants to. In that situation, I'd rather trade him for expirings, youth and picks than swap him for a big-name player, because trading him would essentially mean a rebuilding phase.

Big P
02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
no

dbreiden83080
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
If he wants to stay then he should stay. I don't need to see Timmy running around from team to team looking for number 5 like Shaq has done. If he gets it, Shaq will beat his chest about it, ignoring the fact that he played 2nd fiddle on a million teams post LA to get it..

temujin
02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I think that the general consensus is that this is an idiotic thread.
Playfully idiotic.

Not that I had any doubt about it, coming from Jefferson's agent..

iminol
02-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Hope he wouldnt be trade-bitch like dat who plays only in warm (exept Ohio) cites.

pad300
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm not saying I'd do it, but if you do, the trade is with UTAH

2010 1st Knicks, 2010 1st Utah, 2012 1st Utah, Boozer, Kirilenko

for

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili

3 1st round picks ( and the knicks are likely lottery...), and the team salary just evaporates immediately before the new CBA. Add our own lottery pick from this year...

UTAH becomes ungodly.
Duncan, Okur, Millsap
Ginobili, Korver
Williams

Add Salmons from CHI for Harping's TE equivalent (injury, contract is covered by insurance)

I think that trumps the Lakers, the Cavs and everybody else.

PS. The 2012 pick from Utah is valuable. Duncan retires, Okur's old, Ginobili is either old or retired. I'd give good odds that that's a down year for them...Id' guess that Sloan might even take the opportunity to retire during the CBA fuss, after collecting 2 rings.

bostonguy
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao

KG is a pussy who tries to act tough. I am a celtic fan and I can say that with a straight face. Plus he is declining rapidly with that recent knee surgery. On top of that, even when he was healthy...it was easy for him to act like a tough badass when Paul Pierce was the #1 guy.

mathbzh
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM

I would trade him
1) If it could help him winning another ring
2) If the Spurs received enough to start rebuild
Both condition necessary

Jace
02-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Trade Duncan to the Nuggets, giving them Melo/Chauncey/Duncan which is a good enough Big 3 to win it all

Trade Ginobli for something

Tim gets rings
Spurs get some pieces + knowledge they didn't drag down Tim with them
Spurs reload over the next few years with Hill/Blair/SPlitter?/Mahinmi?

tp2021
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
The only way the FO ever listens to trade offers is if Duncan wants to be traded or if we would get another total #1 stud in return.

But another team wouldn't want to swap stud for stud like that...they would want Tim next to their guy. And if Tim ever was dissatisfied with the team enough to want to demand a trade, he'd sooner retire.

I believe every GM in the league knows that, unless their name is RC Buford, they will never have Tim Duncan on their team.

They should just hang #21 up there now.

j-money24
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM

You got to be kidding me...

Killakobe81
02-10-2010, 05:28 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

KG is a pussy who tries to act tough. I am a celtic fan and I can say that with a straight face. Plus he is declining rapidly with that recent knee surgery. On top of that, even when he was healthy...it was easy for him to act like a tough badass when Paul Pierce was the #1 guy.

Amen KG is a HOF'er ...
BUT he is more bark and bite at this point he has not been a great "closer" similar to KArl Malone or Shaq without Pierce he is still ringless ...because ge is not great in the clutch ...

Pierce though a likely HOF'er was not a supertsar like KG but is a gREAT closer ...

02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
would trade him to the cavs and watch him win 3 more championships before he retires. 7 is a good round number. I don't want him to spend the rest of his career on a mediocre team while watching shaq or kobe surpassing him with more rings.

Jace
02-10-2010, 08:26 PM
The only way the FO ever listens to trade offers is if Duncan wants to be traded or if we would get another total #1 stud in return.

But another team wouldn't want to swap stud for stud like that...they would want Tim next to their guy. And if Tim ever was dissatisfied with the team enough to want to demand a trade, he'd sooner retire.

I believe every GM in the league knows that, unless their name is RC Buford, they will never have Tim Duncan on their team.

They should just hang #21 up there now.

I don't agree with the way you are looking at it, neither Duncan nor the Spurs needs to demand a trade.

If one side or both come to the realization that the Spurs simply cannot put enough talent around Tim to win another ring then why wouldn't they agree to split?

Should Tim be stuck to the sinking ship out of loyalty or should the "ship" set him free to go win a ring or 2?

I just don't think it is fair for Duncan to be expected to retire or go down with a sinking franchise, he should be allowed to go to a good team and compete for a ring with the few years he has left

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I have to admit that it would be really funny to see Duncan team up with Lebron and Shaq..that would be disgusting..

wijayas
02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Super silly thread.
And now I am being silly for responding to this silly thread!

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Nuggets out - Nene/JR/Birdman/Allen
Spurs out - Duncan/Mahimi

:lol

The Nuggets bench would be as weak as Manute bol, but the starting 5 would be unstoppable :lol

spurtech09
02-10-2010, 09:14 PM
um no

Dex
02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Spurs fan first, Duncan fan second. I love Duncan, but mostly because of what he's done for the Spurs franchise.

I'd prefer Tim cement his legacy as a lifelong Spur, like David. A title with another team would taint that. If it were to happen, though, I'd cheer Duncan on...as long as it's not against the Spurs.

StoneBuddha
02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
NO. I want Tim to retire a Spur as it is the most fitting ending. Still Tim can do whatever he wants. If he wants to play for a contender (can't believe I'm uttering those words), the FO should accomodate him. I really doubt that is the case though.

Jace
02-10-2010, 09:54 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Nuggets out - Nene/JR/Birdman/Allen
Spurs out - Duncan/Mahimi

:lol

The Nuggets bench would be as weak as Manute bol, but the starting 5 would be unstoppable :lol

I'd throw in McDyess, give you another experienced big man

rascal
02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Trade Duncan to the Nuggets, giving them Melo/Chauncey/Duncan which is a good enough Big 3 to win it all

Trade Ginobli for something

Tim gets rings
Spurs get some pieces + knowledge they didn't drag down Tim with them
Spurs reload over the next few years with Hill/Blair/SPlitter?/Mahinmi?

What would you get for Duncan if Billups and Melo are still with the Nuggets?
So you want to give away your franchise player for nothing?

duhoh
02-10-2010, 10:01 PM
i love how the majority of us love duncan here, and would only let him go if he wanted it.

:tu SAS fans!

02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
it's just kind of depressing to think that he will be stuck on a mediocre team, unable to contend against shaq and kobe.

Jace
02-10-2010, 10:56 PM
What would you get for Duncan if Billups and Melo are still with the Nuggets?
So you want to give away your franchise player for nothing?

Not including possible draft picks

Nene is a good young center
Anderson is a good(but 31) big man
Malik is an expiring
JR Smith is a talented SG

JR/Anderson/Nene can all be good pieces or traded for additional picks/players

Is that enough for Duncan?

If you believe(as I do) that the Spurs cannot reload quick enough to get another ring with him then the Spurs are best off getting what they can from him while also giving him a chance of winning

Obviously you look for the best deal, I don't know the other top teams all that much so I cannot say if you could get more for Duncan