PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers without Kobe would beat the Spurs in a playoff series

timvp
02-09-2010, 02:53 AM
No joke.

Discuss.

JamStone
02-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Possible but not guaranteed.

I think it's more about the Spurs at this point. Something is just not clicking with them right now.

timvp
02-09-2010, 03:03 AM
The only team in the West that might beat a Kobe-less Lakers is the Nuggets. That's about it.

The Spurs would probably lose in 5.

z0sa
02-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Collusion thread

Goran Dragic
02-09-2010, 03:05 AM
You're being a little dramatic. I think Memphis, Dallas or the Jizz could beat a Kobe-less Lakers team.

Chillen
02-09-2010, 03:06 AM
They could beat LA without Kobe/Bynum, the one thing that is for sure is with Kobe/Bynum, this Spurs team isn't beating a healthy Lakers team in a 7 game series.

TheMACHINE
02-09-2010, 03:07 AM
This team wont make it out of the 2nd round with out Kobe. Kobe has played every game since 2007. Teams have a game plan when playing Kobe and the Lakers. The Spurs and Portland just didnt know what to do or know who was going to step up in Kobe's absence. By the time the playoffs starts, other teams will have a better idea how to beat a kobe-less lakers team.

Goran Dragic
02-09-2010, 03:09 AM
This team wont make it out of the 2nd round with out Kobe. Kobe has played every game since 2007. Teams have a game plan when playing Kobe and the Lakers. The Spurs and Portland just didnt know what to do or know who was going to step up in Kobe's absence. By the time the playoffs starts, other teams will have a better idea how to beat a kobe-less lakers team.

The Blazers were also missing their best player (and a lot of other players), people seem to forget that. If Roy is healthy against the Kobe less Lakers, Portland wins.

timvp
02-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Memphis:lol:lol:lol

Dallas:lol:lol

Jizz:lol

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2010, 03:13 AM
You're really being dramatic here timvp..the Nuggets would stomp the Lakers without Kobe..

As for the Spurs, who gives a fuck?..the Spurs would probably lose to Portland without Roy in a 7-game series too..

Fpoonsie
02-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Admittedly, I haven't been on ST for THAT long, but this is the most emo I've seen timvp SINCE making the switch.

Wow.

LkrFan
02-09-2010, 03:16 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with our defense tonight against the Spurs, but I wouldn't go that far OP. This was a good win though.

baseline bum
02-09-2010, 03:21 AM
I agree with the original premise that no way in hell would the Spurs beat a Kobe-less Lakers team, but I think Denver would mop the floor with them. I'd bet on Dallas to be able to do it too, and Portland might have a shot.

timvp
02-09-2010, 03:29 AM
Admittedly, I haven't been on ST for THAT long, but this is the most emo I've seen timvp SINCE making the switch.

Wow.

Pull up a chair because I'm thinking up of some more emo threads. The trick is making Kobe threads that aren't really Kobe threads. At least at face value.

Hmmm ... where's that pic of Jerry West celebrating the Lakers championship . .

Rogue
02-09-2010, 03:39 AM
The only team in the West that might beat a Kobe-less Lakers is the Nuggets. That's about it.

agreed, while there would be far more teams capable of beating the Kobe-ful Lakers.

Rogue
02-09-2010, 03:40 AM
devaluation of Kobe sons.

namlook
02-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Teams tend to initially overachieve when their stars go down. In the long run though you would see the losses piling up for the Lakers.

The Spurs would take the Lakers out in a series without Kobe. If the Lakers had home court the Spurs would win in 6.

DAF86
02-09-2010, 03:50 AM
WTF timvp going Sequ on us.

The Spurs could definitely beat a Kobe-less Lakers in a playoffs series, in fact I think they would be the favorites to win it.

The Spurs would have won yesterday if Pop would have coached a somewhat reasonable game.

-A frontcourt of Blair/RJ/Finley against Gasol/Odom/Artest WTF is that?
-Dice was one of our best players last night and he played 19 minutes.
-Everytime a Spurs player was starting to do some positive things Pop would take him out.
-He waited 'till there were 7 minutes left in the game to insert Tim and Tony in the 4th Q.

TinTin
02-09-2010, 04:29 AM
The San Antonio Scrubs have no business being in the playoffs

21_Blessings
02-09-2010, 04:36 AM
No joke.

Discuss.

You're right. The Spurs have no heart. Plenty of talent though.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-09-2010, 04:45 AM

I agree. Also, Houston might take them deep with a bit of luck like last year.

This Spurs team is old, slow, beaten up, tired and lacking steel. We are going nowhere.

I want to see the team keep Tim, Tony, Manu if he'll sign a decent 2 yr contract, George, Grizzly, Malik and Ian, and trade whatever is left for assets that are, or could land us, youth and athleticism on the perimeter, and a big like Haywood or Okafor to help take the load off Tim for his last two years.

I also know that this is unlikely to happen as we will remain in "win now" mode as long as Tim is playing, and I understand that argument. But how about looking at it from another angle - imagine how much better Tim could make a young core by passing on his leadership and experience to them for the next few years. If they grow quickly, as has happened in OKC, maybe he'll play a year or two longer in a DRob-type role.

Duncan21kid
02-09-2010, 05:17 AM
timvp stop bitching, you were the only sane person after spurs losses... not anymore :depressed

TheSpursFNRule
02-09-2010, 05:32 AM
timvp stop bitching, you were the only sane person after spurs losses... not anymore :depressed

dude thats because our team is really fucked up right now.

Dro210
02-09-2010, 07:05 AM
I'd put money on Denver beating the Lakers WITH Kobe... At least with the way LA has played recently... so without him it's no contest if you ask me.

Denver has had zero problem with LA this year, and they pushed 'em last year. They're just a better team this year. Afflalo has been a really underrated pick up for them. He makes them better than Dahntay Jones did imo. The Nuggets bigs have never been healthier. And Ty Lawson is sick. lol TWolves.

Brazil
02-09-2010, 07:17 AM
You're really being dramatic here timvp..the Nuggets would stomp the Lakers without Kobe..

As for the Spurs, who gives a fuck?..the Spurs would probably lose to Portland without Roy in a 7-game series too..

^this

The_Game
02-09-2010, 07:21 AM
I'd put money on Denver beating the Lakers WITH Kobe... At least with the way LA has played recently... so without him it's no contest if you ask me.

Denver has had zero problem with LA this year, and they pushed 'em last year. They're just a better team this year. Afflalo has been a really underrated pick up for them. He makes them better than Dahntay Jones did imo. The Nuggets bigs have never been healthier. And Ty Lawson is sick. lol TWolves.

bullshit

Nuggets are a good team but they don't have the smarts to beat L.A. Yes they beat them on friday but needed to shoot lights to do so. Those kind of shooters nights won't happen again.

first meeting was without gasol and denver shot lights out without melo and lakers didn't take them seriously.

neither team has faced each other healthy....both teams have different mind sets if everybody isn't there playing.

lakers are still a better team..nothing has changed.

Dro210
02-09-2010, 08:39 AM
bullshit

Nuggets are a good team but they don't have the smarts to beat L.A. Yes they beat them on friday but needed to shoot lights to do so. Those kind of shooters nights won't happen again.

first meeting was without gasol and denver shot lights out without melo and lakers didn't take them seriously.

neither team has faced each other healthy....both teams have different mind sets if everybody isn't there playing.

Just to be clear, when I said "they're just a better team this year." I meant the Nuggets are better this year than they were last year, not that they're a better team than the Lakers. I think overall they're pretty even teams. I just think the Nuggets know how to beat LA. Yalls soft big men don't like when Denver's bigs play physical, and they know it. Melo, Chauncey, and J.R. can all go off, so they'll get their scoring as long as they're all healthy. Shit, even Ty Lawson can go off. Afflalo has the perimeter D. Denver is nice this year, you've gotta admit it. It's gonna be a good series if it happens again, but like I said, my money's on Denver.

TheManFromAcme
02-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Just to be clear, when I said "they're just a better team this year." I meant the Nuggets are better this year than they were last year, not that they're a better team than the Lakers. I think overall they're pretty even teams. I just think the Nuggets know how to beat LA. Yalls soft big men don't like when Denver's bigs play physical, and they know it. Melo, Chauncey, and J.R. can all go off, so they'll get their scoring as long as they're all healthy. Shit, even Ty Lawson can go off. Afflalo has the perimeter D. Denver is nice this year, you've gotta admit it. It's gonna be a good series if it happens again, but like I said, my money's on Denver.

Fair and good post. Denver is a much better team this year. Physically they match well with the Lakers and at this point (probably still a little early) the only thing possibly stopping them is a mental implosion and a George Karl meltdown. I think Laker fans would be in serious denial if they think Denver is a cakewalk.
With that said, $$ is still on Lakers. :toast

BUMP
02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Nuggets, Dallas, Portland. and the Jazz would mop the floor against LA with no Kobe :lol

You can't make assumptions after that shit-the-bed performance by the Spurs last night

Killakobe81
02-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Possible but not guaranteed.

I think it's more about the Spurs at this point. Something is just not clicking with them right now.

I thinks it's possible especially if they continue to play like last night ...... (no disrespect to my team) but unlikely ...

Agree with JAmstone the starting lineup (spurs) rarely seems to fire on all cylinders ...

Lakers have had the same problem at times Kobe has bailed us out a lot ...glad other guys have stepped up ...

Spurs aRE NOT done ...

leemajors
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
bullshit

If Lawson can keep it up, the Nuggets will do well. He's a massive upgrade from whatever trash they had previously backing up Billups.

lefty
02-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Hey guys

Since I'm not from San Antonio, is it ok if I become a Lakers fan? :lol

Killakobe81
02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Fair and good post. Denver is a much better team this year. Physically they match well with the Lakers and at this point (probably still a little early) the only thing possibly stopping them is a mental implosion and a George Karl meltdown. I think Laker fans would be in serious denial if they think Denver is a cakewalk.
With that said, $$ is still on Lakers. :toast

Agree whole heartedly they scare me even more tahn Cleveland but it's close my Cavs "fear" really comes from one man ...
The nuggs have JR, Melo and Chauncey that scare me ... Nene afflalo Lawson all solid ...

BIG x factor for Lakers is Phil and Kobe ...i'll take them over Karl and Melo ...

Killakobe81
02-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Agree whole heartedly they scare me even more tahn Cleveland but it's close my Cavs "fear" really comes from one man ...
The nuggs have JR, Melo and Chauncey that scare me ... Nene afflalo Lawson all solid ...

BIG x factor for Lakers is Phil and Kobe ...i'll take them over Karl and Melo ...

That being said Cavs the faves nuggs 2nd Lakers 3rd but i think by end of the season I will fel EVEN better about the Lakers...

TheManFromAcme
02-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Agreed

Brazil
02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Hey guys

LA is full of bandwagonners so I guess it won't be a problem

Killakobe81
02-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey guys

Sure why not?

We have bandwagoners, die hards, old-timers it's all love

Just hate the Celts
Respect Chick
And EXPECT to win ...even if we go down for w hile KNOW we will ALWAYS be back!

Welcome aboard!!!

lefty
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Sure why not?

We have bandwagoners, die hards, old-timers it's all love

Just hate the Celts
Respect Chick
And EXPECT to win ...even if we go down for w hile KNOW we will ALWAYS be back!

Welcome aboard!!!
Never !

Spurs fan for life :depressed

D2Procon
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
A Kobe-less Lakers would take down any team in 5 games. A Lakers team with Kobe would probably push it to 7 games only because Kobe will just chuck up shots and take away from others.

TheManFromAcme
02-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey guys

Shame on you lefty......:nope
You should stick with your team through thick and thin

...but if you insist....

Sure, why not.

lefty
02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Shame on you lefty......:nope
You should stick with your team through thick and thin

...but if you insist....

Sure, why not.
Read what I posted after that

tlongII
02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Memphis would beat the Lakers without Kobe. Guaransheed. They have the size to neutralize L.A.'s frontcourt. Denver would get them too. That's about it though.

TheManFromAcme
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Read what I posted after that

Posted before the fact.
Good job. Loyalty rules. :toast

hater
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
the sky is blue :rolleyes

so would the Blazers, Jazz, Mavs, Nuggets, Cavs, Celtics, Magic :pctoss

lefty
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Posted before the fact.
Good job. Loyalty rules. :toast
:toast

ffadicted
02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Stupid cliffjumping thread, no they wouldn't lol
Not to mention Utah, Dallas, Denver, Portland, Oak Town and probably Houston and Phoenix could beat them too. You're comparing the spurs worst game of the season with the best case scenario kobe-less lakers performance

TD 21
02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
No joke.

Discuss.

You're right, but the reason for that isn't because the Lakers are some historically great team, it's because they have the longest, most mobile and best front line in the league and the Spurs have one of the shortest, least mobile and worst front lines in the league. That's the difference right there.

It's not really about overall talent throughout the roster because, there's no question that the Spurs have better depth and talent on the perimeter, but they're so ill-equipped to deal with the Lakers front line that they wouldn't have a chance. A prime Duncan might be able to take down those three in a series, but I doubt it. He needs help and for too long this organization has taken him for granted and haven't given him that help and now they're paying the consequences for that.

FalleNxWiZarDx
02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
No joke.

Discuss.

I would of never thought you would come up with such a thread timvp.... :depressed

adidas11
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
You're right, but the reason for that isn't because the Lakers are some historically great team, it's because they have the longest, most mobile and best front line in the league and the Spurs have one of the shortest, least mobile and worst front lines in the league. That's the difference right there.

It's not really about overall talent throughout the roster because, there's no question that the Spurs have better depth and talent on the perimeter, but they're so ill-equipped to deal with the Lakers front line that they wouldn't have a chance. A prime Duncan might be able to take down those three in a series, but I doubt it. He needs help and for too long this organization has taken him for granted and haven't given him that help and now they're paying the consequences for that.

+1

TimVP rarely posts out of emotion. He really thinks through his posts and eloquently lays out his thoughts. He is probably on the mark on this one.

This Lakers team is a very poor matchup for the Spurs. The Lakers are strong defensively in three areas that the Spurs depend on for offense.

1) Point guard. The Lakers have Fisher who has always been a hard-nosed pg to start off with, and have Shannon Brown (who is stronger and more physical) and Farmar (who is quick) to have options coming off the bench. Providing decent cover against Tony Parker

2). Swingman. With Ron Artest, the Lakers have someone who can physically manhandle Manu.

3) In the paint. The Lakers are able to counter with length and height with Odom/Gasol/Bynum. More than enough to defend against Tim Duncan and limit his looks in the paint. Yes, those three could possible struggle against a physical front line (like the Celtics), but Duncan isn't a physical player, who uses his fundamentals and touch to dominate in the paint.

The only way these Lakers beat a Kobe-less Lakers is if Richard Jefferson provides the other complement swingman scoring option. That way, even if Manu is being shadowed, someone else can go off from the perimeter. And that just isn't going to happen.

TimVP is correct in his analysis.

Phonzie20
02-10-2010, 12:33 AM
If Lawson can keep it up, the Nuggets will do well. He's a massive upgrade from whatever trash they had previously backing up Billups.

That would be Anthony Carter.

Man that guy is frustrating.

duhoh
02-10-2010, 12:45 AM
That would be Kenny Smith.

Man that guy is frustrating.

fixed

:lol