PDA

View Full Version : Why not try this strategy with RJ...

hater
02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
as you've seen, pop has thrown RJ out there since day 1. It's obviously not worked.

How about have him play minimum minutes and have to fight his minutes with the rest of the team. bring him off the bench and if he makes a couple of mistakes bench his ass for the rest of the game.

that would help in 2 ways, we won't have a walking, talking black hole playing starter minutes and will take psychological pressure off RJ (he obviously can't handle the pressure)

nkdlunch
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
when it comes to RJ, less is more

z0sa
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Why not try any strategy other than turning an athletic highflying slasher into a spotup jumpshooter, even on the fast break?

Bruno
02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Benching a player after a couple of mistakes doesn't put pressure on him? :lol

hater
02-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Benching a player after a couple of mistakes doesn't put pressure on him? :lol

not as much as leaving him out there on the floor and urging him to find his game and his spot on the team. It obviously has not worked.

Bruno
02-09-2010, 11:50 AM
not as much as leaving him out there on the floor and urging him to find his game and his spot on the team. It obviously has not worked.

It puts even more pressure on him. Playing knowing that you are a mistake away of being benched is the worst scenario possible for a player.

Pop could definitely try to change his approach with RJ with something like "Stop trying to fit in, just play your game and the team will adjust."

hater
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
It puts even more pressure on him. Playing knowing that you are a mistake away of being benched is the worst scenario possible for a player.

Pop could definitely try to change his approach with RJ with something like "Stop trying to fit in, just play your game and the team will adjust."

Disagree.

Pressure of RJ needing to be Spurs 3rd or 4th best player and X factor is much higher than pressure of not commiting a mistake as a bench player.

truth is, RJ was brought in and told "go and become our X factor and 3rd or 4th player, now!" that, is much more pressure.

I say, take that pressure away. Tell him "you don't need to be our 4th best player anymore. Just be a solid bench player" that, is less pressure.

z0sa
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Everyone, especially Tim (that I remember), said during the offseason that they were going to ride RJ more than even he could imagine..

Trimble87
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Even if Pop was to bench Jefferson, or make him "fight for his minutes"... Who else is there for him to contend with? Finley, Bogans, Mason and Hill are the 4 guys who could get more minutes from RJ... Hill is already steadily increasing in playing time and in no way can play the SF position. Bogans and Mason have been mediocre at best this season and are both also undersized to play SF. Finley is the only viable option at the 3 that we have off of the bench and hes 48 years old. Unless you suggest bringing Hairston back for quality minutes we're pretty much stuck with RJ.

LOL@MavsFan
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Dick is a pussy...plain and simple.

temujin
02-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Do you want the Spurs to lose the Indiana and New jersey games as well?

Bruno
02-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Do you want the Spurs to loose the Indiana and New jersey games as well?

Last time I've check, RJ has been a damn good player playing his game for years. And it's not like he was only on bad teams...

temujin
02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Last time I've check, RJ has been a damn good player playing his game for years. And it's not like he was only on bad teams...

Well, I have had a weird feeling the first time I saw him play.
And just looking at his face did not help.

Stating that he has made a couple of mistakes after 50 games,
well, it's like having Eternity in mind.
Compared to Eternity, yes, jefferson has only made a couple of mistakes.
And he is still averaging 12ppg, for those that love statistics.

Players like that take the energy of the team away, though.

temujin
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Disagree.

Pressure of RJ needing to be Spurs 3rd or 4th best player and X factor is much higher than pressure of not commiting a mistake as a bench player.

truth is, RJ was brought in and told "go and become our X factor and 3rd or 4th player, now!" that, is much more pressure.

I say, take that pressure away. Tell him "you don't need to be our 4th best player anymore. Just be a solid bench player" that, is less pressure.

Agree.

A solid player at the END of a LONG bench, yes.