PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm No Longer A Republican Part CMXXXIV

SPARKY
04-29-2005, 03:13 PM
...actually, a more appropriate title for this thread would be: Why I Don't Care About Politics Anymore

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050429/ap_en_mu/people_nelson

1 hour, 45 minutes ago

Texas Won't Name Road After Willie Nelson

AUSTIN, Texas - Singer Willie Nelson's name is off the road again.

A state legislator had proposed naming a 49-mile stretch of Texas Highway 130 being built around Austin in Nelson's honor.

But two Republican senators, Steve Odgen of Bryan and Jeff Wentworth of San Antonio, said they didn't want Nelson's name on the road that crosses their districts, citing the musician's fondness for drinking and smoking, and active campaigning for Democratic candidates.

"It's frustrating, and sad in a way, but at this point, there is no reason to make this an unpleasant experience for anyone, especially Willie, so I'll take no further action on the bill," Sen. Gonzalo Barrientos, an Austin Democrat and the bill's author, said Wednesday.

Barrientos said he wanted to honor Nelson, "who has been responsible for so much good music and so many good works."

The Ressurrected One
04-29-2005, 03:19 PM
...actually, a more appropriate title for this thread would be: Why I Don't Care About Politics Anymore

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050429/ap_en_mu/people_nelson

1 hour, 45 minutes ago

Texas Won't Name Road After Willie Nelson

AUSTIN, Texas - Singer Willie Nelson's name is off the road again.

A state legislator had proposed naming a 49-mile stretch of Texas Highway 130 being built around Austin in Nelson's honor.

But two Republican senators, Steve Odgen of Bryan and Jeff Wentworth of San Antonio, said they didn't want Nelson's name on the road that crosses their districts, citing the musician's fondness for drinking and smoking, and active campaigning for Democratic candidates.

"It's frustrating, and sad in a way, but at this point, there is no reason to make this an unpleasant experience for anyone, especially Willie, so I'll take no further action on the bill," Sen. Gonzalo Barrientos, an Austin Democrat and the bill's author, said Wednesday.

Barrientos said he wanted to honor Nelson, "who has been responsible for so much good music and so many good works."
I think roads should only be named after dead people anyway...but, yeah, I agree...it's a shame. I like Willie.

NeoConIV
04-29-2005, 03:52 PM
I think roads should only be named after dead people anyway
So why isn't the legislature appropriately renaming that strip of highway in honor of SRV?

More important than his smoking and drinking, Willie, (God love him) was a notorious tax evader. And only because of his fame and connections is he not behind bars.

I don't think these two Republicans in Austin are out of bounds here...

SPARKY
04-29-2005, 03:54 PM
My God he smokes, drinks, and hates taxes. Crucify him!

jalbre6
04-29-2005, 03:55 PM
So why isn't the legislature appropriately renaming that strip of highway in honor of SRV?

More important than his smoking and drinking, Willie, (God love him) was a notorious tax evader. And only because of his fame and connections is he not behind bars.

I don't think these two Republicans in Austin are out of bounds here...

I'm down with the Stevie Ray suggestion.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Do they want Grant off the $50 bill too?

NeoConIV
04-29-2005, 04:30 PM
My God he smokes, drinks, and hates taxes. Crucify him!
Hating taxes and not paying taxes...two different things altogether.

I kind of support naming it after Willie myself, for reasons like Farm-Aid and all his other unheralded charitable donations, and of course his legendary music career etc, but I'm only saying I don't think those is opposition are without merit. That's all.

Sec24Row7
04-29-2005, 04:41 PM
I think it's BS... I'm conservative as hell, but they guy just IS Texas...

jalbre6
04-29-2005, 04:58 PM
i saw willie nelson play a couple summers ago in south bend, in

he played the first 2 songs against a gigantic american flag backdrop (one being 'whiskey for my horses')..and i was getting disappointed...so i was getting up to go get myself a 7 dollar beer, and then bam, i hear the first chords of Texas Flood. i look up, and there's this ginormous texas flag unfurling, replacing the american flag backdrop. and he played in front of the texas flag the rest of the night.
replacing the US flag with the TX flag in the post-9/11 era...now that's texas
he deserves a fucking road

You attend ND? That's my favorite school to bash, even more than OU, Tech, and Aggieland.

jalbre6
04-29-2005, 05:40 PM
graduated from nd

hated every expensive-ass second of it

i didn't want to transfer, because of all the money i had already shelled out--so i went to summer school and graduated early

OK, then I will spare you the abuse of listening to me bitch about how the Irish singlehandedly ruined college football as we know it in the mid-90's.

desflood
04-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Gee, that's funny. I drink and smoke whenever I get the chance, but the Republicans always want my money.

Duff McCartney
04-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Personally, I think the state legislation has more important things to do than renaming a street after somebody.

BTW, I support naming the street after Willie Nelson, and I think the two Repukes are idiots.

Clandestino
04-29-2005, 08:05 PM
willie is good singer, but also, just a big pothead... he hasn't done anything, but sing and smoke dope.

Guru of Nothing
04-29-2005, 09:54 PM
willie is good singer, but also, just a big pothead... he hasn't done anything, but sing and smoke dope.

Thus spoke the Guru of Biege.

Nbadan
04-30-2005, 12:22 AM
You do know its Jeff Wentworth, and Republican, who is leading the charge against naming a street for Willie, right?

Guru of Nothing
04-30-2005, 09:29 PM
You do know its Jeff Wentworth, and Republican, who is leading the charge against naming a street for Willie, right?

Are you talking to me? Of course I know it's a republican! In fact, my intent was to associate republicans and the arts with the color beige.

Do you think I'm a republican?