PDA

View Full Version : Official Bring Back PJ Carlesimo Thread

Flux451
02-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Seriously, PJ is not a great head coach (although he sticks his neck out for his players) but an awesome assistant coach. There is something missing in our staff. I wouldn't replace Pop just yet. But he needs help for sure. He is way over his head with the new Spurs makeover. Plus, I saw PJ's post on Craigslist. "In search of job to help team from successful completing a downward spiral."

Thoughts?

(mods, please merge with other coach thread if feel appropriate)

Chomag
02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
He is so underated by so many here IMO. One thing I know for sure though is that he is not a YES MAN unlike what we have backing up Pop currently.

ElNono
02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Plus PJ loved to talk to the fans and anybody that cared to listen to him, really... :tu

urunobili
02-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm on this one too... anything.. just change something... oh and Trade Manu too... :lol

venitian navigator
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I already said that in a different post...imho Pop needs something to face with.
The combo of him and PJ was working really well...

SpurNation
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
The GM would have to fire the coach.

But PJ is a great X's & O's coach. I'm just not sure about his player management skills.

Flux451
02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
The GM would have to fire the coach.

But PJ is a great X's & O's coach. I'm just not sure about his player management skills.

NOt sure how you interpreted the original post, but it was meant for PJ to come back as an assistant coach. And right now he is just a broadcaster. Apologize if I misread into your post.

dbestpro
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Would love PJ back. Coach Bud is a yes man. Designed to kiss Pops ring from the ground up. PJ could make Pop listen unless Pop is too far gone. Maybe, we should call him "Woody Hayes" Pop.

SpurNation
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
NOt sure how you interpreted the original post, but it was meant for PJ to come back as an assistant coach. And right now he is just a broadcaster. Apologize if I misread into your post.

Sorry for my missed interpretation of the OP.

I don't see Pop as somebody who takes back old members of his staff if they bolted for greener pastures. I could be wrong on that assumption.

But also...I am of the notion that it was PJ's X's & O's savvy that helped the Spurs win some of those close games in the past that they somehow can't seem to win now.

Would Pop put himself in that position by allowing somebody that might show him up in game time situations?

Toni61
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Bring PJ Back !!!!

lefty
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Bring back PJ

And JAX !

spurf
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes - I've thought this ever since he left. PJ adds something to the team that is missing right now. But as a head coach - NO!

ShoogarBear
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I think there's some merit to the basic idea, but hiring an assistant this late in the year is unprecendented and unlikely to have any impact on this season.

Also, is there any indication PJ would be interested in coming back?

TJastal
02-09-2010, 03:15 PM
If you don't want to replace POop what's the point? He's still going to trot out small ball lineups whether Carlisimo is sitting next to him on the bench or not.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2010, 03:18 PM
PJ couldn't stop the smallball show in the past. He's a nice guy, but I'm not sure how he helps. Gotta cut the head off the snake, folks.

diego
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
as i understand it pop would have to step down. I dont see him doing that midseason, and probably not a good idea at this point anyway. but it would be nice if PJ or avery or someone of that ilk would come in as an assistant now to take over next season. pop definitely looks and sounds done.

ezau
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Pop needs to go

Hemotivo
02-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Carlesimo >>>>>>>> the shootin' coach

slayermin
02-09-2010, 10:44 PM
We need someone on the bench who will tell Pop that he's being a horses' ass. And PJ always seemed like that guy to me when he was here. Newman, Budenholzer, and Brown seem way too intimidated by Pop or too nice to do that.

tlongII
02-09-2010, 10:53 PM
PJ is a horrible coach. I spent 3 years watching that clown.

Blackjack
02-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Assistant coaches aren't costing the Spurs games but while we're on the subject, and since his team is on the verge of a firesale, I'd absolutely love to get Cassell on the bench.

That dude's swag is unreal and his family could possibly abduct Coach Pop.

HoopsCzar
02-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Seriously, PJ is not a great head coach (although he sticks his neck out for his players) but an awesome assistant coach. There is something missing in our staff. I wouldn't replace Pop just yet. But he needs help for sure. He is way over his head with the new Spurs makeover. Plus, I saw PJ's post on Craigslist. "In search of job to help team from successful completing a downward spiral."

Thoughts?

(mods, please merge with other coach thread if feel appropriate)

Thought's? { are you serious? },..

I don't just say but historic record shows that Carlesimo has been given more than his fair share of opportunities. For which he's promptly showed his wares and repeatedly failed. Thus not beyond any prism aside from basketball any hear of Carlesimo receives as resounding NO from my perspective,..not even a nod in returning him to the college ranks.

Not just because of his numerous floor failures but because he's more player polarizing than he is basketball adept. See depending on a given teams floor talent an individual can all but literally hide as an assistant coach. Yet be be hailed a contributor by some merely by not having had the leverage to screw up royal,..especially if they've tubed it having held ultimate decision making reigns before.

See he's a terrible thought with this team because he's no dynamic coach and this team needs more than coaching. That's atop the fact that Popovich brings more than enough temperamental quirks all by himself,..danger Will Robinson.

Thus to add a P.J. Carlesimo would be about as effective as pairing Dr. Strangelove with a journeyman retread intern Edward Scissorhands type as a surgical operating team. But yet not expecting them to combine to provide extended life to Rosemary's baby,..

Mark in Austin
02-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Pass on PJ,

but I'll take Lawrence Frank as an assistant...

blkroadrunners
02-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Bring back Hank Egan while you're at it.

hsxvvd
02-10-2010, 04:14 AM
Yw7KijRfU-c&feature=related

^ This is what we need.

JR3
02-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I love PJ but I would rather bring AJ back as assistant coach. We need a vocal leader. Everyone on our team this year is quiet. In years past we would have at least one guy who was a vocal leader. Not one this year. AJ, come on over.

JiggaWhat99
02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
bring both back, but I think PJ as assistant and AJ as assistant and coach in waiting

JiggaWhat99
02-10-2010, 04:05 PM
and Lawrence Frank as a consultant to knock some sense in Jefferson

boutons_deux
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
AJ ain't smart enough to be a coach, anymore than a pitbull bitch could be POTUS

I've listened to him talk enough to know he's a stupid fuck (which is no comment on his playing or jersey hanging).

Obstructed_View
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
AJ ain't smart enough to be a coach, anymore than a pitbull bitch could be POTUS

I've listened to him talk enough to know he's a stupid fuck (which is no comment on his playing or jersey hanging).

That's all the endorsement I need. AJ for head coach. Do it now.