PDA

View Full Version : Sit RJ and play RMJ

mingus
02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
RMJ fits this team better than RJ. he had more highlights as a Spur last year, esp. before Pop moved him to backup pg, than RJ has had all year for us, and he's clutch, and he's not a mental pussy. i think his sporadic shooting is due more to Pop's fucked up rotations than anything.

the Spurs have incentive to play RJ because of how much they spent to bring him here, but it's clear it can't work. there's no point in trying to make the impossible happen.

lefty
02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Why not?

And start RJ at the PF position, since Dice is sucking hard

mingus
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Dice has shown enough to keep my faith. his ability to spread the floor is an asset, esp. with Manu starting to regain form. RJ doesn't do that.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
RMJ shot really well in one game, was rewarded for it, had trouble adjusting and missed shots, was blamed for the loss by the coach to the media, and has hardly gotten any burn since. He should absolutely be starting. It's time for the Bogans experiment to be officially declared a failure.

mingus
02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
the Spurs need to sit RJ. i can't stand this pussy. 14 mil year and the only evolution we've seen from him all year is that he grew a damn goatee.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
the Spurs need to sit RJ. i can't stand this pussy. 14 mil year and the only evolution we've seen from him all year is that he grew a damn goatee.

Yeah a "play hard on defense or sit" mentality is exactly what RJ needs. Who was it that turned the Mavs around with that policy? I forget.

mingus
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
i personally think the Spurs should start:

Parker
Manu
Mason
Duncan
Ratliff

bring RJ off the bench

yea the perimeter defense sucks with that lineup, but with Ratliff and Duncan in the middle, the opposing team's perimeter players better hope their jumper is falling because they're going to have trouble scoring inside.

xtremesteven33
02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
The one player I feel sorry for is RMJ. This guy isnt allowed to have bad games apparently. Finley and Jefferson have been horrible this year, and yet Pop still wants to play them consistently. And Mason is a great shooter, he has proven that. But Dumbass Popovich has messed up his game so bad that he just doesnt feel comfortable anymore.

Roger Mason couldve been a solid 2 guard in the rotation but Pop managed to burn his confidence totally.

TJastal
02-09-2010, 02:31 PM
The one player I feel sorry for is RMJ. This guy isnt allowed to have bad games apparently. Finley and Jefferson have been horrible this year, and yet Pop still wants to play them consistently. And Mason is a great shooter, he has proven that. But Dumbass Popovich has messed up his game so bad that he just doesnt feel comfortable anymore.

Roger Mason couldve been a solid 2 guard in the rotation but Pop managed to burn his confidence totally.

+1

He had one bad game (shot 1-6) against the nuggets after Pop thrust him into the starting job after his role was coming off the bench the entire year.

That was all it took for Pop to throw him into the doghouse, and that was after a pretty decent game against the grizzlies where he single handedly took over that game in the 4th quarter and won it for the spurs.

And of course 99% of the wankers on this site fell right into line, all of a sudden every other posting you read is "Mason sucks" .. "Mason outta be traded for dirt" etc etc.

TJastal
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah a "play hard on defense or sit" mentality is exactly what RJ needs. Who was it that turned the Mavs around with that policy? I forget.

I would love to watch AJ coach the spurs. Seriously, I'd go to the spurs' games in my area just to watch him coach.

ShoogarBear
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Any links to where Pop blamed Mason for the Denver loss? I missed all that.

holcs50
02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Eh, sorry but neither option is very good. Playing RMJ a few more minutes isn't going to change a damn thing. Especially IF the spurs make the playoffs-and we all know how well RMJ does in the playoffs! They both are garbage

TJastal
02-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Eh, sorry but neither option is very good. Playing RMJ a few more minutes isn't going to change a damn thing. Especially IF the spurs make the playoffs-and we all know how well RMJ does in the playoffs! They both are garbage

I'm not going to put a lot of stock into one 6 game series where Mason was trying to handle all the backup point guard duties in addition to his normal ones because Pop was too much of an idiot to use his normal backup point guard.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Any links to where Pop blamed Mason for the Denver loss? I missed all that.

Are you really unable to find the quotes after the Denver game or are you taking issue with the contention that Pop was blaming Mason for the loss?

SpurNation
02-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Let's see.

Last year when the team started Parker, Mason, Finley, Duncan and Kurt...subbed with Ginobili, Gooden, Bowen...they were on a role to be one of the top teams in the west. Everybody playing a position they were best at playing and being expected to play regarding their strengths.

We didn't see hardly any negative threads regarding Mason's lack of defensive ability. But more importantly...they were winning.

Ginobili gets hurt. Duncan gets hobbled. It was expected the Spurs wouldn't do well in that scenario but they survived. And this with Mason playing out of position to compensate for the lack of a b/u PG.

A season later. Ginobili FG% is down. Parker is not playing at his all star level. Duncan is healthier but not his "old" self. But Mason is asked to once again play out of position and expected to be good at a position he isn't suited for and/or asked to be something he never was?

Sound familiar? RJ is being asked and expected of the same.

Do you see the common thread here?

Starting and/or sitting isn't going to change the outcome of playing out of position and/or asked to play in a way that is not your strength.

Is it any wonder that neither have a mental desire to continue at a level that is "expected" of them to not neccesarily perform but in "how to perform"?

It's like asking a man to give birth to a baby. It ain't happening.

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2010, 03:38 PM
You can't start Mason because Jefferson is such a horrible defender and Tony can't be guarding wing players..it's simple as that..Mason is a below average defender, so that will make our D even worse..

He should absolutely be getting playing time off the bench, but obviously he won't now that Finley is back..is it a coincidence that Pop putting Mason in the "dog house" coincided with Finley's return?..

ShoogarBear
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Are you really unable to find the quotes after the Denver game or are you taking issue with the contention that Pop was blaming Mason for the loss?

The only post-game quote thread I found was this: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145615&

And the only person who mentioned Mason in those quotes was Ginobili.

rAm
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO thanks

bigfan
02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Id take Mason starting over RJ anyday.

PublicOption
02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
time to trade Hill, RJ, RMJ and Bonner now.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2010, 05:55 PM
The only post-game quote thread I found was this: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145615&

And the only person who mentioned Mason in those quotes was Ginobili.

Yeah, that's not all of what he said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/83211512.html

He never did mention Mason by name in his comments, but only one guy lost his starting job as a result of that game, and as bad as the defense was, citing missed shots as the reason for the loss is a stretch at best.

ShoogarBear
02-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, it's pretty clear that Mason bore the brunt of that, which is comical if you want to compare his clutch shot/bad game ratio to that of RJ, Bonner, or even Hill for that matter.

Still, the posts in here gave one the distinct impression that Pop had specifically called him out by name.

Obstructed_View
02-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Yeah, it's pretty clear that Mason bore the brunt of that, which is comical if you want to compare his clutch shot/bad game ratio to that of RJ, Bonner, or even Hill for that matter.

Still, the posts in here gave one the distinct impression that Pop had specifically called him out by name.

The subsequent actions by the coach indicate, to me at least, who the comments were directed at. Roger should have gotten several games to start to see how he adjusted to the role. I'm not sure how a coach doesn't realize by now how much better shooters play when they're in a comfort zone.

holcs50
02-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Id take Mason starting over RJ anyday.

Idiot. WTf is that going to do? Honestly?

If anything you start manu. TP , hill, manu, dice and td and see how it goes

Im fucking pissed at rj too but i cant even grasp why spurs fans who know wtf they're talking about think mason is a good replacement for rjs minutes

This is the real fucking world. Watch a game or two. RMJ is a choker and sucks-get over it. :ihit

all_heart
02-10-2010, 08:45 AM
What's fucking up Mason and the whole team (chemistry) is the constant going in and coming out of Pops doghouse. Pop needs to trust his guys and just keep working with them. It's not good for anybody's confidence. Look at Hill, he's gain Pops' confidence and then boom, he's having a good year. When Bonner and Finley are getting the same or more minutes than you.. it can't be good.

Pop is wondering why his team can't gel together.. quit screwing with their heads..

Obstructed_View
02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Idiot. WTf is that going to do? Honestly?

If anything you start manu. TP , hill, manu, dice and td and see how it goes

Im fucking pissed at rj too but i cant even grasp why spurs fans who know wtf they're talking about think mason is a good replacement for rjs minutes

This is the real fucking world. Watch a game or two. RMJ is a choker and sucks-get over it. :ihit

This is the real fucking world. Watch a game or two. Mason has been better since he's been a Spur. Get over it.

holcs50
02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
This is the real fucking world. Watch a game or two. Mason has been better since he's been a Spur. Get over it.

yea and is the replacement of rmj to rj's minutes going to make a difference/??? No, get over it

Or actually we could go back and watch last years playoffs and see how good rmj really is. :rollin

Obstructed_View
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
yea and is the replacement of rmj to rj's minutes going to make a difference/???

Um, yeah. It will. Mason's as good a scorer within the Spurs system as Jefferson is, he's a far better role player, when allowed to play his role, and he doesn't ruin the team's chemistry.

Many of us are still of the opinion that Mason would have been fine last year if he hadn't suddenly been thrust into a backup point guard role for the second half of the season and the first two games of the playoffs.

And using last year's playoffs to attempt to support most arguments is lame, as Pop basically declared the season over once Manu was injured.