PDA

View Full Version : ESPN J.A. Adande: it's official, SPURS suck!

biba
02-09-2010, 03:13 PM
1. Lakers Still Sharp Without Kobe, Bynum
By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100208/daily-dime

LOS ANGELES -- Notice how this time of year you don't hear anyone saying "it's just one game" in the NBA. We've seen enough of the season to take plenty from 48 minutes of basketball, and the obvious conclusion to draw from the Lakers' 101-89 victory over the Spurs on Monday night was the Lakers aren't mortally wounded without Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum, and the Spurs aren't better for adding Richard Jefferson.

The Lakers haven't had Bryant (sprained left ankle) for the past two games and Bynum (bruised right hip) for the past game and a half, but during that time they ended a nine-game losing streak at Portland and sent the Spurs -- their supposed rival for Western Conference supremacy at the start of the season -- deeper into also-ran status. If San Antonio at full strength can't beat a short-handed Lakers team in as favorable conditions as teams visiting Los Angeles could ask for, we should stop considering the Spurs among the contenders.

The Lakers tapped into their potential and demonstrated that they haven't been better than the sum of their parts so far. Lamar Odom's game isn't a natural fit alongside Bryant, and Bynum has had his difficulties fitting in with Pau Gasol. But ask Odom and Gasol to do more by necessity, with no viable alternative, and they inscribe their initials all over the stat sheet. Odom has always been better with the ball than playing off it. Monday he was grabbing rebounds, initiating the fast break, driving by power forwards and posting up guards to the tune of 16 points and 10 rebounds.

Gasol led the Lakers in every major category, with 21 points, 19 rebounds, eight assists and five turnovers. He seemed to relish having the ball placed in his hands almost every possession, as well as providing the last line of defense and playing all but two minutes of the game.

"Tonight was fun," Gasol said. "We're playing hard. When you play hard and give your best and things work out, you're happy."

The freedom on offense and fun that comes without Bryant could end Wednesday if Bryant comes back from the injury against the Jazz in Utah. For his participation in that and the All-Star Game, Kobe says, "If I'm not able to play, I won't play. But if I'm healthy I will. It's as simple as that."

No one thinks the Lakers can win a championship without him, because someone's going to have to make the big shots on the road. Phil Jackson implied the reason the Lakers often downgrade into a Kobe-watching team when he's out there is that he makes it so easy by seemingly scoring at will.

"It makes it a lot easier on everybody when you don't have to work as hard to score," Jackson said.

On the flip side, watching the Lakers without Bryant can be easier to watch if you want to see a team effort and not a dynamic individual performance. The Lakers were two baskets away from placing seven scorers in double figures. They beat a full-strength Spurs team.

But this victory can't be counted as one against an elite team. The Spurs are 29-21, much closer to being out of the playoffs than they are to the Lakers' record in the Western Conference, and six victories shy of last season's pace.

"For some reason I'm not getting through to this group," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich lamented, before laying into everything that's wrong with his team. "It's about mental toughness and physical toughness and passion, a group jelling together and pulling for each other, and we're not doing it."

It's easy to zero in on Jefferson. The Spurs acquired him and his expensive contract (for this season and next) with the hope of adding firepower. So far all he's given them is 12.1 points and 3.6 rebounds per game -- numbers that aren't much better than Roger Mason's 11.8 ppg and 3.1 rpg last season.

Popovich stopped just short of selling him out, responding to a pregame query on Jefferson by saying, "He's still in the process of trying to find himself on the court, both offensively and defensively. Maybe the defense takes a little bit longer. But at this point he's still a work in progress."

And that was before Jefferson shot 2-for-9 with only two rebounds.

Afterward, Popovich was very succinct in his response to a question when asked if he needs to see more from Jefferson.

"That would be a great thing," Popovich said.

ESPN columnist J.A. Adande is a regular contributor to the Daily Dime

Obstructed_View
02-09-2010, 03:16 PM
The Spurs should be really glad that so many other teams in the west are stinking it up so far this season. Frankly, it's the only thing keeping them in playoff contention.

murpjf88
02-09-2010, 03:18 PM
I didn't need this article to see the writing on the wall.

Bruno
02-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I love people creating fake article titles. :tu

Blackjack
02-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Nice to see an LA-type acknowledge that there's nothing to see here and that a win over this Spurs team doesn't equate to one of the biggest wins of their season; it seems the only time the Spurs garner respect on a national level, is when they're on the wrong end of an ass-whooping and it helps to prop up their counterpart.

Fmsll.

Libri
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
"But at this point he's still a work in progress."I usually read quotes like this about rookies.

alchemist
02-09-2010, 03:43 PM
:sleep

spurs lose = front page media coverage
spurs win = 12th page section

too predictable now.

TD 21
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice to see an LA-type acknowledge that there's nothing to see here and that a win over this Spurs team doesn't equate to one of the biggest wins of their season; it seems the only time the Spurs garner respect on a national level, is when they're on the wrong end of an ass-whooping and it helps to prop up their counterpart.

Fmsll.

Exactly. I don't remember people slobbering over this team relentlessly when they were on top (and better than this Lakers team), but the instant they're down all these people are coming out of the woodwork to kick them when they're down. For some reason, every time the Spurs were on top they were vulnerable and every time the Lakers have been this decade, people act like they're unbeatable and historically great. It's sickening.

I can't wait until Bryant's body fails him (it's already starting to) and this "great" team begins to crumble, then what? Will the media treat them as they do the Spurs? I can almost guarantee you they won't. Then again, they probably won't have to because, something miraculous will probably occur to help the Lakers remain relevant. It always does.

The Btown Spur
02-09-2010, 06:20 PM
The worst thing about us losing these games is that the other teams like dallas are losing too, so were wasting good opportunities to gain games on these teams, I dont know how many chances we will have to gain a game on the other teams.

daslicer
02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Exactly. I don't remember people slobbering over this team relentlessly when they were on top (and better than this Lakers team), but the instant they're down all these people are coming out of the woodwork to kick them when they're down. For some reason, every time the Spurs were on top they were vulnerable and every time the Lakers have been this decade, people act like they're unbeatable and historically great. It's sickening.

I can't wait until Bryant's body fails him (it's already starting to) and this "great" team begins to crumble, then what? Will the media treat them as they do the Spurs? I can almost guarantee you they won't. Then again, they probably won't have to because, something miraculous will probably occur to help the Lakers remain relevant. It always does.

The Lakers will have their own hell in a few years when Kobe's body completely breaks down along with Gasol. They will be in the exact same situation the spurs are in right now with their core all in their mid 30's except for Bynum.

alchemist
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
The Lakers will have their own hell in a few years when Kobe's body completely breaks down along with Gasol. They will be in the exact same situation the spurs are in right now with their core all in their mid 30's except for Bynum.
How many Stars want to come to San Antonio? Close to zero. Now how many would love to play in L.A.? A Lot.

L.A. won't ever have a really long losing drought because they have the benefit of playing in Hollywood. That's a huge advantage.

daslicer
02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
How many Stars want to come to San Antonio? Close to zero. Now how many would love to play in L.A.? A Lot.

L.A. won't ever have a really long losing drought because they have the benefit of playing in Hollywood. That's a huge advantage.

I disagree with that it gives them an edge but it doesn't guarantee from suffering a long losing drought. I think some of you guys are traumatized from the Gasol trade but prior to that they were set to be a garbage to middle of the pack team for the decade or up until Kobe's contract came off the books they were in cap hell. They can attract FAs but it does no good if their over the cap they certainly aren't going to get a supertar FA on the same level like Lebron to play for peanuts. Nobody can predict the future espescially how the leagues salary cap will function after the next CBA.

I still remember the 13 year drought from 1987-2000 the lakers pretty much couldn't win shit. Look at the Knicks they are in the largest market and have been crap for more then 10 years and even now its not set in stone they are going to get Lebron. They pretty much have to hope the cavs don't win the title to get him. Look at Chicago they are the third biggest market in the US and they still haven't won a title in 12 years. On top of that LaKers gm Mitch Kupchek strikes me as a dumbass he pretty much lucked out with the Gasol trade.

adidas11
02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I still remember the 13 year drought from 1987-2000 the lakers pretty much couldn't win shit. Look at the Knicks they are in the largest market and have been crap for more then 10 years and even now its not set in stone they are going to get Lebron. They pretty much have to hope the cavs don't win the title to get him. Look at Chicago they are the third biggest market in the US and they still haven't won a title in 12 years. On top of that LaKers gm Mitch Kupchek strikes me as a dumbass he pretty much lucked out with the Gasol trade.

The Lakers won the title in 1988, and made the finals in 1989 and 1991. The Lakers fall from grace coincided with Magic announcing that he was HIV positive. (effectively ending his career at the age of 32).

superjames1992
02-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Where did he say that the Spurs suck in that article?

Sean Cagney
02-09-2010, 10:21 PM
It's easy to zero in on Jefferson. The Spurs acquired him and his expensive contract (for this season and next) with the hope of adding firepower. So far all he's given them is 12.1 points and 3.6 rebounds per game -- numbers that aren't much better than Roger Mason's 11.8 ppg and 3.1 rpg last season.

GOOD LORD that part hurt there, infact Mase was better last year than RJ is this year and thats an understatement :( Atleast he won a few games for us and hit his threes, RJ misses shot after shot and hasn't came up big near the end of the game yet (Sides one shot).

Sobe_Kucks
02-10-2010, 01:04 PM

:tu Eggsakery... LA will never be in a rebuilding hell like a small market San Antonio team. Can we entice them with the Alamo and Henry's Puffy tacos??? C'com, the allure of Hollywood is much brighter than here in SA. Not to mention all of the air time and endorsments you can get being in LA. That's what makes the Championship years over here so much more special.

Allanon
02-10-2010, 01:50 PM
On the contrary, I think the media's respect for the Spurs is quite apparent.

This article should have come out 2 years ago; but nobody ever dared to count out the Spurs until today. No other team gets that kind of respect.

anonoftheinternets
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
On the contrary, I think the media's respect for the Spurs is quite apparent.

This article should have come out 2 years ago; but nobody ever dared to count out the Spurs until today. No other team gets that kind of respect.

+ 1 .... agreed..

anonoftheinternets
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
we do get our share of respect... i never understood the perceived lack of respect thing ...