PDA

View Full Version : ESPN again - K. Arnovitz -: there's a future in San Antonio

biba
02-09-2010, 03:39 PM
2. Hill Climbs Into Prominent Spurs Role

By Kevin Arnovitz
ESPN TrueHoop
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100208/daily-dime

HillLOS ANGELES -- It's all about positional flexibility these days. Coaches and general managers want players who can fill and defend multiple positions: centers who can launch and hit from beyond the arc, forwards who can use their length to torment speedy point guards, wings who can handle the ball like point guards.

Spurs guard George Hill is one of those guys. He's got a strong enough handle to play the point and a ridiculous 6-foot-9 wing span that allows him to cover just about any shooting guard in the league.

The 26th overall pick in the 2008 draft, Hill made a name for himself early in his rookie campaign last season. He got a start at point guard in only his fourth professional game after Tony Parker went down with an early-season ankle injury. Hill flourished as a starter on both ends of the floor and established himself as a rotation player, though he saw his minutes diminish as he struggled with his jumper and his playmaking down the stretch.

That decrease in playing time was enough to motivate the rookie to get into the gym in the offseason.

"Practicing my shot over the summer is really starting to pay off," Hill said.

That's for sure. Hill has raised his effective field goal percentage on jumpers from 35.6 percent last season to a healthy 44.6 percent in his second season. That improvement prompted Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to slot Hill into the starting lineup as the shooting guard alongside Parker.

"George Hill is just getting better and better as each week goes by," Popovich said. "I think he's the most improved player in the league this year."

When Parker needs a blow, Hill slides over to the point and runs the show for the second unit.

Which does position does Hill prefer?

"You're always going to like playing the 2 just because it's your natural position," Hill said. "But I embraced and loved learning the 1 position. It really doesn't matter for me."

It isn't just Hill's offensive flexibility that's compelled Popovich to hand his second-year guard 30 minutes per game since New Year's.

"Playing the defense that he does, the way he's starting to make decisions in pick-and-rolls -- that makes him a valuable player for us," Popovich said. "That's why I've got him starting at that 2 position."

Apart from the increased accuracy from the field, the biggest factor in Hill's growth this season is mental -- much of it courtesy of Popovich.

"Confidence," Hill said is the primary message drilled into him by his coach. "Play like you're the best player on the floor."

That's a tall task, given that Hill plays on a roster that includes Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Hill might not be the best player on the floor, but he has convinced his coach, teammates, opponents and himself that he can play alongside the legends -- and even make them better.

Kevin Arnovitz is a regular contributor to the Daily Dime.

wildbill2u
02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Too bad Pop hasn't been able to instill confidence and motivate Dice and Jefferson.

Blackjack
02-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Rough night for Georgie last night, but it's not like it shouldn't be expected; he's a young, developing player and there's bound to be ups and downs. But I don't like that, at least as it pertains to this team, that we get a completely different player depending on whether he's filling in for Tony or playing alongside of him.

George's aggression and confidence just goes to another level when his back's against the wall and there's no other option: give him the reins in a pinch and he thrives more often than not. But when he's playing alongside Tony, if he's not hitting his spot-ups, he becomes a bit of a wallflower in the offense (specifically in the half-court).

I'm sure it's nothing more than the learning process and he'll find the balance between the roles sooner or later, but it's safe to say it hasn't been found yet.

kace
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Rough night for Georgie last night, but it's not like it shouldn't be expected; he's a young, developing player and there's bound to be ups and downs. But I don't like that, at least as it pertains to this team, that we get a completely different player depending on whether he's filling in for Tony or playing alongside of him.

George's aggression and confidence just goes to another level when his back's against the wall and there's no other option: give him the reins in a pinch and he thrives more often than not. But when he's playing alongside Tony, if he's not hitting his spot-ups, he becomes a bit of a wallflower in the offense (specifically in the half-court).

I'm sure it's nothing more than the learning process and he'll find the balance between the roles sooner or later, but it's safe to say it hasn't been found yet.

as PG: 19.9 pts on 15.9 attempts per 48 min
as SG: 18.5 pts on 13.5 attempts per 48 min

i don't see any notable difference in his offensive production. if any, he's shooting better as a SG. that's one thing really good with him, to be able to produce as TP backup or alongside him.