PDA

View Full Version : How do you solve a problem like Jefferson?

lurker23
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
So, we're at the point where pretty much everyone has given up on RJ. Frankly, I can't blame us; he's lacked aggression, heart, defense, and a jump shot. However, the bottom line is that there doesn't seem to be a trade market out there for his contract, so the Spurs are stuck with him for now. The question is, is there anything the Spurs can do to wake up RJ? While that seems like a long-shot at this point, here are a few potential options:

1. Keep doing what you've been doing- This seems like a poor option, as it hasn't really worked. I only mention it because it's the option most likely to be employed by Pop, as they keep hammering that rock.

2. Bench RJ completely- Not a very likely option, but one I'm sure a few Spurs fans would like to see. The pros to doing this: at least he wouldn't be able to screw up the Spurs on-court chemistry, and if you bring him back after a while, maybe he shows a little heart to prove he belongs on the floor. Cons: Other than the fact that you're paying him $14+ million to do nothing, you have to ask yourself: as much as RJ has failed to live up to expectations, do the Spurs have anyone else on their roster capable of giving them the same output when subbed into his minutes?

3. Make RJ the first option on offense- Going the complete opposite direction, the Spurs could try to raise RJ's confidence by running more and more of the offense through him. Many have said he's incapable of playing offense without the ball, so give him the ball. While this obviously isn't a viable strategy for a championship team in the playoffs, especially one with Duncan/Parker/Ginobili, in the short run it could serve to get him into some sort of rhythm and get his head in a better place.

4. Put RJ on the court with fast-break personnel- This seemed like a great idea when I thought of it, as helping to get RJ running may boost the rest of his game. However, I then realized a couple things: a.) the Spurs don't have the personnel to do this, and b.) He already plays a lot with some of the personnel who fits the bill best. Of the Spurs who get regular minutes, Parker and Hill are probably most likely to run, followed by Ginobili, and RJ already gets plenty of minutes with these guys. Ideally, a fast-break lineup would include more youth, such as Hairston, Mahinmi, and Tyrus Thomas if the Spurs acquire him, but the odds of Pop playing any of these guys, much less all of them at once, is slim. Besides, a running team with this roster would probably mean more small ball, which would likely give up the points on the other end anyway.

Which of these options would you like to see employed? Do any of them have a chance of working? Also, are there any options not mentioned here that could help?

objective
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
bench him, start Hairston.

All you've got left is to hope that there is a spark of indignation, of anger, prideful fury, that would get set off if he's leapfrogged for a guy straight out of the d-league.

He either pouts or punishes other 2nd units.

If he pouts and decides to just pick up his checks, no big difference.

If he retaliates in a "I'll show them!" mentality maybe it can work.

But that would mean using a guy who outplayed Bogans in the pre-season . . . and swallowing the old Pop-pride.

While I've never been too high on Hairston's ceiling as an NBA player, I'm confident he won't be the soft, weak defensive and hustle player RJ has been.

Silver&Black Warrior
02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I have thought about the first 3 myself. I would most like to see #3 and followed by 2 if there are no results.

At this point what else is there to lose???

This way in the very least we can absolutely say we maximized our options and gave RJ every opportunity.

Good thinking.

neboat
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Have RJ come off the bench...Manu can run the floor with him and actually pass him the ball...and w/o TD getting in the way he'll have more room to operate in the half court

lurker23
02-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Have RJ come off the bench...Manu can run the floor with him and actually pass him the ball...and w/o TD getting in the way he'll have more room to operate in the half court

Certainly not a bad idea to try. If Manu and Jefferson are on the bench, who do you start next to Parker and Hill? The options right now seem to be Mason, Bogans, and Finley. (I know, Hairston, but until they call him up, it's not just unlikely, it's impossible.) I suppose Salmons could slide into that space if a Salmons/Thomas trade ever came to fruition.

murpjf88
02-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Put him in street clothes.

Cane
02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
His last two-three dunk attempts have been blocked. That, combined with Pop's yelling, media circus about him being a disappointment, and the inconsistent play of the Spurs have shot his confidence at an arguably career low.

He has already fully acknowledged that he's been a disappointment and in the back of my mind I have to wonder if his last-second-call-off-the-wedding drama in the summer has something to do with it too.

I like number four since his MAIN strength offensively is the transition game. However in order to get in transition the team has to play defense and make stops which the Spurs have failed to do consistently and likely won't be able to unless big changes are made.

He is a fourth option and at times looks like he's a fifth option since Hill's scoring has been a factor this season - so RJ gets limited touches but he still clinks a lot of wide open looks and then tries to force a shot later to make up for it.

The biggest thing imo is:

TEAM DEFENSE

Without that the Spurs aren't going to be able to utilize Jefferson's strength in the transition game.

BacktoBasics
02-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Maybe they should consider playing him in his proper position instead of trying to turn him into a 4.

neboat
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Certainly not a bad idea to try. If Manu and Jefferson are on the bench, who do you start next to Parker and Hill? The options right now seem to be Mason, Bogans, and Finley. (I know, Hairston, but until they call him up, it's not just unlikely, it's impossible.) I suppose Salmons could slide into that space if a Salmons/Thomas trade ever came to fruition.

I would start Mason...hopefully that'll get him going too. If Mason stays with the team, then we need his production as well.

It'd be nice if RJ acts like a team player and suggests this idea to pop, so there'll be no hard feelings

neboat
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
He has already fully acknowledged that he's been a disappointment and in the back of my mind I have to wonder if his last-second-call-off-the-wedding drama in the summer has something to do with it too.

I was going to bring this up. I am pretty sure he's been effected by it. Some folks will use the bball court as a refuge...but unfortunately for RJ, he couldn't come here and just play ball...he had a lot of adjustment to do

lurker23
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Maybe they should consider playing him in his proper position instead of trying to turn him into a 4.

I considered that one too, but it seemed even less likely than benching him altogether. :lol

However, that is a good point- playing "big ball" all the time and letting RJ be a 3 couldn't hurt. However, that's not just a change in what you're doing with RJ, it's a completely fundamental shift from how Pop has been coaching all season.

SCdac
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Run plays specifically for him to finish at the basket or get in the paint... whether it's coming off of multiple screens and slashing, posting up against smaller or slower players, whatever must be done. But we need to actively involve him in the offense, not necessarily wait till he involves himself. He doesn't have to be the first option to run a play for him. It shouldn't be "the Spurs vs. Jefferson" out there, which it's looking closer and closer to. Add in the fact that he's routinely playing out of position and it's been a recipe for failure. Letting a guy who's unexpectedly being turned into a spot-up shooter try and shoot his way out of it is lazy coaching IMO. Draw a friggin play for him, and literally try an execute till it happens. If it takes 4 tries, so be it, the inclusion of Jefferson into the playbook is too important to give up on.

Big Empty
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
have the shooting coach spend every day at allstar break with him

BacktoBasics
02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
How well do you guys think you would do if you went from a primary option 3 to a defensive option expected to play not just out of position but against players much larger and stronger on a completely different area of the court than ever before.

On top of that you are now not an isolation player but a jump shooter coming off of picks or camping out in the corners waiting for a kick out.

Flat out this is about Dick being used in all the wrong ways. Sure he could be better, sure there needs to be more effort, but this is night and day from everything this guys career has been up to this point.

This is a coaching problem first and foremost.

BacktoBasics
02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
have the shooting coach spend every day at allstar break with himMight as well send him to a big man camp since Pop decided that slashing and working off the dribble are out of the question.

BacktoBasics
02-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Run plays specifically for him to finish at the basket or get in the paint... whether it's coming off of multiple screens and slashing, posting up against smaller or slower players, whatever must be done. But we need to actively involve him in the offense, not necessarily wait till he involves himself. He doesn't have to be the first option to run a play for him. It shouldn't be "the Spurs vs. Jefferson" out there, which it's looking closer and closer to. Add in the fact that he's routinely playing out of position and it's been a recipe for failure. Letting a guy who's unexpectedly being turned into a spot-up shooter try and shoot his way out of it is lazy coaching IMO. Draw a friggin play for him, and literally try an execute till it happens. If it takes 4 tries, so be it, the inclusion of Jefferson into the playbook is too important to give up on.
Exactly.

MarCowMar
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I think two options

a) Simplify the offense and let the players run loose. (I think this was already tried to some degree but Tony didn't seem up to the task.)

b) Pop steps down and lets someone else try some different ideas with the lineups.

I just don't see how this lineup can be expected to run Pop's systems successfully. Maybe instead of trying to force the players to adapt we should have the coach adapt for a change.

z0sa
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
This is a coaching problem first and foremost.

TP calls lots of the plays as well. He needs to be making a concerted effort to involve RJ and he just hasn't done it consistently.

Muser
02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
TP calls lots of the plays as well. He needs to be making a concerted effort to involve RJ and he just hasn't done it consistently.

Then Jefferson should demand the ball.

oligarchy
02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Option 5. Tell Dick that (insert the player he should be guarding that night) called him a faggot.

If that doesn't get him riled up..

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I've been calling for more plays for Jefferson since the beginning of the season, but I've given up on that the last few weeks..they have been calling more plays for him, and it simply hasn't worked out..his usage % has went up by almost 3% since last month..he's getting looks..

Last night, he had MULTIPLE wide open mid-range jumpers, and he clanked them..Jefferson's game last year with Milwaukee was full of these types of plays..he's getting a lot of good looks, he isn't making them..

He's driving to the basket, but he can't finish anymore..

His confidence is shattered, which is very worrying..Pop is yelling at him, but he isn't responding..there isn't much else that can be done at this point IMO..

Orlando used an interesting approach with Carter..Vince was heavily struggling in January, shooting 28% from the field and having the worst stretch of his career..the Magic brought in Lawrence Frank(his former coach, RJ's as well) as a "consultant" and to be around VC and help him..this has produced great results, as Carter is having a great February so far, looking like the player that he was expected to be..he has his confidence back..

I don't think this approach would work with Jefferson, so I don't know what they should do with him..he clearly isn't responding to yelling or to softness from Pop..

I would bench him and play Hairston..if he doesn't respond to that, then it's hopeless..if a guy that is basically a rookie in Hairston can come in and take his job and RJ DOESN'T respond to that, then he's truly hopeless..this is the best option IMO..sometimes the best way to spark a player is to threaten his role..if Jefferson doesn't respond to that, then he's simply happy to have his $ and do nothing..