PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan called a team meeting?

phyzik
02-09-2010, 04:31 PM
My co-worker just came in and said he was listening to Ticket 760 and their "sources" said Tim Duncan had a team meeting and basically told the whole team get there shit together, its his team, and if they dont start playing some of them are not going to be there next year.

Anyone confirm this was at least on the radio?

mexicanjunior
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
My co-worker just came in and said he was listening to Ticket 760 and their "sources" said Tim Duncan had a team meeting and basically told the whole team get there shit together, its his team, and if they dont start playing some of them are not going to be there next year.

I guess the Spurs FO had to leak something to get people to still come to the ATT Center...

NRHector
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Anyone confirm this was at least on the radio?why wait until next year? they need to start playing now

objective
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Tim Duncan : "Some of you guys aren't going to be here next year!"

Ian and Mason look at each other, then back at Duncan: "We know. We know."

Matt Bonner: "Well . . . I'm getting a new contract! I'm not going anywhere!"

Michael Finley: "Me too!"

phyzik
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
why wait until next year? they need to start playing now

thats what he was saying, start playing now or they wont be on the team.

duncan228
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
He's done it before, I would hope he's done it this season.

Budkin
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
You know he's gotta be fucking pissed. How could you not be? How many amazing TD efforts have been completely wasted this season?

lefty
02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
"Hey guys, wanna come over to play Worlds of Warcraft ? "

alchemist
02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
He's done it before, I would hope he's done it this season.
Really? Never thought Tim had it in him to call out the team.

gatoloco
02-09-2010, 04:45 PM
so did TD veto a trade proposal or what?

Muser
02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Good, Duncan deserves the absolute best efforts from everyone.

ElNono
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I hope Pop was there too...

duncan228
02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Really? Never thought Tim had it in him to call out the team.

He has, and he's got it in him. He also does team only practices in August. He may not show it on the court a lot, (though he does a lot more than he used to), but he's actually quite vocal. He started to grow with it in '03, as Robinson was leaving.

From 'The Quiet Man,' Sports Illustrated, December 2003. The whole article is on the first page of the Duncan Forum. It's one of the best pieces done on him, it's worth reading if anyone hasn't seen it.

"Will he stand in front of you and say, 'This is my team?' Absolutely not," Amy says. "He's never going to put himself in a position where it's just about him. If it is, he's going to take a long, hard look at himself, because that's not the person he wants to be."

She's right on one count. Duncan isn't standing. No, he tilts his chair back and, face blank, quietly states what he has never been able to state before. "It is my team," he says. "It's got to be."

lurker23
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Tim: Okay let's get started. This is nothing personal: RJ, you're playing like shit, Finley: you're too old, retire. Tony, stop living the Hollywood life style, it's fucking us up. Manu, grow your damn hair out. McDyess, it's not your fault you play well and pop sits your, it's just that you're not David Robinson, or Robert Horry, or francisco or rasho. George, keep it covered up. Haislip... Where the hell did haislip go? You know what-fuck it. Matt, dunk more. Theo, go back in time to when you were not 63 and Pop will play you. Ian, yeah...

:lol :tu

blkroadrunners
02-09-2010, 04:53 PM

:lmao

Chillen
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Apparently Tim called the whole team in and said "were playing like crap right now" and this was all discussed over 12 tall glasses of 2% lowfat milk. lol.

ShoogarBear
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM

mookie2001
Oh god must yall keep giving duncan228 chances to drop knowledge, she'll probably get another spur now

TIMMYD!
I feel sorry for Tim.

This team is ruining his chances.

ShoogarBear
02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Where is The Onion when you need them?

mookie2001
02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
No... Umm he did it in 2003 actually, here's the link

5in10
02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Haislip... Where the hell did haislip go? You know what-fuck it.
HAHAHA That reminds me of a quote from semi pro.

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Duncan needs to grow some balls and take it to Gasol on the offensive end, instead of waiting until the game is out of reach..

He completely dominated a stronger and bigger Bynum in the 1st game, but he couldn't go at the soft Gasol a few times?..

benefactor
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Tim: Okay let's get started. This is nothing personal: RJ, you're playing like shit, Finley: you're too old, retire. Tony, stop living the Hollywood life style, it's fucking us up. Manu, grow your damn hair out. McDyess, it's not your fault you play well and pop sits your, it's just that you're not David Robinson, or Robert Horry, or francisco or rasho. George, keep it covered up. Haislip... Where the hell did haislip go? You know what-fuck it. Matt, dunk more. Theo, go back in time to when you were not 63 and Pop will play you. Ian, yeah...
:lol

FalleNxWiZarDx
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM

Obstructed_View
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
We'll know how much pull Timmy has with this team when we see the lineups and rotations against Denver.

portnoy1
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lmao:lmao:lmao

slick'81
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
i wonder if pop getting on tim during halftime was an effort to get tim to get more vocal with the team being pop obviously cant get thru anymore

Spursmania
02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Good-I hope he told certain players they sucked and to get the fuck off his team.

Stringer_Bell
02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Tim is going to lead a mutiny! WE SHALL OVERCOME!!!!!!!!!

Galileo
02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Go Tim!

TDomination
02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Can anyone confirm that this actually happened?? I hope so, we are running out of time.

ffadicted
02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Pop can't get through to this team, idk why people think Duncan can, no offense lol

phxspurfan
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Holy crap, this is serious.

http://storymode.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/my_serious_business.jpg

#2!
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Pop can't get through to this team, idk why people think Duncan can, no offense lol

Pop can't get through b/c he screams one thing at the team, and then plays small ball lineups that put the spurs at huge disadvantage on the very things he's preaching(defense and rebounding).

I think anyone would have trouble following someone like that.

nkdlunch
02-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Duncan: "A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! A man stands alone at the plate. This is the time for what? For individual achievement. There he stands alone. But in the field, what? Part of a team. Teamwork... Looks, throws, catches, hustles. Part of one big team. Bats himself the live-long day, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on. If his team don't field... what is he? You follow me? No one. Sunny day, the stands are full of fans. What does he have to say? I'm goin' out there for myself. But... I get nowhere unless the team wins.

Pop: Team! "

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/nkdlunch/stack/duncanbat.jpg

poop
02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Duncan: "A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! A man stands alone at the plate. This is the time for what? For individual achievement. There he stands alone. But in the field, what? Part of a team. Teamwork... Looks, throws, catches, hustles. Part of one big team. Bats himself the live-long day, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on. If his team don't field... what is he? You follow me? No one. Sunny day, the stands are full of fans. What does he have to say? I'm goin' out there for myself. But... I get nowhere unless the team wins.
Hoods: Team! "

bahahahahha brilliant!!!

TheChillFactor
02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Can he get pop to stop playong smallball???

galvatron3000
02-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Has this meeting been confirmed?

ploto
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
I am not sure how much getting mad is going to make some of them play any better. For some, they are only as good as they are.

Budkin
02-09-2010, 07:47 PM

http://skippy.net/images/roflcopter.gif

~Sweetmelody~
02-09-2010, 07:48 PM

JustinJDW
02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I hope this will help.

Bukefal
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM

:rollin

Avitus1
02-09-2010, 09:31 PM

:lol:lol:lol

dbreiden83080
02-09-2010, 09:37 PM
"Your killing me guys you know that?? Your God-Damn killing me"

Kool Bob Love
02-09-2010, 09:42 PM

http://i31.tinypic.com/fcl8w1.jpg

Mark in Austin
02-09-2010, 11:47 PM
edit: nevermind

ElNono
02-09-2010, 11:53 PM
I just talked to someone and there was both private player confrences and coaches confrences. These happen fairly often when the Spurs are not playing well.

Coach Pop: We're not playing well
Coach Bud: Yes Pop
Coach Newman: Yes Pop

Coach Pop: But we're going to keep on playing small ball until it works

Coach Pop: If any of you disagree, just say no

z0sa
02-09-2010, 11:55 PM
^lol

duhoh
02-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Coach Pop: We're not playing well

Coach Pop: But we're going to keep on playing small ball until it works

Coach Pop: If any of you disagree, just say no

werd.

angel_luv
02-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I think players should only get paid for the games they win. If player D ( or whomever) signed to make $ 100,000 per game then it is yours IF you win the game.

I bet you people would play more passionately if that were the case.

Oh and the same goes for Coaches. You only get paid when you win.

ShoogarBear
02-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I think players should only get paid for the games they win. If player D ( or whomever) signed to make $ 100,000 per game then it is yours IF you win the game.

So you want Donald Sterling to make even more money?

How about fans only pay for the ticket and concessions if the team wins then?

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-10-2010, 01:06 PM

I love it! I'd laugh my head off at sight of a player draining a dramatic buzzer beater and getting showered with boos and suddenly expensive nachos.

angel_luv
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM

No because that is no incentive for the players. It will only really hurt them to lose if it comes out of their own pockets.

If I could, I would change the NBA salaries this way.

(And I know this will never happen, so just indulge me...)

Every player would receive a predetermined base yearly salary of no more than 1 million dollars.

That salary would be all that is guaranteed. And everyone would have to get a new contract every year.

In addition to the yearly salary, each player would be eligible for a Winning Bonus which he would receive every game won.
If the team loses, the player receives nothing extra.

The bonus would be a % of a player's salary and would be in his contract, determined by what skill level/ value a player has. The player could sit down and negotiate this with the powers that be when his contract is drawn up.

There would be four categories of winning bonuses-

Star Player (s) - 16% bonus for wins ( So Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant)
Starters- 9%
Back ups- 5%
3rd String- 1%

Because new contracts would be drawn up every year a player who was a starter but played badly could be demoted to financial status of a back up or third string.

Also someone who started as a third string could play his way up to more significant role with the team, therefore increasing his salary.

I think salaries should be much more incentive based than they are guaranteed. I think football is more so that way.

angel_luv
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
My percentages are too high, I am sure.

I was just trying to make a scale to illustrate what I mean.

ffadicted
02-10-2010, 01:52 PM

So much fail compacted into one post

phxspurfan
02-11-2010, 02:46 PM

+1

This would make the NBA talent disparity very very large, like college football. Players will flock to the team with the best existing talent level and coaching, and the small markets or upstart teams would be at not only a talent/recruiting, but now also an economic disadvantage.

Small market teams like the Spurs only have so much ROI to justify paying star players. Way to propose a Celtics-Lakers finals every year.

I. Hustle
02-11-2010, 03:09 PM

+1

This would make the NBA talent disparity very very large, like college football. Players will flock to the team with the best existing talent level and coaching, and the small markets or upstart teams would be at not only a talent/recruiting, but now also an economic disadvantage.

Small market teams like the Spurs only have so much ROI to justify paying star players. Way to propose a Celtics-Lakers finals every year.

Hey leave AL alone. She's trying, you sonsuvbitches!

angel_luv
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey leave AL alone. She's trying, you sonsuvbitches!

aw. ty I Hustle.

The guys are right in that my first post by itself seems extremely crazy.

But I do wish there was a way that NBA players could get a modest base salary to play and then have opportunity to make bigger bucks by performing well.

I don't like how players play with more passion during contract years.
They ought to be motivated to succeed like that all the time.

And money motivates people.

scottspurs
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think anybody can question Tim's leadership.

We'll see how they play tonight. If they don't play with some fire maybe a trade really is needed because if your not going to listen to Tim Duncan then you probably shouldn't be on the Spurs.

SpurNation
02-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I understand what angel luv is eluding to. And though the premise might seem out of sorts...it's not so out of the ordinary.

Players would receive a decent base salary. Players that provide X amount of contribution to a team's winning percentage would receive a bonus for the season. Players on a team in the playoffs receive X amount of bonus while in the playoffs. Players on the championship team get an extra bonus.

What ever the numbers add up to would be fair compensation for a job well done. Players who get injured at least get compensation to survive while healing and doesn't place financial strain on a team having to pay a guaranteed bloated contract while suffering financial loss from depleted sales and/or attendance.

Trading or team options to luring talent would be kept competitive as long as bonus percentages given are equaled to the entire active roster on the team.

Base salary would be determined by years in the league and performance ratings each and every year in the league.

But other than understanding where angel luv is coming from...I also know it would never happen.

angel_luv
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
I understand what angel luv is eluding to. And though the premise might seem out of sorts...it's not so out of the ordinary.

Players would receive a decent base salary. Players that provide X amount of contribution to a team's winning percentage would receive a bonus for the season. Players on a team in the playoffs receive X amount of bonus while in the playoffs. Players on the championship team get an extra bonus.

What ever the numbers add up to would be fair compensation for a job well done. Players who get injured at least get compensation to survive while healing and doesn't place financial strain on a team having to pay a guaranteed bloated contract while suffering financial loss from depleted sales and/or attendance.

Trading or team options to luring talent would be kept competitive as long as bonus percentages given are equaled to the entire active roster on the team.

Base salary would be determined by years in the league and performance ratings each and every year in the league.

But other than understanding where angel luv is coming from...I also know it would never happen.

Thank you. You explained what I was thinking way better than I ever could.

I know it won't happen either.

It bugs me how professional sports players can underperform and still bank big bucks, while the rest of us make much less and would surely get fired for repeated poor job performance.
So the other day I let myself imagine I had the power to do something about it.
It was actually quite stress relieving.

I wish there was a computer game where you could be a commissioner and create a NBA that followed your rules.

Maybe there is.

SpurNation
02-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Thank you. You explained what I was thinking way better than I ever could.

I know it won't happen either.

It bugs me how professional sports players can underperform and still bank big bucks, while the rest of us make much less and would surely get fired for repeated poor job performance.
So the other day I let myself imagine I had the power to do something about it.
It was actually quite stress relieving.

I wish there was a computer game where you could be a commissioner and create a NBA that followed your rules.

Maybe there is.

Thanks angel luv. I often have to think of these things since I try to be fair to the people I employ while keeping what they do for my company on a compensation level that is fair to their efforts.

And though on a much less scale than big business like the NBA...it seems to work for my business.

Sisk
02-11-2010, 05:04 PM

hahaha i hope this is exactly as the meeting went

and manu does need his damn hair back...

Kamnik
02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
About fucking time!

Guys need to sack up and play like crazy! I just see scared looks in their eyes this year... bring in Nocioni!

Kamnik
02-11-2010, 05:51 PM
This team really really lacks toughness... there is some serious need to drop some guys on the floor and send a message. Physichal tougness will also help the mental tougness which they lack the most.

The_Worlds_finest
02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
For some reason I am thinking of this song when it comes to Dick Jefferson and the Spurs....

Here we stand
World's apart, hearts broken in two
Sleepless nights
Losing ground
I'm reaching for you

Feelin' that it's gone
Can change your mind
If we can't go on
To survive the tide love divides

*Someday love will find you
Break those chains that bind you
One night will remind you
How we touched and went our separate ways
If he ever hurts you
True love won't desert you
You know I still love you
Though we touched and went our separate ways

Troubled times
Caught between confusion and pain
Distant eyes
Promises we made were in vain

If you must go, I wish you love
You'll never walk alone
Take care my love
Miss you love

(*chorus*)

I still love you girl
I really love you girl
And if he ever hurts you
True love won't desert you
No....no...

ShoogarBear
02-11-2010, 07:39 PM

The situations are not even comparable.

-Pro athletes are in the top 0.001% of what they do, and can't be easily replaced. Almost none of "the rest of us" are as good at what we do as pro athletes are at what they do, and they can always pick up somebody else to do our job without missing much of a beat.

-If you find a better job, you can just leave and pursue another job in the free market. Pro athletes are tied down by a contract in a near-monopolistic economic structure. If you want them to be like "the rest of us", then they should be able to quit and play for another team when they don't like their current one.

-Pro athletes have a much shorter career span. Three years is nothing to our careers, it may be 50% of theirs.

Would you take a job where you got a baseline low salary, and then every week the company compared their bottom line to their competitors, and if they didn't make more than their competitors, you didn't get any more money? That's exactly what you proposed, and the end result is that everybody would only want to work for the biggest companies.

Back in the 70s the Spurs used to structure contracts so that players would get a bonus for every win after a certain number (I think it was 46 or 48). That had some merit to it, but I think the NBA eventually allowed those clauses.

Sorry to unload like this, but it's always a pet peeve of mine when people try to compare their jobs to that of a pro athlete.

TJastal
02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I love it! I'd laugh my head off at sight of a player draining a dramatic buzzer beater and getting showered with boos and suddenly expensive nachos.

ploto
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM

They have a union and a contract. Try to get anyone fired for poor performance who has both of those. It is not just athletes. Wait until your kid gets a bad teacher.

timtonymanu
02-11-2010, 08:02 PM

:lol gold

Blackjack
02-11-2010, 08:41 PM

I think it's pretty safe to assume your buddy caught the tail-end of a rant/conversation that's become the norm for a certain blowhard that does his show around that time.

Let me see if I can channel Taylor. . .

(*clears throat*) Something to the effect of: This just ain't going great. This teams old, they're busted. . . they've got to make a move. Right?

I know you guy's get sick of me talking about Amar'e, but I'm telling you. . . I've always believed Amar'e should be KG. And I know the knock on him is that he doesn't play any D but, hell. . . they can't stop anybody. Might as well go out there and get a guy who's going to get you 20 and 10. I mean, you got to do something, right? I don't know, man. . . Good Lord, Jim Bob! Are you sure she's of age? Good God almighty. . .

I don't know, man, but someone needs to do something. Hell, Tim needs to be dog-cussin' these sumbitches. Ya know, I really want to hear from some kind of source that Tim's called some kind of team meeting and just ripped them a new one. I don't know, man. . . These goings on are depressing; how 'bout dem Cowboys?!?

SpurNation
02-11-2010, 08:54 PM
The situations are not even comparable.

-Pro athletes are in the top 0.001% of what they do, and can't be easily replaced. Almost none of "the rest of us" are as good at what we do as pro athletes are at what they do, and they can always pick up somebody else to do our job without missing much of a beat.

-If you find a better job, you can just leave and pursue another job in the free market. Pro athletes are tied down by a contract in a near-monopolistic economic structure. If you want them to be like "the rest of us", then they should be able to quit and play for another team when they don't like their current one.

-Pro athletes have a much shorter career span. Three years is nothing to our careers, it may be 50% of theirs.

Would you take a job where you got a baseline low salary, and then every week the company compared their bottom line to their competitors, and if they didn't make more than their competitors, you didn't get any more money? That's exactly what you proposed, and the end result is that everybody would only want to work for the biggest companies.

Back in the 70s the Spurs used to structure contracts so that players would get a bonus for every win after a certain number (I think it was 46 or 48). That had some merit to it, but I think the NBA eventually allowed those clauses.

Sorry to unload like this, but it's always a pet peeve of mine when people try to compare their jobs to that of a pro athlete.

So many flaws to this analogy compared to what was being stated I can't even begin to start.

In fact if I addressed every quote it would probably take up to 2 pages just to rebute.

Bottomline...these players get paid well. Deservedly so. I won't argue that.

But being paid well compared to fiscal rape is a different story. The current and past salary structure these player's receive is one of the main reasons for the fiscal problems that exist today in professional sports.

And it's hard for me to feel sorry for someone's inability to manage a measily 2 million dollars a year into something they could live off of for the rest of their lives if all they could manage to professionally play is one year. They do have brains. They could invest...further their education...take the education some of them receive and apply it to continuing their lives...become a multitude of other things and benefit from those other things after life of professional sports is done. So it's not like playing professional sports is the only thing they can do to support themselves. In fact...playing professional sports probably helps to catepult other endeavors of fiscal gain that many outside that realm would ever have a chance to benefit from just because they were professional athletes.

But hey...it is the way it is. And that's the way it works.

But I call BS to that analogy of why it should work that way.

Sorry to unload that way but it's always been a pet peeve of mine when others try to justify poor rich souls. :toast

sammy
02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Tim Duncan : "Some of you guys aren't going to be here next year!"

Ian and Mason look at each other, then back at Duncan: "We know. We know."

Matt Bonner: "Well . . . I'm getting a new contract! I'm not going anywhere!"

Michael Finley: "Me too!"

Damn, we are screwed if those two worthless wonders get a new contract LOL!

MannyIsGod
02-11-2010, 09:08 PM
So many flaws to this analogy compared to what was being stated I can't even begin to start.

In fact if I addressed every quote it would probably take up to 2 pages just to rebute.

But being paid well compared to fiscal rape is a different story. The current and past salary structure these player's receive is one of the main reasons for the fiscal problems that exist today in professional sports.

And it's hard for me to feel sorry for someone's inability to manage a measily 2 million dollars a year into something they could live off of for the rest of their lives if all they could manage to professionally play is one year. They do have brains. They could invest...further their education...take the education some of them receive and apply it to continuing their lives...become a multitude of other things and benefit from those other things after life of professional sports is done. So it's not like playing professional sports is the only thing they can do to support themselves. In fact...playing professional sports probably helps to catepult other endeavors of fiscal gain that many outside that realm would ever have a chance to benefit from just because they were professional athletes.

Sorry to unload that way but it's always been a pet peeve of mine when others try to justify poor rich souls. :toast

Reading comprehension you lack it. Projection, you have it down. You missed what he was saying and you substituted in its place what you hate hearing.

MannyIsGod
02-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Oh and it wasn't an analogy.

ShoogarBear
02-11-2010, 09:37 PM

So instead you addressed none of them and spewed on a bunch of unrelated topics gnawing away at you.

I guess we should find that guy holding the gun to the owners' heads.

Here's a primer: the discussion was paying for performance, and whether pro athletes should get paid like "real people" do. My points were: 1) it doesn't make sense to pay players like that, and 2) the system proposed (paying players based on team wins) has NO relationship to how "real people" get paid.

I'm sorry you're so bitter about that. Sounds like a personal problem, has nothing to do with the topic.

Again, nothing to do with the point, but it's interesting you reserve all your venom for the players and not the owners.

jdev82
02-12-2010, 12:34 AM
For some reason I am thinking of this song when it comes to Dick Jefferson and the Spurs....

Here we stand
World's apart, hearts broken in two
Sleepless nights
Losing ground
I'm reaching for you

Feelin' that it's gone
Can change your mind
If we can't go on
To survive the tide love divides

*Someday love will find you
Break those chains that bind you
One night will remind you