PDA

View Full Version : Let’s compare the Spurs and the Lakers 3 years ago

carib
02-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Take away the Lakers top 3 players and the Lakers are still a better team than the Spurs. La build a better team than the Spurs in the last 3 years, both teams were on the same level 3 years ago, and look at the direction both teams took with their bench, role players and additional pick ups.

carib
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Its just some thing about the quality of players LA picks up and the performance and contribution they are getting from them.

Ron VS R.J

alchemist
02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Take away the Lakers top 3 players and the Lakers are still a better team than the Spurs. La build a better team than the Spurs in the last 3 years, both teams were on the same level 3 years ago, and look at the direction both teams took with their bench, role players and additional pick ups.
GTFOH :wakeup

Sean Cagney
02-10-2010, 02:32 PM

LMFAO, take away Gasol and Kobe and they are not better than us :lol. You go by one game? Then what about the one where Gasol was out and we win by 20? Thats one player and the Spurs were a better team.

I stopped reading at the first sentence, that there was enough.

portnoy1
02-10-2010, 02:45 PM
The lakers were never that good until they got Gasol. The lakers were where the spurs are now. They had Kobe and few pieces around him like Bynum and Odom. Only when they got Gasol did they start beating down people, and even then they were called soft. The Spurs of 3 years ago were not soft and would execute to the T in crunchtime and had role players that werent big names (Bowen/Oberto/Barry/Horry screw Finley) that knew their roles and maintained the team chemistry and solid defense. Now the spurs have somewhat a soft reputation and no mental toughness or defense. RJ/Bogans/Bonner/ and yes Finley are not mentally tough and their defense ( I'll leave out Bogans on this one) is Horrendous.

timvp
02-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Too bad George Gervin wasn't the GM of the Grizzlies.

doobs
02-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Remind me what happened in the 2006-2007 NBA season?

scottspurs
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Take away the Gasol trade and Kobe is no longer a Laker. If that trade would not of happened Kobe would of surely left and they would of replaced him with someone like Baron Davis. They would probably be a mess right now.

hsxvvd
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Old role players v. young role players

Would we have won the championship in 07' with Farmar, Bynum and the Machine, rather than Bowen, Oberto and Barry? Unlikely.

ShoogarBear
02-10-2010, 03:30 PM
The Lakers are permanently able to be $10-30 million above the Spurs payroll. They should always have more talent than the Spurs.

When the Spurs won championships, it wasn't about the raw talent in players 5-12 or the overall payroll. Whether than can continue to be the case remains to be seen, but I suspect that formula will still be able to work under the new CBA.

elbamba
02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
LA was so good that Kobe asked to be traded after that season.

MaNu4Tres
02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Too bad George Gervin wasn't the GM of the Grizzlies.

:lol

timtonymanu
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
February 2007:

Lakers had Kobe, Odom, Bynum, Kwame, Smush, Vlad, Turiaf, Sasha, Luke, Farmar, Mo Evans, Brian Cook, and McKie.

Spurs had Tim, Tony, Manu, Bruce, Rob, Brent, Oberto, Finley, Elson, Udrih, Bonner, Vaughn, Butler, and Williams/Ely?

Take away the big 3 of both teams. Spurs would win. They had the experience to win plus Kwame and Smush were some of the worst Lakers ever.

5in10
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
The lakers are better than us because of the gasol trade rape. End of discussion.

poop
02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
the gasol travesty put them on another level obviously, but they honestly did a FAR better job of building and developing a team than the spurs did the last 3 years.

like i said, if Pop was in charge of that team Bynum would be where mahinmi is now (kept around for years, but never developed or played), radmonovich would stillbe theregetting lots of minutes Only because he 'spread the floor' (like bonner), Walton would be Pops favorite getting 30 min a game (finley), brown would be permanently d-leagued (malik) etc...

Sean Cagney
02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
the gasol travesty put them on another level obviously, but they honestly did a FAR better job of building and developing a team than the spurs did the last 3 years.

like i said, if Pop was in charge of that team Bynum would be where mahinmi is now (kept around for years, but never developed or played), radmonovich would stillbe theregetting lots of minutes Only because he 'spread the floor' (like bonner), Walton would be Pops favorite getting 30 min a game (finley), brown would be permanently d-leagued (malik) etc...

:wow:rollin:rollin Good post man, I thought of that the other night. Don't forget Fisher would be the man getting tons of minutes because he is old! He would also play the 2 at times!