PDA

View Full Version : Yo Denver peeps

I. Hustle
02-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I am going there at the end of the month. What are some cool places to go check out and cool shit to do? Stay in the city or outside of the city?

IronMexican
02-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Rock and roll hall of fame.

to21
02-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Colfax

johnsmith
02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Go to an Avs game at the Pepsi Center.......that's always fun.......then hit up Blake Street for the evening.

If the weather is nice, head to the mountains, Pikes Peak in the Springs is about an hour away but worth the trip if the weather is good.....you can take a train up to the top (14,000+ feet).

Drink heavily, there are plenty of places to do so.

robino2001
02-10-2010, 03:42 PM
16th street is/was pretty touristy but there were some good restaurants/breweries on it when we visited... plus a free bus to get around was cool.

rAm
02-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Come up to Boulder and i'll show you a good time, if you know what I mean *wink* *wink*

JudynTX
02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I hated Denver when I visited. :td

Snobs!

leemajors
02-10-2010, 03:54 PM
I thought Denver was awesome both times I went to GABF. Friendly people all over. Rock Bottom has an awesome beer selection, and Zaidy's Deli is amazing - but only the one in Cherry Creek. Cheeky Monk is also a nice beer bar with plenty of Belgian stuff, the Thin Man is also good. Only thing that sucks is the airport is way outside of town.

holcs50
02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I hated Denver when I visited. :td

Snobs!

Honestly me too. And I had this whole different feeling of how it was going to be. The best thing about denver is its about 2 hours away and leads you to the best skiing/snowboarding places in the US. Vails backbowls are simply amazing. Powder!

JudynTX
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Honestly me too. And I had this whole different feeling of how it was going to be. The best thing about denver is its about 2 hours away and leads you to the best skiing/snowboarding places in the US. Vails backbowls are simply amazing. Powder!

Don't get me wrong, the mountain scenery is beautiful. But the overall impression I got was how rude everyone was. I expected that Texas hospitality, ya know.

RGMCSE
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
I spent a week in downtown Denver. I stayed at the Hyatt right next to the outdoor strip mall thing. I spent all my time enjoying all the little cafe's. Which are great. There's this place in SOHO where they make the best cakes and all kinds of goodies. There's an art gallery next to it and it's nice spectating. Everyone I met or ran into was very nice to me. Luckily for me and the wife we were there when Taste of Colorado was on. Lots of beer and Jazz. This was in September and the Weather was so freaking crisp! The sun would burn you but the air was clean and cool. Other than the many weirdo's and homeless people, the visit was awesome. I would go again!

Rob

johnsmith
02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Don't get me wrong, the mountain scenery is beautiful. But the overall impression I got was how rude everyone was. I expected that Texas hospitality, ya know.

It's because we don't like Texans.......we are nice to everyone else.

I. Hustle
02-11-2010, 10:27 AM

That sucks. i was looking forward to going.

leemajors
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
No one was rude to me in Denver, even while wearing a Tony Parker shirt.

CuckingFunt
02-11-2010, 12:37 PM
The week I spent in Denver was very pleasant, and everyone I encountered was lovely.

Get coffee at Dazbog. It's yummy.

Lots of yummy in Denver, now that I think about it. Great Italian at Pagliacci's, Pasquini's Pizzeria, and yummy burgers at the Handlebar Grill. There was a place I went and had a really good elk burger, but I can't remember the name or where it was.

And don't forget:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4066/cartmancasabonita.jpg

balli
02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Topeka West.

RandomGuy
02-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I am going there at the end of the month. What are some cool places to go check out and cool shit to do? Stay in the city or outside of the city?

Well Colorado is the newest entrant in the Medical Marijuana (http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=colorado+medical+marijuana&fb=1&gl=us&hq=medical+marijuana&hnear=colorado&view=text&ei=GUN0S4iiCIfKM5HehO8L&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQtQMwAA)movement.

Take some time out to visit a doctor first... heh.

(gets out of mouses way to avoid being run over)

RandomGuy
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
There is always the Tattered Cover (http://www.tatteredcover.com/)used book store. Wonderful place.

JudynTX
02-12-2010, 09:22 AM

You see, Denver sucks even more than I thought.

TheTruth
02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Dener is awesome. I've visted every year for the past decade.

Go to Golden and Idaho Springs. Beautiful little foothill towns with great restaurants. Beajous in Idaho has great pizza.

16th street mall is pretty fun. Lots of shops and places to eat. Lots of bums too.

LoDo near Coors Field is AWESOME! Eat at Fado's (sp?) and then go to Sing Sing. It's a fun night.

Definitely have to drive into the mountains. Drive towards Blackhawk and just keep going. The drive is awesome when the weather is nice.

AVS GAME. That place gets nuts when the Avs play. It's a hell of a good time, and I hate hockey.

TheTruth
02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh, and visit as many of their Microbreweries as possible. They make some of the best beers in America.

robino2001
02-12-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS GAME. That place gets nuts when the Avs play. It's a hell of a good time, and I hate hockey.

Avs game is why I went to Denver a couple of years ago... I'm a big Avs fan... but the crowds are atrocious this year. The team is fantastic but no one is going. Game Wednesday night put them into first place but they only had ~11k at the game. It's been quite obvious on tv that there is little energy in that place now, even with a young exciting team.

That being said - Avs tickets are abundant and cheap :lol

I. Hustle
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Avs game is why I went to Denver a couple of years ago... I'm a big Avs fan... but the crowds are atrocious this year. The team is fantastic but no one is going. Game Wednesday night put them into first place but they only had ~11k at the game. It's been quite obvious on tv that there is little energy in that place now, even with a young exciting team.

That being said - Avs tickets are abundant and cheap :lol

Are there any games the 25th - 27th?

robino2001
02-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Are there any games the 25th - 27th?

I guess I could have paid attention to when you're going... oops. They'll be on the olympic break then. First game after the break is on the 1st though, vs Detroit. That would probably be one of the few games the Pepsi Center will be rockin for, even though the Red Wings are struggling.

I'd recommend a Denver U hockey game... they're #2 in the country right now but they'll be out of town that weekend.

***Edit - actually, Colorado College (in Col Springs) is playing North Dakota at home that weekend... #9 vs #11... not a bad matchup. Never been there for a game though. Bit of a ways to travel, too.

I. Hustle
02-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Well eff that idea then :lol

Oh well. I was hoping the Spurs played in Denver then so I could go in my Manu jersey.

TheTruth
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Well eff that idea then :lol

Oh well. I was hoping the Spurs played in Denver then so I could go in my Manu jersey.

Going to a game in Denver in a Spurs' jersey is a BAAD idea. They hate us something awful up there.

mrsmaalox
02-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Denver is a nice starting point for visiting Colorado but there are many, many better places to stay. And get ready to die of boredom if you are girl watching unless you really LOVE the braided hair, down vest, hiking boot look. :sleep

I. Hustle
02-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Denver is a nice starting point for visiting Colorado but there are many, many better places to stay. And get ready to die of boredom if you are girl watching unless you really LOVE the braided hair, down vest, hiking boot look. :sleep

Actually I got us a plce in Keystone. We are flying into Denver and driving to Keystone. We aren't able to check in until a few hours after we land so I thought a nice drive wouldn't hurt.

johnsmith
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM

You call it the 'braided hair, down vest, hiking boot look'......I call it, the 'not grossly obese Texan look'.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
So yeah Keystone it is. Does the beer come through the tap in the kitchen?

johnsmith
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
So yeah Keystone it is. Does the beer come through the tap in the kitchen?

As long as the weather is good, the drive will be worth it.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
As long as the weather is good, the drive will be worth it.

That is what I was looking forward to. It's a bit out of the way but we can't check into our place until hours after we get there anyway so I figured we could just take our time and enjoy the scenery.

balli
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
You call it the 'braided hair, down vest, hiking boot look'......I call it, the 'not grossly obese Texan look'.

lmao :tu

I. Hustle
02-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Colorado was nice. On our way back in the morning though. I stayed in Keystone and you would think Keystone beer would be super cheap here but it's cheaper in SA.

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Another thing. How the hell do you people drive up and down mountains all the time?! Especially when it is snowing. What the hell do all the different grades mean?

balli
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Another thing. How the hell do you people drive up and down mountains all the time?! Especially when it is snowing. What the hell do all the different grades mean?
With years of practice and still white knuckles.

But mountain driving is easy compared to windy, high-plains driving. When the snow's blowing, I'll take 1-70 in mountainous Colorado, over 1-80 in flat, windy southern Wyoming any day of the week.

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
With years of practice and still white knuckles.

But mountain driving is easy compared to windy, high-plains driving. When the snow's blowing, I'll take 1-70 in mountainous Colorado, over 1-80 in flat, windy southern Wyoming any day of the week.

I was on I-70 for most of my time there. We stayed just outside of Dillon. I am telling you, going from never having really seen snow before to driving on a completely white road with snow coming in from all angles is not fun.
Then driving down a mountain where i was going 70 MPH without even touching the gas! That is some scary ass shit!

balli
03-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Then driving down a mountain where i was going 70 MPH without even touching the gas! That is some scary ass shit!
I'd imagine even more so for the average Texan, but driving in the mountains in a blizzard really is terrifying. Like so scary that you lose your sense of time and are so frazzled when you finally get out of the car that you can barely stand up. It's telling that the only time I smoke cigs is when I'm driving in shit poor winter conditions.

What I don't get is I've been on roads before where I was so scared I'd just about pissed myself and I'll see truckers who are driving 18 wheelers like they're on the autobahn or something. I give those dudes major props, they laugh off the conditions that chill my soul.

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
That would be enough to drive me to smoke. so what does grade 6% mean anyway. I figure it has to do with how steep it is.
AND THAT RUNAWAY TRUCK ROAD?! WTF??!!

Other than that is was a very nice ride though.

rAm
03-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I was on I-70 for most of my time there. We stayed just outside of Dillon. I am telling you, going from never having really seen snow before to driving on a completely white road with snow coming in from all angles is not fun.

Drove back to Boulder from Durango last night in that storm, was crazy there for a sec w/ like 10 feet of visibility. I was going through the passes at like 30 mph haha... going down I-70 in a blizzard at 70 MPH is not a good idea.

balli
03-01-2010, 11:56 AM
That would be enough to drive me to smoke. so what does grade 6% mean anyway. I figure it has to do with how steep it is.
AND THAT RUNAWAY TRUCK ROAD?! WTF??!!
Those grades are trucker shit. They don't correspond to angle, but slope, I think. It's helpful for the average motorist to know the extent that they're angled downwards, but I think those signs are designed for truckers so they know which gear to downshift to.

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Drove back to Boulder from Durango last night in that storm, was crazy there for a sec w/ like 10 feet of visibility. I was going through the passes at like 30 mph haha... going down I-70 in a blizzard at 70 MPH is not a good idea.

Hell no. What the hell happened? Saturday was beautiful. Anyone here who says it snowed here in SA or Austin or whatever knows jack shit about snow. I was up to my knees in that stuff. Here I thought it was going to be like in the movies where you make snowballs and snowmen but that shit doesn't stay together. It just falls apart in your hands.
The kids had a blast though. My little one couldn't walk in it so she stayed on the sidewalk and "threw" snow at us.

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Those grades are trucker shit. They don't correspond to angle, but slope, I think. It's helpful for the average motorist to know the extent that they're angled downwards, but I think those signs are designed for truckers so they know which gear to downshift to.

Oh ok. All I know is that I have never driven with my foot on the brake more than on the gas before. I bet you guys make good gas mileage. If I would have known it was going to be like that I would have gone in neutral all the way. lol

rAm
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Hell no. What the hell happened? Saturday was beautiful. Anyone here who says it snowed here in SA or Austin or whatever knows jack shit about snow. I was up to my knees in that stuff. Here I thought it was going to be like in the movies where you make snowballs and snowmen but that shit doesn't stay together. It just falls apart in your hands.
The kids had a blast though. My little one couldn't walk in it so she stayed on the sidewalk and "threw" snow at us.

Yea well it doesn't snow that bad all the time, big storm came through and we were both up in altitude which intensifies it a lot. All the "low lying" areas barely got any snow.

Fresh snow is harder to pack : D give it a day or so and you will have iceballs

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Yea well it doesn't snow that bad all the time, big storm came through and we were both up in altitude which intensifies it a lot. All the "low lying" areas barely got any snow.

Fresh snow is harder to pack : D give it a day or so and you will have iceballs

The guide on the sleigh ride we went one told us the elevation of where we were but it meant nothing to me. I didn't know what to compare it to. I am already back in SA so I never got to make any snowmen :ihit but we bought an inflateable trashcan lid with handles and flew down a hill. That was fun.

JudynTX
03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Yo, welcome back. Were the people rude in Denver? :wakeup

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Yo, welcome back. Were the people rude in Denver? :wakeup

Didn't deal with any Denver peeps other than the airport. They were too nice there.

We stayed in a resort area and all of the people we talked to there were nice. I wore Spurs gear (of course) and ran into a bunch of people from SA. I wanted to ask what the hell they were doing there because I was reppin SA this week.

mrsmaalox
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Didn't deal with any Denver peeps other than the airport. They were too nice there.

We stayed in a resort area and all of the people we talked to there were nice. I wore Spurs gear (of course) and ran into a bunch of people from SA. I wanted to ask what the hell they were doing there because I was reppin SA this week.

Bastards! Trying to steal your thunder :nope

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Bastards! Trying to steal your thunder :nope

No shit! Also if I lived in Keystone I would be pissed at them charging me so much for beer that is named after the place. Next time I go though I am definately taking some brewery tours. They have a brewery there that I could have gone to but didn't called the Dillon Dam Brewery. It's a brewery with a restaurant in it.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM
:lmao thunder

I. Hustle
03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
:lmao thunder

What does that mean?