PDA

View Full Version : How on Earth did We Miss Getting Stephen Jackson?

ezau
02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
We moved heaven and earth just to get Dick so he can make this team better. Why didn't we get Jackson, who's making around 7.6 million this year? Somebody needs to explain this

greyforest
02-10-2010, 10:27 PM
sjax has controversy which spurs fo hates

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Jackson asked for a trade about a week or 2 later IIRC..

I would be surprised if the Spurs wouldn't have been interested had Jax asked for a trade about a week earlier, especially since Pop gave Larry Brown a good review of Jackson..he would have been cheaper, he's better on both ends and he already has chemistry with Pop/Duncan/Tony/Manu..

I love Jax, but he wouldn't have made us a contender anyways..we have bigger problems, even though he would have been a massive upgrade over Jefferson..the positive is that RJ has a huge expiring contract that the Spurs will be able to move in the Summer, so we could potentially get a great asset in return..

Speaking of former Spurs, Nazi with a 20/20 game tonight LOL..

SpursRulez4eVeR
02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
sjax + nazr = :lobt2:

DesignatedT
02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
We moved heaven and earth just to get Dick so he can make this team better. Why didn't we get Jackson, who's making around 7.6 million this year? Somebody needs to explain this

sjax would have been nice

Dro210
02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I proposed a trade in the other thread like that...

I'd love this trade too.....

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yzozn9s

Rather have Augustine than Law, but I think Law makes it more realistic, and he wouldn't be bad either.

No way Charlotte would do it with as good as they're playing, but it would create a lot of cap space for 'em if not

where's the little icon for drooling?

blkroadrunners
02-10-2010, 10:43 PM

alchemist
02-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Can the man guard 7 footers?

ElNono
02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I don't think SJax was on the block when we acquired RJ

MI21
02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Can the man guard 7 footers?

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/0908/Bilder/stephen-jackson-dirk-nowitzki-514.jpg

:king

alchemist
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
:king
:lol +1

Trimble87
02-10-2010, 11:15 PM

moving heaven and earth = trading 3 old players who weren't going to be in the rotation anyway...

Spursfan 87
02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Bobcats basically got him for nothing , an injured R.Bell and Radmanovic that's the equivalent of Bonner and Mase, throw Spliiter in there and you got a deal. The spurs did not even try to get him becuase he's not a nice guy.

Sean Cagney
02-10-2010, 11:31 PM
moving heaven and earth = trading 3 old players who weren't going to be in the rotation anyway...

I came in here just to say that there, the problem is not who we moved but the salary and how is playing right now. We gave up nothing for him, but got his salary which sucks.

ezau
02-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Bobcats basically got him for nothing , an injured R.Bell and Radmanovic that's the equivalent of Bonner and Mase, throw Spliiter in there and you got a deal. The spurs did not even try to get him becuase he's not a nice guy.

Nice is always fucking overrated.

Phenomanul
02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
The plus side on him was that he already had Spurs' "Corporate Knowledge"... Stephen is very familiar with the Spurs' complete playbook and not just the watered-down offensive and defensive schemes we've seen this year...

Snaq O'Meal
02-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Nice is always fucking overrated.

Nice guys are easier for Pop to control.

The team needed Mike Brown and HITA to keep SJax in check. Those guys are not around anymore.

DMX7
02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
SJAX wanted to play here... he wanted to be traded here... we failed!

easy7
02-11-2010, 12:12 AM
We wanted Dick, we got dicked.

ezau
02-11-2010, 12:13 AM
SJAX wanted to play here... he wanted to be traded here... we failed!

Exactly.

Johnny RIngo
02-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Cause Pop and the FO would rather have a mediocre, nice-guy like Jefferson instead of a talented player with attitude problems.

Just look at this poll:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4021578#post4021578

57 posters on this forum actually thought that Jefferson would be a better option for the Spurs than SJax.

Baseline
02-11-2010, 12:24 AM

Add this to the list of things Pop needs to explain.

Not sure what number it would be...I don't know, maybe #673?

#1 would be...At the beginning of this season, the Spurs picked by some to win the West, or at least to be in the WCF. What happened? You have the same personnel you had in October. Please explain, Mr. Popovich.

timtonymanu
02-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Nice guys are easier for Pop to control.

The team needed Mike Brown and HITA to keep SJax in check. Those guys are not around anymore.

Nice guys have gotten the whole Spurs team soft. We need a guy like SJax to put some fire in this weak team.

fusionjazzman72
02-11-2010, 02:01 AM
We failed to get Jackson because we have 2 seven footers sitting on the bench while we get raped in the paint while Finley plays the power forward spot. What an idiot coach I am ready for a change. Small ball will win against Denver right?

fusionjazzman72
02-11-2010, 02:02 AM

yep!

Capt Bringdown
02-11-2010, 02:38 AM
It wouldn't have mattered, the Spurs needed to counter the Gasol trade, which is an impossible task. The Gasol trade changed everything.

MI21
02-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Jackson was never coming to San Antonio period! So get over it.

Jackson and Nelson had a huge falling out they both started to hate each other, so Nelson decided to ship Jackson out to the worst place possible, which at the time was the Bobcats.

Nelson was never going to trade Jackson to the Spurs or another contender, he wanted to trade Jackson to a non playoff contender, which was the Bobcats at the time.

Jackson fortunately helped turn the Bobcats around, and Nelson looks like a moron again.

So The Spurs never failed to get Jackson because he was never available in the first place.

How do you know all this?

jjktkk
02-11-2010, 03:02 AM
We failed to get Jackson because we have 2 seven footers sitting on the bench while we get raped in the paint while Finley plays the power forward spot. What an idiot coach I am ready for a change. Small ball will win against Denver right?

Well doesn't that make a whole lot of sense? Seems to me since you think those 7 footers are so valuable, maybe the Spurs need to trade them for Jackson, or hell go for the gusto and trade for D. Wade.

objective
02-11-2010, 03:07 AM
i tend to agree that GS wasn't sending him where he wanted to reward him for being an outright, outspoken cancer who was sabotaging the locker room on purpose. Not that it wasn't already being done by everyone else there, but still.

And as I posted on that poll thread, back in the summer GS was refusing to deal him outright to anyone. They dumped Crawford for expirings instead.

superbigtime
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Would rather have had Zach Randolph. Look how he is kicking ass for the Grizzlies. The Clippers traded him for Quentin Richardson for crying out loud. The Clippers got him along with Mardy Collins for Cuttino Mobley and Tim Thomas from the Knicks the year before. Basically the Grizz and previously the Clips got him for next to nothing. Why weren't the Spurs in the mix? We don't need a 20-10 guy who can shoot from long range? People cried about Rasheed Wallace this offseason, but this is the guy the Spurs could have used most. Hindsight is 20/20. I mean 20-10.

jermaine
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
You really think Nelson would do Jackson a favor by sending him to playoff contender after Jackson called Nelson out in the media?
Green bay went outta their way to make sure Farve wouldn't be wit the Vikes by sending him to the Jets but he still got there & beat them twice! So shit can happen!

The Truth #6
02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't recall Sjax being available at the time. It wasn't an option.

Dex
02-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Probably because Golden State had little interest in the three older, slower, defensive minded players we had to trade.

lefty
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I would take Jax and his attitude over a nice guy who doesn't have balls

Bring back Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

spurs1990
03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
37 points, four 3-pt last night WITH a messed up finger.

Can we send Dick some game tape of this man to see how a real Spurs player is supposed to play?

lefty
03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
I miss Jax :depressed:depressed:depressed

:pctoss

gospursgojas
03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Jack would have given the spurs at least 1 more championship by now. Most likely in '04 when we had to depend on hedo as a scorer.

Not by himself, but as a part of this team.

Dex
03-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Jackson was never coming to San Antonio period! So get over it.

Jackson and Nelson had a huge falling out they both started to hate each other, so Nelson decided to ship Jackson out to the worst place possible, which at the time was the Bobcats.

Nelson was never going to trade Jackson to the Spurs or another contender, he wanted to trade Jackson to a non playoff contender, which was the Bobcats at the time.

Jackson fortunately helped turn the Bobcats around, and Nelson looks like a moron again.

So The Spurs never failed to get Jackson because he was never available in the first place.

Thank god somebody gets it.

Both teams have to agree to a trade, and teams usually don't make trades they aren't satisfied with.

The Warriors didn't want any of the Spurs old, spare parts. The Bucks did. That's why we got Jefferson instead of Jackson.

TheMACHINE
03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
maybe Sjax didnt mean the old age requiement?

Allanon
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Just look at this poll:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4021578#post4021578

57 posters on this forum actually thought that Jefferson would be a better option for the Spurs than SJax.

This poll was taken in January and RJ still got that many votes?

Open polls are great. :lol

benefactor
03-25-2010, 12:43 PM
:depressed