PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on RROD 360

robino2001
02-11-2010, 08:51 AM
So my launch day 360 has RROD'd again... first time was ~2.5 years after launch and was covered by the extended warranty. Now I'm just shit out of luck.

I'm weighing my options. First off, I'm not really interested in buying a new one, switching and returning it. I'm considering selling it and just putting the money towards a new arcade version. There seem to be people on craigslist that will buy RROD'd 360s in the $30 range... better than nothing. I also know there are people who will fix it for you. I'd be willing to do this but am also not really interested in having it modded... do the "fixing" and modding necessarily go hand and hand? Has anyone had their's fixed and did it last/was it reliable? Any other thoughts/options I'm missing?

I'm just looking to see if anyone has an experience to help me in my decision.

Slydragon
02-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I ask a guy on craigslist and he said 30 to just fix it, no modding. I bought one with RoD for 30 bucks and if I pay another 30 that comes out to 60 bucks for a Xbox with 2 controllers and 3 games and a 20 gb hdd.

Figure if the xbox is not fixable I paid 60 bucks for 2 wireless pads for my xbox.

Fpoonsie
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Get a PS3.

z0sa
02-11-2010, 12:07 PM
My disk drive simply stopped reading games last night, and won't open while the xbox is standing.

Any suggestions?

robino2001
02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Get a PS3.

Have one... so thanks for the helpful insight...

I don't use the PS3 for games though - at least haven't yet.

cool cat
02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I think it only cost $99 for them to fix it if it's out of warranty.

The new arcade version is pretty good if you already have the accessories. The new ones run a bit quieter then the original.

Don't get a PS3, the network it uses is crap. Mine will sit and collect dust until God of War 3 comes out.

IronMexican
02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Fixing and modding don't go hand in hand. Get it fixed by someone on Craigslist, or there or tutorials on the internet if you want to try that.

IronMexican
02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I think it only cost $99 for them to fix it if it's out of warranty.

The new arcade version is pretty good if you already have the accessories. The new ones run a bit quieter then the original.

Don't get a PS3, the network it uses is crap. Mine will sit and collect dust until God of War 3 comes out.

:lol 40 Bucks on Craigslist, and it takes up to an hour before you get it back.

robino2001
02-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Fixing and modding don't go hand in hand. Get it fixed by someone on Craigslist, or there or tutorials on the internet if you want to try that.

Right - I figured that but just wanted to make sure. I've also seen the ~$30-40ish amounts to have it fixed... but has anyone had it fixed and did it actually sustain or is it a temporary thing? That's why I'm considering maybe just buying one and selling the crappy one to put towards the new one. I'm not too big on paying MS $100 to fix it when they "fixed" mine less than 2 years ago and it shat out again. I know the new ones aren't perfect, but I'd be willing to bet that my current one would red ring twice more (= $200) before the new one would be out of warranty and red ring.

If I were to buy one, it'll just be the arcade because I don't need anything else - just the main hardware itself.

IronMexican
02-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Right - I figured that but just wanted to make sure. I've also seen the ~$30-40ish amounts to have it fixed... but has anyone had it fixed and did it actually sustain or is it a temporary thing? That's why I'm considering maybe just buying one and selling the crappy one to put towards the new one. I'm not too big on paying MS $100 to fix it when they "fixed" mine less than 2 years ago and it shat out again. I know the new ones aren't perfect, but I'd be willing to bet that my current one would red ring twice more (= $200) before the new one would be out of warranty and red ring.

If I were to buy one, it'll just be the arcade because I don't need anything else - just the main hardware itself.

Microsoft fixed mine in October and it crapped out 3 weeks later. And by then, I was banned.

I think there are alternative chips you can buy or something. You can buy the stuff to fix RROD for 15 bucks, so that if it ever craps out again, you can fix it yourself. They seem to be ticking time bombs once they get RROD, though.

Fpoonsie
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Have one... so thanks for the helpful insight...

I don't use the PS3 for games though - at least haven't yet.

:lol Sorry. Wasn't tryin to be a dick. I've just always been a PS guy, aside from the "ultra-sleek slims". Never had a problem w/ them. Like the controller better, blu-ray rocks my face off, etc.

You should try a game or two. Start w/ Uncharted 2 or either one of the Resistance(s).

IronMexican
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
:lol Sorry. Wasn't tryin to be a dick. I've just always been a PS guy, aside from the "ultra-sleek slims". Never had a problem w/ them. Like the controller better, blu-ray rocks my face off, etc.

You should try a game or two. Start w/ Uncharted 2 or either one of the Resistance(s).

I was a big ps2 fan. Even had a ps3. Just that none of my friends had one. Once I modded my 360, the ps3 was almost never touched. I sold it. I'm fucking pissed now though. I NEED GOW3. Gonna have to borrow one from someone.

robino2001
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM

I bought Resistance when I bought the ps3... around 3 months ago. I haven't touched the game once. I'm sure I will eventually. I've read a bit about Uncharted 2 - nothing but great things about it - so I may try that eventually. I'm still waiting to get MAG from gamefly to try that out. Otherwise, if it's a multi-platform game, I'm going to get it for the 360 because that's what anyone I'd play with has (just like IronMexican). I'm not big into a lot of the PS-only stuff that's out there though I will jump all over GT5 whenever it finally comes out.

Another small thing is I've never had a PS before until I bought my PS3 and I've never really liked the controllers because I hardly played with them.

Microsoft fixed mine in October and it crapped out 3 weeks later. And by then, I was banned.

Hopefully that was a warranty fix - and even then, 3 weeks is insane. I wonder if MS warranties the repair... like if you're paying $100 to have it repaired, they must back it for 3-6 months or something.

PM5K
02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I'd try to get a newer model that uses a newer chip that produces less heat.

robino2001
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
So there are apparently a crapload of people interested in RROD 360's. If/when I sell mine, is taking the HD off sufficient or is any of the personal information stored on any internal memory (live gamertag stuff, CC information if it was ever stored... I don't think it was though)? I'll change my XBL password just incase, but is there anything to worry about stored internally? Even then, how would I do anything about it if I can't boot up the unit?

I remember thinking that you had to buy a 256 MB memory card just to get on live with a gamertag but I could be trippin.

BlackSwordsMan
02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Do this.
Get a towel, wrap it around your xbox, make it works. Go to gamestop sell it and buy a new one. :)