PDA

View Full Version : Muschamp Rule...

Kermit
02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Suprised this hasn't been posted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=4903982

K-State Spur
02-11-2010, 10:52 AM
LOL at Texas crying about a recruiting DISADVANTAGE.

Blake
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
what a bitch move by the ncaa.

why would they do this?

Kermit
02-11-2010, 11:02 AM
LOL at Texas crying about a recruiting DISADVANTAGE.

It's a disadvantage that targets one (two, but Maryland really doesn't count) school. So yes, there is crying.

Kermit
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM

why would they do this?

Probably for a myriad of reasons. They definitely don't want a HCIW using his status as a recruiting advantage. They probably don't want a Jimbo Fisher/Bowden redux. I get the rule, but it seems to me that it's easy as hell to skirt.

K-State Spur
02-11-2010, 11:23 AM

why would they do this?

In part, because they don't really want HCIWs. There is no Rooney rule for NCAA FB (that falls on the individual institutions), but the NCAA would still much rather see wide open searches for the various openings.

Kermit
02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
In part, because they don't really want HCIWs. There is no Rooney rule for NCAA FB (that falls on the individual institutions), but the NCAA would still much rather see wide open searches for the various openings.

This too. Expect Texas in the next couple of days to either file a suit, or simply state that Muschamp is no longer the HCIW, but will be in strong consideration once Mack steps down (along with some other candidates). And then expect a Muschamp raise.

leemajors
02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Maybe they're just trying to deflect attention from the O'Bannon lawsuit.

Kermit
02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe they're just trying to deflect attention from the O'Bannon lawsuit.

I hope this O'Bannon lawsuit becomes the equivalent of the NCAA getting bent over and having a hot poker shoved up their ass.

leemajors
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
I hope this O'Bannon lawsuit becomes the equivalent of the NCAA getting bent over and having a hot poker shoved up their ass.

I would hope it does. They've gotten fat on the likenesses of former players with no compensation doled out for too long.

K-State Spur
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
It's not going to result in athletes getting paid for these things in the future. It's going to result in their likenesses not being used period.

Blake
02-11-2010, 03:22 PM

maybe, although I don't see the difference between hiring Muschamp for the future HC job now as opposed to later.

Blake
02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Probably for a myriad of reasons. They definitely don't want a HCIW using his status as a recruiting advantage.

This seems the most likely, but I still don't see it as a huge advantage of any kind. I also haven't heard any other schools publicly complain about it.

I'd like to know the official reason.

edit. found it at the 2nd to last paragraph.

NFO
02-11-2010, 03:37 PM
why would they do this?

Because the Big East proposed the rule in June of 09 and the NCAA approved it in January of 2010.

Blake
02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Because the Big East proposed the rule in June of 09 and the NCAA approved it in January of 2010.

my question was more of a "what's the purpose?" question, but I found it. thanks anyway.

Kermit
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
It's not going to result in athletes getting paid for these things in the future. It's going to result in their likenesses not being used period.

Ed can sucessfully argue for back-payment. And if he wins and the NCAA resorts to not using likeness, then their game sales will plummet.

scottspurs
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Stupid rule, but it isn't going to stop Texas from getting the players they want.

mookie2001
02-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Who is crying again?

pkbpkb81
02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
this dumb, but the fact that it is happening to ut is funny

K-State Spur
02-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Ed can sucessfully argue for back-payment. And if he wins and the NCAA resorts to not using likeness, then their game sales will plummet.

The game sales wouldn't plummet. Not many people buy the game because QB#3 shares characteristics with their favorite player. They buy the game because it's a realistic portrayal of college football in general. The player similarities are just a perk.

One of the most popular modes is dynasty play where, after one year, you're recruiting entirely fictional talent anyways.

mookie2001
03-10-2010, 07:23 PM
One year grace period