PDA

View Full Version : GOP Suddenly Has Northeastern Opportunities

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
The GOP has seen its northeastern base slowly fade into oblivion over the last several cycles. There's no guarantee that '10 will bring a revitalization to the region -- indeed, primaries in nearly all of these potentially competitive contests could result in the party not fielding its best candidates. But for the first time in a long time, the GOP shows signs of life there, and that's a change.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/02/gop_suddenly_ha.php

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
It will be interesting to see to what extent the social cons will be held at bay. Yes, Brown won in MA, but I think the national dynamic of that election had much more to do with that; glossed over was the fact that he was otherwise a classic Northeast "RINO" Senate candidate in the Snowe/Collins/Chafee/Jeffords mold.

ElNono
02-11-2010, 01:22 PM
You have to add the win of Christie here in NJ. That election was more a reflection of the corruption that creeps up when a single party stays in power for too long than a demonstration of conservatism. I don't know how it's going to shake up things in the state looking at Congressional elections.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I think the key for the Dems to avoid total destruction in November is to play up some social issues with appeal to (1) motivate their base and (2) curb the appeal of the GOP to independents. If the main political issues being discussed prior to the election are the size of the federal budget, the size of the federal deficit, unemployment, and the economy, the Dems are toast.

ElNono
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I think the key for the Dems to avoid total destruction in November is to play up some social issues with appeal to (1) motivate their base and (2) curb the appeal of the GOP to independents. If the main political issues being discussed prior to the election are the size of the federal budget, the size of the federal deficit, unemployment, and the economy, the Dems are toast.

I don't like the GOP any more than the Dems, but I don't have a problem with that. The quicker Pelosi and Reid lose power, the quicker we'll get something done in Congress.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Or, change. The subject.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey, a Democratic president and a GOP congress seemed to bring some fiscal sanity to DC a decade or so ago.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Immigration reform seems like a nice issue for the Dems to roll out. Yanni, Suckinncowboys, jack hummerset, and Cobra Commander would help voters think twice about voting GOP.

ElNono
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Immigration reform seems like a nice issue for the Dems to roll out. Yanni, Suckinncowboys, jack hummerset, and Cobra Commander would help voters think twice about voting GOP.

Cobra has his gun loaded and binoculars ready...

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Put an Irish face on immigration and it's Angela's Ashes and all the nostalgic bullshit.

Put a brown face on it and it's the end of the Republic.

Unless Cobra Commander wants to go really old school and take a stand against the incipient Catholicism in our midst.

spursncowboys
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
When conservatives lost, marcus and all the other moderates said the repubs have to be a big tent. Get rid of silly beliefs and ethics. Pay no attention to the fact that majority of Americans want our borders secured and babies not to be murdered. Now the conservatives (the real ones, not ones from generations ago) stuck to their beliefs and are now growing in every way. So the new thinking from the intelligent and enlightened part of the city on the hill thinks we should just become liberal lite and that way we will win elections. I think the majority should play up the social issues. Look how much it has got them. Keep making fun of tea party people and keep bringing up how illegals should get free medical.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
When did I state the GOP had to be a "big tent"?

To the contrary, it needs to kick out the diseased ideology that you embrace.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Oh, you meant admitting women, coloreds, and the low-born. My apologies.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
When conservatives lost, marcus and all the other moderates said the repubs have to be a big tent. Get rid of silly beliefs and ethics. Pay no attention to the fact that majority of Americans want our borders secured and babies not to be murdered.Isn't Brown pro-life?

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I guess he is, or suckincowboys might be a fan of the Big Ol' Gay Tent (note to ankle biters, I'm not making fun of homosexuals).

spursncowboys
02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
When did I state the GOP had to be a "big tent"?

To the contrary, it needs to kick out the diseased ideology that you embrace.

what ideology exactly?

ElNono
02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Pay no attention to the fact that majority of Americans want our borders secured and babies not to be murdered. Now the conservatives (the real ones, not ones from generations ago) stuck to their beliefs and are now growing in every way.

You say that matter-of-factly, but I've yet to see actual evidence of that...

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
what ideology exactly?

the real ones

spursncowboys
02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Oh, you meant admitting women, coloreds, and the low-born. My apologies.

When have I ever written anything that would lead you to believe that? I guess it is one of the few times when you make a direct comment about something, instead of your long winded everyone is to blame and all is done poetry. I would expect a low blow from chump, but I guess courtesy is saved for only those in your class.
Cue WH to laugh and throw in a high brow one liner.