PDA

View Full Version : So we know smallball doesn't work so.....

ulosturedge
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I know i'm going to get butchered for this one, but I dunno what other options we have...

You think it would be possible to play Tim, Dice, and Blair together? I mean its obvious that we get manhandled down low and we suck at crashing the boards. We know Pop has no faith in Ian and Ratliff is too old. Yeah I know Blair and Dice would probably get destroyed by the oppositions small forward, but there would atleast be a trade off no? Blair would destroy any SF at the other end as well, and there would be an extra big around the rim to help on defense, well if done right...

I'm sorry i'm getting very desperate at the moment. I'm pretty much at the point that any experiment is worth a shot. :depressed

timvp
02-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I know i'm going to get butchered for this one, but I dunno what other options we have...
How about just play a regular lineup?

ivanfromwestwood
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
i like it. i would rather blair get destroyed on the perimeter by a 6'7" guy than getting destroyed in the paint by a 7 footer. he would average less rebs.

ulosturedge
02-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Because that isn't working either? You mean keeping RJ out there or putting Finley back in the mix? RJ is a ghost and Finley...well is Finley lol.

dbestpro
02-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Because that isn't working either? You mean keeping RJ out there or putting Finley back in the mix? RJ is a ghost and Finley...well is Finley lol.

I would disagree. We build our leads early in the game based off of a regular lineup even with RJ playing off. If we would just play it most of the time the guys could settle down into their comfort zones and play the game the way they have always played it.

elbamba
02-11-2010, 07:35 PM
It might work in a zone defense

Dex
02-11-2010, 07:38 PM

You mean playing basketball like it has traditionally and historically been played?

That's crazy talk.

Chieflion
02-11-2010, 07:39 PM
You mean playing basketball like it has traditionally and historically been played?

That's crazy talk.
Naw. In the 60s, you have 6 foot 6 players playing PF and C, with the exception of a few greats, so Pop is already playing a traditional lineup. :lol

Dex
02-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Naw. In the 60s, you have 6 foot 6 players playing PF and C, with the exception of a few greats, so Pop is already playing a traditional lineup. :lol

:lol Pop is just trying to restore the games' roots! He's a revolutionist!

ulosturedge
02-11-2010, 07:46 PM

That's crazy talk.

Tell Pop!

poop
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
im really not even sure why they went out and got ratliff.

ShoogarBear
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM

http://www.tigersweat.com/movies/airplane/air13.jpg

No . . . that's just what they'll be expecting us to do!

dbestpro
02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
im really not even sure why they went out and got ratliff.

Pop owed a favor to Theo's cousin Vinnie.

ulosturedge
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
1 - Parker
2 - Ginobli
3 - Finley *CRY*
4 - McDyess
5 - Duncan

1 - Hill
2 - Mason
3 - Jefferson FAIL
4 - Blair
5- Bonner NO

Win!!!!

poop
02-11-2010, 08:01 PM
when did we draft Ian, 3-4 years ago? they felt he was worth keeping around all this time. struggled with constant injuries and never got to play,they STill decided to keep him around. after all this time of keeping him despite of everything, hes readyto play and contribute, and they just sit him.

why the hell did they keep him all these years just to not play him ever?

ElNono
02-11-2010, 08:04 PM

:wakeup

TJastal
02-11-2010, 08:09 PM
when did we draft Ian, 3-4 years ago? they felt he was worth keeping around all this time. struggled with constant injuries and never got to play,they STill decided to keep him around. after all this time of keeping him despite of everything, hes readyto play and contribute, and they just sit him.

why the hell did they keep him all these years just to not play him ever?

Haven't you heard? Pop made a secret deal w/ Splitter. I wish I would take credit for this monumental news... but alas.. it was Yazoverb. He deserves all the credit for this breaking news..

Obstructed_View
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Anybody think it's not the most ridiculous idea to think Blair could play some small forward?

dbestpro
02-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Haven't you heard? Pop made a secret deal w/ Splitter. I wish I would take credit for this monumental news... but alas.. it was Yazoverb. He deserves all the credit for this breaking news..

let it go.

DAF86
02-11-2010, 08:17 PM

We do pretty well when everybody is playing at their positions, when Pop starts making changes (smallball) is when we lose leads and confidence and suck for the remainder of most games.

ulosturedge
02-11-2010, 08:18 PM
We could hope and pray RJ takes a blow to the head and all the sudden remembers how to play basketball, Hope Manu turns back into the old Manu, and hope Parker plays like last year. Hmmm those are some serious pipe dreams.

Fuck it I guess there are no answers for this team.

Dex
02-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Anybody think it's not the most ridiculous idea to think Blair could play some small forward?

I don't think this would work.

Offensively, Blair can't shoot. At All. So he does nothing to spread the floor and really has no business on the wing.

In fact, he is most effective when he is planted under the basket, hunting for boards and looking to clean up mess shots. He's not a guy you can run plays for yet, aside from a pick & roll maybe (and he's got one option on that: roll).

Defensively, faster SFs in the league like Lebron, Durant, or Odom would constantly be a step ahead of Blair on the break while he hits the boards. Not to mention the fact that they'd be much quicker afoot than him in general, and would probably either get around him with ease or force him into quick fouls. Or just back up and shoot from the perimeter, thus drawing one of our best rebounders out of the paint.

Without a jumper, it's even a stretch to call Blair a PF. At this point and with his skills, Blair is what he is: an undersized center.

dbestpro
02-11-2010, 08:26 PM

It would make as much sense as small ball. He could play the PF on offense and SF on defense against SFs with suspect jump shots with Bonner PF on defense and SF on offense (or maybe vice versa).

ulosturedge
02-11-2010, 08:35 PM
It would make as much sense as small ball. He could play the PF on offense and SF on defense against SFs with suspect jump shots with Bonner PF on defense and SF on offense (or maybe vice versa).

That was more of what I was thinking, but I guess there aren't many weak SF in the league. I guess at this point there is probably no way Blair could keep up, but with some better conditioning I think he could. He has some pretty quick feet and those long arms. He has also had some nice blocks this year. It's probably fatal to sacrifice the guy's gurth for quickness.

But like someone else said it's always a mismatch when he tries to play center or PF anyways. For everything he is getting on the offensive end he is losing in the defensive end. So basically the experiment couldn't be any worse!

Fabbs
02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Don't ask the Lakers, they like Popped just the way he is.
The one and only time in 5 (five) playoff series the Spurs beat the Lakers:
DRob, Duncan and Malik (amoung others) at the frontline.
Malik did 15, 19, 23, 25, 24, and 16 in a 4-2 Spurs win.

Hey can one of those sites tell us how much they were on the floor together?
If not all three, how much of the time Malik was in as the SF, or at least he being the smallest on the floor of the C PF SF bunch?

easy7
02-11-2010, 09:09 PM

And lose against the Mavs for most loses in a season, no way!!
Signed POP

relic
02-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I like this starting five
1 - Parker
2 - Mason
3 - Finley
4 - McDyess
5 - Duncan
second unit
hill
manu
rj
blair
theo
bonner
it work last year to win 50 plus i think richard coming off the bench with manu will wreak havok and be less stressful for D!cK.

mystargtr34
02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I think Pop should try Manu in the starting lineup and bring RJ off the bench where he is the main scoring option.

Got to try something.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 01:52 AM
I don't think this would work.

Offensively, Blair can't shoot. At All. So he does nothing to spread the floor and really has no business on the wing.

In fact, he is most effective when he is planted under the basket, hunting for boards and looking to clean up mess shots. He's not a guy you can run plays for yet, aside from a pick & roll maybe (and he's got one option on that: roll).

Defensively, faster SFs in the league like Lebron, Durant, or Odom would constantly be a step ahead of Blair on the break while he hits the boards. Not to mention the fact that they'd be much quicker afoot than him in general, and would probably either get around him with ease or force him into quick fouls. Or just back up and shoot from the perimeter, thus drawing one of our best rebounders out of the paint.

Without a jumper, it's even a stretch to call Blair a PF. At this point and with his skills, Blair is what he is: an undersized center.

That's why it works. Don't forget that McDyess is your starting forward and he CAN shoot. Having a small forward who has a nose for offensive rebounds and who can score in traffic would fit perfectly with Duncan and Dice IMO. He can clearly move his feet and if there's actually a shot blocker behind him he can route longer threes where they need to go.

Fabbs
02-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Difference?
Spurs perimeter players took the ball to the rack!
Hill, Bogans, GNob, even Soft Dick (well a few times).

Instead of standing at the 3 pt line and make sure their pad is tight (Mrs PopaFinley)

ElNono
02-12-2010, 02:04 AM
We actually built the two leads today playing big.

I still don't understand why we don't go to Dice and his jumper more often, and why he's so severely limited in his minutes.

ulosturedge
02-12-2010, 02:13 AM
We actually built the two leads today playing big.

I still don't understand why we don't go to Dice and his jumper more often, and why he's so severely limited in his minutes.

I think what it is, is the first chance Pop can go small(as per matchups) he does and it's at the expense of Dice's minutes. Since Duncan and Blair are natural rebounders they can anchor the rest of the team. Dice by himself not so much.

ElNono
02-12-2010, 02:15 AM
I think what it is, is the first chance Pop can go small(as per matchups) he does and it's at the expense of Dice's minutes. Since Duncan and Blair are natural rebounders they can anchor the rest of the team. Dice by himself not so much.

Dice has been rebounding great in reduced minutes lately. And when the Spurs go really small, they do it with only Tim or Blair as their big. I'm just wondering if Antonio is dinged up or something and they're just taking it easy with him. I would just rather see Antonio more and small ball less or not at all.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 02:17 AM

Dice hasn't exactly been a slouch as a rebounder the last several years.