PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs notebook: Duncan's minutes in Karl's hands

duncan228
02-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan's minutes in Karl's hands (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_notebook_Duncans_minutes_in_Karls_hands.html )
Jeff McDonald

DENVER — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has not had a stern talk with his friend George Karl about limiting Tim Duncan's minutes in Sunday's NBA All-Star Game.

Popovich figures he doesn't have to.

“I already know he'll try to screw me,” Popovich said. “He's that kind of guy.”

Karl, who coaches the Denver Nuggets and will coach the Western Conference All-Stars in Arlington, hinted before Thursday's game against the Spurs he was not above being bribed.

“If I get a case of wine,” Karl said, “you never know.”

Popovich has done his best to cap Duncan's minutes this season, holding his 33-year-old power forward to a career-low 32:12 per night. He has also been limiting Duncan's appearances at practices.

Popovich admits keeping Duncan off the floor hasn't always been easy.

“With Timmy, you always have to convince him (to sit), because he feels it's his responsibility to be there with the other players and do what they do,” Popovich said. “He's just built that way.”

Parker sidelined: Spurs guard Tony Parker did not play Thursday because of a left hip flexor strain.

Parker was originally injured in Monday's loss at the Lakers, and with one game left until the All-Star break, Popovich opted to give him the night off against Denver.

Parker, who was averaging 10.6 assists in his previous six games, has missed eight games this season.

Denver forward Kenyon Martin, who had 27 points and 11 rebounds in the Nuggets' Jan. 31 win in San Antonio, also sat out Thursday's game with left knee tendinitis.

McDyess' All-Star: Spurs center Antonio McDyess was pleased his friend and former teammate, Chauncey Billups, was added to the All-Star team.

Billups, the Denver point guard, wasn't on the original roster announced Jan. 28, but was added last week when New Orleans' Chris Paul had to withdraw because of knee surgery.

“I think he should have been on the team to start with,” said McDyess, who spent seven seasons playing with Billups in Denver and Detroit. “Of course, I'm probably biased.”

Dirk an All-Star starter? As coach of the West All-Stars, Karl is given the responsibility of choosing who starts for Lakers' star Kobe Bryant, who was voted in by the fans but will miss the game with injury.

Karl said he'd narrowed his choices down to Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki or Billups, but was probably leaning toward Nowitzki. The fact the game will be held at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Karl said, is likely to swing his decision.

“The karma of the game, 100,000 people, I think it would be good to give Dallas a representative,” Karl said.

honestfool84
02-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Parker, who was averaging 10.6 assists in his previous six games

i know it's McDonald writing this article... and that means he doesn't do a lot of research and it could be wrong.. but if this is true, then :wow

SCdac
02-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Yeah, there's no reason Parker shouldn't be averaging around 8 assists per game this season. When he dishes out that many assists, or more, this season we've come away with mostly wins I believe. I'm sure that has to do with players knocking down their shots, but also with Parker getting used to having so many options. Career high 14 assists the other night in under 30 minutes was as cool to watch as his 30 point games last season.

exstatic
02-12-2010, 02:08 AM
i know it's McDonald writing this article... and that means he doesn't do a lot of research and it could be wrong.. but if this is true, then :wow

NOT true. Checking the game logs on his player page, it shows assist totals of 10,8,8,6,14,8. Even with that career night outlier, he totaled 54 assists, for a solid average of 9 per contest.

How does he keep his fucking job?

timaios
02-12-2010, 02:10 AM

Jan 22 vs. HOU = 10 ast
Jan 25 vs. CHI = 8 ast
Jan 27 vs. ATL = 8 ast
Feb 04 @ POR = 6 ast
Feb 06 @ LAC = 14 ast
Feb 08 @ LAL = 8 ast

Total = 54 ast in 6 games... so it's 9 ast/game (not 10.6 :lol) !

Edit : exstatic is too fast for me !

SCdac
02-12-2010, 02:15 AM
Interesting to read about Duncan's "limited" practice appearances... Not exactly startling news or bad news, but interesting.... But it leads me to think Mahinmi and Ratliff, hopefully, are getting alot of/important practice minutes with the team... Maybe??? Grasping at straws?

thispego
02-12-2010, 02:21 AM
NOT true. Checking the game logs on his player page, it shows assist totals of 10,8,8,6,14,8. Even with that career night outlier, he totaled 54 assists, for a solid average of 9 per contest.

How does he keep his fucking job?

jesus christ.

where is tpark to come and defend this guy?

Josepatches_
02-12-2010, 08:27 AM
I agree with limiting Duncan's minutes but how long?

I mean... we were 7th in the standings yesterday.It's nice to see him well in the playoffs but it's not sure at 100% that he will be a lot of worse playing 34 instead of 32 minutes the last months.Those 2-3 minutes could be very important for the final position in the standigs.

Right now we are in the fight for the 3nd seedIt's good to see Duncan well rested in the playoffs but the only reason to do that is to win the championship.And it's more easy to win if you have home court advantage than if you have to win all the series without it.

Duncan can start the playoffs with 32 mpg but if we are 7th or 8th he will have to average 42 minutes per night in the playoffs.

For me to be 2nd or 3rd seed is to be 1-0 in the first round.Play at home and against a worse team.Last year it didn't work but i would take that situation every time before to face the Lakers or the Nuggets away.

So it's great to limite TD's minutes but how much time more?