PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I get to see Ian play this season

Biggems
02-12-2010, 01:59 AM
I missed his other appearances because of work, but tonight I got to see him.

I loved the high/low to Blair. Id like to see those two get more time together and utilize that play quite a bit.

I like that he made his FTs and his form was excellent.

I wasn't happy with the turnovers, but hey, when all you get is garbage time here and there, you force some things and tend to be a little over aggressive.

Oh and yes, we win by nearly 20 on the road against the 2nd best team in the West.....shocking indeed.

what a great night of Spurs basketball.

exstatic
02-12-2010, 02:01 AM
One nice basket, one nice pass, two FTs. Now for the reality check: on consecutive possessions; stepped on baseline, offensive foul, traveling violation.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 02:03 AM
The offensive foul wasn't an offensive foul, and he didn't travel. Pop could be seen on camera after the travelling call shaking his head and saying it was a bad call. If Ian had been getting playing time the last two months the refs don't call either of those. The reality is what he did with the ball in his hands that many plays in a row after so much time in a suit behind the bench. An additional reality is what he did to the guys in the other color jerseys when they had the ball.

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2010, 02:03 AM
That's what you would expect from a guy that is basically a rookie though..he's going to have good and bad..

ElNono
02-12-2010, 02:05 AM
They went straight to him at the end. With the trade deadline looming, I bet you the coaching staff wanted to have one last look.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2010, 02:06 AM
What reeks of the slap to the face of educated spurs fans is how Pop blatantly demanded the entire offense run solely thru Ian for the last 2:30 of the game.

Fabbs
02-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Very nice basket, very nice lob pass telepathic style to DeJuan.

Now for the reality check. Popazit calls timeout, afterwords EVERY possession the Spurs went into the obviously ordered Stand n Veg offense. Ian was to post up, get the entry pass and then all 4 Spurs stood away and vegged while Ian was to go one on one. It's as if a huge announcement was made by megaphone to all the Denver players.

Also the travelling violation looked pretty iffy.

As opposed to some open flow offense which he seems to do just fine in.
Popazit has long surpassed idiot mode.

exstatic
02-12-2010, 02:12 AM
The offensive foul wasn't an offensive foul, and he didn't travel.

The refs beg to differ with you. :lol Seriously, now Team Ian Coco is pimping him by saying he got bad calls? :lmao

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Making mistakes shouldn't be a criteria for not playing for the Spurs..

Bogans and Finley get minutes and they make mistakes all game..they're also 2 of the worst players in the NBA right now..sadly, I'm not exaggerating at all..

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 02:23 AM
The refs beg to differ with you. :lol Seriously, now Team Ian Coco is pimping him by saying he got bad calls? :lmao

It should be pretty simple, even for you. Go back and watch the plays. They aren't that hard to figure out. You aren't so ignorant that you don't understand the reality that refs blow the whistle more on guys they don't know? You don't remember, "Hi, I'm Devin Brown"? :lol

Even if we set aside the reality that a familiarity with a player influences the calls he gets, there were more than enough good things from Mahinmi during his minutes on the floor this year to indicate that he should be, at worst, the second big off the bench.

timvp
02-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Gotta love how he looks like Mark Madsinmi in summer league and Wilt Chamberlinmi in regular season games.

murpjf88
02-12-2010, 02:26 AM
But lack of experience is a criteria. The spurs are trying to chase down a playoff spot and Ian is in no way, shape or form ready to compete at the nba level. Now is hardly the time to experiment with the unknown and outside of a good game against New Jersey, he hasn't shown a whole lot.

Bogans is completely worthless and should share the bench with Ian. His defense was highly overrated and his offense is non existent.

exstatic
02-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Making mistakes shouldn't be a criteria for not playing for the Spurs..

Bogans and Finley get minutes and they make mistakes all game..they're also 2 of the worst players in the NBA right now..sadly, I'm not exaggerating at all..

Everyone makes mistakes, but I don't believe either of the gentlemen that you mentioned have come down and committed three consecutive turnovers in garbage time. You know, that time of game when refs really just want to NOT call anything? :lol

Cane
One nice basket, one nice pass, two FTs. Now for the reality check: on consecutive possessions; stepped on baseline, offensive foul, traveling violation.

Yea he seems too inconsistent and foul-happy. Dare I say it: Not even Bonner's that bad :wow

The only big that got any minutes though was Duncan at 27 mins. McDyess had about 16, Blair 21, Bonner 14. Small ball won this game.

ElNono
In typical Pop fashion, he will probably trade him tomorrow for a washed up vet.

I'll find out real quick when I hear the collective of Spurstalk groaning when it happens.

:lol

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Gotta love how he looks like Mark Madsinmi in summer league and Wilt Chamberlinmi in regular season games.

I remember we were talking about how he needed to show them what urgency looked like in the preseason. His sleepwalking just doomed him.

timvp
02-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Since McDyess was still on vacation the first half of the season, the start-Mahinmi-ten-games plan should have occurred. Shameful it didn't. It's too late to do anything now. The only chance the Spurs have at keeping him in the offseason is to not play him, hide his potential and keep his value low.

Wait, did I just stumble into Pop's way of thinking? :downspin:

ElNono
02-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Since McDyess was still on vacation the first half of the season, the start-Mahinmi-ten-games plan should have occurred. Shameful it didn't. It's too late to do anything now. The only chance the Spurs have at keeping him in the offseason is to not play him, hide his potential and keep his value low.

If that's the plan, he shouldn't have played today. I believe the Rattler was available.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 02:33 AM

I submit, once again, that it's WAY too late for that. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there arefifteen teams that have that New Jersey game on DVD filed away and are ready to give him, at the very least, more money than the Spurs can. You can't teach size, you can't teach speed, and you can't teach soft hands.

ElNono
We need a Doug Collins troll to over analyze Ian's situation in 20 sentences or more...

timvp
If that's the plan, he shouldn't have played today.
Three turnovers can do some nice PER damage :drunk

ElNono
02-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Three turnovers can do some nice PER damage :drunk

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2010, 02:36 AM
you guys still have faith in this guy?

hahahahahahaa move on fellas

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2010, 02:37 AM
All we can hope for now is that he goes to the East next year..

One athletic all-D League player down, one more to go..

exstatic
02-12-2010, 02:37 AM
I submit, once again, that it's WAY too late for that. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there arefifteen teams that have that New Jersey game on DVD filed away and are ready to give him, at the very least, more money than the Spurs can. You can't teach size, you can't teach speed, and you can't teach soft hands.

New Jersey? Really? They are actually the first team I think will eclipse the Philly futility mark for a season. That's like going off on a HS team. The reserves from a very good Denver team were better competition than the NJ regulars.

ElNono
02-12-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm totally expecting a trade like Ian + rights for Splitter for James Posey... I kid you not.

ivanfromwestwood
02-12-2010, 02:39 AM
Yea he seems too inconsistent and foul-happy. Dare I say it: Not even Bonner's that bad :wow

you got to be fucking kidding me. ride the pine as long as he has and see if your not nervous as hell when you finally get some pt. he was just excited. poor kid. i hope he breaks the rotation after the allstar break

exstatic
02-12-2010, 02:41 AM
I'm totally expecting a trade like Ian + rights for Splitter for James Posey... I kid you not.

Never happen. The Spurs have a cap on trading Messiahs or possible Messiahs: one per summer.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 02:44 AM
New Jersey? Really? They are actually the first team I think will eclipse the Philly futility mark for a season. That's like going off on a HS team. The reserves from a very good Denver team were better competition than the NJ regulars.

Um, I don't really have any illusions that I can convince you how ignorant you are, so I don't exactly know how to respond to your continued hyperbole about how rotten he is. But even if he's every bit as horrible a player as you say he is, there are still going to be a number of team officials that look at his size and athletecism, weigh that against the price required to get him away from the Spurs, and decide that it's a more than acceptable risk. It happens dozens of times every offseason. Hopefully someone tries to jump the gun and offers the Spurs something for him now that can help the team.

Cane
02-12-2010, 02:45 AM
you got to be fucking kidding me. ride the pine as long as he has and see if your not nervous as hell when you finally get some pt. he was just excited. poor kid. i hope he breaks the rotation after the allstar break

He'll only get in the rotation if he earns it. If Pop, Duncan, or anyone of importance wanted him getting minutes over Blair, McDyess, and even Bonner then he would be.

He probably was excited but not much sympathy can be had for what he "contributed" tonight.

SenorSpur
02-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Maybe this was a final showcase game for Ian before he's offered up to Chicago. I hope not. I'd love to see a bigman rotation next year of:

Duncan
McDyess
Blair
Thomas
Mahinmi

I don't speak of Splitter because to me he's like a "mirage in the desert". I'll believe he exists once I see him for myself.

spurs10
02-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Indeed. TO's aside, he looked good out there. It might do wonders for defending the paint and shut up our critics like Karl.

J_Paco
02-12-2010, 02:57 AM
I love his quickness, though he's still raw with his moves, because that's something that can't be taught. He really explodes in and out of his triple-threat stance, while he also threw a nice lob pass to Blair for a score.

I really hope he doesn't end up leaving this off-season. I'd much rather have the team use draft picks on wing defenders and it's anyone's guess if Splitter really will come over.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Indeed. TO's aside, he looked good out there. It might do wonders for defending the paint and shut up our critics like Karl.

Yeah, I don't care if he never gets the ball in the post. I'll take a seven foot version of Bowen who defends on one end and scores four or five points on offense.

Cane
02-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Yeah, I don't care if he never gets the ball in the post. I'll take a seven foot version of Bowen who defends on one end and scores four or five points on offense.

Me too..where and who is this guy? :p:

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2010, 03:11 AM
The ladies love Ian..

http://static-p3.fotolia.com/jpg/00/06/65/24/400_F_6652472_m1tEclblidrLjJ9e4GvAUN8q9sHVp39S.jpg

erikuff
02-12-2010, 03:19 AM
why is there so much thought about a guy who the ball was given to for a straight 2 minutes and couldnt produce?

J_Paco
02-12-2010, 03:23 AM
why is there so much thought about a guy who the ball was given to for a straight 2 minutes and couldnt produce?

What the hell are you talking about?? He had 4 points, 1 assist and 2 rebounds in that limit amount of play. Yeah, he's going to turnover the ball since when is the last time he's had an opportunity to play against other NBA players?? Not including practice, but actual in-game speed and competition.

erikuff
02-12-2010, 03:27 AM
*1 rebound
And it was Petro..... Johan Petro. Not Nene or Anderson, Petro. And this was garbage time with a 20pt lead, so it wasnt like there was all that much pressure for him to dominate or be flawless.

J_Paco
02-12-2010, 03:30 AM
*1 rebound
And it was Petro..... Johan Petro. Not Nene or Anderson, Petro. And this was garbage time with a 20pt lead, so it wasnt like there was all that much pressure for him to dominate or be flawless.

I know Petro sucks, but he was once a NBA starter. If it wasn't for his shitty work ethic and inability to improve beyond his God given athleticism, he'd probably still be starting somewhere.

erikuff
02-12-2010, 03:33 AM
From watching him intensely during his few minutes, he does have a quick first step against bigs, but he isnt ready physically or mentally to step in and make much of an impact at this point. He needs a lot of time to develop still. He may be just as raw as he was when drafted.

J_Paco
02-12-2010, 03:48 AM
but he isnt ready physically or mentally to step in and make much of an impact at this point. He needs a lot of time to develop still. He may be just as raw as he was when drafted.

How are we ever going to know the answers to those questions if the kid never plays? I'd be seriously worried that the team could end having a "Jermaine O'Neal" situation, because no one really knows how much this kid has soaked up or improved since he never plays.

Look at J.J. Hickson in Cleveland. Prior to the season I'd never had imagined that this raw, unpolished second-year player would break into a championship-caliber team's rotation. Yet, he's accomplished that and playing meaningful minutes, while soaking up tons of experience playing with Shaq and LeBron. Yeah, he's a bit player who's role will be reduced in the playoffs, but that can't take away from the chances he's afforded right now.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Suggesting that he's neither physically nor mentally ready is just ludicrous. Cast hypotheticals about the caliber and motivation of the competition all you'd like, but the kid's been ready to play every time he's been asked (other than preseason, which cost him a future with the Spurs). It's a given that he's gone after this year. I just wish he'd get a chance to contribute to the Spurs while he's being paid their money. Again, if the Spurs sat all the guys that aren't going to be here next season, it'd be a rough year.

Ditty
02-12-2010, 04:00 AM

maybe ian and finley i dont know about splitter i wouldnt do that

Old School 44
02-12-2010, 04:01 AM

Yep, I agree. A long, athletic big roaming the paint on D can be a huge deterrent. I could careless if he scores a point. IF they really wanted to break Ian in, they'd tell him to focus strictly on D and run the floor and pickup whatever garbage you can on O.

Unfortunately, I think his appearance was additional trade deadline fodder. The media guy for the Spurs probably wanted some extra clips for Mahinmi's "showcase" tape, so he can make a YouTube highlight reel similar to the one that sold many on Haslip. What "safer" way to get them than in a game that was already over.

I don't consider this game really "seeing Ian play".
The only way I will be convinced Mahinmi can't contribute is if he gets meaningful, guts-of-the-game minutes and shows nothing or he gets traded. Sadly, I think the latter will happen before the trade deadline.

DesignatedT
02-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Pop does what he thinks will win games. people that think other are fucking ridiculous.

cmon now. the guy will do whatever it takes to win... whether thats right or wrong is a different story... but he isnt going to sit someone out because he thinks it might "give them value"...

people that say that are the same people calling for pop to be gone... and believe it or not this franchise would not be what it is without him....

time to stop this garbage. seriously. the guy wants to win just as much as we do.

erikuff
02-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Suggesting that he's neither physically nor mentally ready is just ludicrous. Cast hypotheticals about the caliber and motivation of the competition all you'd like, but the kid's been ready to play every time he's been asked (other than preseason, which cost him a future with the Spurs). It's a given that he's gone after this year. I just wish he'd get a chance to contribute to the Spurs while he's being paid their money. Again, if the Spurs sat all the guys that aren't going to be here next season, it'd be a rough year.
He's really only had one good "ready-to-play" game and as it's been said here a dozen times, that was against NJ. But I do agree that they might as well play him because we know we are not going to win it all this year.
This guy has played 12 or whatever amount of games in his NBA career in limited minutes?
Is this because he's as good as visiting the hospital as Bynum/Oden?
Or Pop just is being a fool and not playing him?
Or he does not have the skills?
I will go with the latter. Call me a popalogist all you like, but popovich is the same guy who gave floor control to wee-old tony parker at the early stages of his career.

objective
02-12-2010, 04:30 AM
come on.

Pop buried Stephen Jackson for an entire season. He only broke free after Steve Smith and Manu were hurt to start 02/03.

Pop locked up George Hill and declared him 'not ready for the playoffs'.

Pop hates projects or faith-based cases. Parker was ready to play day 1. Manu was capable of playing day 1.

And by the way, don't act like he only did squat against NJ because anyone who actually watched the Memhis game and paid attention could see he had a decent game there too.

Whisky Dog
02-12-2010, 04:37 AM

You'd rather a Spurs player be the reverse? How the fuck do you not play a guy that steps his level up when games count?

Old School 44
02-12-2010, 04:38 AM
cmon now. the guy will do whatever it takes to win... whether thats right or wrong is a different story... but he isnt going to sit someone out because he thinks it might "give them value"...

I always think of Pop and the front office, as more “big picture” guys.
This is what’s made them most successful, managing the cap, utilizing the international market etc.

IMO, I always thought Pop held Manu and Tony back (statistically) just before they signed their longer term deals. Not so much to stop their development, but to keep them from requesting franchise player money.

erikuff
02-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Because Hill was such a good shooter last year and he was reliable in most games?
And because Parker was perfect from the get-go and never make godawful mistakes?

Bruno
02-12-2010, 04:47 AM
When Spurs didn't pick his option, Ian said that he would like to re-sign with Spurs next summer. If Spurs' plan is to hide him to re-sign him on a cheap contract, it could work.

Saying that, I don't buy this scenario at all. I fully expect to see Ian being traded before the trade deadline either as part of a package or in a salary dump trade.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 06:27 AM
You'd rather a Spurs player be the reverse? How the fuck do you not play a guy that steps his level up when games count?

It has nothing to do with that. The fact is that Ian could have assured that the Spurs picked up his option had he shown the same fire in the preseason that he's shown in his few opportunities.

Brazil
02-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Ian with ridiculous stats per minutes continue.

boutons_deux
02-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Pop told Ian, months ago (season irrelevant), that Spurs won't be keeping Ian after his contract is over this year.

Rummpd
02-12-2010, 07:54 AM
At least he brings size - he looked like a man among boys out there - play him 5 minutes a game for awhile please Pop!

exstatic
02-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Pop hates projects or faith-based cases. Parker was ready to play day 1. Manu was capable of playing day 1.

Oh, sue Pop! Parker only played (and started!) on day 5. Manu also wasn't capable of playing on day one. He was on the shelf with his NT ankle injury. When he could play, he did play, and at a 21 mpg pace.

As for faith-based cases? I give you DeJuan Blair...

“I don't know how he does it,” Popovich said. “I have no clue what his moves are. He's just a basketball player. We didn't teach him any of it.”

Yet he plays him every night, 18 minutes a game.

LOL@MavsFan
02-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Play Ian more, play Ratliff more, play Dick less, play Bonner less

wildbill2u
02-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Does anyone really buy the BS about working hard in practice so you'll be ready to play once every 20 games? Even in practice if you're #14-15 on the team you aren't going to get into much useful practice scrimmage time.

And that assumes that the coach actually does much scrimmaging once the season starts as opposed to walk throughs and individual skill honing.
You need to play in games to be ready to play in games.

Otherwise your adrenalin is so high and you want to do everything right and you get into foul trouble, even without the refs not giving a sub a break.

SenorSpur
02-12-2010, 09:35 AM
When Spurs didn't pick his option, Ian said that he would like to re-sign with Spurs next summer. If Spurs' plan is to hide him to re-sign him on a cheap contract, it could work.
I would love for that to happen.

Saying that, I don't buy this scenario at all. I fully expect to see Ian being traded before the trade deadline either as part of a package or in a salary dump trade.
I would hate for that to happen.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Pops Mensah-Mahinmi!

Old School 44
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Does anyone really buy the BS about working hard in practice so you'll be ready to play once every 20 games? Even in practice if you're #14-15 on the team you aren't going to get into much useful practice scrimmage time.

And that assumes that the coach actually does much scrimmaging once the season starts as opposed to walk throughs and individual skill honing.
You need to play in games to be ready to play in games.

Otherwise your adrenalin is so high and you want to do everything right and you get into foul trouble, even without the refs not giving a sub a break.

I don't buy it. Not to be the conspirarcy theorist, but it's got to be something personal as to why Ian hasn't gotten a REAL chance. There's just no real logic behind it. Not sure if he was joking, but Timvp alluded to there possibly being more to it in another thread.

When the gag order's lifted after the trade deadline, and Mahinmi is playing along side Scola, or for Larry Brown or Nellie, all will be clear.

elbamba
02-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Pops Mensah-Mahinmi!

The difference in the two players, at least the way I see it, is that Ian looks like he understands the game and is patient. Pops just looked like he wanted to dunk. I could be wrong, but every time I have seen Ian get playing time I have been impressed.

dbestpro
02-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Every reason the Spurs drafted Mahinmi is still there plus he now looks like he knows how to play. I think like others that Pop is low balling the guy so they can resign him at a reduced rate before they allow him to blossom.

hater
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM
man he looked good out there. Fast bigman. the only one we got. I just don't get why pop doesn't play him

I hope they play Ian after allstar

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 01:01 PM
The difference in the two players, at least the way I see it, is that Ian looks like he understands the game and is patient. Pops just looked like he wanted to dunk. I could be wrong, but every time I have seen Ian get playing time I have been impressed.

What people continue to fail to understand when comparing the two players is that the Spurs' front line was so bad and played so passively that Pops Mensah-Bonsu was an attractive option at the time. Mahinmi is a far better player than Pops and even with the improved front line is an attractive option for anyone not named Popovich.

J_Paco
02-12-2010, 01:53 PM
No one is expecting this kid to light up the L, but rebounding and defending the paint are things he could do easily. Shit, I'd be happy if he had Fransisco Elson-type impact for this team. I'm just hopeful that with all the bullshit he's gone through the last two years, he'd really consider coming back here. Whether this team has Splitter or not, McDyess and Duncan will be another year older, I believe 37 and 34 respectively, and depth will be a necessity.

Chomag
02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Yes, Ian did turn the ball Over. However so does Tim, TP, and Manu. Turnovers and offensive fouls happen, it's just funny that some are allowed more slack then others.

Boss
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM
It's pretty annoying how many people on this site openly root against Ian. Look around the NBA big men are hard to find anywhere but w/ the limited number of opportunities we have gotten to see Ian play none of us really know for sure what kind of player he is.

Last night Ian got several post up opportunities in a row to show what he can do and I was impressed. He hit a nice jump hook, high low quick pass to Blair, the he did a sweet spin move where he was about to throw it down but got a bs travel called.

I wish the Spurs would find out what they have in Ian instead of giving up on him because he may be able to help the teams biggest weakness, Interior defense.

jjktkk
02-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Have to disagree with you. Mahimni does shows soft hands, speed, size, etc..., but hes showed this since his rookie year. IMO, despite his impressive skill set, hes never progressed. You would think that by now, with the Spurs rather bland group of bigs on this roster, that Mahimni would, at the very least, be in the rotation. Mahimni, if he ever realizes his potential, will probably have show it on another team. I have some doubts if he ever will become anything more than a role player in the NBA.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Have to disagree with you. Mahimni does shows soft hands, speed, size, etc..., but hes showed this since his rookie year. IMO, despite his impressive skill set, hes never progressed. You would think that by now, with the Spurs rather bland group of bigs on this roster, that Mahimni would, at the very least, be in the rotation. Mahimni, if he ever realizes his potential, will probably have show it on another team. I have some doubts if he ever will become anything more than a role player in the NBA.

He's absolutely progressed. He clearly knows the defense as well or better than the other Spurs that can't seem to rotate under the basket in time, and that spinning lefty hook was not something he could do in 2006.

Even if I were to stipulate that his game is exactly the same as it's always been, all you have to do is look at how much he's progressed physically, as I think he was listed at about 220 when he was drafted. Teams will pay more than the Spurs can afford just to get a guy with his size and build on their team to see what he can do. The unteachables I listed just make it that much more certain that he's gone.

objective
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh, sue Pop! Parker only played (and started!) on day 5. Manu also wasn't capable of playing on day one. He was on the shelf with his NT ankle injury. When he could play, he did play, and at a 21 mpg pace.

As for faith-based cases? I give you DeJuan Blair...

“I don't know how he does it,” Popovich said. “I have no clue what his moves are. He's just a basketball player. We didn't teach him any of it.”

Yet he plays him every night, 18 minutes a game.

LOL

You made my point for me.

He plays Blair because Blair is ready-made. He doesn't have to coach him or develop him or give him a chance based on faith. He BRAGS to the media that he never has to say anything to him or give him any coaching AT ALL! Where have you been? :lol

And Manu was an MVP and 25 years old coming from Europe. He was ready to play, even though he was slowed by an ankle injury. He didn't need development.

Neither did Parker in order to play. Pop could put him out there and Parker was already a good enough player instantly to take the starting job away from the guy that Pop didn't want starting in the first place.

Pop likes ready-made guys. His history proves it. His quotes to the media this season prove it. When he needed to have just a little faith that Hill could contribute more than Jacque Vaughn or Mason at back-up point guard he buried him and declared to the media that he wasn't ready! Did you miss that?

DesignatedT
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
LOL

You made my point for me.

He plays Blair because Blair is ready-made. He doesn't have to coach him or develop him or give him a chance based on faith. He BRAGS to the media that he never has to say anything to him or give him any coaching AT ALL! Where have you been? :lol

And Manu was an MVP and 25 years old coming from Europe. He was ready to play, even though he was slowed by an ankle injury. He didn't need development.

Neither did Parker in order to play. Pop could put him out there and Parker was already a good enough player instantly to take the starting job away from the guy that Pop didn't want starting in the first place.

Pop likes ready-made guys. His history proves it. His quotes to the media this season prove it. When he needed to have just a little faith that Hill could contribute more than Jacque Vaughn or Mason at back-up point guard he buried him and declared to the media that he wasn't ready! Did you miss that?

wow your an idiot.

your hate for pop shows, to say he hasnt had any kind of impact on any of these players careers from a coaching standpoint is ridiculous. he helped manu tony hill all of them become better players.

objective
02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
wow your an idiot.

your hate for pop shows, to say he hasnt had any kind of impact on any of these players careers from a coaching standpoint is ridiculous. he helped manu tony hill all of them become better players.

no hate for pop, just the truth. it is what it is.

It's a nuanced argument about readiness vs. development. Some people can't handle it.

jag
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
no hate for pop, just the truth. it is what it is.

It's a nuanced argument about readiness vs. development. Some people can't handle it.

Parker came into the league as a wild, 3-point shooting PG with terrible court vision. Pop is one of many reasons that Tony has developed so well, both physically and psychologically. Pop had enough faith to throw him in a starting lineup with a perennial championship contender. Pop also had enough faith to give rookie Beno Udrih quality minutes during the NBA finals.

Ready-made is not an objective term.

Cane
02-12-2010, 05:03 PM

Agreed. Pop is an excellent coach for improving promising talent. This is one of the areas where he stands out compared to guys like Phil Jackson.

objective
02-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Parker came into the league as a wild, 3-point shooting PG with terrible court vision. Pop is one of many reasons that Tony has developed so well, both physically and psychologically. Pop had enough faith to throw him in a starting lineup with a perennial championship contender. Pop also had enough faith to give rookie Beno Udrih quality minutes during the NBA finals.

Ready-made is not an objective term.

and yet no one said that Parker wasn't ready when he was playing. He was ready for the gig. He got incredibly better, but he was already at a base level to play.

And Beno was an experienced international when he came to the Spurs and was ready to play as the season started. Surprisingly in fact, he looked better the first half of his rookie season than he did the rest of his Spurs career.

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Parker had been a pro basketball player for a number of years before the Spurs drafted him, as had Manu, as had Oberto, as had Scola, as had Splitter.

Jace
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm fairly confident that after the Spurs let him go he will sign with another team and blossom into a good big man

Going to look like a huge mistake 3 years from now

DesignatedT
02-12-2010, 08:01 PM
and yet no one said that Parker wasn't ready when he was playing. He was ready for the gig. He got incredibly better, but he was already at a base level to play.

And Beno was an experienced international when he came to the Spurs and was ready to play as the season started. Surprisingly in fact, he looked better the first half of his rookie season than he did the rest of his Spurs career.

lol this argument is terrible. everyone in the NBA is at a "base level to play".. thats how there in the NBA

sounds like nothing more than pop bashing anyway you can do it.

exstatic
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm fairly confident that after the Spurs let him go he will sign with another team and blossom into a good big man

Going to look like a huge mistake 3 years from now

I think there's about a 5% chance of that happening. There's about a 65% chance that he signs somewhere else and has absolutely NO impact, like some of his long athletic countrymen named Petro, or Ajinca. The other 30% is him going back to thr French league and kicking ass.

pad300
02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I think there's about a 5% chance of that happening. There's about a 65% chance that he signs somewhere else and has absolutely NO impact, like some of his long athletic countrymen named Petro, or Ajinca. The other 30% is him going back to thr French league and kicking ass.

This I think you are wrong on. We could debate 5% vs 65% (particularly as there is a lot of space between "good big man" and no impact; ie where the Elson's of the world reside), but the 30% is way off. He won't make the NBA vet min in the French league. Resigning with the Spurs for the vet min would become MUCH more likely at that point. That would give the Spurs a 5ht/6th big with potential at the appropriate price point, with experience in the system - which seems to be a huge plus...

Obstructed_View
02-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Resigning with the Spurs for the vet min would become MUCH more likely at that point. That would give the Spurs a 5ht/6th big with potential at the appropriate price point, with experience in the system - which seems to be a huge plus...

The only chance the Spurs have of keeping him is to let him play this year and hope that his sense of loyalty makes him turn down the offers he'll get from other teams.

As for his experience, if he's not able to contribute this season after five years in the Spurs system there's no reason to believe another year's going to help him. I've seen zero indication that he's lost or struggling to know where to be; he's been with the Spurs long enough that he can probably coach Dice and Ratliff on the position. If that's not an asset this year it never will be, and those who say "there must be something Pop knows that the rest of us don't" are probably right.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-13-2010, 12:28 PM

but its insanely ass backwards to put off his potential by another year

if the casual nba fan can see mcdyess could have played less and ian more, why not Pop?

we had all this talk preseason about how the window is closing, how we are gonna try to win now....well wtf

jjktkk
02-13-2010, 06:44 PM
The only chance the Spurs have of keeping him is to let him play this year and hope that his sense of loyalty makes him turn down the offers he'll get from other teams.

As for his experience, if he's not able to contribute this season after five years in the Spurs system there's no reason to believe another year's going to help him. I've seen zero indication that he's lost or struggling to know where to be; he's been with the Spurs long enough that he can probably coach Dice and Ratliff on the position. If that's not an asset this year it never will be, and those who say "there must be something Pop knows that the rest of us don't" are probably right.

Thats why I disagreed with you earlier. Mahimni has prgressed from his rookie years, especially phisically. But after 5 yerars, not enough progression, where Mahimni would at the very least be a solid role player. I do think Pop knows more than us. IMO I think Mahimni struggles with the mental part of the game. Just from watching him play in the Summer League, he seems to hesitate in certain game situations, rather than just react naturally. I would love to be proved wrong about Mahimni, so maybe someday soon the light will come on for him.

elgato21
02-13-2010, 06:48 PM
I thing Ian head is too confused right now...
too much presure ... he knows that he can do it better...
but Pop cant wait too much, spurs need to win, and right now
Blair is our bet!!!! more than a bet, he is real!!

Obstructed_View
02-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Thats why I disagreed with you earlier. Mahimni has prgressed from his rookie years, especially phisically. But after 5 yerars, not enough progression, where Mahimni would at the very least be a solid role player. I do think Pop knows more than us. IMO I think Mahimni struggles with the mental part of the game. Just from watching him play in the Summer League, he seems to hesitate in certain game situations, rather than just react naturally. I would love to be proved wrong about Mahimni, so maybe someday soon the light will come on for him.

He's stepped up huge in the only minutes he's been given this year, the first time he's been healthy during the regular season in a long long time. Why that hasn't been reason enough to continue to give him a little rope at a time is completely beyond me. Again, I've seen little evidence from his actual game time that he struggles with much of anything beyond the refs being unfamiliar with his game. Wouldn't take the zebras many post game evaluations to realize that Ian's pretty good.

pad300
02-13-2010, 10:09 PM

I can't see loyalty keeping him here if he gets an offer from any other NBA team, playing time from here forwards or no. Only compared to what he'd get from a Euro team, I think he might stay.

Further regarding players Pop would have on his team vs playing time, consider Sean Marks. Pop was willing to have him around at a minimum salary as a guy who knew the system and didn't publically bitch about playing time. Ian hasn't bitched about playing time so far...and apparently knows the system...