PDA

View Full Version : Bosh: I'm the kind of player you can build around

duncan228
02-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Bosh: I'm the kind of player you can build around (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/13095/bosh-im-the-kind-of-player-you-can-build-around)
By Marc Stein

DALLAS -- Don’t expect Chris Bosh to reveal his free-agent plans during his All-Star homecoming in Big D.

The Dallas native continues to insist that he doesn’t yet “have an answer” no matter how many people ask him to declare his intentions now.

He also notes that “things you like and dislike change daily,” which Bosh says makes it “impossible almost to not only predict the future but predict your feelings” when free agency is still more than four months away.

Bosh, though, did have some encouraging words for the Raptors’ edgy fan base to balance out the open-to-interpretation nature of those quotes when he sat down Thursday to tape an interview for ESPN Radio’s “Meet The All-Stars” show that airs Saturday night at 6 p.m.

First Bosh scoffed at folks who think he’s already made his decision to leave the league’s only Canadian franchise.

“He’s gone, it’s over, it’s done,” Bosh said in a mocking tone.

Then Bosh revealed that he’s not necessarily interested in playing anywhere that he’s not the clear-cut franchise player.

“That’s a good question,” Bosh said when asked by ESPN The Magazine’s Ric Bucher if he’s bothered by the widespread perception that he’s determined to follow either LeBron James or Dwyane Wade by signing on with one of the teams they choose starting July 1.

“It’s funny you say that, because I was thinking about it. I was just looking at what people say and it’s like, ‘Chris is going to go here and play with him or this, this and that.’ I’m like, ‘Wait a minute.’ I feel like I should be built around. And maybe that’s just my ego talking, but I feel that I’m a very good player in this league and I’m only going to get better. So … maybe we should be getting somebody [in Toronto].”

Bosh is sure to field more probing questions about his future Friday when he meets the bulk of the media in town to cover All-Star Weekend. But the above comments, at the very least, give more insight into our assertion made back in November (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-091114-15) that Bosh likes his situation in Toronto more than many of us south of the border want to believe.

There’s still no guarantee that he’ll stay with the Raps, but it’s clear that the combination of playing in a cosmopolitan city he likes while also ranking as the unquestioned face of the franchise holds great appeal.

And Bosh’s Raptors, at the very least, have convinced the rest of the league that he is thoroughly unavailable in trade talks as the league’s Feb. 18 trading deadline approaches. Any serious discussion about his future is apparently on hold until after the season.

Yet Bosh did acknowledge that he will consult his Team USA colleagues James and Wade, for advice if nothing else, before re-signing with the Raptors or orchestrating a sign-and-trade move elsewhere.

“There’s nothing wrong with picking each guys' brain to see where they’re at and how they feel,” Bosh said. “I think talking to other people [is something] that'll help you make your decision a little bit more.”

Said Wade when asked during his own taping Thursday about behind-the-scenes lobbying: “It goes on at every All-Star Weekend. It’s been going on for the last couple [All-Star] weekends. It’s always fun to recruit. Everybody’s recruiting.”

newacc
02-12-2010, 03:27 AM
He's the kind of guy you get to compliment the superstar.

Allanon
02-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Then Bosh revealed that he’s not necessarily interested in playing anywhere that he’s not the clear-cut franchise player.

I’m like, ‘Wait a minute.’ I feel like I should be built around. And maybe that’s just my ego talking, but I feel that I’m a very good player in this league and I’m only going to get better. So … maybe we should be getting somebody [in Toronto].”

Well that's really interesting.

It's always assumed Bosh would be cool being the 2nd star. But I guess he wants to be the #1 option.

namlook
02-12-2010, 04:10 AM
Bosh is #2 guy in the mold of Pau Gasol.

Ghazi
02-12-2010, 05:03 AM
A team with Bosh as its best player would have to be absolutely stacked to compete for a championship.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-12-2010, 05:14 AM
I think Bosh would be great in Chicago. Although they would lack post-scoring. But I think Rose's pentration ability would open things up like crazy for Bosh.

Rose
Hinrich
Deng
Bosh
Noah

Noah is essential here since he'll mask Bosh's weak D.

Throw in Joe Johnson or Wade would be even crazier but I don't think either of those guys leave.

Pelicans78
02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
A team with Bosh as its best player would have to be absolutely stacked to compete for a championship.

I agree. For some reason, he doesn't post up enough in the paint. Maybe its because of his frame. If he had better post skills, he could be a number one option.

ffadicted
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
What an idiot, letting his ego keep him out of championship contention

mavsfan1000
02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes he is that type of player if he is on your team. You need a defensive center to overcome his short comings. You need a good rebound for all his bricks. You need a bench to overcome his shortcomings of making the starters suck. :lol

duncan228
02-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Chris Bosh Doesn’t Want to Be Anyone’s Lieutenant (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-chrisboshdoesntwantt&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Several teams’ dream scenarios this summer involve landing two members of the vaunted 2010 free agent class. In most fantasies, one of those players is Chris Bosh, if only because a LeBron/Wade tandem would be so amazing that it’s not possible to imagine it.

But if Bosh’s latest quotes about the summer (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/13095/bosh-im-the-kind-of-player-you-can-build-around) are to be believed, some of these teams need to readjust their plans. From Marc Stein:

First Bosh scoffed at folks who think he’s already made his decision to leave the league’s only Canadian franchise. “He’s gone, it’s over, it’s done,” Bosh said in a mocking tone.

Then Bosh revealed that he’s not necessarily interested in playing anywhere that he’s not the clear-cut franchise player. […]

“It’s funny you say that, because I was thinking about it. I was just looking at what people say and it’s like, ‘Chris is going to go here and play with him or this, this and that.’ I’m like, ‘Wait a minute.’ I feel like I should be built around. And maybe that’s just my ego talking, but I feel that I’m a very good player in this league and I’m only going to get better. So … maybe we should be getting somebody [in Toronto].”

It’s hard to tell if the Toronto talk is just a case of Bosh being nice to his current team, but it’s worth noting that he has always taken to Canada better than most stars drafted into the Great White North. American media coverage of the Raptors often treats Toronto like it’s a far-off destination with a moose for a mayor, but it’s a pretty fantastic city with a lot to offer a young basketball player. Bosh realizes that and may not want to leave.

But if he does move elsewhere this summer, his comments about his star status are telling. Last season, Bosh saw a dip in his production and the subsequent loss of his superstar status. But he’s been fantastic this year in leading the Raptors to the fifth-best record in the East after a slow start. It’s hard to make an argument that Bosh isn’t one of the best big men in the league and a max player worth building around.

So while a team-up with LeBron or Wade would be exciting, it might not be what Bosh wants now that he’s regained his spot on the list of the league’s best players. Playing next to one of the league’s top three players would lead to success, but not necessarily the kind of recognition Bosh might think he deserves. Now that his reputation’s back, he wants to keep it for a while.

ChrisRichards
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Bosh is not a 1st option.

Lebron
Chris Paul
Wade
Kevin Durant
Dirk

are your 1st option players.

Bosh belongs with the rest

Bosh
Amare
P. Gasol
Joe Johnson
Boozer
Melo

Allanon
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Lebron
Chris Paul
Wade
Kevin Durant
Dirk

Bosh
Amare
P. Gasol
Joe Johnson
Boozer
Melo
Kobe

I saw that you were missing a few names and fixed the list for you.

Pelicans78
02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Kobe is a first option player.

ChrisRichards
02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
I saw that you were missing a few names and fixed the list for you.
I have a hard time putting Kobe on the 1st option list because he's declining this season. but he was a 1st option player a few years ago.

picc84
02-12-2010, 05:17 PM
What the? Gasol, the MVP of the Lakers, is a second option now?

A second option wouldn't have lead the Lakers to the title last year, and now 3 straight victories this year, would he? :nope

picc84
02-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Lebron
Chris Paul
Wade
Gasol
Kevin Durant
Dirk

Bosh
Amare
Joe Johnson
Boozer
Melo

Fixed the list.

ChrisRichards
02-12-2010, 05:18 PM
What the? Gasol, the MVP of the Lakers, is a second option now? :lol
KG was the second option in Boston in 2007-2008, but he WAS the Celtics MVP.

You fail there my sonny boy.

JamStone
02-12-2010, 05:19 PM
It's pretty clear Kobe is best suited as the 12th man on the bench and at best a third or fourth option, according to Kobe haters.

picc84
02-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Son, you see how Gasol has this team running like a well-oiled machine? 3 straight games. And don't forget the playoffs last year. He was scoring, playmaking from the perimeter, playmaking from the post, rebounding, defending the other teams best perimeter player, making all the clutch shots, calling the plays, helping the--

Oh shit wait a minute, that was the other guy. :lmao

ClippersDynasty
02-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I have a hard time putting Kobe on the 1st option list because he's declining this season. but he was a 1st option player a few years ago.

Or last year when his team won the title with him as the 1st option :lol

ChrisRichards
02-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Son, you see how Gasol has this team running like a well-oiled machine? 3 straight games. And don't forget the playoffs last year. He was scoring, playmaking from the perimeter, playmaking from the post, rebounding, defending the other teams best perimeter player, making all the clutch shots, calling the plays, helping the--

Oh shit wait a minute, that was the other guy. :lmao
True. Lakers dont even need Kobe to win it all. Even a guy like Brandon Roy could help these Lakers win a title.

ChrisRichards
02-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Or last year when his team won the title with him as the 1st option :lol
Ill give him last year. But this year, he has clearly declined. Lowest TS% of his career so far.

ClippersDynasty
02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Ill give him last year. But this year, he has clearly declined. Lowest TS% of his career so far.

Playing with a broken finger most the year can do that to you. Now that he's finally getting some rest we'll see how he does the second half of the year.

picc84
02-12-2010, 07:11 PM
True. Lakers dont even need Kobe to win it all. Even a guy like Brandon Roy could help these Lakers win a title.

As long as he knows he's second fiddle to Pau "MVP" Gasol. :hat

02-12-2010, 08:02 PM
bosh needs to be dominant on both ends to be a true franchise player. he's got the scoring and rebounding down, now he just has to play defense. otherwise, he's just a glorified carlos boozer.

duncan228
02-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Chris Bosh: ‘I Wanted to Get Stronger’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-chrisboshiwantedtoge&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
Sean Deveney
SportingNews

Chris Bosh is in the midst of his finest NBA season, and, fittingly, he will make his fifth appearance in the NBA’s All-Star Game on Sunday. He is averaging 24.4 points and 11.4 rebounds, and he has helped lead the Raptors to a 29-23 record, just four games behind the Celtics in the Atlantic Division. He spoke with Sporting News’ Sean Deveney ahead of All-Star weekend.

Sporting News: You came out with a DVD recently, First Ink, in which you are getting your back tattooed. Why did you want to make that into a documentary?

Chris Bosh: I had this opportunity to make a movie, but everything I could think of had already been done before. You know, a documentary about my life, the whole rags-to-riches story. It’s all been done. It’s played-out, for me. So I wanted to do something different.

SN: In the movie, you talk a lot about changing your body. You put on a lot of muscle this summer.

CB: It was changing the way I think. It was changing me as a person. It was a lot of things. Changing physically. It was a whole bunch of things that I wanted to change about myself. Not that I was bad in the past. It was just a time for a change for me.

SN: Why?

CB: Getting older and maturing. And, my body, I wanted to get stronger. When I watched the old replay of the 2008 Olympics, it hit me that, I was looking at Dwight Howard, and he is all muscle. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade. They’re muscle. And then I came into the game, and I am just so skinny. I wanted to change that.

SN: As far as the team goes, you’ve been playing much better, but the defense is still a question mark—you still give up triple digits a lot in games that you win. Are you OK with that?

CB: We win the game, we win the game. I can’t get too greedy. I look more at the percentages. If a team shoots 44 percent and scores 100 points, I can live with that because we play fast, we play a style that has a lot of possessions, more shots in the game.

SN: What did you learn in your two previous playoff experiences? You did not get out of the first round in either.

CB: They were quick. But you learn what pressure is really about. You learn about the spotlight, you learn how to prepare yourself, how to be prepared for every game.

SN: People in Toronto are afraid they’ll lose you to free agency. How often do you run up against that?

CB: I understand it because people here come up to me and tell me that all the time. I can’t go anywhere without someone coming up to me and saying, “What’s going to happen with you this summer?” And so I look and say, “I don’t know, man, what are you going to do this summer?” People just always want to know.

sribb43
02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
WTF have the Raptors been doing the past 5 years or so...building around CB4 and that has either gotten them no playoffs or 1st round exits

Chieflion
02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
WTF have the Raptors been doing the past 5 years or so...building around CB4 and that has either gotten them no playoffs or 1st round exits
His 2nd player was what? Jason Kapono? They suck.

ploto
02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Those sucky Raptors are 18-6 in their last 24 games and 13-1 in their last 14 home games.

ploto
02-12-2010, 09:54 PM
NBA.com Race to the MVP

4. Chris Bosh, Raptors (29-23)

G MPG PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3P% FT%
52 36.2 24.4 11.4 2.3 0.6 1.0 .526 .400 .785

Last Week's Rank - 8

Bosh finished strong for the Raptors before the break, totaling 59 points on 22-of-33 shooting with 23 rebounds and eight assists in their two most recent victories. Maybe Bosh and Durant can put a little friendly wager in play, with their rankings in The Race, when they butt heads twice this weekend (Bosh will serve as assistant coach of the second-year players in the Rookie Challenge and then, of course, will clash with Durant in the big game on Sunday.)

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/02/12/race.mvp/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

duncan228
02-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Bosh not homesick (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-allstarnotes021210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
Marc J. Spears

Toronto Raptors forward Chris Bosh has returned to his hometown of Dallas for the All-Star Game. But don’t think Bosh’s Texas ties – or Dirk Nowitzki – will help the Mavericks lure him when he’s a free agent this summer.

“Dirk is here. This is Dirk’s team. We play the same position,” Bosh said. “That’s always going to be a clash.

“Being close to home, I don’t know if that’s the best thing. I don’t know. I’m a lot more mature now. But it’s a whole different distraction than being able to play somewhere else.”

ploto
02-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Chris Bosh is supremely confident in his basketball ability and he's equally sure of himself as a salesman.

With incessant chatter about Bosh leaving the Raptors as a free agent this summer – although never from him – he said Friday he'd like a shot at attracting someone to Toronto.

"Come visit me for a weekend and then we'll talk later," he said when asked what his sales pitch would be.

But Bosh was coy when asked to describe that weekend. "Ah, go to the museums, go to the park, go out to eat, go get some shots up."

Bosh has been a big promoter of Toronto in the last couple of years and said earlier this season he feels "at home" when he comes back to his adopted hometown.

He just wishes it wasn't so hard to get major recognition for the team or the city. "It gets forgotten all the time, I don't think it's that much of a secret," he said "We don't have any national games in the States, we don't get as much attention as other teams do. I mean, we're rolling right now and I don't think anybody really knows it.

"I think it can be changed, you just have to go the extra mile."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/raptors/chrisbosh/article/764942--bosh-would-like-a-shot-at-selling-toronto-to-the-world