PDA

View Full Version : DAL/WASH trade talks heating up (nothing imminent)

badfish22
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Last night according to ESPN Wash offered Butler+Stevenson for Josh Howard and a small expiring. It was close to being done, but Cuban declined.

Now, trade talks have resumed with Haywood being included.

DALLAS -- Long-running trade talks between the Dallas Mavericks and Washington Wizards have taken a fresh twist now that the teams have discussed the prospect of packaging center Brendan Haywood to Dallas in the same deal with Wizards forward Caron Butler, according to sources close to the discussions.

Talks between the teams had stalled in the past week, partly because of Washington's insistence that the Mavericks take guard DeShawn Stevenson in any Butler deal, but the potential for acquiring two front-line players -- since Butler and Haywood would immediately become key rotation players for the Mavs -- has renewed Dallas' interest.

Sources said that such a deal, which is still in the discussion phase, would send Josh Howard and a handful of cap-friendly contracts to the Wizards and holds appeal for both sides.

It would enable Washington to truly launch its rebuilding efforts, realize significant financial relief in the midst of a disastrous season and achieve those aims without giving up forward Antawn Jamison, which is the Wizards' preference.

The possible acquisitions of Butler and Haywood, meanwhile, would be a welcome spark for the sputtering Mavericks, with Butler moving into the spot vacated by the out-of-favor Howard and Haywood arriving as another rim-protecting defensive anchor in the wake of a knee injury that has compromised the effectiveness of Mavs center Erick Dampier.

Acquiring Haywood and having the chance to re-sign him this summer would likely fill the void Dallas thought it filled last summer, when the Mavs signed Orlando center Marcin Gortat to a lucrative offer sheet, only for the Magic to unexpectedly match the offer to the restricted free agent.

Yet there are undeniable impediments to a Washington-Dallas deal. The Wizards, according to sources, would still rather make the smaller deal with Dallas reported by ESPN.com on Feb. 5: Butler and Stevenson for Howard and a small expiring contract such as James Singleton or Quinton Ross.

One source said that the Wizards, who continue to talk trades with the Houston Rockets, Portland Trail Blazers and other teams, are reluctant to part with Haywood as the deal is currently structured.

In the latest proposals exchanged by the teams, Dallas would send Howard (whose $11.8 million salary next season is a team option) to Washington and also surrender backup center Drew Gooden, along with multiple low-salaried players such as Tim Thomas, Singleton and Ross.

Washington would inevitably want prized Mavericks rookie Rodrigue Beaubois added to the deal, but Mavs owner Mark Cuban said earlier this week that his young point guard is "pretty much untouchable" as Thursday's trade deadline approaches. It is not known whether Washington would accept Mavericks guard J.J. Barea instead.

Speaking to a group of reporters Thursday, Cuban said: "We kind of know the parameters [under] which we would make a deal. If somebody meets our parameters, we'll pull the trigger. But if not, we're not going to do it. I don't see us doing something just to do something because that'll kill our flexibility this summer. But in the event that there's somebody that really upgrades our talent and really makes our team better, then maybe we'll do it."

The Rockets have also been discussing deals for the Wizards for some time and have maintained an interest in Butler and Haywood in a deal featuring Tracy McGrady's $22.5 million expiring contract.

As with the Dallas talks, though, Washington has continued to seek more than mere payroll relief from Houston. The Rockets have balked at including any of the players in their long-term plans -- such as Shane Battier, Carl Landry, Luis Scola or Kyle Lowry -- just as the Mavericks say they won't surrender Beaubois.

The Wizards have likewise repeatedly insisted that Cleveland include young power forward J.J. Hickson in a trade for Jamison, which has dissuaded the Cavs from following through on their longstanding Jamison interest.

Yahoo! Sports reported Friday that the Wizards and Boston Celtics are discussing a trade that would send Butler and Jamison to the Celtics for a package headlined by Ray Allen's $19.7 million expiring contract. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge has subsequently denied such talks, telling The Boston Globe "there is no truth" to the notion of swapping Allen for two players who could dramatically reshape the look of the Celtics.

Although one source warned Friday that it would be a mistake "to sleep on that one," another source close to the situation insisted to ESPN.com that a Boston-Washington swap looks "very doubtful" because of the considerable long-term expense Boston would be taking on -- for players who play the same positions as Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett -- and because of Washington's reluctance to part with Jamison.

"I have no control over trade rumors," Allen said via his Twitter feed. "Let's just focus on being positive. I am a Celtic. Green all day."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Come_On_Now
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Any deal that keeps us from looking like we did in that Denver game will be a godsend. Haywood / Dampier would be a pretty decent center rotation; reminiscent of the Damp (younger) / Diop (when he didn't suck) rotation we had in the Finals.

badfish22
02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Just filed to ESPN.com: Mavs-Wiz trade talks have only gotten more serious this afternoon. Many sources say sides closing in on a deal

sribb43
02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
The only way to make this team a a contender is hoping that Damps contract brings back a dominat piece in the offseason, otherwise any trades that are made now have the mavs treading water

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 05:39 PM
This is a good trade only if Haywood is involved. Also, why is Cuban balking at Deshawn Stevenson? The guy is borderline retarded but he's still better than Matt Carroll.

Although if I had my way, I'd be going after Mike Miller and not Caron Butler. Someone remind me again why we're trading an underachieving small forward that can't shoot for another underachieving small forward that can't shoot?

badfish22
02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Someone remind me again why we're trading an underachieving small forward that can't shoot for another underachieving small forward that can't shoot?

At this point, Haywood excites me more than Butler. Another defensive big man would be huge for this team. I still have hope for Butler however. We would just have to wait and see.
If JJ is headed out in this deal, that another huge +

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
At this point, Haywood excites me more than Butler. Another defensive big man would be huge for this team. I still have hope for Butler however. We would just have to wait and see.
If JJ is headed out in this deal, that another huge +

Haywood definitely is the best part of this deal. Butler doesn't suck, but he's not going to be all that significant of an upgrade over J-Ho in my opinion. Plus, Mike Miller's shooting ability would absolutely help out a team that is godawful from 3 point range.

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Butler is a very talented player and he can bring a mental toughness the Mavs need.

sribb43
02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd rather go after Miller and Haywood unfortunately both of those guys have expiring contracts and doesnt serve the Wiz purpose of sheeding salary...Wiz would probably insist on Stevenson being included. If Cubes was willing to pay for KVH and took on Abdul-Wahad's contract, then Stevenson shouldnt be a deal breaker. He already saved $$ in the short-term by dumping Humphries

Lars
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Dallas needs a low post presence, wont win w/o one. Butler doesnt do anything for them.

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Butler is a very talented player and he can bring a mental toughness the Mavs need.

Damn, did you remove Parker's dick from your mouth and replace it with Butler's? When was he a mentally tough player?

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Damn, did you remove Parker's dick from your mouth and replace it with Butler's? When was he a mentally tough player?

You are still trying to hard.

His nickname is "Tough Juice". People talk about it all the time. What is your nickname, "cumgobbler"?

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
http://my.nba.com/cms/NBA%20Player%20Blogs/The%20Real%20Juice

Oh yeah, and on my last blog post I promised I'd tell you guys about my nickname Tough Juice. Well a couple of years ago, my former coach Eddie Jordan gave me the name. With just my performance in practice and always bringing it at a high level and being able to deal with whatever adversity that was placed in front of me on the basketball court or in life. Eddie was just like "Man, you Tough Juice! I like that Tough Juice." And that's just something that stuck and everyone just took it and ran with it

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:09 PM
When Eddie Jordan was the coach he was tough. Too bad they're not trading for 2007 or 2008 Butler.

Btw - Maybe San Antonio should not use Parker more often so they can actually win games against above .500 teams like Denver.

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
When Eddie Jordan was the coach he was tough. Too bad they're not trading for 2007 or 2008 Butler.

Btw - Maybe San Antonio should not use Parker more often so they can actually win games against above .500 teams like Denver.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:lol:lol :lol:lol:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao FUCK YOU ARE SO FUCKING FUNNY. FUCK.

I guess his toughness just disappeared. I mean, playing on a shitty team that has completely unraveled has nothing to do with anything. Even though he is still playing hard.

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:18 PM
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:lol:lol :lol:lol:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao FUCK YOU ARE SO FUCKING FUNNY. FUCK.

Way to explain how I'm wrong.

Frank Lucas
I guess his toughness just disappeared. I mean, playing on a shitty team that has completely unraveled has nothing to do with anything. Even though he is still playing hard.

I agree, that 42% from the field is as hard as it gets.

badfish22
Ric Bucher said that Dallas walked away from Washingtons deal last night because they thought they had a deal for Kevin Martin, but it fell through.

sribb43
02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Mavs with a failed trade :bang

WojYahooNBA: Wizards near completion of trade that sends Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson to Dallas for Josh Howard and one other player, source says.

DPG21920
I think KMart would be a better fit because of his natural position, but Caron does add a dimension that they need.

DPG21920
Gargle**Gargle.

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I think KMart would be a better fit because of his natural position, but Caron does add a dimension that they need.

I like KMart's scoring, but he literally does nothing else on the court except score. I'm not high on Butler but overall he's a much better addition than Martin.

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Mavs with a failed trade :bang

WojYahooNBA: Wizards near completion of trade that sends Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson to Dallas for Josh Howard and one other player, source says.

No Haywood = pointless deal.

Xylus
If the Mavs don't get Haywood in this trade, then it seems like a complete waste of time to me.

Frank Lucas

What's that? Someone who plays mediocre defense and shoots a "tough" 42%.

sribb43
02-12-2010, 06:24 PM

agreed...mavs might be slightly better with Butler but not enough to jump LA or Denver. This is actually a bad trade IMO bc the mavs added another year of salary in Stevenson and Butler without getting vastly improved

DPG21920
Gargle

Dude, hurry up and guzzle that shit so we can hear what you have to say.

badfish22

If the Mavs don't get Haywood in this trade, then it seems like a complete waste of time to me.

+1 :bang

Frank Lucas
Dude, hurry up and guzzle that shit so we can hear what you have to say.

lol unable to counter my argument

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I think you guys are underrating Butler a little bit. Josh is a corpse on this Mavs team. They need new life. Yes, it is an additional year of salary, but your owner is willing to spend, so it is not that big of a deal.

Time will tell though.

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
lol unable to counter my argument

What is your argument? That 42% shooting = not tough? Is Ron Artest tough? He only shoots 42%.

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Hopefully someone who shoot's a tough 42% will make a huge difference over Josh's soft 40%. That extra 2% is huge.

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
One silver lining if Haywood isn't involved. - this may be just one piece of the puzzle. The Mavs even with Haywood don't have a realistic shot at a title.

But if part two comes this offseason using Dampier, then a Dirk/Butler/Marion/Kidd/Mystery Player lineup could absolutely compete next season.

I don't like the trade without Haywood involved, but I don't hate it either.

Frank Lucas
What is your argument? That 42% shooting = not tough? Is Ron Artest tough? He only shoots 42%.

Offensively Artest is anything but tough. He and Butler are pretty similar offensive players actually, two guys who could get to the hole but decide to hulk jumpers.

DPG21920
What does shooting have to do with toughness? Please explain in detail.

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
One silver lining if Haywood isn't involved. - this may be just one piece of the puzzle. The Mavs even with Haywood don't have a realistic shot at a title.

But if part two comes this offseason using Dampier, then a Dirk/Butler/Marion/Kidd/Mystery Player lineup could absolutely compete next season.

I don't like the trade without Haywood involved, but I don't hate it either.

Exactly. Your owner will spend money. We will see how this works.

badfish22
02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I think you guys are underrating Butler a little bit. Josh is a corpse on this Mavs team. They need new life. Yes, it is an additional year of salary, but your owner is willing to spend, so it is not that big of a deal.

Time will tell though.

Butler for Josh is a decent trade. Improves the team, but still doesn't give us a shot at legit contention. Heywood gives us the size we need to actually compete in the playoffs.
No getting Heywood would be a disappointment epically since I have gotten my hopes up

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Shooting has a lot to do with "playing hard" as you put it, if someone is playing hard, he should be shooting better than 42%.

duncan228
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Mavericks close to acquiring Butler (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wizardsmavstrade021210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

The Washington Wizards and Dallas Mavericks have neared completion on a trade that will send Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson to Dallas in exchange for Josh Howard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The teams were negotiating what other player would go back to Washington – Quinton Ross or Tim Thomas – but the talks weren’t expected to unravel the trade.

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Is DeShawn Stephenson the replacement for Antoine Wright you guys have been missing?

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Shooting has a lot to do with "playing hard" as you put it, if someone is playing hard, he should be shooting better than 42%.

You are a fucking idiot. Not only that, but you are the most butt hurt troll on SpursTalk.

Now to get to your reply:

"ROFL, cannot even counter my argument, even though I have verbal diarrhea

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
You are a fucking idiot. Not only that, but you are the most butt hurt troll on SpursTalk.

Now to get to your reply:

Stay on point. How does someone who plays hard shoot 42%?

badfish22
Hope is not lost. Stein and dallasnews still reporting that Haywood is a part of the deal.

DPG21920
Stay on point. How does someone who plays hard shoot 42%?

How does someone shooting 42% mean they are not tough?

badfish22
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Mavericks on verge of trading Josh Howard
(http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/mavericks-on-verge-of-trading-josh-howar.html)
The Mavericks appear to have agreed on the major points of a trade that will send Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross and James Singleton to Washington for Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

The deal is not done. But a source said that the pieces of the trade have been tentatively agreed upon.

The trade would require league approval, which could take until after All-Star Weekend.

The Mavericks and Wizards have been trade partners before, when Dallas acquired Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse for Antawn Jamison in 2004. That was a trade that both teams viewed as a success.

Washington apparently has become resigned to the fact that Haywood, their center who is having a solid season, would not re-sign this summer when he is a free agent.

That, plus the fact that the Wizards will save a ton of money if the deal goes down, is their motivation.

The Mavericks drafted Howard in 2003 and he has enjoyed great successes, although he has been prone to controversial moments.

He's been struggling this year to recover from off-season ankle surgery but has played well lately. Next season, his contract is a team option, which could yield a payroll savings of $11 million for the Wizards.

--Eddie Sefko

DPG21920
F'ng Mavs taking our trade ideas.

Xylus
Finally, the trades begin! I just hope the Suns aren't involved in any of them.

monosylab1k
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/mavericks-on-verge-of-trading-josh-howar.html

Mavericks on verge of trading Josh Howard
5:20 PM Fri, Feb 12, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Eddie Sefko/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips
The Mavericks appear to have agreed on the major points of a trade that will send Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross and James Singleton to Washington for Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

The deal is not done. But a source said that the pieces of the trade have been tentatively agreed upon.

The trade would require league approval, which could take until after All-Star Weekend.

The Mavericks and Wizards have been trade partners before, when Dallas acquired Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse for Antawn Jamison in 2004. That was a trade that both teams viewed as a success.

Washington apparently has become resigned to the fact that Haywood, their center who is having a solid season, would not re-sign this summer when he is a free agent.

That, plus the fact that the Wizards will save a ton of money if the deal goes down, is their motivation.

The Mavericks drafted Howard in 2003 and he has enjoyed great successes, although he has been prone to controversial moments.

He's been struggling this year to recover from off-season ankle surgery but has played well lately. Next season, his contract is a team option, which could yield a payroll savings of $11 million for the Wizards.

--Eddie Sefko

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Please let Eddie Sefko be right.

Also, wouldn't it be hilarious if James Singleton used his Bird Rights to pull a Devean George?

Xylus
If Sefko's article is accurate, that's a big win for both teams.

Frank Lucas
How does someone shooting 42% mean they are not tough?

You said Butler plays hard earlier. Don't answer my question with a question. Explain how someone who shoots 42% plays hard.

As to how Butler isn't tough - hasn't played more than 67 games since 2006, never shows up for the playoffs, loves to settle for jumpers (hence why he shoots 42%), and plays mediocre defense.

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski's Twitter basically confirms this deal is done in some form.

Butler is going to Dallas, but Wiz and Celts will continue to discuss a scaled down deal for Jamison, source says. Boston still interested.

badfish22
02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Finally, the trades begin! I just hope the Suns aren't involved in any of them.

WojYahooNBA: sources say Cavs are very involved in talks for Amar'e Stoudemire.
lol

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Look at the GOAT of mental toughness in the playoffs:

15.6 points, 40.8% shooting, and that's without factoring those DNP-yeast infection's he had in the 2007 playoffs.

Xylus
02-12-2010, 06:41 PM
WojYahooNBA: sources say Cavs are very involved in talks for Amar'e Stoudemire.
lol

Fuck!

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Fuck!

How is that a bad thing? If JJ Hickson is involved then you're getting a future Hall Of Famer!

mavsfan1000
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
If Cavs get Amare Stoudemire, Lakers and Cavs will be one heck of a series. Btw I'm also hoping the Mavs get that trade with Haywood.

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Look at the GOAT of mental toughness in the playoffs:

15.6 points, 40.8% shooting, and that's without factoring those DNP-yeast infection's he had in the 2007 playoffs.

Stay on topic. Who said he was the GOAT of mental toughness? How does not shooting well equate to lack of toughness?

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Stay on topic. Who said he was the GOAT of mental toughness? How does not shooting well equate to lack of toughness?

Not shooting well equates to lack of toughness because it means you're too much of a sissy to take the ball to the hole so you decide to hulk jumpers. Now explain how shooting 42% is playing hard.

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Not shooting well equates to lack of toughness because it means you're too much of a sissy to take the ball to the hole so you decide to hulk jumpers. Now explain how shooting 42% is playing hard.

That does not explain anything. Please go into more detail about what constitutes toughness.

I am done with this cum guzzling cunny. No more trolling.

Frank Lucas
02-12-2010, 06:48 PM
That does not explain anything. Please go into more detail about what constitutes toughness.

I'll do that after you answer my question.

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Fuck this..Mavs are getting Haywood?..ugh..

badfish22
02-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Although the deal could take until Monday to be finalized, sources said that the teams have essentially agreed on the principal pieces: Butler, Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson to Dallas for Josh Howard and Drew Gooden.

The Mavericks must add additional low-dollar contracts to the deal to make the salary-cap math work -- candidates include Tim Thomas, Quinton Ross and James Singleton -- but are not expected to surrender prized rookie guard Roddy Beaubois in the swap
-Stein

Ice009
02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Haywood is who I wanted on the Spurs.

How the fuck do Dallas pull these kind of deals off?

Oh well. GREAT TRADE Dallas if this goes through.

Allanon
02-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Amazing trade for the Mavs.

Dallas moving into a clear cut #2 West team with this trade.

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2010, 07:38 PM
The Marion signing is even worse now though..he's coming off the bench?..Butler at the 2 won't work well enough.

Still helps their depth though..

Dallas is pretty dangerous with this deal..if Butler continues to play well like he has since his early struggles, they could finally have a legit #2 option..Haywood is also one of the best post defenders in the NBA, so that will help tremendously, especially with Dampier off the bench..

Mavs could be dangerous..

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 07:39 PM
The Marion signing is even worse now though..he's coming off the bench?..Butler at the 2 won't work well enough.

We traded for Marion. Got him for basically nothing. The extension he got was horrible but everybody knew that before he put on a Mavs uniform.

j.dizzle
02-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Good trade for the Mavs if it goes through..They'll own SA even more now hahaha

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Shockingly, I'm a little concerned about Gooden leaving. He's been way better than expected, he gave great effort and would have been an ideal PF backup for Dirk. With Gooden leaving, Tim Thomas better show up.

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2010, 07:41 PM
We traded for Marion. Got him for basically nothing. The extension he got was horrible but everybody knew that before he put on a Mavs uniform.

The extension is what I meant..ya, it sucks, but whatever, he could be great off the bench, hopefully he doesn't pull his usual disappearance in the playoffs for you guys..

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 07:41 PM
And it's still a bit depressing to report that DeShawn Stevenson is our best legit 2-guard.

clambake
02-12-2010, 07:43 PM
The extension is what I meant..ya, it sucks, but whatever, he could be great off the bench, hopefully he doesn't pull his usual disappearance in the playoffs for you guys..

first, he has to show up before he can disappear.

NZ Spurs
02-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Amazing trade for the Mavs.

Dallas moving into a clear cut #2 West team with this trade.

Typical, off the cuff, message board statement. Look at how much the Spurs and Magic have suffered by adding new pieces. Simply adding more talent does not equate success. The early 2000's Jail Blazers are a good example of this.

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Typical, off the cuff, message board statement. Look at how much the Spurs and Magic have suffered by adding new pieces. Simply adding more talent does not equate success. The early 2000's Jail Blazers are a good example of this.

:lol Spur fan is in panic mode.

badfish22
02-12-2010, 07:53 PM
There might be more

We believe Dallas will also be giving a Trade Exception to Washington and taking back a player like reserve center Fabricio Oberto. In fact, we will suggest that who to take with the TE -- the candidates are those with salaries between $1.4 mil and $3 mil, Blatche, Oberto, Young and McGee -- is as much part of the debate/delay as the Ross/Thomas/Singleton question.

http://ow.ly/1oyG3T

ClippersDynasty
02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Fuck this..Mavs are getting Haywood?..ugh..

:lmao This is fan fucking tastic.

j.dizzle
02-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Son, Dallas wasnt gonna win anything with their current roster..They need a shakeup & see what happens. Its a risk worth taking

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
There might be more

We believe Dallas will also be giving a Trade Exception to Washington and taking back a player like reserve center Fabricio Oberto. In fact, we will suggest that who to take with the TE -- the candidates are those with salaries between $1.4 mil and $3 mil, Blatche, Oberto, Young and McGee -- is as much part of the debate/delay as the Ross/Thomas/Singleton question.

http://ow.ly/1oyG3T

I don't mind getting Oberto as a backup center. We'd all want Blatche but no way Washington lets him go too.

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 08:00 PM
If the Mavs could weasel Nick Young out of it then that would be massive. Probably just gonna have to take Oberto tho.

Allanon
02-12-2010, 08:01 PM

When you can get rid of team cancer like JHo, it's a good thing.

They're trading in a team problem for an upstanding citizen in Caron who can actually ball. Dirk, Kidd and now Caron make the Mavs a "professional" team.

This one's a no brainer.

Then they turn in a soft tweener player in Gooden for a real center like Haywood that has the size for the bigger teams in the West. Usually, when Dampier gets in foul trouble against bigger teams, the Mavs are done for the night.

Butler and Haywood are consistently good. JHo and Gooden are inconsistently good and bad.

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 08:04 PM
:lol Spur fan is in panic mode.

Brah, we have been in panic mode and it has nothing to do with the Mavs. This is just a kick to the junk.

sribb43
02-12-2010, 08:13 PM
:lmao at Donnie making deals with Cuban is at the celebrity game. Mark cant reject offers while he is playing. Donnie is being sneeky

Mr.ChugDynasty
02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
If the Mavs could weasel Nick Young out of it then that would be massive. Probably just gonna have to take Oberto tho.

+1 Nick Young would be a steal

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/josh-howard-dallas-mavericks-drunk-pictures1.jpg

Donnie Nelson
02-12-2010, 08:22 PM
:lmao at Donnie making deals with Cuban is at the celebrity game. Mark cant reject offers while he is playing. Donnie is being sneeky

Actually I have nothing to do with this trade. I generally shy away from doing things like adding talent to the roster because I'd rather hold onto players that are seasoned vets and know the "Maverick way".

I'm wary of Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood because they might do crazy things like slash to the basket, dunk the ball, play aggressively, and make their layups. That's not Maverick basketball.

Cuban, Carlisle and I had no knowledge of a trade being made until a few minutes ago. All I can say is that Popeye Jones is a sneaky bastard.

badfish22
02-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Actually I have nothing to do with this trade. I generally shy away from doing things like adding talent to the roster because I'd rather hold onto players that are seasoned vets and know the "Maverick way".

I'm wary of Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood because they might do crazy things like slash to the basket, dunk the ball, play aggressively, and make their layups. That's not Maverick basketball.

Cuban, Carlisle and I had no knowledge of a trade being made until a few minutes ago. All I can say is that Popeye Jones is a sneaky bastard.

:lmao

sribb43
02-12-2010, 08:26 PM

well Popeye does have D.C. connections since he did play there for a few years...props to Popeye

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1750000/images/_1750155_jordanjones300.jpg

EricB
02-12-2010, 08:42 PM
The Mavs traded away a classic Spurs killer.

Dunno how Spur fan should be gripping with this trade..

sribb43
02-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I just remembered the Butler is another very injury prone player

Allanon
02-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I just remembered the Butler is another very injury prone player

You get "injured" alot when you're a star on a shitty team.

baseline bum
02-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Wow... great trade for Dallas, especially without losing Beaubois. You'd think Washington could get a pick or something out of the deal though since Ross has a player option.

slick'81
02-12-2010, 09:02 PM
wow good trade for dallas haywood and butler for j-ho and trash nice

baseline bum
02-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Butler and Stephenson only have one more year left on their deals after this season too. There's just no risk for Dallas on this deal; Howard is beyond worthless this season.

sribb43
02-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Butler and Stephenson only have one more year left on their deals after this season too. There's just no risk for Dallas on this deal; Howard is beyond worthless this season.

thats one of the reasons why i prefered this deal than acquiring iggy and brand/dalembert of KMart

TheChillFactor
02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd rather hold onto players that are seasoned vets and know the "Maverick way".

i lol'd :rollin

Budkin
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Wow the Mavs will be a serious contender if this deal goes through... very good deal for them.

sribb43
02-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Wow the Mavs will be a serious contender if this deal goes through... very good deal for them.

i hope you mean for 2nd in the west

badfish22
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Lakers aren't invincible.

monosylab1k
02-12-2010, 10:15 PM

True, but I don't know if this trade is enough to put them on the same level as the Lakers.

But this, on top of hopefully getting another big deal out of Dampier in the offseason, should mean Dallas is a real threat to win a title next season.

mavsfan1000
02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah they are. I actually think they could win it without Kobe. Sick team that is stacked.

sefant77
02-12-2010, 10:31 PM

Still helps their depth though..

Dallas is pretty dangerous with this deal..if Butler continues to play well like he has since his early struggles, they could finally have a legit #2 option..Haywood is also one of the best post defenders in the NBA, so that will help tremendously, especially with Dampier off the bench..

Mavs could be dangerous..

Marions contract is one year too long but guess that was just the prize u had to pay that u got him.

And he wont come off the bench. I guess Terry goes back to the bench but RC will start early substitutions. Butler wont spend much time on SG because Terry will play there 30-32mins.

Kidd/Barea/Roddy
Butler 16 / Terry 32
Marion 24 / Butler 24
Dirk 36 Marion 12
Haywood 28 / Damp 20

Something like that. Good is that Butler and Marion can move up one position without a problem.

mavsfan1000
02-12-2010, 10:43 PM
This might get some excited about this trade for the mavs. http://www.82games.com/0910/0910WAS.HTM

mavsfan1000
02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Marions contract is one year too long but guess that was just the prize u had to pay that u got him.

And he wont come off the bench. I guess Terry goes back to the bench but RC will start early substitutions. Butler wont spend much time on SG because Terry will play there 30-32mins.

Kidd/Barea/Roddy
Butler 16 / Terry 32
Marion 24 / Butler 24
Dirk 36 Marion 12
Haywood 28 / Damp 20

Something like that. Good is that Butler and Marion can move up one position without a problem.
I actually wouldn't mind Butler backing up the 2 and 3. And hopefully Beaubois becomes the full time backup or maybe even starting at the 2.

MI21
02-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Nice work by the Mavs. This adds some talent on the perimeter and some all important size up front which helps in a matchup again LA/Cle.

Meanwhile, coach Pop will continue to fuck around with small ball. Sigh.

badfish22
02-12-2010, 11:35 PM
True, but I don't know if this trade is enough to put them on the same level as the Lakers.

But this, on top of hopefully getting another big deal out of Dampier in the offseason, should mean Dallas is a real threat to win a title next season.

If everything clicks just right and Dirk goes back to MVP form that he was at early this year and late last year, we can beat anyone. We just need to get lucky.

badfish22
02-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Mavericks reach tentative deal to trade Howard for Wizards' Caron Butler
09:41 PM CST on Friday, February 12, 2010

Josh Howard's tenure with the Mavericks, which began with quality production but eroded into inconsistency and controversy, is coming to an end.

The Mavericks have reached a tentative agreement to send Howard, Drew Gooden and two other players to Washington for swingman Caron Butler, center Brendan Haywood and guard DeShawn Stevenson, numerous NBA sources said Friday.

Though the deal still needs league approval, both sides have agreed on the moving parts in a trade that will cost the Mavericks more money but also brings them more talent, at least in the short run.

Butler is under contract through next season, at a cost of more than $10.5 million. He figures to slide into the role that Howard was playing, although he also could end up starting if Jason Terry is moved back to the sixth-man role.

Haywood, who is averaging 9.8 points and 10.3 rebounds, is in the final season of his contract, which pays him $6 million. The Mavericks will face the decision of re-signing him in the summer.

Stevenson has been a bit player for the Wizards and is under contract through 2010-11 at $4.1 million.

The Maverick will be sending James Singleton and Quinton Ross along with Gooden and Howard, who has had a wild 6 ½ seasons with the Mavericks.

He was an All-Star in 2007, when he averaged 18.9 points in 70 games. But that was about the time his troubles began. He admitted during the playoffs that season to using marijuana in the off-season. During that summer, he was caught on someone's cell phone video at a charity flag football game disrespecting the national anthem. This season, Howard has struggled to regain his form after ankle surgery in the summer. He has averaged 12.5 points and 3.6 rebounds, although he had begun to pick up his play in the last few games before the All-Star break.

Gooden has been a valuable asset in relief of Erick Dampier, but his $4.5 million salary was needed to make the trade work under NBA guidelines.

As word filtered out Friday that the deal was essentially done, several experts believe it is a good, aggressive deal by the Mavericks.

"It's a great trade for the Mavericks," said TNT analyst Charles Barkley. "They're going to be happy with Caron Butler. He's going to be really good with Jason Kidd."

Added NBA TV analyst Steve Smith: "They weren't going anywhere the way they were. It's going to make them better. Butler needed to get out of Washington."

Butler, 29, is averaging 16.9 points, down from his 20.8 average of last season. But he also grabs 6.7 rebounds this season. The thinking is that he was not a good fit with coach Flip Saunders' style in Washington.

Haywood is a 7-footer who averages 2.1 blocks per game and shoots better than 56 percent from the field this season.

The thinking is that the Wizards may use either Singleton or Ross, or perhaps both, to facilitate another trade.

The Mavericks, meanwhile, will have 13 players under contract, giving them space to sign another player if one is waived or they have their eye on somebody from the NBA Development League.

Chucks comment scares me. He is usually wrong on every prediction he makes

DPG21920
02-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Great move in theory imo, just have to see how it plays out.

Budkin
02-13-2010, 12:49 AM

I really think the Mavs could compete with them with this new roster... very deep bench and obviously their starters are awesome.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah they are. I actually think they could win it without Kobe. Sick team that is stacked.

:lmao With what closer? Winning regular season games is not hard. Pau still hasn't won a playoff game without Kobe.

Are all Mav fans around here as dumb as you?

sribb43
02-13-2010, 12:58 AM
:lmao With what closer? Winning regular season games is not hard. Pau still hasn't won a playoff game without Kobe.

Who is douche bag newbie?

mavsfan1000
02-13-2010, 01:08 AM

You can't admit your team is stacked in all positions? The west isn't that tough either. Maybe the Cavs could knock out a Kobe-less Lakers but Kobe doesn't need to do much for his team to win. Dirk has to do everything unfortunately.

ShoogarBear
02-13-2010, 01:11 AM
No way the Wiz shoulld have allowed themselves to get strong-armed into giving up Haywood for really no net gain.

But then, they are the freaking Wiz.

Shank
02-13-2010, 01:18 AM
No way the Wiz shoulld have allowed themselves to get strong-armed into giving up Haywood for really no net gain.

But then, they are the freaking Wiz.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AhN3Al_SBgk/S0jqlHpMZkI/AAAAAAAAAAM/BnsbQ8XD54w/s320/Arenas+Gun+Gesture.jpg

MavDynasty
02-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Man ill miss Gooden, he played like a dumbass some nights with his 1v5 offense but he scrapped for every loose ball and rebound and played his ass off.Haywood is definitely an upgrade though.

DPG21920
02-13-2010, 08:14 PM
LMFAO at the guys on TNT saying the Mavs need toughness and they got it from Caron/Haywood.

mystargtr34
02-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I said this in the other thread, this trade puts them up to Denver's level, and just behind the Lakers. If they can get something big for Dampier, which they almost certaintly will, Mavfan might have themsevles a legit contender.