PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey says Bowen isn't going to win DPOY

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Buck Harvey: Missed chance: No award for Bowen, just usual impact
Web Posted: 04/30/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA043005.1C.COL.BKNharvey.22854434c.html

San Antonio Express-News

DENVER — Bruce Bowen won't be the defensive player of the year, and there's reason to believe he never will be.

If he couldn't win the award this season — with Ron Artest out and so many of Bowen's victims out of their minds — what's the chance he will after age 33?

It's a shame. Voters missed a chance to recognize a rare defender, someone who applies more than shotblocking instincts to the defensive end, and they missed a chance to do this at precisely the right time.

Bowen is changing this series as much as a perimeter defender can.

Bowen will be disappointed when the award is announced next week and someone else wins. He's been listed as a favorite in some newspapers, and Bowen has said he thinks he deserves the trophy.

There's no clear winner, and that's true of most postseason awards. Ben Wallace and Marcus Camby, among others, also impact games on the defensive end, and Bowen gets help from the Spurs' defensive system.

Carmelo Anthony talked about that this week. He semi-praised Bowen, calling him "a fly" who annoys. "He's an agitator," Anthony said then, "and he's not going to let you get on a roll."

But then Anthony added something else. "I wouldn't say it so much is just him. I see him, I see Tim Duncan, I see Nazr Mohammed, I see all of those guys."

It's not inaccurate. The Spurs' system is based on a basic philosophy, and it fits against Anthony better than most. For example, the Spurs would rather Anthony shoot 20-footers than drive. When Anthony does penetrate, he often goes baseline, which is precisely where the Spurs want Bowen to force him anyway.

There Anthony sees Duncan, Mohammed and all those guys.

But that account isn't fair to Bowen, nor does it explain other defenders around the league. If it were this easy, wouldn't there be 50 players like Bowen?

Vince Carter knows the answer. Bowen did more than funnel Carter inside this season; he funneled Carter off the court with an ejection.

Then there's Ray Allen. Last season Allen announced Bowen played "sissy basketball," and this year Allen said Bowen didn't do even that.

"He doesn't play basketball," Allen said. "I don't know what he does. They put him out there to throw punches and throw elbows."

Forget what sportswriters do with their defensive-player-of-the-year ballots. Carter and Allen, with their frustration, have in effect already named Bowen as the winner.

Bowen doesn't throw punches, nor is he known for elbows. He simply pays attention and understands the angles and watches film. He has a book on each scorer, and Bowen also isn't without physical gifts.

Ask any scout. Bowen moves his feet as few defenders do.

He's struggled to move them as well on the other end of the floor, which never made sense. The same man who could move with Kobe Bryant couldn't begin to move like him.

Was there a worse finisher on the Spurs? A worse pull-up jump shooter?

What followed this season, then, is worth another award. Bowen kept dribbling through drills until he no longer was a liability on offense, and a sequence in January showed that. Then Bowen outscored Bryant one week and Anthony the next.

But it's as a defender where he changes the Spurs, and Duncan knows that. Duncan calls him "Elmer Bowen," as in Elmer's Glue, as in the glue of the defense.

Elmer sure sticks to Anthony now. Anthony had a key putback late in Game 1, and Anthony has kept his composure. But those are his high points, and the lows are more numerous. Anthony followed a 6-of-14, three-turnover opener with a nearly identical 5-of-14, three-turnover sequel.

"Carmelo hasn't been himself in this series," Camby said.

But it isn't just this series. Anthony is shooting 31 of 94 in six games against the Spurs this season.

The Nuggets will want more tonight, and for good reason. If they can't score in transition and they can't get much from Anthony, then where will they get points?

Bowen will react as he always has. He will move his feet, bother his opponent and change the game.

As if he were the defensive player of the year.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 12:10 AM
This is weird because apparently Ben Wallace was already told that he wasn't getting it.

If they give this award to Marcus Camby, what a frickin' joke.

T Park
04-30-2005, 12:11 AM
You gotta be kiddin me..........

Damn, Bruce is gonna come out smokin tommarow..........

Pandaemonaeon
04-30-2005, 12:16 AM
DPotY is stats-based, right? If so, I'm not surprised why Bowen gets snubbed every year.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 12:17 AM
DPotY is stats-based, right?

No. None of the awards are stat-based, it's just opinion-based votes.

infinite styles
04-30-2005, 12:25 AM
No. None of the awards are stat-based, it's just opinion-based votes.

Yeah and most of the one's who have an opinion that Bowen is just a dirty player that doesn't play D at all. I believe he deserves it for the simple fact that supposed superstars complain about him so much.

timvp
04-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Bowen isn't going to win DPOY

:td

whottt
04-30-2005, 12:26 AM
What the hell is up with this new thing of saying Bruce is only a good defender because of the Spurs system?

I am surprised to hear Bruce won't be getting it, I don't think this was his best season...but I do think he was the best defensive player in the NBA this season because of all the suspensions...and because no one really had a phenomenal statistical season on D this year. But it's no gurantee because it's voted on by the media...

Buck undermines his own cause of defending the criticisms of Bruce only being good because of Duncan and the Spurs scheme, by not mentioning that Bruce made the All NBA Defensive Team before he was ever a member of the Spurs. Bruce was a hated pest in the East before he was even on the radar to be a member of the Spurs. Maybe Buck doesn't know it.

I remember Jeff Van Gundy saying that he opened a bottle of champagne when he found out Bruce was leaving the Eastern Conference to go play for the Spurs.

T Park
04-30-2005, 12:29 AM
I gaurantee Bowen knows this.

Carmello may be lucky to get 8 points tommarow night.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2005, 12:30 AM
heh-heh....

schemen....

But seriously, 15 of 20 DPoYs have been big men and 13 of those had gaudy block numbers.

This is no surprise.

T Park
04-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Id love to know who has won it.

Its not Ben Wallace, its not Bruce Bowen.

WHO the F else???

Shaq?? Tim Duncan??

Of course if it was Duncan Harvey would have admitted it here.

Pandaemonaeon
04-30-2005, 12:33 AM
The competition is dry this season for DPotY, so if Bowen gets slighted again in favor of someone like Hughes... I don't know, maybe I'll just stomp my foot on the ground repeatedly?

whottt
04-30-2005, 12:34 AM
heh-heh....

schemen.....

Typo smack? That's a new low even for you...What's so funny?

T Park
04-30-2005, 12:35 AM
didn't think of Larry Hughes.

Damn this is really interesting.

Marcus Camby? Larry Hughes? Tim Duncan????

ChumpDumper
04-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Camby fits the profile.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Typo smack? That's a new low even for you...What's so funny?Relax, spanky. I had to think for a second if that was actually a word. It's funny in a Beavis and Butt-Head way. You have to admit that.

T Park
04-30-2005, 12:39 AM
hopefully by the time they announce this award.

The Spurs will have eliminated the Nuggets.

Im praying Kori's prediction is right.... :)

2centsworth
04-30-2005, 01:17 AM
who votes for DPOY?

If it's the opposing coaches or players, why would they want to give Bowen any credit? Don't they hate his style of play?

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 01:19 AM
who votes for DPOY?

If it's the opposing coaches or players, why would they want to give Bowen any credit? Don't they hate his style of play?

The media votes for DPOY.

j_epsilon
04-30-2005, 01:30 AM
did y'all see scottie pippen's article on nba.com? he practically bashes bruce bowen for being considered a defense player of the year candidate...

apparently busting your ass out there defending the best player on ever team every single night is not considered?...what the hell is scottie pippen looking at? he's such a dumbass...get this he picked allen iverson, lol...

you know how pop culture is...what's funny to me is that ppl, or pop cultuer ppl consider the offense the player plays as well as the defense they play, e.g. kobe bryant...it is fuucking stupid to say allen iverson is the defensive player of the year, seriously who does he threaten? all he does is whine to the refs and take 40 to 50 shots a game...this dude don't play defense, or at least better defense than bowen...i see bowen hustle back everytime to get on defense...i see bowen harrass every guy he's guarding night in and night out...apparenly ppl forgot what defense is or looks like...oh btw, scottie has mvp as shaq...STEVE NASH is mvp without a doubt imo...

polandprzem
04-30-2005, 01:44 AM
You telling me that Bowen is not a DPOY?
Than I don't know what basketball is. What defense is.

Nobody deserves more than him thos year nobody. Night after night he was just harassing the other teams (G) stars.

TDfan2007
04-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Halfway through the season I thought that Tim was a lock for DPOY, but then the injuries hit, so that went out the window.

If Bruce does not get it this year not only will he have been robbed of the award by media voters who ride Ben Wallace's nuts, but he probably will never win it at all.

NZ Spurs
04-30-2005, 02:07 AM
http://www.sahoops.net/banners/lock12.jpg

T Park
04-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Bump for human injustice.

picnroll
04-30-2005, 08:48 AM
TD needs to hang 40 on Camby for his buddy Bruce.

GrandeDavid
04-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Hopefully this disgraceful slap in the face will motivate Bruce on the floor even more.

IX_Equilibrium
04-30-2005, 09:05 AM
How does he know?

Cant_Be_Faded
04-30-2005, 12:16 PM
I just saw an article by Buck Harvey on mysanantonio.com

He was talking about how Bowen doesn't have good chances to win DPOY.

This is crap, first of all he was totally snuffed last season....Rick Carlisle and his bogus stats saw to that.

I swear to GOD if Bruce Bowen averaged 14 points a game and maybe 2 steals, he would win without a doubt. The media and voters for this award are that stupid.

KORI you gotta start up a petition or something!!!

Bruce For DPOY!!!!!

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 12:24 PM
There's no way to petition. The voting was done before the playoffs started.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Put a great defensive player on a team with a good defensive scheme and he'll play within it. That doesn't make him less great.

TroyF
04-30-2005, 12:48 PM
This is weird because apparently Ben Wallace was already told that he wasn't getting it.

If they give this award to Marcus Camby, what a frickin' joke.

Sorry, but I fail to see how Camby winning the award would be a joke. He led the league in defensive rebounds per minute, averaged 3 blocked shots, 1 steal, and was far and away the key player sparking the Nuggets second half run.

Personally? I think Bowen deserves it over Camby. I don't think you need to bash what Camby did this year to make that point though.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm not saying Camby is a bad defender. I just think when you miss 1/5 of the season, you shouldn't get awards. I don't think Duncan or Hughes should be considered for this award for the same reason -- too many missed games.

GrandeDavid
04-30-2005, 01:00 PM
There ya go, Kori!

TroyF
04-30-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm not saying Camby is a bad defender. I just think when you miss 1/5 of the season, you shouldn't get awards. I don't think Duncan or Hughes should be considered for this award for the same reason -- too many missed games.

I'll respectfully disagree. :)

I think Bowen should get it more for what he's done in his career. But Camby has been sensational this year and the fact he missed 16 games doesn't change that.

No biggie to me either way. Now if it gave us an extra win in the series for having defensive player of the year. . . then it would be war. :)

alamo50
04-30-2005, 01:30 PM
WTF does Buck know?

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 01:32 PM
WTF does Buck know?

He usually knows. At about this time of the year, the awards' winners leak to those media members who vote.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2005, 01:32 PM
WTF does Buck know?I assume he knows the voters.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-30-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't think Bowen deserves it as much this year as he did last year, this year he has gotten scortched a lot more than in years past, age probably, maybe the contact rules, but last year he was robbed.

alamo50
04-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Hmmmm, well than it's Wallace or Marion.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Wallace was already told that it's not him.

I'm guessing if it's not Bruce, then it's Camby.

alamo50
04-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Shawn Marion it is.

IcemanCometh
04-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Ai

T Park
04-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Ai wouldn't bother me.

Marcus fucking Camby would.

He couldn't stop a fucking fly.

His one on one D on Duncan was a joke.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2005, 03:48 PM
I like Marion, and his defense isn't bad, but for him to get DPOY on this year's Phoenix team would be the biggest friggin joke of all time.

Maybe Tayshuan Prince?

alamo50
04-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Who cares about Phoenix?
It's an individual award.

msufan420
04-30-2005, 04:26 PM
People are fools if they don't think Ben Wallace should have this award hands down every year...if anyone was robbed of the award last year it was him...not Bowen. How can a guy who was 2nd in rebounds, 2nd in blocks, and top 10 in steals last season not be the Defensive Player of the Year!? There is no center in the league who is quick enough to defend the pick and roll AND still be able to drop back and cover his man. Now that said...I fully understand the league not wanting to keep giving the award to the same person over and over again...Especially to a non-marketable player like Ben Wallace.

That said, Shawn Marion is a good candidate for the award. For the season he was third in the league with 11.3 rebounds per game, fourth in steals with 2 a game, and also chipped almost 1.5 blocks a night. Now I know PHX isn't really a defensive team, but these stats are more impressive when you think about the fact that Marion is playing out of position at the power foward spot.

Duff McCartney
04-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Isn't this the same Buck Harvey that predicted the Lakers would win the series in 03? What a joke.

Kori Ellis
04-30-2005, 05:41 PM
But he's not predicting in this article. He's just repeating what he's been told. But it is yet to be seen if it's true or not.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-30-2005, 07:05 PM
because the Pistons didn't go on that run of great defensive games until after Rasheed got to town, making the most important player for them defensivley iffy.

No matter how you look at it the yardstick is a nebulous one.

whottt
04-30-2005, 07:24 PM
I think AI is gonna get it...this is like the 4th time in his career that he's lead the NBA in total steals...I think that's a record.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Sorry, but I fail to see how Camby winning the award would be a joke. He led the league in defensive rebounds per minute, averaged 3 blocked shots, 1 steal, and was far and away the key player sparking the Nuggets second half run.

Personally? I think Bowen deserves it over Camby. I don't think you need to bash what Camby did this year to make that point though.

We are not bashing Camby. Or at least I wouldn't. The guy is a good defender, good player.

But re-gurgitated statistical crap should not influence this award. Defense is not rebounds, blocks or steals imho.

It's keeping your man from doing his thing.

I am heavily biased, I watch mostly spurs games. But comparing teams that I have seen play (the spurs play other teams all season) noone comes close to doing the damn thing like Bowen does.

Noone.
I personally hope Bowen uses this as fire to make Carmello look like a high school freshman tonight.

T Park
04-30-2005, 07:47 PM
I hope that Bowen uses this as a fireup.

I could see it going either way.

GoSpurs21
04-30-2005, 08:31 PM
induvidual awards are meaningless (expect finals MVP)
I'm sure Bruce would prefer another ring to DPY award

Cant_Be_Faded
04-30-2005, 08:38 PM
......................................naturally