PDA

View Full Version : Don't the Spurs already have a defensive big?

toki9
02-12-2010, 05:19 PM
In Ratliff? Can the Spurs really do better in the trade market than Ratliff given what they'll have to give up?

Dex
02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Maybe Pop has been cunningly preserving him until after the All-Star break...

but probably not. :(

z0sa
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, Ratliff rotting on the bench while we play small ball for long stretches is just another CIA Pop genius future HOFamer move.

lurker23
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
In Ratliff? Can the Spurs really do better in the trade market than Ratliff given what they'll have to give up?

It's a very valid question. I, and many others, hoped that Pop would play Ratliff more minutes before the trade deadline, so we knew what we needed and what we already had. Perhaps we'll find out in the next couple of months, but it's hard to say. From the limited minutes Theo has played, I'd say he could be very serviceable as a defensive big for this team.

CGD
02-12-2010, 05:29 PM
I've wondered about this myself. My (uncorroborated) theories are that (1) Theo is hurt, and (2) Blair is making it really hard for Pop to justify reducing his minutes in order to make time for Theo.

This said, I expect to see him more in the second half of the season.

toki9
02-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm hoping that Pop's been saving Ratliff given his history with injuries. Using Bonner and Ratliff for Offense/Defense purposes based on match up might not be all that bad (I think).

Spursmania
02-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't understand why the Spurs picked up Ratliff if they weren't going to use him. It just makes no sense.

Bruno
02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Ratliff is playing damn few minutes this year. Either Pop is being really careful with him or Ratliff will play a very limited role during the playoffs.

angelbelow
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
would be nice if we could make a play for haywood

Lackluster
02-12-2010, 05:57 PM
i'm just hoping ratliff is comfortable enough with the spurs defense when and if his number is called in a playoff game. hopefully he's getting some decent run in practice. i could see pop inserting him into his rotation a little more as the season winds down.

he seems to be as efficient as ever though with his shotblocking and rebounding. he's so much more agile than i expected him to be. didn't he have 2 blocks in 8 or so minutes of play the other night?

spurs10
02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
If Pop isn't going to use them in games like the Lakers, where their bigs completely killed us, then I doubt there is some great post All-Star break plan. It's a little harder to get a layup on a 7 footer than a small. I'm sure Pop has his reasons, maybe he is saving Theo, I just can't figure it out.

Cane
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Theo isn't our defensive big because he's 36 years old -however he's the guy that can sub in for our defensive big (that we're hopefully trying to get in a trade). Ignoring Ratliff's injury history, you just can't expect to play an old big that many minutes especially against younger legs. On top of that you want to save him for playoffs particularly against a healthy LA frontcout.

I think the Spurs really suffer from not playing Duncan heavily in the regular season - I'm not saying I don't agree with the strategy but he's our anchor. But probably more importantly the entire team has been disappointing on the defensive end although their recent win was a welcome relief from that trend.

murpjf88
02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Theo isn't our defensive big because he's 36 years old -however he's the guy that can sub in for our defensive big (that we're hopefully trying to get in a trade). Ignoring Ratliff's injury history, you just can't expect to play an old big that many minutes especially against younger legs. On top of that you want to save him for playoffs particularly against a healthy LA frontcout.

I think the Spurs really suffer from not playing Duncan heavily in the regular season - I'm not saying I don't agree with the strategy but he's our anchor. But probably more importantly the entire team has been disappointing on the defensive end although their recent win was a welcome relief from that trend.

Somebody had to say it.

ElNono
02-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Wait, so we're saving him to play him heavy minutes against a young Laker frontcourt... I mean, that makes no sense.

Duncan plays about 32 minutes. Blair, Dice and Bonner can easily share 48 minutes. Ratliff would only need to play 16 minutes. I don't think that's heavy minutes at all.

Duncan is simply not the defender he once was, which makes it twice as important to find him some real help manning the paint. This is not new either. It's been like this since at least last season.

My Fault
02-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Ratliff is playing damn few minutes this year. Either Pop is being really careful with him or Ratliff will play a very limited role during the playoffs.

IMO Pop knows his history with injuries and is preserving him for the playoffs. He already knows what he has in Theo.

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I like Ratliff and I would like to see him play once in a while to see what he can give us, but relying on a 43 year old to be our secondary defensive big is too dangerous..

honestfool84
02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
i have a feeling Pop has been holding him till after the All Star break.

ElNono
02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I like Ratliff and I would like to see him play once in a while to see what he can give us, but relying on a 43 year old to be our secondary defensive big is too dangerous..

:lol

I agree that if we could trade for somebody younger and more reliable, we should.

sa_kid20
02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
IMO Pop knows his history with injuries and is preserving him for the playoffs. He already knows what he has in Theo.

This is what I hope Pop has been doing all along, but honestly I have no idea whats gonna happen with Theo.

quentin_compson
02-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I guess playing Theo a little bit more couldn't hurt. No one in their right mind would say he is the saviour as the defensive big next to Tim, but hell, why not have a shot blocking presence and some experienced size out there for more than 9 minutes per game?

TD 21
02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't see Ratliff ever fully breaking into the rotation. Whether the Spurs acquire Thomas or someone of that ilk or not, Blair cementing himself as the clear cut third big has changed things. I have no way of knowing this, but my guess is Pop originally thought Blair would be inconsistent and eventually, like post All-Star break, he would slowly but surely remove him from the rotation (ala Hill) and work Ratliff into shape for the playoffs. But after being burned by dropping Hill from the rotation late last season, I doubt Pop does this again.

Pop has an aversion to playing two non-shooting bigs together, so forget about Ratliff taking Bonner's spot in the rotation. If anything, once Bonner inevitably struggles late in the season/in the playoffs (should the Spurs qualify), I think we're more likely to see a three big rotation than a Blair-Ratliff pairing.

Either way, with Bonner or Ratliff in the rotation, the Spurs are deficient in one area; shooting or defense. This explains the interest in Thomas. While not a three point threat and hardly a consistent mid range shooter, he's a capable, improving mid range shooter and an outstanding shot blocker, with phenomenal athleticism/quickness.