PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs notebook: Spurs' Mason stays cool amid trade talk

duncan228
02-13-2010, 03:21 AM
Spurs' Mason stays cool amid trade talk (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Mason_stays_cool_amid_trade_talk.html)
Jeff McDonald

Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. has heard no specific buzz, no credible piece of NBA intelligence that tells him he might be on his way out of town. In recent days, coach Gregg Popovich has hinted the Spurs might stand pat and let Thursday's trade deadline pass without incident.

Still, Mason can't wait until D-Day has come and gone.

“I want to be in San Antonio for my career,” Mason said. “I want to win a championship here. That would be the ultimate.”

Mason, however, is wise enough to know basketball is a business and some things are out of his control.

If the Spurs aim to make a move — if they aim to pry disgruntled forward Tyrus Thomas from Chicago, for instance — Mason's name will almost certainly be involved.

He has an expiring contract worth $3.78 million, an attractive chip to a trade partner looking to cut payroll. Other prominent Spurs with expiring deals include Matt Bonner ($3.25 million), Michael Finley ($2.5 million) and Manu Ginobili ($10.7 million), though the odds of the Spurs moving Ginobili appear slim.

That won't stop the rumors from swirling over the next several days. Mason was at the eye of them last season, too, his name surfacing in talks with New Jersey about Vince Carter.

“If something happens, it happens,” Mason said. “You can't really worry about it or control it. I can only control what I can, and that's to help this team win.”

A real pro: With Tony Parker sidelined again Thursday at Denver, Mason drew his third start of the season, and second against the Nuggets. This one went better than the last.

Mason scored 14 points and hit four 3-pointers, helping to spark the Spurs to a 111-92 victory heading into the All-Star break. In his previous start against Denver, in a Jan. 31 loss in San Antonio, Mason went 1 for 6 with two points.

Mason's minutes have swung wildly this season, and he admits it's been difficult to find a groove. Popovich said he has been pleased with Mason's professionalism in amid a trying season.

“That's his job,” Popovich said. “Guys get paid a lot of money to go play. It doesn't matter when you play, or how many minutes. I expect them to give everything they have when they're called upon.”

No distraction: Against Denver, George Hill shook off another injury to Parker and an unseemly trip through the Internet tabloids to produce the latest in a string of solid outings.

Playing for the first time since apologizing for a set of year-old nude photos of him that had surfaced on the Web, Hill filled in ably for Parker at the point, totaling 17 points, four assists, six rebounds and two steals.

Asked if the Internet incident had been a distraction for him, Hill simply said, “Nah.”

polandprzem
02-13-2010, 03:38 AM
“That's his job,” Popovich said. “Guys get paid a lot of money to go play. It doesn't matter when you play, or how many minutes. I expect them to give everything they have when they're called upon.”

Wow Pop made it clear - go and play stop whining that it's tough to have not consistent minutes

HAITAO
02-13-2010, 07:12 AM
The deal won't happen

CGD
02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
As a UVa guy myself I'd hate to see RMJ go, especially since I think he can be a quality piece on a championship team. But "biz-is-biz" and I something tells me he's out.

silverblackfan
02-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I like RMJ. He has been steadily improving every since he got here. He has shown much better defense and ball handling this year and continues to be a great threat of the screen. He is not afraid to shoot his wicked fast 3 point shot, which makes the other team nervous. And best of all, he is actually passing the ball pretty well to Blair and company.
The guy has done everything the team has asked of him. I hope he stays a Spur.
I would hate it if the Spurs found a diamond in the rough, improved him, and then let him go, but it's a business.

benefactor
02-13-2010, 12:03 PM
“I want to be in San Antonio for my career,” Mason said. “I want to win a championship here. That would be the ultimate.”
Mason is just saying what he wants everyone to hear with this statement...and I don't blame him because I wouldn't want to go to a rebuilding Bulls team either.

Mason said himself in a article(someone will have to find it because I can't) that he structured his contract with 2010 in mind. If he expects to get a raise out of the Spurs he is going to be disappointed, because his overall play hasn't warranted one. The Spurs are better off pushing hard for the Thomas trade to at least get something out of him before he walks this summer.

Mark in Austin
02-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Jeez. Pop getting a little testy. Usually his snark is directed at reporters, not his players.

EricB
02-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Jeez. Pop getting a little testy. Usually his snark is directed at reporters, not his players.

That was directed at reporters.....

afireinside20
02-13-2010, 03:18 PM
I like RMJ. He has been steadily improving every since he got here. He has shown much better defense and ball handling this year and continues to be a great threat of the screen. He is not afraid to shoot his wicked fast 3 point shot, which makes the other team nervous. And best of all, he is actually passing the ball pretty well to Blair and company.
The guy has done everything the team has asked of him. I hope he stays a Spur.
I would hate it if the Spurs found a diamond in the rough, improved him, and then let him go, but it's a business.

Sorta like the Stephen Jackson debacle. :p:

CGD
02-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Sorta like the Stephen Jackson debacle. :p:

... and to a minor degree, Hedo.

lennyalderette
02-13-2010, 05:37 PM
See guys this is where we passed on dice like 5yrs ago, and other players we acquire, this is it we need to go get tyrus thomas!!!!!!
Imagine if we pass on him we may never have an opportunity like this ever again!! they want stuff off the books for thomas!!! c'mon pull the trigger!!!! As long as we dont get rid of the heart (manu,timmy) then were good.