PDA

View Full Version : #2 - Charles Woodson

j-6
02-13-2010, 10:40 AM
http://thefreshxpress.com/freshxp/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/charles_woodson.jpg

(What's up with low numbers and Michigan, by the way?)

I really wanted to put Deion Sanders here, but then realized that there's a lot more to Woodson's candidacy than at first glance. First, Woodson won a national title during his Heisman year, and swept damn near every major trophy awarded. He also played both ways - which Deion was doing in the NFL at the same time - and I really don't think anyone can question that he was the heart and soul of an undefeated national champion. Deion had none of that going for him - part of being a Seminole during Miami's rule at the top.

I have a huge soft spot for David Palmer - the first Wildcat QB I can remember, and the reason I read the history of Alabama football as a kid. But I guess it is what it is, and a Texas guy starts with two straight Wolverines.

That said...

Woodson was the first player I ever watched, if you know what I mean. I'd never watch college football just to see one guy perform, like people did with Jordan back then. I'd turn on the random Michigan game with my roommates in our ratty Austin apartment just to see what the hell he was going to do, and they'd go watch the SEC or Notre Dame games. I'd yell into the other room that he was in at WR and they'd come running. My research on this shows he loves Michigan as much as their fanbase loves him as he just gave the school two million bucks recently to help cure baby cancer or something.

Oh, and Spielman jersey guy from the BFE thread hates his fucking guts. They never beat a Woodson team.

Career stats: 182 tackles, 18 interceptions, 25 receptions for 402 yards and 3 TD's, 11 rushes for 173 yards and 2 TD's.

(Note - I was very surprised to see that he never ran an INT back.)

=========================================

Also considered: Deion Sanders, Florida State; David Palmer, Alabama.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Guy was unbelievable.

I'm an MSU alum and was 10 beers deep at BWs in EL when this play happened:

jk5u20AuXkE

Their was a collective Holy Shit! from the rival crowd.

mookie2001
02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
vondrell mcgee just missed out

Blake
02-14-2010, 02:28 PM
vondrell mcgee just missed out

so did Chris Simms

pkbpkb81
02-21-2010, 04:46 PM
so did Chris Simms

Simms was the best qb to ever put on the ut helmet damn he use to scare me before the rrso. He needs to be on this list. Lol

scottspurs
03-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Charles Woodson is the easy choice in my opinion and I am a huge Deion fan. Sterling Sharpe should of also been in consideration. Screw Chris Simms the worst to ever wear the number.

scottspurs
03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
The best to ever wear #2 for the University of Texas is Defensive Back Jerry Gray