PDA

View Full Version : Are the Mavs more stacked then the Lakers?!

TheMACHINE
02-14-2010, 02:05 AM
Seems like it. Discuss.

Jason Kidd
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion
Dirk Nowitzki
Brenden Haywood

Deshawn Stevenson
Jason Terry
Erick Dampier
Eduardo Najera
Tim Thomas
Jose Barea
Rodrigue Beaubois
Matt Carroll

VS.

Derek Fisher
Kobe Bryant
Ron Artest
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum

Lamar Odom
Shannon Brown
Jordan Farmar
Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
Adam Morrison
Josh Powell
Sasha Vujacic
Luke Walton

ChrisRichards
02-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Lakers are top heavy but Mavericks are deeper (on paper). Whether its a good mix in Dallas, we'll soon find out. I still think the Lakers are the team to beat in the West. Now if Cleveland gets Amare, then y'all can forget about repeating.

MavDynasty
02-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Lakers have more players who can create a shot. From a 1-12th man standpoint I think the Mavs are more deep but LA has more talent even with the end of the bench scrubs

badfish22
02-14-2010, 02:13 AM
no.

Def Rowe
I still feel like the Mavs lack defense in the paint.

ChrisRichards
Holy fucking shit the Mavs are really deep lol. You have Shawn Marion coming off the bench for Caron Butler? Those are two All Star caliber players. And they no longer have to tolerate Dampier's incompetent ass. he's coming off the bench too to back up a center suited for the Mavs. Brendan Haywood is going to tear up some ass in the West.

TheMACHINE
02-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Haywood is the cat that scares me. I have him on my fantasy bball team and he is a beast. Him and Dampier in the center position just made it harder for the Lakers to repeat.

LkrFan
02-14-2010, 02:16 AM
No - they are not. Kidd cannot play 48 mpg anymore. If he could, I would worry... a little. Kidd can orchestrate their offense and get their shooters and finishers the ball in their sweet spots.

That being said they still don't have enough to get past LA. We've seen these last 3 games (without Kobe) what our team can do. Most importantly, so did Kobe.

Back on topic. Let's look at the matchups:

Kidd >>> Fish
Kobe >>> Caron
Artest > Marion
Pau > Dirk
Bynum > Brendan

Farmar > JJ Barea
Terry > Shannon
Luke > Matt Carroll
LO >>> Tim Thomas
Dampier > Mbenga

Lakers take 7 of the 10 matchups plus we have players that have been in the same system from 2.5 - 10 years (which is good for chemistry).

LA would take this Mavs team out in 6 at worst IMO.

ChrisRichards
02-14-2010, 02:17 AM
Lakers have more players who can create a shot. From a 1-12th man standpoint I think the Mavs are more deep but LA has more talent even with the end of the bench scrubs
Negative.

Lakers that can create shots

Kobe
Farmar
Gasol
Odom

Mavs that can create shot

Dirk
Kidd
Marion
Terry
Stevenson
Butler

badfish22
02-14-2010, 02:17 AM
No - they are not. Kidd cannot play 48 mpg anymore. If he could, I would worry... a little. Kidd can orchestrate their offense and get their shooters and finishers the ball in their sweet spots.

That being said they still don't have enough to get past LA. We've seen these last 3 games (without Kobe) what our team can do. Most importantly, so did Kobe.

Back on topic. Let's look at the matchups:

Kidd >>> Fish
Kobe >>> Caron
Artest > Marion
Pau > Dirk
Bynum > Brendan

Farmar > JJ Barea
Terry > Shannon
Luke > Matt Carroll
LO >>> Tim Thomas
Dampier > Mbenga

Lakers take 7 of the 10 matchups plus we have players that have been in the same system from 2.5 - 10 years (which is good for chemistry).

LA would take this Mavs team out in 6 at worst IMO.

Im assuming this is a troll......

TheMACHINE
02-14-2010, 02:18 AM
Negative.

Lakers that can create shots

Kobe
Farmar
Gasol
Odom

Dirk
Kidd
Marion
Terry
Stevenson
Butler

agree....but take marion off that list.

Bob Lanier
I still feel like the Mavs lack defense in the paint.
From a fan of the team whose best defensive big is Lamar Odom, that's not necessarily helpful.

ChrisRichards
Haywood is the cat that scares me. I have him on my fantasy bball team and he is a beast. Him and Dampier in the center position just made it harder for the Lakers to repeat.
Hye man, are those your shoes on your avatar?

badfish22

Dirk
Kidd
Marion
Terry
Stevenson
Butler

:lmao

LkrFan
02-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Im assuming this is a troll......
Nope - just a confident Laker fan since 1983. Were you born then? :lol

Ice009
02-14-2010, 02:20 AM
I have no idea who I would go for in a 7 game series.

Dallas made a great trade.

TheMACHINE
Hye man, are those your shoes on your avatar?

i have the shoes, but those arnt specifically mine. Same goes for the All star Kobes on my sig.

redzero
Good, maybe they will choke again in the playoffs instead of just losing to the better team.

ChrisRichards
02-14-2010, 02:21 AM
:lmao
Maybe not Marion, but Kidd can still create shots, just not like he used to. And why the fuck are you lauging at Stevenson? I live in DC bitch and watch this guy play all the time. His efficiency sucks but the dude can flat out score inside-out.

ChrisRichards
i have the shoes, but those arnt specifically mine. Same goes for the All star Kobes on my sig.
Not bad. I dont like them yellows on shoes, but those look nice.:toast

badfish22
Nope - just a confident Laker fan since 1983. Were you born then? :lol

Being confident is great, and you should be. Lakers are the big dogs in the West. But dont be stupid. How is the difference between Caron and Kobe the same as the difference between Kidd and Fisher. Fisher blows. And :lmao at Pau>Dirk. Only lakerfan....

bostonguy
02-14-2010, 02:23 AM
Now if Cleveland gets Amare, then y'all can forget about repeating.

If the Cavs get Amare, you can start the dynasty talks. That is the perfect recipe the Cavs need if they want to be built for the long haul. They can replace all the other guys.

Rogue
02-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Kidd >>> Fish
Kobe >>> Caron
Artest > Marion
Pau > Dirk
Bynum > Brendan

Farmar > JJ Barea
Terry > Shannon
Luke > Matt Carroll
LO >>> Tim Thomas
Dampier > Mbenga

Pau > Dirk :wakeup

badfish22
02-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Maybe not Marion, but Kidd can still create shots, just not like he used to. And why the fuck are you lauging at Stevenson? I live in DC bitch and watch this guy play all the time. His efficiency sucks but the dude can flat out score inside-out.

Thinking about it, Marion can probably create his own shot more than Kidd. Marions been doing some post moves lately. Literally all the points Kidd gets are set up jumpers. Usually from Dirk kicking it out to him. He cannot create his shot.

I've heard from Wizard fans that Stevenson is fucking atrocious. hes shooting 28% from the floor and 17% from three. He probably wont get any playing time.

TheMACHINE
02-14-2010, 02:26 AM
Not bad. I dont like them yellows on shoes, but those look nice.:toast

Yah those are the Kobe V's Bruce Lee Editions...those red marks in the front of the shoe replicate the 4 scratches on Bruce Lee's face.

LkrFan
02-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Being confident is great, and you should be. Lakers are the big dogs in the West. But dont be stupid. How is the difference between Caron and Kobe the same as the difference between Kidd and Fisher. Fisher blows. And :lmao at Pau>Dirk. Only lakerfan....
Things that Pau does better then Dirk

Better in the post
Better rebounder
Better swatter
Better passer
Better defender
Win a championship

Things Dirk does better than Pau

Shoot the 3
Shoot jumpers
Not win a championship

Pau can play center. Dirk? :lol Dirk is a jumpshot shooting 7 footer. Avery begged him to get on the block. So much that Dirk refused and y'all were "upset" by the Warriors.

To each his own. Laker fan or not, give me Pau 24/7 over offensive minded Dirk. Actually, take the D out. He is _irk to me.

ffadicted
02-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Garbage

This guy needs to watch more basketball :lol

ChrisRichards
02-14-2010, 02:32 AM
Thinking about it, Marion can probably create his own shot more than Kidd. Marions been doing some post moves lately. Literally all the points Kidd gets are set up jumpers. Usually from Dirk kicking it out to him. He cannot create his shot.

I've heard from Wizard fans that Stevenson is fucking atrocious. hes shooting 28% from the floor and 17% from three. He probably wont get any playing time.
See, yeah, we agree. Sorta lol.

But yeah, you're right about Stevenson's numbers, his efficiency does blow, maybe its the system, or maybe everything just sucks in Washington right now, thats why most players are shooting career lows . But he's a pretty good insurance off the bench. He was decent abt 2-3 years ago against Cleveland and did a great job defending Bron on some occassions (Bron shot 42% in that series), Im not saying he shut Bron down but again, he held his own numerous times.

Pelicans78
Dirk is a better scorer than Pau, but he doesn't post up well in the paint as Pau. Basically I don't think one would have the advantage over the other.

Also, Bynum > Haywood, Kobe >>> Butler. Marion > Artest. Kidd > Fisher. Terry > Brown, Odom > anyone else on Mavs bench, but the rest of the bench may go to Dallas.

Difference maybe Kobe and Pau/Dirk.

badfish22
This guy needs to watch more basketball :lol

But Pau has a ring!

TheMACHINE
02-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Dirk is a better scorer than Pau, but he doesn't post up well in the paint as Pau. Basically I don't think one would have the advantage over the other.

Also, Bynum > Haywood, Kobe >>> Butler. Marion > Artest. Kidd > Fisher. Terry > Brown, Odom > anyone else on Mavs bench, but the rest of the bench may go to Dallas.

Difference maybe Kobe and Pau/Dirk.

I think Bynum=Haywood in terms of rebounds and defense and Marion = Artest. Everything else i agree on.

LkrFan
02-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Pau > Dirk :wakeupIgnoring the points because we know Pau won't get the same looks that _irk gets because of Kobe:

Pau
11.2 rpg
3.5 apg
1.8 bpg
52.4% FG
80% FT

_irk
7.7 rpg
2.4 apg
1.1 bpg
47.6% FG
89% FT

So again, we've seen what Pau can do. Back to back 21/19/5block games all in a 3 game win streak against playoff teams without Kobe.

Yeah, Pau > _irk.

dirk4mvp
02-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Pau can play center.

Last time Pau tried to play C, the Lakers got poked in the butt by Boston.

ChrisRichards
02-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Things that Pau does better then Dirk

Better in the post
Better rebounder
Better swatter
Better passer
Better defender
Win a championship
Things Dirk does better than Pau

Shoot the 3
Shoot jumpers
Not win a championship
Pau can play center. Dirk? :lol Dirk is a jumpshot shooting 7 footer. Avery begged him to get on the block. So much that Dirk refused and y'all were "upset" by the Warriors.

To each his own. Laker fan or not, give me Pau 24/7 over offensive minded Dirk. Actually, take the D out. He is _irk to me.

Dirk was a former MVP who led a team to the Finals. Pau is good, Top 10 good IMO, but he aint no Dirk. And that's not a diss on Gasol. I do agree that Pau is a better rebounder and defender though. Absolutely.

Pelicans78
02-14-2010, 02:39 AM
I do think Pau's game makes the rest of his teammates better compared to Dirk because of his presence in the post and passing, etc., but Dirk is really hard to guard defensively.

ChrisRichards
02-14-2010, 02:41 AM
I do think Pau's game makes the rest of his teammates better compared to Dirk because of his presence in the post and passing, etc., but Dirk is really hard to guard defensively.
True. because Gasol does'nt really emphasize scoring. He's a great player because he touches all aspects of the game. He'll score for you, cleans the glass, swats and is always a willing passer. True student of the game no diggity doubt.

LkrFan
02-14-2010, 02:44 AM
Last time Pau tried to play C, the Lakers got poked in the butt by Boston.
Get your facts right. The last time Pau played center, he helped hold D12 in check and won a ring. Remember, Bynum was 65% at best and was always in foul trouble.

The Pau trade shook up the world. You guys traded your future PG for old as Kidd. SA did some dumb junk too (like acquire Jefferson). Etc. Pop wasn't PO'd for nothing when he saw the Lakers trade for Gasol - knowing that Bynum was coming back.

LkrFan
02-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Dirk was a former MVP who led a team to the Finals. Pau is good, Top 10 good IMO, but he aint no Dirk. And that's not a diss on Gasol. I do agree that Pau is a better rebounder and defender though. Absolutely.
_irk won MVP the year he couldn't get past his old coach in the biggest "upset" in league history. Some "MVP"

:lol

ChrisRichards
02-14-2010, 02:51 AM
_irk won MVP the year he couldn't get past his old coach in the biggest "upset" in league history. Some "MVP"

:lol
Bad matchup? Sure. How the hell can you pin this on one guy?

Did'nt Kobe got an ass whoopin from the Celtics when he won MVP that year? Should we blame Kobe? Hell no. One player does'nt make the team son.

dirk4mvp
02-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Who's troll is this?

LkrFan
02-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Bad matchup? Sure. How the hell can you pin this on one guy?

Did'nt Kobe got an ass whoopin from the Celtics when he won MVP that year? Should we blame Kobe? Hell no. One player does'nt make the team son.
Kobe was in the Finals and was hardly the reason we lost. We were without 2 starters. What was _irk's excuse?

Pelicans78
02-14-2010, 02:58 AM
I do think Dirk could have done more that series like how Boozer destroyed the Warriors in the paint, but he needed more help as well. Plus the Warriors had some serious scorers on their team as well and they were all hot. Honestly Golden State choked the first two games away at Utah which crippled their chances in the series. They could have easily won that series.

Allanon
02-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Mavs have always had a stacked team. Their problem was chemistry.

This trade will improve their chemistry and professionalism.

HarlemHeat37
02-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Deeper? sure..the Lakers have a huge advantage at the top though..Pau and Dirk are pretty equal and then the Lakers have the 2nd best player in the NBA to top it off, and a notorious Mav killer..that's where the Lakers' advantage kills Dallas IMO..

Dirkadirkastan
02-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Pau > Dirk

Pau looks so cute when he tries to win a playoff game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQXTrm6A2Q) as the franchise player.

picc84
02-14-2010, 04:57 AM
Haywood < Bynum
Dirk > Gasol
Butler > Artest
Jet < Kobe
Kidd > Fisher

Mavs bench = Odom, Farmar, and Brown

crc21209
02-14-2010, 04:59 AM
The Nuggets, yes the Nuggets, still have a better shot at beating the Lakers right now than the Mavs do. But after the Nuggets, the Mavs have the next best chance after this trade now.

DAF86
02-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Who's troll is this?

You don't have to be a troll to say and actually bealive that Pau Gasol is a better player than a 7 footer that shoots less than 50% from the field, gets less than 10 rbds per game and isn't a presence inside?

LkrFan
02-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Pau looks so cute when he tries to win a playoff game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQXTrm6A2Q) as the franchise player.That was 4 years ago lol. Pau is the 2nd fiddle on a championship team and still has franchise talent.

But let's see _irk do that to Pau's team now. :nope

MiamiHeat
02-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Lakers who can create a shot :

kobe
artest
lamar
pau
bynum
farmar

who am i missing? that original list someone made was bogus, left out bynum and artest

TheMACHINE
02-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Lakers who can create a shot :

kobe
artest
lamar
pau
bynum
farmar

who am i missing? that original list someone made was bogus, left out bynum and artest

Artest?! create his own shot...not on the Lakers...if you watch Artest, he dribbles in and gets blocked like half the time. lol

BUMP
02-14-2010, 09:21 AM
this is why i didnt panic when we ost 5 out of the last 7 cause i knew that Cubes would make a trade if we started struggling.

This is the deepest Mavs team i've ever seen. Marion and Erick Dampier off the bench? :lol

ChrisRichards
02-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Artest?! create his own shot...not on the Lakers...if you watch Artest, he dribbles in and gets blocked like half the time. lol
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin@Artet creating his own shot

Double-Up
02-14-2010, 09:26 AM
No they aren't but now they can at least compete with them and who knows they might even get lucky and win which I really wouldn't mind at this point.

mavsfan1000
02-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Not quite. We still need a point guard and a 2 guard (Butler is really a SF). Our frontcourt is amazing though.

mavs>spurs2
02-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Wish we still had Humphries for more depth

Come_On_Now
02-14-2010, 01:09 PM
The Mavs best hope is that Roddy develops into a good PG quickly. Then just let the dude loose, it would be Derek Fisher's worst nightmare.

badfish22
02-14-2010, 01:51 PM
The Mavs best hope is that Roddy develops into a good PG quickly. Then just let the dude loose, it would be Derek Fisher's worst nightmare.

+1. Carlisle needs to pull his head out of JJs ass and start playing Roddy. That would be a huge weapon in the playoffs.

mavsfan1000
02-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Or trade Beaubois and Dampier for Wade. I just vomited inside by saying that though.

djohn2oo8
02-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Or trade Beaubois and Dampier for Wade. I just vomited inside by saying that though.

Damn it, I wish you were serious :lol

Dirkadirkastan
02-14-2010, 03:10 PM
You don't have to be a troll to say and actually bealive that Pau Gasol is a better player than a 7 footer that shoots less than 50% from the field, gets less than 10 rbds per game and isn't a presence inside?

This is an incredibly stupid evaluation of a franchise player.

badfish22
02-14-2010, 03:11 PM

You must be new here......

mavs>spurs2
02-14-2010, 03:14 PM

it's a troll, spurstalk is notorious for them, usually i'd let a noobie just get trolled and laugh but you seem to be a fellow mav fan and decent poster, so i'm giving you a heads up

DAF86
02-14-2010, 05:49 PM

Dirk is one of the best shooters and scorers in the league right now but outside of that he doesn't bring a lot of other things to a team, sure he averages 8 rbds per game but that's weak for a franchise PF that is 7' tall, if he played as a SG or SF that would be OK but not for a bigman 'cause it takes inside presence out of his squad. Don't get me wrong, I think Dirk is a great player, just not the superstar most people think he is.

And no, I'm not a troll. I honestly think that Nowitzki isn't all that and I give honest reasons to back up my argument whether you agree or not that's another thing.

mavs>spurs2
02-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Dirk is one of the best shooters and scorers in the league right now but outside of that he doesn't bring a lot of other things to a team, sure he averages 8 rbds per game but that's weak for a franchise PF that is 7' tall, if he played as a SG or SF that would be OK but not for a bigman 'cause it takes inside presence out of his squad. Don't get me wrong, I think Dirk is a great player, just not the superstar most people think he is.

And no, I'm not a troll. I honestly think that Nowitzki isn't all that and I give honest reasons to back up my argument whether you agree or not that's another thing.

Yup, it's mainly the JET and Smokey Howard who beat your team every year, Dirk sucks. He's a great foreign player but not comparable to the greatest foreign player of all time, Manu Ginobili.

badfish22
02-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Im a troll

See Dirka, this is what you need to look out for.

Fpoonsie
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
:lol Yeah, ya know, I still don't understand why people keep talking about how thrilled they are now that Howard, "the Spur Killer", is outta Dallas. I was always more concerned with Dirk than anyone...and, unless RealGM/Hoopsworld is asleep at the wheel, the Mavs haven't traded the big German away yet.

mytespurs
02-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Seems like it. Discuss.

Jason Kidd
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion
Dirk Nowitzki
Brenden Haywood

Deshawn Stevenson
Jason Terry
Erick Dampier
Eduardo Najera
Tim Thomas
Jose Barea
Rodrigue Beaubois
Matt Carroll

VS.

Derek Fisher
Kobe Bryant
Ron Artest
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum

Lamar Odom
Shannon Brown
Jordan Farmar
Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
Adam Morrison
Josh Powell
Sasha Vujacic
Luke Walton

Maybe......but even if they are, Lakers are still the better team and will win the West...and you, as a Laker fan, should know better than to ask.....
:king I'm j/k of course.....Lakers could/would still is the better team.....mavs getting better doesn't change my opinion at this time.

21_Blessings
02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
This is the deepest Mavs team i've ever seen. Marion and Erick Dampier off the bench? :lol

Dampier spends most of the season on the bench anyways .