PDA

View Full Version : Does Stern Need a One More Spurs Title?

Russ
02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
(Okay, this kinda seems like an article because I sorta wrote it that way. A fanciful article. So don't take it too seriously and feel free to toss your brickbats. :))

You can't miss NBA Commissioner David Stern at weekend's All Star festivities. He's in front of every microphone in town.

It usually goes something like this.

Interviewer: "Commissioner, how about LeBron and Kobe this year."

Stern: "Well, Mark, as you know, the NBA has lost $400 million the last three years. . ."

Or like this:

Interviewer: "Commissioner, can you picture 100,000 fans in the stands to watch the All Star Game?"

Stern: "Yes, Steve, it's a hard to believe that the NBA has lost $400 million the last three years. . ."

Like a politician with a talking point, that $400 million is always the first thing out of the Commissioner's mouth.

And the reason is apparent. Stern is laying the groundwork for a PR war with the players that is bound to come soon. The battle lines are set -- the players will say that the NBA is a gold mine and Stern will counter that the league is about to be evicted from a one room flat.

The underlying pupose, of course, is that Stern (and the NBA) wants to roll back all of the gains that the players made in the last years of collective bargaining. Things like guaranteed contracts (the NFL doesn't have them), revenue sharing with the players, etc.

And Stern knows one thing that "Shock Doctrine" author Naomi Klein also knows -- the best time to push through an unpopular policy that further enriches the wealthy (here, the NBA owners) is during a terrible crisis (real or imagined).

So Stern's problem is this -- how do you take a league that looks to all the world like a symbol of affluence, glamor and excess and make it seem like it's in the middle of a rummage sale. That way you can get your collective bargaining reforms through.

Here's where our Spurs could enter the picture. :)

The last ten years the NBA has been on an upward trajectory -- LeBron, Kobe, the Celtics' and Lakers' rebirth, TV ratings climbing, etc.

The only blips on the radar screen during those past ten years of upward mobility have been four dark (corporately speaking) Junes when the Spurs won their titles. Those boring Spurs. The ratings' killers. After each title, the sports media wrung their hands about the fragile health of the NBA. The Spurs won the title but nobody cares said the ESPN radio voices. And how could a league survive with no contending team in New York. And how many millions of TV sets turned of every time the Spurs showed up in big games. Even the business cable channels like CNBC and Fox Business News chimed in about how bad for the NBA's bottom line the Spurs were.

So when the Spurs won a title, people actually worried about the financial health of the NBA.

And that is the state David Stern is desperately trying to get to get back to now. But his job is kinda hard with LeBron and Kobe mugging for the cameras. And Mark Cuban prancing around like a modern day robber barron in Jerry Jones' palace.

I never really bought those conspiracy theories about the NBA. How the league (through the refs) decided who won the title and things like that.

But the timing of some things always seemed interesting. Like how rules against aggressive perimeter defense (the Spurs' hallmark) were rushed through right after the Spurs' first title in ‘99.

And then right after the Spurs' 4th title in nine years, how the league let "the most skilled big man on the planet" go to the league's glamour team without any compensation to the trading team. (And I won't even get in to .4 in ‘04 or ‘08 with the all-nighter on the tarmac and Joey Crawford refereeing the key game and Fisher jumping right into Brent Barry's three to end that game).

But, as luck would have it, the shoe may be on the other foot this time.

That's because Stern has a tough sales job right about now. And the stakes are much higher than who wins a title in a given year. The stakes are the future of the NBA -- the business model upon which the league will go forward into the future.

Stern's legacy as the best sports commissioner in history is on the line. His vision of the NBA's future could become a reality but only if he plays his cards right. He has to win a PR battle with the players and the issue is image. How is your league doing, David? Can you justify cutbacks to the players given the financial state of affairs?

In other words, are the champs Kobe and the Lakers or are the champs the advertisers' nightmare -- the San Antonio Spurs? It's the steak not the sizzle. The perception of affluence is at the heart of the matter.

The boring Spurs stand ready and willing as always. Waiting to answer the call.

And the refs have their ears to the ground, ready to do the right thing, whatever that may be.

So there you have it. On the one hand, the shame and degradation of another Spurs title. But with it, you might win the PR war and get to place your stamp on the NBA's future for all time.

The only question, David, is how bad do you want it? :)

mudyez
02-14-2010, 03:21 PM
we welcome mr. bill simmons to our board!!!

nice read!

ohmwrecker
02-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I needa one morea Spursa title to go witha my spicy meataball.

HarlemHeat37
02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't believe the NBA is "rigged", but of the 4 major North American sports, the NBA is BY FAR the most likely of the bunch..there's just way too much suspicious shit that happens with the NBA, and you can add an Amare to the Cavs trade to it in the next few days..

The Spurs truly did fuck the system though..horrible ratings, an ugly style of basketball, a superstar that doesn't create controversy with his rapes and snitching, a team that didn't spend too much money to stack the team..it takes a special kind of group to fuck an entire system..

Russ
02-14-2010, 03:43 PM

Fixed. :lol:lol:lol

Fpoonsie
02-14-2010, 04:09 PM

:rollin

bigdog
02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
:lol
nice read. i needed this today

ffadicted
02-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Spurs aren't really boring anymore this year, we're looking like baby phoenix jr. at times lol

lennyalderette
02-14-2010, 04:32 PM
yeah with blair, rj,mason, tony, hill, manu, and tim i think we are a pretty exciting team were going to need a trade if amare is going to the cavs

mudyez
02-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Spurs aren't really boring anymore this year, we're looking like baby phoenix jr. at times lol

depending, what you know about basketball and how you are following it, spurs never where boring:

(I'm from europe and I'm coaching basketball, so maybe its the perfect combination to like our game)

- I always liked to see the defense...in our championship years it was a beauty, indivitualy and teamwise

- teamplay on offense is the name of the game...do I rather see vince carter dribbling down the shotclock until he takes a freaking into the face jumper or do I like seeing a nice inside-out passing game, good ballmovement und players that work with each other instead of standing in each others way?...ok, sometimes the guys just wont click, going without a basket for stretches of time, but I take that in a heartbeat, than 1on1 shows.

- fundamentals...just watch a player like timmy: he doesnt have the hops of stat or the power of d12, but knows how to be the best player of the decade...footwork, boxing out, decitionmaking...it's something you can show players to learn from...not d12 just using muscles or cater jumping over someone...even guys like tony show that speed is only deadly, if you know how to use it!

- you can only see so many dunks still beeing excited about them...in the 80s and early 90s a powerful dunk was nice to see, but nowadays with so many players only beeing able to dunk (and hitting 3s) it gets boring...watching ASG's in the 90's you could remember every single dunk afterwards (about 3-4 real dunkings, not counting those layup types from some bigman)...now you see more than that in regular season games, making me rarely beeing excited about them...in terms of spurs fanism it's even more exciting if you see e.g. findawg with a powerful dunking, coz you know, that it could be his only one of the season...if stat dunks, who cares?

saying that: I liked watching most of the suns games and I like seeing lebron going to work...but if you asked me, if I'd rather have that or spurs basketball I take the spurs (or for that matter teams like early 2000's pistons) every day, just coz you can learn and see more basketball.

maybe its also an age thing...with 20 I was excited to see carter doing his stuff...now a nice outletpass gets me twice as excited, that any dunk I have seen a guy like lebron do in his career.

if you have a big breasted girlfriend, the idea of going smaller the next time, looks far more interesting...and the league right now looks like carmen electra...while the spurs are more like paris hilton :downspin:

wow, I bet I'm the first one to show a spurs-paris hilton analogy! :hat

dbestpro
02-14-2010, 08:06 PM
If the NBA owners are losing so much money then they should ask for the head of the guy that leads the way. It is time for the NBA to change from a star league to a team league. By this I mean that no player is bigger than the team. The NFL does so well because intentional grounding is the same whether you are Farve, Romo or a rookie like Sanchez. The love of the game is what sells the game. The NBA needs to learn this. As long as it stays a star league then it will struggle with the money.

Oh yea, for all of you that will say how did the Spurs win? The reality is the NBA was trying to clean up its image and develop its international fan appeal. No team was better suited to accomplish this than the Spurs.

BanditHiro
02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
If the NBA owners are losing so much money then they should ask for the head of the guy that leads the way. It is time for the NBA to change from a star league to a team league. By this I mean that no player is bigger than the team. The NFL does so well because intentional grounding is the same whether you are Farve, Romo or a rookie like Sanchez. The love of the game is what sells the game. The NBA needs to learn this. As long as it stays a star league then it will struggle with the money.

Oh yea, for all of you that will say how did the Spurs win? The reality is the NBA was trying to clean up its image and develop its international fan appeal. No team was better suited to accomplish this than the Spurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITjQsQRzt9Y

Blackjack
02-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Good read, Russ.:tu

I guess, in a nutshell, you're basically saying the NBA needs to look to this year's dunk contest as a way in which to move forward: a wet blanket of an occurrence to proclaim it dead once again, and insist on sweeping or significant changes to restore it's greatness; a crisis in short-term perception, not reality.

Well, the Spurs have been the NBA's resident "wet blanket" over the years and would be the perfect team to pull off such a ploy, but I'm just not of the conspiratorial nature; two Lottery wins within 10-years and four championships over an equal span don't allow me to be.

Having said that, I realize my take isn't shared by all, or maybe even most ... so the "never let a good crisis go to waste" philosophy is something I'm sure carries weight with a lot of fans.

Baseline
02-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Anything that would make Stern's life miserable would be a great thing. And yes, another Spurs title would do that.

Trouble is, he already made the move to prevent it - the Pau Gasol trade.

Allanon
02-15-2010, 01:35 AM
How can you be a Spurs fan; winners of 4 titles and at the same time believe in rigging?

Meanwhile, the Knicks, the #1 media market and richest team hasn't won a title in forever?

spectator
02-15-2010, 01:41 AM
btw, does anyone have numbers on our financial prognosis for this season? are we cutting even or are we in debt for taking rj and mcdyess? i assume the answer will include an estimate on how far in the playoffs we will be making.

widowmaker
02-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Easy fix, send an email To Stern and agree that the spurs will play the rest of the season in cowboys stadium so we can get LBJ and Dwight Howard by the end of the week and go to the finals this year.:flag: