PDA

View Full Version : Billups Q&A: Makes Sure to Cherish All-Star Experiences

duncan228
02-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Billups Makes Sure to Cherish All-Star Experiences (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-billupsmakessuretoch&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Nuggets point guard Chauncey Billups was a late addition to the West’s All-Star roster, filling in after Chris Paul was injured. Still, as a guy who was traded three times in his first three years in the league, not really getting a chance to blossom until he was in his fifth NBA season, Billups is not one to scoff at an All-Star appearance, however it may come. Sporting News’ Sean Deveney and other reporters spoke with Billups about his ability to appreciate the All-Star experience, the Mavericks’ big trade and the success of the old guys on All-Star weekend.

Question: You were in the 3-point contest; you eventually lost out to Paul Pierce. What did you make of that—was that fun for you?

Chauncey Billups: It was definitely fun. Me and Paul were joking around there, me and him are the oldest ones. We are Class of ’95 high school, so we were just telling each other either one of us is going to win. One of us. We had to talk the young boys down, talk them out of it.

Q: And Steve Nash beat out the young guys in the skills challenge.

CB: See what I am saying? Old heads. They can’t put us in the rocking chair yet, man.

Q: The Mavericks were able to pull off a big trade, getting Brendan Haywood and Caron Butler. Are they a better team now, someone you have to watch for in the West?

CB: Absolutely. You always got to factor in, they got to mesh—you know what I am saying? You don’t know if skill sets match up, personalities match up. All those things are part of it. But man, definitely, they got some good players out of that.

Q: Do you think you guys need to make a move?

CB: No. I have said all along I just want to build on what we started last year. We made it to the West finals. We think we can get further.

Q: As you get older, are you more likely to appreciate All-Star games more? Do you look at coming to the All-Star Game as something you have to do?

CB: I definitely don’t take it for granted. Any time you have the chance to play on Sunday, you have to be happy. Especially with the way my career started off, any opportunity I can get I am happy. I don’t take it for granted. I am honored every single different time.

Q: You mentioned your early career, which was tough on you. Do you think that gives you a better perspective on how much it means to be an All-Star, where some guys maybe have it handed to them so early?

CB: Probably so. So many of these guys, it’s not their fault, but they’re just given the ball and their teams say, “Go ahead.” And from that, two or three years down the road, they’re in the All-Star Game. There’s not one of those guys who will be playing in the All-Star Game who has been through what I have been through. So I will cherish it, every time.

Q: The whole All-Star scene, the parties and the things people think of when they think of this weekend, is that something you get involved with? Are you on the red carpets?

CB: I didn’t do much as far as going out and all of that stuff; it’s not like that for me. I just kind of take it easy with my wife and leave the other stuff for other guys.

Q: What’s the first All-Star Game you remember seeing?

CB: First one I saw was, I don’t remember the year, but I remember Isiah and Magic were going at it. They were kind of dueling back and forth in that game. I just remember that being a great game and I never missed one since.

badfish22
02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
[Absolutely. You always got to factor in, they got to mesh—you know what I am saying?

XtLXGQu-OF4