PDA

View Full Version : McGrady to the Knicks is probably going to happen

Iceman101
02-15-2010, 01:38 AM
From Local 2 KPRC:

Sources: Knicks and Rockets Talking; Rockets Not Commenting
NBA Trade Deadline is Thursday

POSTED: Sunday, February 14, 2010

Houston -- The NBA trade deadline arrives later this week and in Houston all eyes are on Tracy McGrady.

While the Rockets organization is not commenting on any potential move regarding Tracy McGrady, two league sources told KPRC Local 2 February 12 and again Sunday night that McGrady, who is in Chicago, is preparing for a trade to the New York Knicks.

One source, who is very close to the McGrady camp, told KPRC Local 2 Friday that McGrady was prepared to travel to New York by the "middle of this week".

Sunday night the New York Times also reported talks were underway between Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey along with Donnie Walsh and Arn Tellem and that both sides were attempting to get a deal done without a third team involved.

Another NBA league source confirmed with KPRC Local 2 that talks were held Sunday but it was unclear if the two sides were close to striking a deal.

The NBA trade deadline is Thursday. The Rockets resume play at home Tuesday against the Utah Jazz.
http://www.click2houston.com/sports/22565181/detail.html

Pure stupidity....Wilson Chandler better be in any such deal

Allanon
02-15-2010, 01:43 AM
The Knicks are seriously in the pursuit of the 2010 FA class.

I can see them dumping pretty much everybody to get lower under the salary cap so they can get two elite players.

If the Knicks can pick up 2 star players, they're right back in business at the top of the Eastern Conference.

Iceman101
02-15-2010, 01:46 AM
They have NOTHING we want, except Chandler, and Gallinari, which they would be stupid to give up

Juanobili
02-15-2010, 01:46 AM
LeBron stays in Cleveland

D-Wade to Chicago

and NY just gets Bosh

thats what I see happenin

crc21209
02-15-2010, 01:54 AM
I just want McGrady to play somewhere, I mean the poor guy and his doctors say he's ready...but the Rockets dont let him play....so might as well send him somewhere else where he can play..

Iceman101
02-15-2010, 01:57 AM
I just want McGrady to play somewhere, I mean the poor guy and his doctors say he's ready...but the Rockets dont let him play....so might as well send him somewhere else where he can play..

He brought this on himself......23 million, no, not poor at all, in any sense....

Lars
02-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Hopefully we can get Hill out of this deal.

Mel_13
02-15-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't get it.

There's no reason for the Knicks to acquire TMAC unless the Rockets are willing to take back Jeffries or Curry as part of the deal. I just can't believe that Houston has any interest in either one of those players.

Unholy Turkey
02-15-2010, 02:41 AM
I don't get it either. This whole situation turned into the worst possible situation that coulda happened because of the stupidest reason. I can smell a terrible move on the Rockets part.

Then again, I thought the Lowry deal was bad too.

ffadicted
02-15-2010, 06:41 AM
I thought the plan was the agree on a buyout? Lucky for the Rockets that it's not though, I think that's the worst possible outcome to that situation for them

Muser
02-15-2010, 07:05 AM
New York will be the laughing stock of the basketball world if LeBron and Co. go somewhere else.

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
What the holy hell?????

After losing out on Caron Butler (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3608/;_ylt=AlCMcdqgmffwG_5hq_3zSXzTjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3608/news;_ylt=ApIe0rk.gqFoCymLi2KS6_jTjdIF) to the Mavericks, Houston has gotten serious with bids for Thomas and Washington’s Antawn Jamison (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3247/;_ylt=AkqX.bsJLtqWkzm.8P6_qjHTjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3247/news;_ylt=AjpjTTkX0uTSrZztOmS3yZPTjdIF), sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-tradebuzz021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Rogue
02-15-2010, 10:38 AM
What the holy hell?????

After losing out on Caron Butler (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3608/;_ylt=AlCMcdqgmffwG_5hq_3zSXzTjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3608/news;_ylt=ApIe0rk.gqFoCymLi2KS6_jTjdIF) to the Mavericks, Houston has gotten serious with bids for Thomas and Washington’s Antawn Jamison (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3247/;_ylt=AkqX.bsJLtqWkzm.8P6_qjHTjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3247/news;_ylt=AjpjTTkX0uTSrZztOmS3yZPTjdIF), sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-tradebuzz021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
trading the future and financial flexibility for a No-D Jamison to bid for a playoff berth of this season? Seems like the Rockets are too famish to judge and select what's edible from what isn't.

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Hopefully it's a smokescreen

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 10:53 AM
There were all kind of signs that the Rockets' talks with the Knicks are ongoing.

They are not the only ones. The Rockets are still also talking with Chicago and Philadelphia. The New York thing might be agent driven, and still seems to have more of a feel of a fall-back plan, a chance to get expiring-contract help and a move under the luxury tax.

Chicago might be willing to move Luol Deng, but like Caron Butler, he does not seem to be the guy the Rockets want for as much cap room as he'll occupy, and for a lot longer than Butler.

There did not seem to be much three-team talk going, but maybe that's a way to get after Andre Iguodala.

The impression in Dallas was still that no-deal had the greatest chance of happening, at least when it comes to Tracy McGrady's expiring contract. If they're still talking, however, there clearly are goals, and a chance.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2010/02/rockets_still_talking_and_im_s.html

duncan228
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Knicks in serious talks for McGrady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-knicksrocketstrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears

The New York Knicks are getting closer to reaching the Houston Rockets’ demands for Tracy McGrady and his $23 million expiring contract, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Knicks and Rockets have designed the framework of a deal that would unload New York’s Jared Jeffries, Jordan Hill and either Al Harrington or Larry Hughes for McGrady, Joey Dorsey and Brian Cook.

As talks stood on Monday, the price of dumping the burdensome contract of Jeffries – who is owed $6.9 million next season – comes with the Knicks and Rockets exchanging 2011 first-round picks and the Knicks’ 2012 first-round choice going to Houston. New York also might include a 2010 second-round pick.

The Utah Jazz own the Knicks’ first-round pick in 2010.

The completion of the deal isn’t imminent, but sources involved in the discussions are increasingly confident that after months of back and forth, which intensified over All-Star weekend, an agreement is within reach.

One of the hang-ups in the deal, sources said, could be the Knicks’ inclusion of either Harrington or Hughes. There are slight variations of the trade that would change depending on which of the two veteran Knicks’ expiring contracts are included. With Harrington over Hughes in the deal, the Rockets wouldn’t need to include Cook.

For the Knicks, the trade would accomplish two important things: First, it would get Jeffries’ salary cleared out, something general manager Donnie Walsh has tried to do since taking the job. This would give the Knicks even more flexibility to be a major player in this summer’s free-agent market. Also, the Knicks want to take a good look at McGrady and let him play as much of a role as he can handle the rest of the season. They may consider re-signing him for next season, based on his performance.

Rockets GM Daryl Morey would get Hill, the untested eighth pick in the 2009 draft, and first-round picks that could prove valuable. This will get the Rockets a significant measure of value for McGrady, who they exiled in December. McGrady, sources said, is excited about the possibility of joining the Knicks.

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
knicks in serious talks for mcgrady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-knicksrocketstrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
by adrian wojnarowski and marc j. Spears

the new york knicks are getting closer to reaching the houston rockets’ demands for tracy mcgrady and his $23 million expiring contract, league sources told yahoo! Sports.

The knicks and rockets have designed the framework of a deal that would unload new york’s jared jeffries, jordan hill and either al harrington or larry hughes for mcgrady, joey dorsey and brian cook.

As talks stood on monday, the price of dumping the burdensome contract of jeffries – who is owed $6.9 million next season – comes with the knicks and rockets exchanging 2011 first-round picks and the knicks’ 2012 first-round choice going to houston. New york also might include a 2010 second-round pick.

the utah jazz own the knicks’ first-round pick in 2010.

The completion of the deal isn’t imminent, but sources involved in the discussions are increasingly confident that after months of back and forth, which intensified over all-star weekend, an agreement is within reach.

One of the hang-ups in the deal, sources said, could be the knicks’ inclusion of either harrington or hughes. There are slight variations of the trade that would change depending on which of the two veteran knicks’ expiring contracts are included. With harrington over hughes in the deal, the rockets wouldn’t need to include cook.

For the knicks, the trade would accomplish two important things: First, it would get jeffries’ salary cleared out, something general manager donnie walsh has tried to do since taking the job. This would give the knicks even more flexibility to be a major player in this summer’s free-agent market. Also, the knicks want to take a good look at mcgrady and let him play as much of a role as he can handle the rest of the season. They may consider re-signing him for next season, based on his performance.

Rockets gm daryl morey would get hill, the untested eighth pick in the 2009 draft, and first-round picks that could prove valuable. This will get the rockets a significant measure of value for mcgrady, who they exiled in december. Mcgrady, sources said, is excited about the possibility of joining the knicks.

rockets would get the knicks 2011 and 2012 first round picks!!!!!!!! Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

21_Blessings
02-15-2010, 05:24 PM
New York will be the laughing stock

?

New York has BEEN the laughing stock of the basketball world for years.

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
So, the Rockets would get

Harrington, Jeffries, Hill, Knicks 2011 and 2012 First round picks, and a second round pick

And The rockets are going to have their own lottery pick this year

baseline bum
02-15-2010, 05:53 PM
?

New York has BEEN the laughing stock of the basketball world for years.

Yeah, basically since they blew $100 million on Allan Houston in 2000.

noob cake
02-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Harrington, Jeffries, Hill, Knicks 2011 exhange and 2012 First round picks, and a second round pick

Knicks better get LeBronze next year or Morey just ate their future :wakeup

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Knicks better get LeBronze next year or Morey just ate their future :wakeup

:lol True, if this deal does go down, and the Knicks fail to sign any big free agents, this may have the potential for a fail so big that it surpasses Epic (for the Knicks)

baseline bum
02-15-2010, 06:05 PM
:lol True, if this deal does go down, and the Knicks fail to sign any big free agents, this may have the potential for a fail so big that it surpasses Epic (for the Knicks)

That would be hilarious to see them in the lottery and giving their high picks to Houston 2 years in a row.

Lars
02-15-2010, 06:31 PM
We are going to get 3 fucking lotto picks from the Knicks?!?!

Kai
02-15-2010, 06:41 PM
We are going to get 3 fucking lotto picks from the Knicks?!?!

We're only swapping 2011 picks, assuming their pick will be better than ours. We are given their 2012 pick, which may or may not be a lotto pick, and maybe a second rounder. If you include Jordan Hill who was a lotto pick this year, I guess you could say we are potentially getting 2 lotto picks from them.

noob cake
02-15-2010, 06:44 PM
We're only swapping 2011 picks, assuming their pick will be better than ours. We are given their 2012 pick, which may or may not be a lotto pick, and maybe a second rounder. If you include Jordan Hill who was a lotto pick this year, I guess you could say we are potentially getting 2 lotto picks from them.

2 x 1st (2009 and 2012) + 1st round exchange (2011)

Hill is still a lotto PF; he is only getting 10 minutes per game and is being shipped during his rookie year.

Lars
02-15-2010, 06:47 PM
If the Knicks strike out in free agency:

1.) Hill - lotto pick
2.) 2011 swap, ours will assuredly be higher.
3.) 2012 likely lotto pick

There is potentially three lotto picks here for us. Morey is a genius.

picc84
02-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Lebron will go to NY
Wade still stay in Miami
Bosh will stay in Toronto
Boozer will go to Miami with Wade
Amare will go to NY with Lebron

GuerillaBlack
02-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Harrington, Jeffries, Hill, Knicks 2011 and 2012 First round picks, and a second round pick

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/01/28/sports/28morey.1.600.jpg

*Picture taken on the Knicks home court at MSG

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Sons, let's pray that the Knicks are that stupid, or Morey is that good....Or a bit of both

GuerillaBlack
02-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Lebron will go to NY
Wade still stay in Miami
Bosh will stay in Toronto
Boozer will go to Miami with Wade
Amare will go to NY with Lebron

If LeBron and Amare win a championship in Cleveland, they're probably staying there. At least LeBron is. I could see them both going to NY, but I doubt it since both would want max money and the Knicks can't afford two max players.

Kai
02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
2 x 1st (2009 and 2012) + 1st round exchange (2011)

Hill is still a lotto PF; he is only getting 10 minutes per game and is being shipped during his rookie year.

That's assuming they suck in 2011, and 2012.

I guess all Rocket fans are officially anti-Knick fans the next two years, lol.

noob cake
02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
That's assuming they suck in 2011, and 2012.

I guess all Rocket fans are officially anti-Knick fans the next two years, lol.

Hell if this goes down; I want McGrady to unleash a can of whoopass. Make the playoff and deny Jizz their lotto pick this year.

Next year, Knicks misses out on LeBron/Wade/Bosh and settles for David Lee, Rudy Gay, Boozer, Amare, or TMac.

We get Hill + 2011 swap lotto + 2012 lotto.

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
close to being a done deal

Kai
02-15-2010, 07:25 PM
What worries me is all the cap space that the knicks will have this offseason. Even if they just re-sign Lee and maybe McGrady they'll still have some money to spend. They have enough money to create a playoff team, which is bad news for the Rockets.

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
What worries me is all the cap space that the knicks will have this offseason. Even if they just re-sign Lee and maybe McGrady they'll still have some money to spend. They have enough money to create a playoff team, which is bad news for the Rockets.

They are who we thought they were, THE KNICKS

Kai
02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
They are who we thought they were, THE KNICKS

Yeah but they have a CRAZY amount of money to spend this summer, I don't think it will be that hard for them to make a team that makes the playoffs in the east.

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah but they have a CRAZY amount of money to spend this summer, I don't think it will be that hard for them to make a team that makes the playoffs in the east.

You forget that Mike D'antoni is the coach

djohn2oo8
02-15-2010, 11:12 PM
LOL SONS, L-O-FUCKIN-L

11 m ago By Alan Hahn
Tracy McGrady had microfracture surgery last February and while he's proven he can run and move around a basketball court, his ability to explode -- a major part of the game -- remains questionable.
But, really, whatever deal the Knicks may make for the former all-star will be more about other features than merely acquiring McGrady to use the Garden stage and Mike D'Antoni's system to put up big statistics to advertise for this summer's free agency.
Once again Yahoo! Sports has an amazing amount of detailed information about a trade scenario (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-knicksrocketstrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) involving McGrady and the Knicks. In their report, the Knicks will mortgage their future -- Jordan Hill and unprotected 2011 and 2012 first-round draft picks -- to get McGrady, while the Rockets will apparently take on Jared Jeffries' $6.8M salary in 2010-11 to get rid of him.

Everyone in the NBA
knows the New York media will jump all over every rumor and perpetuate the talk and the rabid fans here will eat it up and beg for more. So understand, Fixers, these stories are presented for public consumption for good reason.

I will say this: the scenario reported by Yahoo! is pretty much on the mark of the parameters I'm told have been involved in the talks between the Knicks and Rockets. But it's also more in the Knicks favor because, aside from giving up on Hill, the team's lottery pick in 2009, they're clearing $9.2M in cap space for this summer which would almost certainly create enough room to slide two max contracts across the table to LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

And the first rounders? The Knicks would swap their 2011 picks and give up their 2012 pick, which means they are giving up the chance to build their franchise through the draft in the rare case they don't sign any big names this summer.
But with all of this cap space (remember, you can also trade for players when you have cap space), how can the Knicks even believe they could still be a lottery team by 2011 and 2012?

Now let's look at it from Houston's perspective: they are trading an expiring contract for four an additional $6.8M in salary the following year? Fixers, understand the Rockets do not have to trade McGrady. They have him as a chip and are willing to deal him for the right type of situation (i.e.: young players and draft picks). But to add money onto the payroll when, if they did nothing they would clear $23 million off their ledger come June 30? Doesn't make a great deal of sense, unless they see some incredible upside in Jordan Hill that has so far has not caught our eye here in New York.
Now there is the possibility that Houston involves a third team to take the Jeffries contract off their books. There aren't many teams in the NBA that want to help the Knicks clear any more cap space -- and certainly none in the East. But teams in the West, especially those who aren't even in the game for 2010, don't care as much. Keep an eye out for that kind of scenario if that's what it takes to get a deal done. And it may take that kind of help.
P
ut it this way, I was talking to an extremely well-connected NBA source tonight after I landed in Chicago and saw the Yahoo! report and this person said, "If this trade happens, Donnie Walsh should be Executive of the Year."

I do believe the Knicks are closer than any other team in a deal for McGrady, but that doesn't mean a deal is guaranteed to happen. In fact, I'm of the belief that if it does go down, it might not happen until 2:59 p.m. on Thursday.
Just bloggin.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/the-knicks-fix-1.812055/jumping-to-conclusions-on-a-bum-knee-1.1762960

Lars
02-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Capologist from Clutchfans astutely suggested flipping Harrington for T.Thomas since there was an offer. Or using him to pry Bayless or Outlaw from Portland who is desperate for a big this year.

Morey has a real chance to rape other GMs this deadline.

robbie380
02-16-2010, 12:12 AM
LOL SONS, L-O-FUCKIN-L

11 m ago By Alan Hahn

Put it this way, I was talking to an extremely well-connected NBA source tonight after I landed in Chicago and saw the Yahoo! report and this person said, "If this trade happens, Donnie Walsh should be Executive of the Year."

I do believe the Knicks are closer than any other team in a deal for McGrady, but that doesn't mean a deal is guaranteed to happen. In fact, I'm of the belief that if it does go down, it might not happen until 2:59 p.m. on Thursday.
Just bloggin.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/the-knicks-fix-1.812055/jumping-to-conclusions-on-a-bum-knee-1.1762960

rofl...if he thinks this is a great deal for the knicks then maybe morey can take their 2013 and 2014 picks while he is at it lol.

anyhow...bimathug (someone who understands the cap well) on clutchfans was saying there is no way the knicks can offer 2 max deals and it would be unlikely they could retain tmac and d. lee if they get a max guy. jesus...this would be complete rape if the knicks fuck up their offseason.

noob cake
02-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah; we need to do some Harrington flipping.

PF: Landry/Scola/Hill
SF: Battier/Ariza

GuerillaBlack
02-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Trade Harrington and one of the picks New York gives us for Iggy.