PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to make the ASG matter.

pauls931
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Here's my first crappy idea.

Add a win to every team in the conference that wins that does not show up in the record but is only used in determining homecourt for the finals.

Chieflion
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
My crappy idea: The winning conference gets to have its worst team pick first in the draft.

JoeTait75
02-15-2010, 09:33 AM
The game itself is fine as is, they just need to improve some of the All-Star weekend events. The ASG is a scrimmage, you don't base regular or postseason results on the outcome of a scrimmage. Leave that dumbassery to Bud Selig.

Rogue
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Even with such a rule enforced the western all-stars will remain at the same lazy level only except for those from Lakers, while the eastern all-stars will generally be enticed and more adopted to the game. Then profoundly the game would be more biased than it already is with Western all-stars getting curbstomped by Easters.

pauls931
02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Why pay to see a scrimmage? I know it's for the fans to see their players and I guess no incentive to win lets coaches give everyone minutes... But sheesh, I'd rather watch a regular season game.

BTW, I don't even know the final score and assume the east won due to Wade's MVP.

JamStone
02-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Same voting format, but when the weekend arrives, there are no East team and no West team.

The two highest vote getters are captains and they pick teams out of the other 22 players. Might suck for the guy that gets picked last though.

Rogue
02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
the OP's proposal would seem simpler and better if it's simplified as "the finals HCA automatically goes to the winning conference in ASG regardless of the records both representatives finish with." like how the MLB refurbished their ASG.

But still I don't think it'd make an visible influence on NBA ASG, at least it'd only have at most very little impact on the attitudes of western all-stars as long as the Lakers are almost guaranteed Western champions. Why should western all-stars from other teams work hard with risks of injuries for Lakers good? not to mention how bad the lakers are hated by NBA fans in general.

pauls931
02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Same voting format, but when the weekend arrives, there are no East team and no West team.

The two highest vote getters are captains and they pick teams out of the other 22 players. Might suck for the guy that gets picked last though.

So Yao Ming and that Yi guy would've got to pick teams in past years?

Rogue
02-15-2010, 09:59 AM
The game itself is fine as is, they just need to improve some of the All-Star weekend events. The ASG is a scrimmage, you don't base regular or postseason results on the outcome of a scrimmage. Leave that dumbassery to Bud Selig.
ASG is nothing but an exhilarating show at its finest, so are the regular season games by conservative extension. Diversifying those events only helps distract our attentions from the games hence makes their shows figures vaguer to us, but a shit will remain what it is no matter how well it's spiced up.

Rogue
02-15-2010, 10:05 AM
then they would have picked the same shitty level of players as themselves so they wouldn't look too bad on ASG court. But I believe Stern could have fixed it by pressing/forcing shit to quit the show in the names of injuries or alike.

boutons_deux
02-15-2010, 10:21 AM
$100K to each player of winning team.

wanna see some blood on the floor.

btw, DeJuan Blair losing the Rookie MVP cost him some serious bonus money from his shoe sponsor.

Rogue
02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
$100K to each player of winning team.

wanna see some blood on the floor.

btw, DeJuan Blair losing the Rookie MVP cost him some serious bonus money from his shoe sponsor.
we'd all be glad to see it tried and checked only if your generous enough to sponsor it with the 1200K awarded to the winning 12.

JamStone
02-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Yao, sure if he finished with one of the top two most votes. I don't think he has though. But if he did, then yes. What's the problem with Yao picking teams?

And, when has Yi ever finished with one of the top two most ASG votes?

pauls931
02-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Yao, sure if he finished with one of the top two most votes. I don't think he has though. But if he did, then yes. What's the problem with Yao picking teams?

And, when has Yi ever finished with one of the top two most ASG votes?

I'm just saying there's a billion votes that might make it happen.

Basketballgirl25
02-15-2010, 11:19 AM
here's a way to make the ASG matter, actually play defence, sure they don't play defence because then a player could get hurt in the game, but whatever it is there job to play and if this is for the fans they would put on a really game and play harder then they do is real games

ffadicted
02-15-2010, 11:28 AM

lol yes highschool street ball all over again. I like it

Ghazi
02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Ive seen the idea elsewhere but i would find a team world v team USA ASG very interesting.

Phonzie20
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
How about just getting rid of it completely.

slick'81
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
just put a nice cash prize for the winner in the dunk contest then maybe there would be more interest

mavs>spurs2
02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Ive seen the idea elsewhere but i would find a team world v team USA ASG very interesting.

That would be badass and bring in a TON of revenue, even from the watchers overseas.

GuerillaBlack
02-15-2010, 01:17 PM
I've heard of having a 3-on-3 tournament made up of players from different states/cities.

hitmanyr2k
02-15-2010, 01:29 PM
here's a way to make the ASG matter, actually play defence, sure they don't play defence because then a player could get hurt in the game, but whatever it is there job to play and if this is for the fans they would put on a really game and play harder then they do is real games

That would be a start. They used to play defense in all-star games. Ask Shaq. I felt bad for him during the '94 all-star game. Everyone ganged up on him. He got his revenge on Olajuwon in the end though :lol

BlOCXLt-9DU

JamStone
02-15-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm just saying there's a billion votes that might make it happen.

No, actually you said in "past years" as if Yi actually had one of the two most votes for an all star game already.

If China was that much of a problem, not only would Yi have already been an all star, but guys like Wang Zhizhi and Mengke Bateer would have as well.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-15-2010, 01:54 PM
My idea: cancel the fucking thing and just re-air ones from the Jordan era back when anyone gave a shit about it all.

JamStone
02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
People mentioning cash prizes, don't the all stars get compensated already? And, don't the players on the winning team get more than the all stars on the losing team already? I don't know about giving them any more money than they already make. To me, that's not incentive. That's overkill, like taking an obese person to a Chinese buffet. They make enough money. Why do they need to get even more to play in the all star game where they are supposed to show their appreciation to the fans? In fact, I say they should do it for free.

As far as an international vs. USA game, I don't know if there are enough superstar international players yet, especially on the wings at shooting guard and small forward. You'd have guys like Boris Diaw and Mickael Pietrus playing in this "world" all star game. Good players, but all stars? There aren't enough star international SGs and SFs in the league yet to have an international ASG. Perhaps if you also wanted to invite non-NBA star players who are overseas, maybe. But, then it wouldn't really be an "NBA" all star game.

pauls931
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't know... I just wish there was something they could to to slightly tip the season in favor of the winning conference. Or the following season make all the losers first game be on the road.

jb4g
02-15-2010, 02:18 PM

Stern already nixed that one, said it was unfair to the american players :lol because only 150 of the 500+ NBA players are international.