PDA

View Full Version : Shaq happy as co-star with Cavaliers

duncan228
02-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Shaq happy as co-star with Cavaliers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-sidekickshaq&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Tom Withers

Nowadays, this is how Shaq rolls.

Cramming his 7-foot-1, 325-plus pounds into a four-wheeled office chair straining at its screws, Shaquille O’Neal raises those size 23 sneakers and slides across the Cavaliers practice court in Independence, Ohio, like a kid sledding down a snowy hill.

Nobody’s in his path—not yet.

The Big Diesel, though, is searching to destroy. Gliding across the hardwood, he spots some targets: a group of reporters, looking like human bowling pins.

O’Neal pretends he can’t stop, but before contact and untold injuries, he pushes off in the opposite direction and crashes into a wall, spilling slowly from his seat.

Everyone cracks up. O’Neal’s fine. The wall holds up, too.

It’s a classic Shaq moment: O’Neal is 37—going on 13.

Weeks shy of another birthday, the center of this NBA generation and four-time champion is having a blast in his first season with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

“This is the funnest, funniest team I’ve ever been on in my life,” Shaq said, keeping one eye on a few teammates holding a post-practice dunk contest. “This is a close-knit group.”

Shaq Daddy is helping them bond.

Pried away in a trade with Phoenix last June to aid LeBron James’ drive for a first championship, O’Neal has helped the Cavs move atop the league’s standings and positioned them to end the city’s 46-year drought without a major sports title.

The preseason speculation that this arranged marriage with James might not work was off base. O’Neal and James are happy together, two icons sharing the spotlight without an outward trace of jealousy.

As long as the Cavs are winning, there won’t be any trouble.

“It’s his show and I’m just trying to make him look good,” O’Neal said. “If we were the same age there might be a little tension, but I’m on my way out.”

O’Neal has settled into Cleveland. Instead of living downtown, where the nightlife—while clearly not at the level of Los Angeles or Miami—could be a distraction, he opted for a place in rural Richfield, not far from where the Cavaliers played from 1970 through the mid-1990s.

The father of three boys, each of whom claims James as their favorite player, O’Neal is at a different place in his celebrated life. His wife, Shaunie, filed for divorce in November and O’Neal has taken on a lower profile in Cleveland.

He didn’t host a Super Bowl party.

“Don’t even have a TV,” he said in his familiar baritone.

Still a player. But now a role player.

One of the game’s all-time greats, O’Neal is content to be a sideman in Cleveland, splitting time with Zydrunas Ilgauskas. He wasn’t always so willing to play second fiddle while alongside Lakers’ star Kobe Bryant or the Heat’s Dwyane Wade. But O’Neal understands that James is Cleveland’s unchallenged megastar.

From the time he arrived, O’Neal made it known he is here to support James. Before a recent game, O’Neal was chatting with James in Cleveland’s locker room when he dropped to a knee in a playful show of respect to the league MVP.

“I am here to serve your every need, King James,” O’Neal said.

It’s easy for him.

“I’m a realist,” O’Neal said. “I like to put it in business terms. I ran three different corporations my way and I was successful. But I’m an older guy who is on his way out so they brought me in as a consultant for the new, up-and-coming CEO. I’m here for him.”

After a slow start, which led to rumblings that his career might be over, O’Neal has found his groove with the Cavs. The club needed him to step up his game after injuries sidelined guards Mo Williams and Delonte West and he has— as Cleveland has adjusted its offense for its new starting center.

They are pounding the ball inside to O’Neal, and though he didn’t play in Dallas on Sunday, the 15-time All-Star is playing like one again.

“He’s motivated,” James said. “When Mo and Delonte went down he decided to step his game up, which we knew he could do. He’s just playing with a little bounce in his step that he didn’t have at the start. But he had a different mindset than we all thought. We all thought he was playing slow. He was just saving himself for the second half of the season.

“He tricked all of us.”

In November and December, O’Neal looked tired. His shot was flat.

But since a Jan. 4 loss at Utah, O’Neal has averaged 16 points and six rebounds for the Cavs.

It’s taken time. O’Neal says that was his plan.

“I came here with the perfect chemist’s perception,” he said after practice recently. “The formula they had was perfect and any added ingredient could make it go bad or worse. The first games I was just doing what I was told, waiting and seeing, just sitting back.

“Now, we got a couple guys out and I’m getting some more touches. At the end of my career, if I don’t put up big numbers, people are going to say, ‘Shaq has nothing left.’ I’m used to taking 25 to 30 shots a game but that’s not the case here and I accept that.

“When I get more touches, I’m the most consistent big man to ever play the game.”

O’Neal is loving Cleveland and all it’s sleet, snow and rain. And the city is loving Shaq back.

An O’Neal bobblehead giveaway at a minor league hockey game drew a crowd of more than 18,000 to Quicken Loans Arena. His bigger-than-life personality has easily blended in among the Cavaliers, a collection of guys who genuinely enjoy each other’s company. It’s common for players to hang around for hours after practice.

“Everybody is close,” O’Neal said. “It’s the first team I’ve seen where nine or 10 guys go to dinner on every road trip. I’ve played on teams where this guy hung with this guy. LeBron gets everybody together and sends every one a little bbm (Blackberry message): ‘Dinner at Mortons, be there at eight.”’

Cavs coach Mike Brown raves about O’Neal. The 17-year veteran has been a willing listener and sounding board. He hasn’t complained about a reduction in minutes and responds to Cleveland’s coaches by saying, “Yes, sir” and “No, sir.”

“He’s been terrific,” Brown said. “He makes great suggestions. He talks to the young guys. He’s great for this group. The first words out of his mouth when he came here were, ‘This is LeBron’s team and I’m here to help him get an NBA ring.’ For him to set the tone that way was remarkable.”

Brown points at three lonely banners hanging on a wall high above the Cavs’ practice court. Two represent division titles, the other is for the Cavs’ lone conference crown in 2007.

“He understands what it’s all about, and that’s what makes it special,” Brown said. “Shaq has fit right in. Although he’s taking up a lot of space, he’s fit right in.”

23LeBronJames23
02-15-2010, 03:46 PM
I think Cavs dont need Amare for the championship run. imo

21_Blessings
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
The Big Court Jester

21_Blessings
02-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I think Cavs dont need Amare for the championship run. imo

Yup. Cavs aren't winning shit this year with or without Amare.

JamStone
02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
If you're too fat to fly, you can't be superman either...

duncan228
02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
If you're too fat to fly, you can't be superman either...

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/5e/fullj.412ecf774135e974e2f1d7e7aeca8eb6/412ecf774135e974e2f1d7e7aeca8eb6-getty-95705409jm086_2010_nba_all_.jpg

Dwight Howard #12 of the Eastern Conference wears shoes with a Superman logo during the NBA All-Star Game.

tlongII
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Shaq is perfect for Cleveland. Nobody is going to stop them.

Cane
02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Shaq's surprised me after all the drama he and Kobe had together. He's gone from being the dominant no. 1 option to fulfilling lesser roles in Miami, Phoenix (even finished with a winning record despite Porter and more drama), and now is even more of a roleplayer in Cleveland.

Gives me hope that Duncan will stick around in a similar way but then again Shaq is getting paid $20 million for 20 minutes...don't think thats going to happen for Timmah or Kobe when they get to that point.

21_Blessings
02-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Shaq's surprised me after all the drama he and Kobe had together. He's gone from being the dominant no. 1 option to fulfilling lesser roles in Miami, Phoenix (even finished with a winning record despite Porter and more drama), and now is even more of a roleplayer in Cleveland.

Gives me hope that Duncan will stick around in a similar way but then again Shaq is getting paid $20 million for 20 minutes...don't think thats going to happen for Timmah or Kobe when they get to that point.

:lol

Shaq whined his way out of Miami. Cancer'd his way out of Phoenix. And has gotten fatter in Cleveland.

Why you would want Timmy to embarrass himself like that?

Cane
02-15-2010, 04:50 PM
:lol

Shaq whined his way out of Miami. Cancer'd his way out of Phoenix. And has gotten fatter in Cleveland.

Why you would want Timmy to embarrass himself like that?

Let me guess you're a Kobe cock sucker? As a fan of basketball in general, Shaq's career has been pretty impressive even given its lows (lets not forget about Kobe's either since after Shaq left he missed the playoffs and then came back-to-back first round exits without the infamous Pau Gasol trade; won't even touch the rape case).

Sure, you can rag on him for being fat and lazy which he was but he also won a ring in Miami, helped PHX get a winning record despite Porter and the drama that still existed even after he left (also even after leaving LA the drama remained), and is contributing 20 minutes on the no. 1 team in the league.

Thats not bad :hat The dude's a flat out winner whether as a no.1 option or as a roleplayer.

I. Hustle
02-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Shaq said the same shit about the Heat. How it was the first team he'd been on where they all hung out together and went to the movies together blah blah blah.

JamStone
02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Shaq missed the playoffs as many times as Kobe did this past decade (once), and Shaq would have missed the playoffs twice if he wasn't traded to Phoenix in 2008. Kobe's as much of a winner as Shaq.

Shaq's peak years are impressive. His lazy work ethic and inability to live up to what could have been, perhaps even should have been, one of the top 3 or 4 greatest NBA careers is not.

Cane
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Shaq missed the playoffs as many times as Kobe did this past decade (once), and Shaq would have missed the playoffs twice if he wasn't traded to Phoenix in 2008. Kobe's as much of a winner as Shaq.

I'm not saying Kobe and Duncan aren't winners but the way Shaq did it was arguably more impressive: He won three of them as the no.1 option in LA, then switched conferences and won a ring in Miami, and after that he became one of the most impacting roleplayers around and helped Phoenix and the Cavs get winning records. It takes a pretty special player to win as a no.1 option to winning as lesser options on multiple teams.

It also takes a special player to stick around in one franchise (Duncan, Kobe) and even a better one to win a ring without a star studded lineup (Duncan) but I'm going to have to go with Shaq's versatility so far. They've all got arguable cases though.

21_Blessings
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Let me guess you're a Kobe cock sucker? As a fan of basketball in general, Shaq's career has been pretty impressive even given its lows (lets not forget about Kobe's either since after Shaq left he missed the playoffs and then came back-to-back first round exits without the infamous Pau Gasol trade; won't even touch the rape case).

Shaq's career has been pathetic the last 4 seasons, not even close to impressive.

Let me guess, you're a Shaq cocksucker that probably has no life and follows him on twitter? :lol

Sure, you can rag on him for being fat and lazy which he was but he also won a ring in Miami, helped PHX get a winning record despite Porter and the drama that still existed even after he left (also even after leaving LA the drama remained), and is contributing 20 minutes on the no. 1 team in the league.

The officials carried Wade to a ring in Maimi while Shaq was outplayed by Erica Dampier. Yep, real impressive.

Phoenix GOT WORSE after the Shaq trade. :lol Then Phoenix GOT BETTER after trading Shaq. :lol Yep, real impressive.

Cleveland was the "number 1 team in the league" last regular season. Shaq has gotten FATTER, much FATTER. Yep real impressive. :lol

Thats not bad :hat The dude's a flat out winner whether as a no.1 option or as a roleplayer.

Both Kobe and Tim are better players and winners. Again, why would you want Timmy to embarrass himself like Shaq has the last few years? You're obviously not even a real Spurs fan.

Cane
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Shaq's career has been pathetic the last 4 seasons, not even close to impressive.

Let me guess, you're a Shaq cocksucker that probably has no life and follows him on twitter? :lol

Nope, fuck Twitter and cocksucking :toast

Shaq's career has been far from pathetic in the past 4 seasons, not even close to that level.

The officials carried Wade to a ring in Maimi while Shaq was outplayed by Erica Dampier. Yep, real impressive.

Yes, winning a championship is impressive or should I shit on Kobe for winning last year because of the "collusion" ?

Phoenix GOT WORSE after the Shaq trade. :lol Then Phoenix GOT BETTER after trading Shaq. :lol Yep, real impressive.

Any team with Kerr as a GM and Porter at the helm is going to get worse :) Impressive that despite issues in the front office, team chemistry, and injuries that he was able to contribute to a winning record.

Cleveland was the "number 1 team in the league" last regular season. Shaq has gotten FATTER, much FATTER. Yep real impressive. :lol

You sound like a gay chubby chaser, nothing wrong with that though I suppose. But if you get past your fetish he did more than just get "FATTER, much FATTER" - he's helped them get to the no.1 record despite their rocky start and was one of the key factors in their sweep over teams like LA this season. He's proving the naysayers wrong so far.

Both Kobe and Tim are better players and winners. Again, why would you want Timmy to embarrass himself like Shaq has the last few years? You're obviously not even a real Spurs fan.

More stupid and inflammatory shit. All right, lets say I agree with your case that "Both Kobe and Tim are better players and winners" - still doesn't take away from Shaq's contributions in the last few years. If Timmy could put up the same kind of impact and numbers Shaq has then I sure as hell hope the Spurs can sign him but like I said earlier there's no way in hell he'll get Shaq-sized cash especially after the CBA.

Pero
02-15-2010, 05:36 PM
It also takes a special player to stick around in one franchise (Duncan, Kobe)

Charlotte doesn't count? :D

Cane
02-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Charlotte doesn't count? :D

Hah you're right :lol

adidas11
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
You Shaq bashers crack me up.

The guy wins, whereever he goes. Even at this late stage in his career, he has an impact on the teams that he plays for. You're fooling yourselves if you don't think he made a difference in Miami, and that he won't make a difference in Cleveland.

21_Blessings
02-15-2010, 06:07 PM
The guy wins, whereever he goes.

Didn't win shit in Orlando or Phoenix and he had plenty of talent surrounding him.

Even at this late stage in his career, he has an impact on the teams that he plays for.

Yeah, he made Phoenix worse and Cleveland is just as good as they were last regular season with Shaq playing roleplayer minutes.

and that he won't make a difference in Cleveland.

So are you going on record with Cleveland is winning the championship thanks to Shaq then? Is that your final answer?

23LeBronJames23
02-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Didn't win shit in Orlando or Phoenix and he had plenty of talent surrounding him.

Yeah, he made Phoenix worse and Cleveland is just as good as they were last regular season with Shaq playing roleplayer minutes.

So are you going on record with Cleveland is winning the championship thanks to Shaq then? Is that your final answer?

Dude just STFU please

BRHornet45
02-15-2010, 07:15 PM
sons since when is putting up 11 and 6 considered star numbers?