PDA

View Full Version : Bucher: Camby traded to the Blazers

Sausage
02-16-2010, 01:13 AM
RicBucher

Source says Clippers have dealt Marcus Camby for Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake. Details and deeper confirmation to follow on the mothership.

timvp
02-16-2010, 01:19 AM
I split this out to its own thread since the Camby was potentially one of the Spurs' main targets.

I'd be pretty surprised if the deal is simply Camby for Blake and Outlaw. Wouldn't make much sense for the Clips unless they also unloaded another contract (like Telfair or Thornton).

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:20 AM
if they unloaded Telfair, big win for the Clippers IMO.

crc21209
02-16-2010, 01:21 AM
WOW. Mavs get Haywood and now the Blazers get Camby. The Spurs gotta get a big...NOW.

itzsoweezee
02-16-2010, 01:22 AM
hmm. here's another supposed trade that went down instead. i really hope this isn't true

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/02/report_blazers_involved_in_thr.html

ESPN.com is reporting the Blazers are part of a three team deal, with the Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls rounding out the teams involved.

The website, citing an unnamed source, said the Blazers would receive Chicago forward Tyrus Thomas and Lakers backup Sasha Vujacic. The Lakers would get Bulls point guard Kirk Hinrich and the Bulls would get Steve Blake, Travis Outlaw and Juwan Howard from the Blazers and Adam Morrison from the Lakers.

I'm not sure why the Blazers would make this deal, since it does strengthen the Lakers. Hinrich would replace Derek Fisher and keep the Lakers set at point guard for a long time. He is the kind of point guard Phil Jackson prefers - a big guard who can shoot from the perimeter.

Taking on Thomas, a ridiculously talented but extremely moody big man, would be a big risk to the Blazers' "culture" that GM Kevin Pritchard preaches about constantly. Thomas was suspended for one game last week after a profanity-laced tirade at coach Vinny Del Negro. Thomas wasn't happy with his minutes and launched his verbal assault.

It's not the first time Thomas has had issues with Del Negro and one can imagine how he would handle the no-nonsense approach of Nate McMillan.

bigdog
OR.....they could go small ball the rest of the season :wakeup

timvp
Getting Outlaw is pretty good piece on his own ... but there must be more to this story.

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 01:23 AM
I guess the Blazers got owned. Instead of pulling a trade off in the offseason when both Blake and Outlaw were both unguaranteed contracts for a star player, they get this 35 year old center who could very well leave the team this off-season.

objective
02-16-2010, 01:24 AM
WOW. Mavs get Haywood and now the Blazers get Camby. The Spurs gotta get a big...NOW.

Uh oh . . . Pop's idea of getting a big could mean a trade for Greg Buckner. :lol

clubalien
nba rigged for lakers vs lebron?

scottspurs
DANG

I guess this should prove the Spurs could get something decent for the expirings.

The Dominoes continue to fall, what will the Spurs Domino look like.

timvp
here's another supposed trade that went down instead.

No. That's just a blog post about an ESPN.com rumor from earlier in the day.

timtonymanu
02-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Come on Ty Thomas!

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:25 AM
I guess the Blazers got owned. Instead of pulling a trade off in the offseason when both Blake and Outlaw were both unguaranteed contracts for a star player, they get this 35 year old center who could very well leave the team this off-season.

Yeah Outlaw and Blake for Camby is just plain stupid desperation...

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 01:26 AM
The Blazers are not going to win the championship this season, this deal doesn't change that.

timvp
02-16-2010, 01:26 AM
The Spurs apparently not offering expirings and a first rounder for Camby has me suspicious of what they are up to :wakeup

Cant_Be_Faded
02-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Clearly

the campaign for teams to match up better with the Lakers is really really kicking into gear.

Size. That's what it all boils down to. Size, and length.
Lakers and Magic were two of biggest teams from top to bottom, and they made the finals last year.

Spurs are going to be a total relic by the end of this regular season if we don't do something fast.

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:27 AM
The Spurs apparently not offering expirings and a first rounder for Camby has me suspicious of what they are up to :wakeup

Or maybe the Clippers liked Blake and Outlaw more....

scottspurs
02-16-2010, 01:28 AM
With this and Mason's whining you pretty much have to believe there is a great chance the spurs make a deal.

crc21209
02-16-2010, 01:28 AM

Getting Camby is just the Blazers way of panicking for the need of another big man with Oden AND Pryzbilla gone for the year...

Mr. Body
02-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Camby is a move you make if you're close to a championship. The Blazers aren't. So WTH?

Mr. Body
02-16-2010, 01:30 AM

Could it be they're up to nothing?

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:30 AM
With this and Mason's whining you pretty much have to believe there is a great chance the spurs make a deal.

Ya know normally I would've said, nah things like that don't happen.

But ever since June of 2009, I can't leave anything out to believe.

You'd think they'd be wanting Tyrus Thomas, but, I don't know. I just don't get the vibe they want him that bad...

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 01:31 AM

Could be. They already have 4 recent lottery picks on the roster and they'll be adding one more this summer. Quite possible that a young veteran like Outlaw is more attractive to them than a draft pick in the 20's.

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Camby is a move you make if you're close to a championship. The Blazers aren't. So WTH?

Its akin to the Montreal Expos trading for Bartolo Colon.

No chance of the championship, but making trades for guys that round out teams.

Makes ZERO sense...

Vic Petro
02-16-2010, 01:32 AM
What would the CIA move be at this point? Troy Murphy?

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Could be. They already have 4 recent lottery picks on the roster and they'll be adding one more this summer. Quite possible that a young veteran like Outlaw is more attractive to them than a draft pick in the 20's.

and expirings in Bonner and Mason...

Cant_Be_Faded
02-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Makes perfect sense for the blazers. Oden's out, and they've been usin freakin Juwan

EricB
What would the CIA move be at this point? Troy Murphy?

God I hope not...

timvp
Possible. Although if the Clippers had multiple offers for Camby, you'd think they'd wait until closer to the deadline.

Then again, they are the Clippers.

Yeah, that's what doesn't make sense to me. Camby is a good half season rental but the Blazers aren't close enough to do anything with him. He may help them make the playoffs but that's about it.

Could it be they're up to nothing?

Yes.

scottspurs
02-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Ya know normally I would've said, nah things like that don't happen.

But ever since June of 2009, I can't leave anything out to believe.

You'd think they'd be wanting Tyrus Thomas, but, I don't know. I just don't get the vibe they want him that bad...

I think something is going to come out of Left field and surprise us all. Something is going to happen. Hopefully is it's a good surprise.

Cant_Be_Faded
Why every time the spurs get a bigman he has to be

1) the shittiest athlete for a starter in his position
or
2) old and on the decline

It scares me when I think about who we would end up with if we did execute a trade.

bigdog
I seriously hope the Spurs do something before the deadline to make the frontcourt better.

timvp
02-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Makes perfect sense for the blazers. Oden's out, and they've been usin freakin Juwan

Makes sense if making the playoffs is the goal, which very well could be the case.

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Why every time the spurs get a bigman he has to be

1) the shittiest athlete for a starter in his position
or
2) old and on the decline

It scares me when I think about who we would end up with if we did execute a trade.

Who the hell do you freaking want?

Dwight Howard?

timtonymanu
I really feel like we're standing pat. I mean we didnt even make a move last year when we needed to make one more last season. But I hope I'm wrong. I was pulling for Mason to stay but if he really wants to leave, then Spurs should try hard to get a big.

Mel_13

Best guess would be insurance against Oden and/or Pryz not being able to return next year. They're ridiculously deep at SF even without Outlaw (Batum, Webster, Fernandez). They won't be able to sign a FA for more than the MLE this summer, so now they can resign Camby and still use the MLE to fill some other need.

crc21209
I seriously hope the Spurs do something before the deadline to make the frontcourt better.

Hopefully Adam, because the Spurs arent going to win shit with a TD, Dice, and Bonner combo. Bonner, Finley, and Mason must go for a big and another wing....come on Thomas and Salmons!

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-16-2010, 01:37 AM

Dwight Howard?

God you're such a front office homer. Where did he ever say that?

Teams are making moves to get better. Right now the Spurs are not one of them. Criticism is valid until they make an appropriate move.

Mr. Body
02-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Don't get this for Portland. LAC make a nice trade. Outlaw could be really nice in that roster and Blake's no slouch as a back-up.

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:39 AM
God you're such a front office homer. Where did he ever say that?

Teams are making moves to get better. Right now the Spurs are not one of them. Criticism is valid until they make an appropriate move.

Re read it again sunshine.

L.I.T
02-16-2010, 01:40 AM
The Clips have also been discontented with Al Thornton. Travis Outlaw is a more well-rounded player by far.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-16-2010, 01:40 AM

Dwight Howard?

anyone who is tall and a decent athlete and not old

thats what this team needs

noone is goign to beat the lakers unless they have alot of size
the chessboard has been set since that bastard ass pau gasol debacle

and we've done nothing to address the core issue

crc21209
02-16-2010, 01:41 AM
The Clips have also been discontented with Al Thornton. Travis Outlaw is a more well-rounded player by far.

Isn't Outlaw always hurt though?

Sisk
I'd think this cements that we are going to make a move, but the only one I can think of is salmons/thomas

Haywood is gone and maybe Camby now.. what else could we go after besides Thomas?

Libri
Watch the Spurs make a trade for somebody nobody expected.

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Don't get this for Portland. LAC make a nice trade. Outlaw could be really nice in that roster and Blake's no slouch as a back-up.

Exactly, if Griffen gets healthy a Kaman Griffen Outlaw frontcourt is very nice, along with their PG depth and flexibility roster wise.

Great trade IMO for the Clippers.

tdunk21

jamison for mason,fin,bonner+cash or pick??????????

objective

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/nba/players_l/20081111/3954.jpg?x=65&y=85&xc=1&yc=1&wc=164&hc=215&q=100&sig=vfBwkDL28fB_InX7Pmcf3Q--

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:44 AM

Tell me if a team has someone like this, would they want to trade them?

I'd love to know the names of the bigs that match that description as well that are available...

bigdog
Jamison doesn't isn't a good defender, imo. I don't see how he would help the Spurs.

Mr. Body

Who is the oldest has-been in the league?

crc21209
Exactly, if Griffen gets healthy a Kaman Griffen Outlaw frontcourt is very nice, along with their PG depth and flexibility roster wise.

Great trade IMO for the Clippers.

The thing is...the Clippers are cursed. They are NEVER right....whether it be health, coaching, etc. They are just damn cursed....like when Baron Davis signed with them to join Brand and then Brand bolted...:lol

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:45 AM
I'd think this cements that we are going to make a move, but the only one I can think of is salmons/thomas

Haywood is gone and maybe Camby now.. what else could we go after besides Thomas?

Tory Murphy I suppose, but, I doubt it.

Other than that, I don't see anything off the top of my head...

timtonymanu
02-16-2010, 01:46 AM

Spurs trade Mason, Mahinmi, and Bonner

for

Udonis Haslem and Carlos Arroyo from the Heat.

ShoogarBear
02-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Camby, oft-injured center, goes to the Blazers?

This could get ugly for him.

EricB
02-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Spurs trade Mason, Mahinmi, and Bonner

for

Udonis Haslem and Carlos Arroyo from the Heat.

Done, where do I sign.

EricB

He's currently on the plane rubbing his knees sayin "come on stay with me now"

clubalien

Dwight Howard?

i wouldn't mind him. I didn't know he was on the trading block though

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-16-2010, 01:49 AM

What, you mean Finley and Jefferson rotating at PF isn't going to work? [/Pop]

objective
02-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Who is the oldest has-been in the league?

I think I've found our next Spur! (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3222)

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Tell me if a team has someone like this, would they want to trade them?

I'd love to know the names of the bigs that match that description as well that are available...

Any team looking for cap relief with bigs. Damn, you are in rare obtuse form tonight. You cover more for this front office than anyone writing at the Excuse for News...

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Seriously, we need a V-bookie on Camby's health -- he's got no shot, right?

Camby in Portland?:lol

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm expecting someone like Brad Miller. :hat

L.I.T
02-16-2010, 01:52 AM
Isn't Outlaw always hurt though?

The deal on the Clippers side still makes more sense. They weren't going to resign Camby, probably weren't going to exercise the team option on Al Thornton. Outlaw is a solid young vet you can slot in with Kaman/Griffin/Gordon.

I think the last two years he's played almost the entire season; just injured this year.

murpjf88
Yeah, that's what doesn't make sense to me. Camby is a good half season rental but the Blazers aren't close enough to do anything with him. He may help them make the playoffs but that's about it.

Seems to me they are closer to the playoffs and a championship than the spurs. Perhaps this is probably the reason the Spurs didn't go after him.

timvp

Ouch. Good point. He better call Lloyd's of London and get a policy that covers his knees STAT.

lennyalderette
ok i got it guys the c.i.a move would be getting kaman somehow now that the clips got young talent and need some cash to come off. Of course i want tyrus thomas and salmons like the rest of yall, but if we dont get them maybe just maybe we go for ...drum roll please!!... Aaaaaal jefferson!!! That would be so awesome!! Discuss and talk some crap to me i know its coming

bigdog

I was about to say the same thing.

crc21209
02-16-2010, 01:54 AM

Brad Miller, Tyrus Thomas, and John Salmons for Bonner, Mason, Finley, Bogans, Mahinmi, cash, picks, etc.....Ok I can dream right? :lol

timvp
02-16-2010, 01:54 AM

Even better. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/3932)

lennyalderette
02-16-2010, 01:55 AM
well at least it (camby trade) takes away the old man trade we are so accustomed to!!! at least if we do in fact make a trade and pop realizes finley is not lebron james we will most certainly be getting younger

timvp
02-16-2010, 01:57 AM
well at least it (camby trade) takes away the old man trade we are so accustomed to!!! True. Trading a first rounder for Camby would have been a typical Spur-like move. And I doubt it would have helped much in the short-term or long-term.

clubalien
do to eric's sugesstion i looked and this seems to work http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ylppucj

lennyalderette

:lmao

timtonymanu
02-16-2010, 01:59 AM
is this trade even 100% official? ESPN changed the headline from being done to in talks.

mardigan
02-16-2010, 01:59 AM
do to eric's sugesstion i looked and this seems to work http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ylppucj
:lol
No good, Hollinger says it will only add one win.

ShoogarBear
02-16-2010, 02:00 AM

Hokey smokes. This year he's hitting 40% on threes and averaging 1.4 3PA per game.

His first six years in the league he took a total of one three pointer.

Pop could use him to backup Bonner.

bigdog
02-16-2010, 02:00 AM

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. :lol

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:01 AM

Very well played..

timvp
02-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Hokey smokes. Last year he hit 40% on threes and averaging 1.4 3PA per game.

Fixed.

But that's even better. It means he's reaaaally rested.

crc21209
is this trade even 100% official? ESPN changed the headline from being done to in talks.

You are right:

Source: Camby may head to Portland

ESPN.com news services

Two struggling teams looked to each other for help on Monday.

The Los Angeles Clippers were in discussion to trade forward-center Marcus Camby to the Portland Trail Blazers for Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

One source close to the situation initially said that the sides had agreed on the deal, but multiple sources later said that the deal was close but not completed. A Clippers source called the talks "substantive."

The 35-year-old Camby is second in the league in rebounding this season at 12.1 boards per game, to go along with 7.7 points. The Blazers have had a hole in the middle of their lineup since Greg Oden went down with a knee injury in December.

In a text message to ESPNLosAngeles.com, Camby said that he "hadn't heard anything about it" from either his agent or the Clippers. He has said that he would prefer to remain in Los Angeles, but he understands why his name continues to come up in trade talks.

The 6-foot-9 Outlaw is averaging 9.9 points and 3.5 rebounds per game in his seventh season with Portland. Blake, a 6-3 guard, is putting up 7.6 points and 4.0 assists per game. He's coming off a 20-point, 12-assist game in a win over the Suns before the All-Star break.

The Clippers have lost four straight and are on the outside looking in at the playoff race in the West. The Blazers are clinging to the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, but star guard Brandon Roy has been nursing injuries and the team has been up and down.

Ric Bucher covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4917644

EricB
The thing is...the Clippers are cursed. They are NEVER right....whether it be health, coaching, etc. They are just damn cursed....like when Baron Davis signed with them to join Brand and then Brand bolted...:lol

Ok, in THEORY IN THEORY AND PAPER

this is a great trade for the Clippers.

Guess I should've prefaced that :lol

ShoogarBear
02-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Fixed.

But that's even better. It means he's reaaaally rested.

Ah. That's what happens when you're out of the loop for a while.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Hopefully this happens..I don't want the Lakers to get Hinrich, so this would help prevent it..although Mr. Stern would just have to make 1 phone call and they would get him anyways, but I'm just saying..

It's a good trade because Portland doesn't really give anything up..

It's good for the Spurs because it prevents the FO from acquiring another old man..now please no Raja Bell or Brad Miller type of player..

EricB

Damn, at first you think no way, but it could work with his jumper and he's decent down low.

Brad Miller from 2003?

Yeah... Damn Sacramento :(

timvp
One source close to the situation initially said that the sides had agreed on the deal, but multiple sources later said that the deal was close but not completed.

:lol Bucher and ESPN fail.

crc21209
02-16-2010, 02:05 AM
:lol Bucher and ESPN fail.

:lol Whats new?

objective
02-16-2010, 02:05 AM
Hokey smokes. This year he's hitting 40% on threes and averaging 1.4 3PA per game.

actually it was last year, but he's still on the books in MN and listed as on their roster.

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Damn't Bucher, you better not have killed that trade you mfer...

lennyalderette
02-16-2010, 02:07 AM
pop used older big men and older pg's and veteran experience around a solid and fairly young timmy now that he is older even though he is putting up mvp numbers he need the exact opposite of that timmy needs a sidekick that is freaking athletic!!

duncan228
02-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Sources: Camby upset about trade to Blazers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-cambytrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby unknowingly attended his own farewell dinner on Monday night.

The Clippers are on the verge of completing a trade that will send Camby to the Portland Trail Blazers, league sources said, but the veteran center is not happy about the deal. Or the way he learned of it.

The proposed trade, which was first reported by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, will send Camby to Portland in exchange for forward Travis Outlaw, guard Steve Blake and cash.

In town in advance of their Tuesday game against the Trail Blazers, the Clippers were having a team dinner at Portland’s Ringside steakhouse Monday night when Camby received a call on his cell phone from Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard. Pritchard informed Camby that he will likely be traded to Portland once the league finalizes the deal on Tuesday.

After taking the call, Camby immediately walked out of the restaurant. A source close to him says he is “very upset” about the trade. He had hoped to re-sign with the Clippers this summer.

“He likes the Clippers, he likes the organization, he likes L.A.,” the source said. “His wife is not happy in L.A. And he’s not one for change. He’s definitely not happy about this.”

Camby isn’t the only one angry.

Said one Clipper: “All the guys are upset because our best defensive player got traded basically for a backup point guard and money.”

Outlaw, 25, played in 11 games this season before breaking his left foot, and the Clippers are unsure when he’ll play again. Blake, 29, is averaging 7.6 points and four assists in 51 games.

The Blazers have been searching for some inside help to deflect the blow of losing centers Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla. Some in the league also believe Pritchard wants to clear the way for Jerryd Bayless to get more time in the backcourt with Andre Miller.

The Clippers, meanwhile, also have been shopping forward Al Thornton, who was meeting with his agent Monday in Portland.

Camby, 35, is averaging seven points and 12 rebounds for the Clippers. He is making $9.1 million this season in the final year of his contract. Just last week, he told Yahoo! Sports he hoped the Clippers wouldn’t trade him.

“It feels good to be a wanted man, but I like it here,” Camby said.

Camby left the restaurant without most of his teammates getting a chance to tell him goodbye. He is not believed to have finished his meal.

Yahoo! Sports NBA columnist Adrian Wojnarowski contributed to this report.

lennyalderette
i swear if we got al jefferson we would def. beat the lakers

Libri
It's good for the Spurs because it prevents the FO from acquiring another old man

Deplete the old men market. :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-16-2010, 02:11 AM

Not really. Camby is an expiring and the Blazers want to shed some salary. They also want to make the playoffs and need a big, but have Oden/Gorilla coming back next year and thus can watch Camby leave after the season. Finally, they want to develop Batum and this opens time for him. Blake is expendable because they have a glut of PGs.

I don't see much in it for the Clips though. If this is true:

The Clippers, meanwhile, also have been shopping forward Al Thornton, who was meeting with his agent Monday in Portland.

...and they manage to trade Thornton, it will make a bit more sense as Outlaw upgrades them a smidgeon at SF.

crc21209
02-16-2010, 02:11 AM
Sources: Camby upset about trade to Blazers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-cambytrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby unknowingly attended his own farewell dinner on Monday night.

The Clippers are on the verge of completing a trade that will send Camby to the Portland Trail Blazers, league sources said, but the veteran center is not happy about the deal. Or the way he learned of it.

The proposed trade, which was first reported by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, will send Camby to Portland in exchange for forward Travis Outlaw, guard Steve Blake and cash.

In town in advance of their Tuesday game against the Trail Blazers, the Clippers were having a team dinner at Portland’s Ringside steakhouse Monday night when Camby received a call on his cell phone from Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard. Pritchard informed Camby that he will likely be traded to Portland once the league finalizes the deal on Tuesday.

After taking the call, Camby immediately walked out of the restaurant. A source close to him says he is “very upset” about the trade. He had hoped to re-sign with the Clippers this summer.

“He likes the Clippers, he likes the organization, he likes L.A.,” the source said. “His wife is not happy in L.A. And he’s not one for change. He’s definitely not happy about this.”

Said one Clipper: “All the guys are upset because our best defensive player got traded basically for a backup point guard and money.”

Outlaw, 25, played in 11 games this season before breaking his left foot, and the Clippers are unsure when he’ll play again. Blake, 29, is averaging 7.6 points and four assists in 51 games.

The Blazers have been searching for some inside help to deflect the blow of losing centers Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla. Some in the league also believe Pritchard wants to clear the way for Jerryd Bayless to get more time in the backcourt with Andre Miller.

Camby, 35, is averaging seven points and 12 rebounds for the Clippers. He is making $9.1 million this season in the final year of his contract. Just last week, he told Yahoo! Sports he hoped the Clippers wouldn’t trade him.

Camby left the restaurant without most of his teammates getting a chance to tell him goodbye. He is not believed to have finished his meal.

Wow....sounds like he's pretty damn pissed. If so, the Blazers might have just fucked up some chemistry...

ShoogarBear
02-16-2010, 02:12 AM
He is not believed to have finished his meal.

Wonder if Sterling was able to get a comp for that.

HoopsCzar
02-16-2010, 02:13 AM

Adding Camby,..

Oh yes they are contenders with him manning the post. They're only 5 games behind Denver in their division and and only 10 behind the lakers when they didn't even have a center aside from a 37 year old PF Juwan Howard playing the position,..here comes Portland.

ShoogarBear
02-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Wow....sounds like he's pretty damn pissed. If so, the Blazers might have just fucked up some chemistry...

Nah, I'm sure Andre Miller will welcome him to the family.

timtonymanu
02-16-2010, 02:14 AM
By Marc J. Spears

wasnt Camby insulted when the Thuggets traded him to LA? Now he likes being in LA.

mardigan
02-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Is there any decent NBA player who gets traded for less than Camby?

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:18 AM
God Camby is such a drama queen...

objective
02-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Sounds like Camby already has his vacation reservations paid for . . . now he has to go to the playoffs?

toki9
02-16-2010, 02:20 AM
Wonder how Roy feels about losing Blake?

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Sounds like Camby already has his vacation reservations paid for . . . now he has to go to the playoffs?

That Atlantis resort is hard to get reservations in may late April...

HoopsCzar
02-16-2010, 02:21 AM

Nope,..

He'll come around to playing ball and will even come to enjoy Nate McMill and having more fun winning and getting playoff money performing with all that talent the Blazers have,..they'll be fine.

HoopsCzar
02-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Wonder how Roy feels about losing Blake?

He'll adjust,..

They've got other guards they just got a legit big to really be able to crank it back up.

ElNono
02-16-2010, 02:25 AM
There's some washed up over the hill veteran we're overlooking and Spurs are targetting... I wonder who it is...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-16-2010, 02:26 AM
ok i got it guys the c.i.a move would be getting kaman somehow now that the clips got young talent and need some cash to come off. Of course i want tyrus thomas and salmons like the rest of yall, but if we dont get them maybe just maybe we go for ...drum roll please!!... Aaaaaal jefferson!!! That would be so awesome!! Discuss and talk some crap to me i know its coming

Hey man, what you smokin? I want me some! :smokin

Al Jefferson? Where the fuck did that come from? What have we got that Minne wants?

As for: "Of course i want tyrus thomas and salmons like the rest of yall" - since when did that become popular? :wow I foresaw that as a potential trade 6 weeks ago on here and at the time no-one liked or wanted it, and gave me shit for suggesting it. At the time, I said I wasn't totally sold either, but I like the upside on Thomas (even though he's a major headcase... could Pop and Tim get through to him?), and Salmons is solid and might thrive in (or be crushed by! See: Jefferson, R.) our System.

Do I think it's the right move now - for scraps and expirings, yes, for young assets or Manu, still not sold. I hope he retires a Spur, even though he's now no more than a good 6th man. He runs the second unit well, and he's learning to play with his diminished physical capacity. I think he's got another two years as a Spur in him before he retires.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-16-2010, 02:26 AM
There's some washed up over the hill veteran we're overlooking and Spurs are targetting... I wonder who it is...

Larry Hughes.

:vomit:

Libri
02-16-2010, 02:43 AM
“He likes the Clippers, he likes the organization, he likes L.A.,” the source said.It seems Camby is content with failure.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 02:50 AM
It seems Camby is content with failure.

Or that he's almost 36, playing for his 4th NBA team, and would be perfectly content to wait until July and pick where he'll go for last contract.

ShoogarBear
02-16-2010, 02:52 AM
He'll still be able to do that.

Given this is the second time he's had this reaction, I think he just wants to be wanted.

I mean, these trades always happen around Valentine's Day, too.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 02:55 AM
Apparently, the Clips have to waive/ do another trade for this trade would mean that they will have 16 guaranteed contracts -

http://clipperblog.com/2010/02/15/marcus-camby-dealt/

UPDATE: This trade has not yet been made official. The inclusion of cash going to the Clippers has now been mentioned by various sources. The Clippers will retain the Bird Rights to both Outlaw and Blake once their contracts expire.

A few things to keep in mind:

If the trade stands as currently constructed, the Clippers roster will be over the limit at 16 players, all of which are on guaranteed contracts. This could mean there is another trade in the works, or more realistically that someone will be bought out of their contract or waived.

The Clippers did not hold the bird rights to Marcus Camby. If this trade goes through, they will hold the Bird Rights for both Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake for next Summer.
The details are still fuzzy, but the Clippers stand to make money off the trade even if cash is not directly included in the deal.

Check back for more details as they become available.

timvp
02-16-2010, 02:57 AM
Blazers probably sent $3 million to the Clips and Sterling couldn't wait to sign off on it.

objective
02-16-2010, 02:57 AM
The Clippers did not hold the bird rights to Marcus Camby.

anybody know as to why that would be the case? He was under a long term deal when they traded for him . . . shouldn't that equal them having his bird rights?

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 02:58 AM
He'll still be able to do that.

Given this is the second time he's had this reaction, I think he just wants to be wanted.

I mean, these trades always happen around Valentine's Day, too.

Well, I'm not crying for a guy who has made nearly $100M for playing a game, just saying that he'd probably rather finish out the season at home with a loser than live out of suitcases for a few months to play up in Portland. I'm sure he'll get over it.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 03:00 AM
anybody know as to why that would be the case? He was under a long term deal when they traded for him . . . shouldn't that equal them having his bird rights?

That report is wrong. The Clippers hold full Bird rights to Camby and they will transfer to Portland with the trade.

02-16-2010, 03:06 AM
makes sense for both teams. blazers can go back to competing in the playoffs with all their players healthy and without a big hole in the middle. the clippers get outlaw, who is a better defender than thornton and can score some points. outlaw will develop into a nice roleplayer who can become an elite defender with further development.

personally, i think the clippers could have milked more value out of camby but outlaw seems like a sufficient young piece for the clippers.

Bruno
02-16-2010, 03:07 AM
Camby was the most obvious trade target for Spurs, he likely will be traded for quite nothing. Not a good news.

HoopsCzar
02-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Blazers probably sent $3 million to the Clips and Sterling couldn't wait to sign off on it.

Exactly,..

I'm surprised the NBA doesn't pressure him to sell the team to get rid of him. He's a sheer cash grab cancer that isn't interested in competitively flooring a winner at all.

Bob Johnson is selling down in Charlotte and that's a blessing to the league. For Carolina fans and the NBA I hope Jordan gets ownership of that team because he'll deliver them a winner.

Mark in Austin
02-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Wow - Camby is pissed. Pritchard's people skills continue to shine. Are we sure it wasn't Pritchard who wrote those emails to Scola criticizing his game? :lol

With Webster and Batum causing a SF logjam, I can see why the Blazers did the trade.

Camby can help right away, and if he clicks could be resigned during the summer.

But I'm with everyone who said the Blazer's injury bug and Cotton Camby are a bad mix. That's just spitting into the wind.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Camby was the most obvious trade target for Spurs, he likely will be traded for quite nothing. Not a good news.

I agree. The Spurs missed out. The rest of the remaining targets are not as much a "fill a need"er as much as Camby was (with all his flaws notwithstanding).

Always knew though that the Blazers were among those who were in the buyers market for Camby.

baseline bum
02-16-2010, 03:15 AM
Wonder if Sterling was able to get a comp for that.

Bruno
02-16-2010, 03:16 AM
I agree. The Spurs missed out. The rest of the remaining targets are not as much a "fill a need"er as much as Camby was (with all his flaws notwithstanding).

Spurs could do some surprise trades. There area tons of better players in the league than Camby. I will wait to see what Spurs do (if they do something) before having some kind of regrets.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 03:27 AM
Spurs could do some surprise trades. There area tons of better players in the league than Camby. I will wait to see what Spurs do (if they do something) before having some kind of regrets.

Yeah. I would love to be pleasantly surprised as well. With so many teams wanting to get under the cap and shedding contracts, something ought to happen. Only there is very little traction about it in the media circles and I don't envisage anything major without touching Manu's expiring, which for me will be a shame.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm glad we didn't get the chance to trade a first round pick for a short term rental on a guy older than Dice.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 03:37 AM
Well that's the first step, unfortunately there are plenty of old guys that could still be available..

EricB
02-16-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm glad we didn't get the chance to trade a first round pick for a short term rental on a guy older than Dice.

Yeah don't get the hand wringing over Marcus freakin Camby,...

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 03:40 AM
I wouldn't be that glad to lose out on a guy with a 18+ PER, has 12.1 RPG, 2 BPG at age 36, has an expiring contract, just because I can save on a first round pick most likely in the late 20s. That too, when I have spent a fortune above cap space to win a championship within the Tim Duncan window.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Camby is probably the 2nd most overrated player in the NBA based on his stats, only behind his teammate Chris Kaman..maybe Biedrins is there too..there's a reason Nuggets fans were so happy to see him go..

He's a good player, but he has a lot of flaws and bad tendencies that won't change at his age..

He can rebound and block shots, but he can't defend 1 on 1 in the post, he misses a lot of rotations, takes a lot of bad shots and is horrible at defending the pick and roll..

The Spurs need some players that are under 30..

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't be that glad to lose out on a guy with a 18+ PER, has 12.1 RPG, 2 BPG at age 36, has an expiring contract, just because I can save on a first round pick most likely in the late 20s. That too, when I have spent a fortune above cap space to win a championship within the Tim Duncan window.

You know if we were 38-13 and battling the Lakers for the top seed in the West, I'd be all for giving up a pick to get Camby. Unfortunately, we're 30-21 and one significant injury away from the lottery. Adding Camby makes the team better this season, but it doesn't nearly bridge the gulf between the Spurs and the Lakers. If we're going to give up a first rounder, we should get back a player who helps us beyond this season. So, I'm glad Camby is no longer available.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 03:47 AM
Camby is probably the 2nd most overrated player in the NBA based on his stats, only behind his teammate Chris Kaman..maybe Biedrins is there too..there's a reason Nuggets fans were so happy to see him go..

He's a good player, but he has a lot of flaws and bad tendencies that won't change at his age..

He can rebound and block shots, but he can't defend 1 on 1 in the post, he misses a lot of rotations, takes a lot of bad shots and is horrible at defending the pick and roll..

Yeah .. except he has a +8.5 in adjusted +/- (source: BasketballvalueDOTcom (http://bit.ly/4TisjG)) and a good PER and all those objective metrics. One wonders how he manages to be in the Top 50 players in such stats and still be so bad as you make him out to be.

With all his flaws, he could still have been a good presence in the stretch run relieving Tim off some interior defense pressure.

But yes, no use lamenting now. He will play for the Blazers who don't have a decent defensive big and will suck.

mountainballer
02-16-2010, 03:49 AM

they made Al Thornton available, so he isn't in their plans for the future. Outlaw would be a player, who could take this role for years to come. makes a lot of sense for the Clippers.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Yeah .. except he has a +8.5 in adjusted +/- (source: BasketballvalueDOTcom (http://bit.ly/4TisjG)) and a good PER and all those objective metrics. One wonders how he manages to be in the Top 50 players in such stats and still be so bad as you make him out to be.

With all his flaws, he could still have been a good presence in the stretch run relieving Tim off some interior defense pressure.

But yes, no use lamenting now. He will play for the Blazers who don't have a decent defensive big and will suck.

As I said, he's a good player, but he's severely flawed and overrated..

Of course his PER is high, he has solid numbers..PER also loves rebounding and he's one of the best rebounders in the NBA..his +/- is also always higher due to the poor depth that's usually behind him on his teams..the players behind him are usually pretty horrible..

Everything I said is a fact though..he does his own thing with team defense and he's too skinny and frail to be a good defender in the post..the best teams can expose Camby's defense, as we've seen with the old Spurs teams(Nene was always much more effective in defending Duncan)..the Lakers also severely exposed him in their series vs. Denver in Camby's last year there..

The Spurs don't need any more old-ass players, we have enough of them..

blkroadrunners
02-16-2010, 03:58 AM
they made Al Thornton available, so he isn't in their plans for the future. Outlaw would be a player, who could take this role for years to come. makes a lot of sense for the Clippers.

Yea, Outlaw's definitely an upgrade over Thornton, IMO.

all_heart
02-16-2010, 08:39 AM

+10000

He's not what we need. We need younger players who hustle. If only Blair was a 7 footer... :wow

I don't buy into all that PER stuff, it doesn't take into account the little things that impact the game.

Pero
02-16-2010, 08:50 AM
By Marc J. Spears

So Camby's happy in LA but his wife isn't and that's why he doesn't want to move? :lol

Bukefal
02-16-2010, 08:57 AM
His wife is not happy in L.A.?

The original artice on the link says that his wife is happy in L.A.

“He likes the Clippers, he likes the organization, he likes L.A.,” the source said. “His wife is happy in L.A. And he’s not one for change. He’s definitely not happy about this.

Dr. Gonzo
02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Is Tree Rollins available to come out of retirement?

TJastal
02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Clearly

the campaign for teams to match up better with the Lakers is really really kicking into gear.

Size. That's what it all boils down to. Size, and length.
Lakers and Magic were two of biggest teams from top to bottom, and they made the finals last year.

Spurs are going to be a total relic by the end of this regular season if we don't do something fast.

Nah, it was all that bball IQ spurstalk regulars preach about constantly...

:rollin :lol

SenorSpur
02-16-2010, 09:52 AM

Amen!

For once, I was pleased to see a team, other than the Spurs, trade for a player in the +30 age range.

This trade does two things:

1. Takes the Blazers out of any potential Tyrus Thomas trade war
2. Could potentially make Travis Outlaw available this summer.

Pero
02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
His wife is not happy in L.A.?

The original artice on the link says that his wife is happy in L.A.

Probably they saw the mistake in original original article and edited it.:lol

TJastal
02-16-2010, 10:06 AM

His jumpshot (if you want to call it that) is the ugliest shooting form I've ever seen on a basketball court. Which makes him practically useless with anything other farther than 5 feet and almost assures if he was a spur his man won't be stationed more than a few feet from the paint and would disrupt the entire spurs' offense.

Chomag
02-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Is Tree Rollins available to come out of retirement?

Nah, but I hear Manute Bol, and Cadillac Anderson might be getting ready. I also heard from a friend that said her sisters cousin's cousin's friend told him that he saw Mosses Malone working out at the gym... so ya never know.:lol

Anyone here heard where Shawn Bradley might be these days?:wakeup

Pistons < Spurs
02-16-2010, 11:20 AM
WojYahooNBA

Portland is throwing $3 million into Camby package, league source says. That's why Clips chose this deal -- not anything else.

timvp
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
WojYahooNBA

Portland is throwing $3 million into Camby package, league source says. That's why Clips chose this deal -- not anything else.

Yeah, figures. $3 million is how much it costs to buy a first round pick so there's no way the Spurs could have beaten this deal. Blake and Outlaw are quality players in addition to being expiring contracts. The first round pick the Spurs could have offered was matched by that cash.

So, in other words, we're back to knowing nothing about what the Spurs are thinking or doing.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah, figures. $3 million is how much it costs to buy a first round pick so there's no way the Spurs could have beaten this deal. Blake and Outlaw are quality players in addition to being expiring contracts. The first round pick the Spurs could have offered was matched by that cash.

So, in other words, we're back to knowing nothing about what the Spurs are thinking or doing.

Yup. The Spurs can't pander to Greed. And that is good for the values' based organisation that they are.

No wonder Camby is so angry. He has been sold not for any reason to improve, but for Sterling to make some dough. That hurt his supper, indeed.

SenorSpur
02-16-2010, 11:32 AM
And hopefully the Spurs didn't try to beat this deal. The Spurs are desparate for a young athletic big. The last thing the Spurs need is another AARP candidate.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Yup. The Spurs can't pander to Greed. And that is good for the values' based organisation that they are.

No wonder Camby is so angry. He has been sold not for any reason to improve, but for Sterling to make some dough. That hurt his supper, indeed.

Sterling seems to always put $$ before team success.

But Camby's older than dirt with a shit-ton of mileage and is not in their long term plans. I don't even fault Sterling for getting rid of him, and if someone handed me 3 million dollars to dump him, I certainly wouldn't object either.

Libri
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM

I'm praying it's not an old washed up player.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Marcus-Camby-is-not-happy-and-nearly-a-Trail-Bl;_ylt=AvEwMX1MjDHYq4C75sDMk_u8vLYF?urn=nba,21994 5

Kelly Dwyer and I share the same sentiments over this trade of Camby's.

We knew Camby was gone as soon as Dunleavy retired to the front office. But for this? No prospects, no draft picks, the same amount of expiring money that Camby was going to provide had he stayed on? Just a little cash thrown Sterling's way? It's pathetic. It's so damn Clipper-y. I hate that. You should too.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Marcus-Camby-is-not-happy-and-nearly-a-Trail-Bl;_ylt=AvEwMX1MjDHYq4C75sDMk_u8vLYF?urn=nba,21994 5

Kelly Dwyer and I share the same sentiments over this trade of Camby's.

Sorry, I don't see the logic. The trade is not lazy, it's very shrewd and intelligent.

Who really cares if Travis Outlaw doesn't play this year. The clippers aren't in the playoff hunt. Their star player won't be back till next year either. There's no rush and he's a great role player to have, as is Blake.

Sounds like you two are just butthurt Camby fans.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Sorry, I don't see the logic. The trade is not lazy, it's very shrewd and intelligent.

Who really cares if Travis Outlaw doesn't play this year. The clippers aren't in the playoff hunt. Their star player won't be back till next year either. There's no rush and he's a great role player to have, as is Blake.

Sounds like you two are just butthurt Camby fans.

Yeah.. we kinda like a veteran who did well this season for a shitty squad by doing good at the PF position - turns out the only position where the Clippers were better against every team they played overall this season -

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910LAC5.HTM

And it is easy to root against an ass**** that is Donald Sterling.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah.. we kinda like a veteran who did well this season for a shitty squad by doing good at the PF position - turns out the only position where the Clippers were better against every team they played overall this season -

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910LAC5.HTM

And it is easy to root against an ass**** that is Donald Sterling.

Well that's great for Camby and all but the clippers have this guy named Blake Griffin who is supposedly a pretty good PF in his own right. :rollin

WTF is Sterling supposed to do, keep Camby for another 2-3 years and stunt Griffin's development?

CGD
02-16-2010, 12:08 PM

I'm with TJastal on this one. This is a great trade for BOTH team.

In Camby the Blazers get a Rent-a-Center for the rest of this year, which makes sense since Oden and Pryz should be back for next year.

Blazers give up a player at a position where they are already stacked plus an 3rd string PG who has overachieved.

Clips get great talent and value coming back and $$ for a player who most likely they were going to lose/not pick up in FA anyway.

phxspurfan
02-16-2010, 12:09 PM
With Camby and Haywood gone, there's not much left out there to trade for. Unless we start thinking about dealing Manu for a star big (which I dreamt about last night).

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Well that's great for Camby and all but the clippers have this guy named Blake Griffin who is supposedly a pretty good PF in his own right. :rollin

WTF is Sterling supposed to do, keep Camby for another 2-3 years and stunt Griffin's development?

No..

But try getting a pick or two from Portland instead of $3 million in cash (that he is anyways not going to spend on basketball) to go along with the buying of a player who is not going to play much this season (Outlaw) and another who is merely a backup.

Even the Spurs would have offered more than the chump change that the Blazers did.

E-RockWill
02-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Re read it again sunshine.

Why, oh why, must you be such a dick? :bang

TJastal
02-16-2010, 12:35 PM
No..

But try getting a pick or two from Portland instead of $3 million in cash (that he is anyways not going to spend on basketball) to go along with the buying of a player who is not going to play much this season (Outlaw) and another who is merely a backup.

Even the Spurs would have offered more than the chump change that the Blazers did.

Chump change? I don't think so. And again, the clippers can wait on Outlaw, they are in no rush for his services this year. The clippers are 21-31 and out of contention.

Outlaw is no chump. He will be a great role player off the bench for them next year as he was in Portland. They needed a decent backup point guard (Telfair sucks apparently). How long did the spurs dick around looking for a decent backup point guard? They don't grow on trees.

And if the clippers lose a few more games this year by losing Camby it only increases their chances in the lottery, so that angle is covered as well. Any way you look at it, your argument fails.

ABrooks111
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm actually a bit relieved. For whatever we would give up, I don't think Camby would improve our team. This trade doesn't help Portland's chances in the West, IMO.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Chump change? I don't think so. And again, the clippers can wait on Outlaw, they are in no rush for his services this year. The clippers are 21-31 and out of contention.

Outlaw is no chump. He will be a great role player off the bench for them next year as he was in Portland. They needed a decent backup point guard (Telfair sucks apparently). How long did the spurs dick around looking for a decent backup point guard? They don't grow on trees.

And if the clippers lose a few more games this year by losing Camby it only increases their chances in the lottery, so that angle is covered as well. Any way you look at it, your argument fails.

What makes you think that Travis Outlaw is going to stay with the Clips next season when he is a free agent? The only leverage that the Clips would have are his Bird's rights.

And you can add all the polish to Steve Blake's talents, but he isn't the answer to the Clips' squad and neither is he going to stay in Sterling hell beyond this season.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 12:41 PM
No..

I pretty sure that's not true. What combination of Spurs assets do you propose would be judged more valuable by the Clippers than Blake, Outlaw, and $3M.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I pretty sure that's not true. What combination of Spurs assets do you propose would be judged more valuable by the Clippers than Blake, Outlaw, and $3M.

A draft pick in the future? or Ian Mahinmi to go along with Bonner and Mason.

But I agree with you on one thing. *ANY* other team would have tried to get a draft pick in a bargain for Camby; the Clips are satisfied with $3 million. Possibly it helps Sterling recompense that payoffs he made for those racism charges.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 12:50 PM

But I agree with you on one thing. *ANY* other team would have tried to get a draft pick in a bargain for Camby; the Clips are satisfied with $3 million. Possibly it helps Sterling recompense that payoffs he made for those racism charges.

There you go. The Clips value the 3M more than a pick and they probably value Outlaw as a future Clipper more than Bonner, Mason, Ian, or any expiring Spur contract. For what the Clips were after, no reasonable offer from the Spurs could top what Portland put on the table.

tlongII
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
It's all about the money baby. It's all about the money. :smokin

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
There you go. The Clips value the 3M more than a pick and they probably value Outlaw as a future Clipper more than Bonner, Mason, Ian, or any expiring Spur contract. For what the Clips were after, no reasonable offer from the Spurs could top what Portland put on the table.

Hmm..to reiterate that point again though- why would Outlaw resigning with the Clips be a given, considering he too is a free agent? And that the Clips have never spent beyond the cap?

benefactor
02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Somewhere rascal is crying...

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Hmm..to reiterate that point again though- why would Outlaw resigning with the Clips be a given, considering he too is a free agent? And that the Clips have never spent beyond the cap?

It's not a given.

It's just that recent reports have the Clips ready to part company with Thornton. That means they have an opening for a SF. Outlaw is a better candidate for that role than any Spur with an expiring contract. They will have full Bird rights on Outlaw and have plenty of projected cap space this summer.

Mostly it's about the 3M.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 12:57 PM
What makes you think that Travis Outlaw is going to stay with the Clips next season when he is a free agent? The only leverage that the Clips would have are his Bird's rights.

And you can add all the polish to Steve Blake's talents, but he isn't the answer to the Clips' squad and neither is he going to stay in Sterling hell beyond this season.

Why wouldn't they stick around? Griffin is locked up and is going to be a great player in the league and they have a decent nucleus of players - Davis, Thornton, Kaman, Gordon, Butler, and Jordan.

I'll be willing to bet you that both of them stick around unless Sterling low balls them. The clippers are going to be an exciting up and coming team next year and an attractive destination for free agents.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Somewhere rascal is crying...

Count on him to tell us that Manu should have been traded for Camby.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 12:58 PM

SenorSpur
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM

The Spurs had better make a run for Outlaw this offseason.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah.. I guess.. there is no point rueing over the Camby miss. Here's wishing the Spurs get that much required big with good size to help out Tim.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I wonder if the same people who were willing to have Camby come in and play center even though he's gone next year would have a problem with a guy who's already on the roster playing center even though he's gone next year.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
The Spurs had better make a run for Outlaw this offseason.

Doing so means not pursuing Splitter. Can't have both unless you think both contracts would fit under the MLE.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Doing so means not pursuing Splitter. Can't have both unless you think both contracts would fit under the MLE.

I can see Splitter demanding the full MLE, a starting job from day 1, regular back massages, and no questions asked every single summer when plays on his Brazilian national team before he'll sign.

And Pop will bend over backwards to accomodate.

SenorSpur
02-16-2010, 01:33 PM

I doubt it, but the Spurs could free up salary space by finding a team to take RJ's soon-to-be-expiring contract off their hands.

Screw Splitter. I've got no faith that he'll even be in the mix next year.

If the Spurs can get their mitts on Outlaw, they should go for it.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 01:44 PM
I doubt it, but the Spurs could free up salary space by finding a team to take RJ's soon-to-be-expiring contract off their hands.

Screw Splitter. I've got no faith that he'll even be in the mix next year.

If the Spurs can get their mitts on Outlaw, they should go for it.

They'll definitely have to choose. No way to make RJ's salary disappear. Not saying he couldn't be traded, but there's no way he will be traded for cap space. Could you imagine one of these teams that have gone through so much losing to get in position for a major signing this summer using that hard earned cap space to get RJ? The contracts that come back will leave them over the cap, so just the MLE to target a new player.

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Ricky Davis waived (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA) to accommodate trade . . .

Bruno
02-16-2010, 02:28 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/02/pritchard_trade_for_marcus_cam.html

The Blazers will send guard Steve Blake, forward Travis Outlaw and $1.5 million to the Clippers

Spurs could have easily outbid Blazers by taking Telfair contract. I guess it shows that Spurs didn't really want Camby.

yavozerb
02-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Ricky Davis waived (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA) to accommodate trade . . .

I think this is to fit blake and outlaw on there roster..

TJastal
02-16-2010, 02:33 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/02/pritchard_trade_for_marcus_cam.html

Spurs could have easily outbid Blazers by taking Telfair contract. I guess it shows that Spurs didn't really want Camby.

With what? Bonner and Mason? Finley?

I. Hustle
02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
lol breaking news!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4918893 LOL (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4918893)

angelbelow
02-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Outlaw is a good pick up but does this mean that theyre giving up on Thornton? Not that im interested in Thornton..

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I would assume so..Thornton is one of the biggest cancers in the NBA though, so it'll be interesting to see which teams takes him on..

angelbelow
02-16-2010, 03:29 PM

The only angle I see is if they were interested in Outlaws talent.. otherwise it does seem like the Spurs could have matched in at least expiriings.

PDXSpursFan
02-16-2010, 03:38 PM
The 3 player involved (Camby, Blake & Outlook) are expiring. So this deal was only about the $1.5 mil cash the Clippers' owner get.

barbacoataco
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm going to disagree with a lot of y'all and say this is good for the Blazers. Outlaw is not as good as Webster, Batum or Rudy, and Blake shouldn't be playing over Miller and Bayless.

Also, I wouldn't count the Blazers out as contenders. They are one of the few teams who have consistently beat the Lakers recently. They have crazy talent, depth and size. Even with so many injuries they are competing.
Oden may come back for the playoffs in limited minutes. IF everyone gets healthy by playoff time they could be a darkhorse team to make some noise in the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Did anybody say it's bad for the Blazers?(serious question, I didn't really check)..

It's definitely a good deal for Portland, they didn't really give anything up and they desperately need a C..they're young enough that adding an old guy like Camby doesn't affect their team in a negative way..

dbestpro
02-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Camby does not want to play for Portland and he told them that. It is never good to have a player on your team that would rather be else where.

Phonzie20
02-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Camby does not want to play for Portland and he told them that. It is never good to have a player on your team that would rather be else where.

He did the same thing when Denver moved him and he got over it.

dbestpro
02-16-2010, 04:40 PM
He did the same thing when Denver moved him and he got over it.

That was because he got to live in LA. Portland for 1/2 season at his age is not a desired destination.

02-16-2010, 04:44 PM
the yahoo article says this was about money. i think the clippers are genuinley interested in outlaw. his defense and 3pt shooting on the wing would greatly compliment eric gordon, kaman, and hopefully griffin eventually. now they just have to find a way to trade baron davis so he stops chucking 3 pt shots after holding the ball for 23 seconds. clippers are banking on gordon and griffin becoming future all stars with kaman and outlaw as complimentary players.

scottspurs
02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
It sounds like Camby is actually really pissed off about being traded.

DPG21920
02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
1.5M. I said when I first heard this rumor that the Spurs could easily have matched the Portland offer. I honestly have no idea what the Spurs are trying to do besides move Mason and Dice.

Bruno
02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
If Camby is really pissed, then Spurs were right not to go after him.

Blazers aren't a contender but they are light years better than Clippers. If Camby is upset about going to a better team, you can question his motivation.

DPG21920
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
He already said he likes living in LA and his family was happy there.

PDXSpursFan
02-16-2010, 05:59 PM
He already said he likes living in LA and his family was happy there.

Same thing he said when traded from Denver to LA

ace3g
02-16-2010, 09:49 PM
funny the Blazers are playing the clippers tonight, that will be a little awkward

DJB
02-17-2010, 01:47 AM

They're all gone... Unless we want to trade TP, which I'm all for. The guys got billboards in LA, I drive past one every morning on my way to work. TP for Bynum. Do it.

Blackjack
02-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Twitter: (http://twitter.com/blazersedge/status/9222236797)

B Roy tells reporters after the game he is worried that his season could be in jeopardy as his hamstring is not progressing. V. Frustrated

timvp
02-17-2010, 02:47 AM
:lmao I knew Roy would be mad that his boy Blake was traded away, but I didn't think he'd go that far.

EricB
02-17-2010, 02:50 AM
:lmao I knew Roy would be mad that his boy Blake was traded away, but I didn't think he'd go that far.

Roy is to blake as Francis is to Mobley?

Blackjack
02-17-2010, 02:54 AM
I guess the v-bookie should've been on Roy, not Camby, eh?

Blackjack
02-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Could Brandon Roy be done for the year? (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/could-brandon-roy-be-done-for-the-year.php)

By Matt Moore

The Portland Trailblazers have given new meaning to snakebit. Murphy's Law has actually been renamed The McMillan Corollary. They've lost more guys to injury than a squad in Modern Warfare. But Martell Webster is back, they just traded for Marcus Camby to help with their frontcourt decimation, and surely things are looking brighter, right?

Welll...

Via Blazers Edge on Twitter:

B Roy tells reporters after the game he is worried that his season could be in jeopardy as his hamstring is not progressing. V. Frustrated

Roy did play in the game, after missing 15 games because of the hamstring he played 15 minutes and looked uncomfortable. He was 2 of 7 from the floor, then did not play in the second half.

After the game, Roy said, "I think if this [pain] is with me the whole season then I don't really have a shot at playing. This is bad. I don't know. It's something I have to talk to coach about. It's to the point where I can't play because it hurts too bad."

If Roy is done for the season, you can kiss the playoffs goodbye for this club. Even with their admirable performance without him to keep the team afloat, there's just not enough offense, especially with Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake moved to LA for them to keep pace. Losing Roy would be a catastrophic for this team's outlook both short-term and long-term for deciding if this core is on track to contend for the Finals.

At this point, we're headed straight for "The Curse of Darius Miles" territory. Hopefully Roy's hamstring will respond to treatment and he'll be back in time for the final playoff push. But then, we're still looking for something that's turned out right for Portland this year.

Agloco
02-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Watch the Spurs make a trade for nobody.

FIFY

I've come to the conclusion that the Spurs are screwed either way. No one who is available could improve the Spurs so much as to get them over the hump. If they do execute a trade, they most likely get a shitty contract(s) in return. After RJ, the FO isn't likely to bite.

The only appealing trades left are for Chicago - TT/J Sal and Philly - AI2/Sammy Dal. I don't see the FO signing off on the Philly contracts so that leaves TT and J Sal, neither of whom bring us a championship.

:depressed