PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Mason open to a trade

duncan228
02-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Spurs' Mason open to a trade (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Mason_open_to_a_trade.html)
Jeff McDonald

Last Thursday, one week before the NBA's trade deadline and one day before the start of the All-Star break, Roger Mason Jr. underscored his desire to remain a Spur for life.

“I want to be in San Antonio for my career,” Mason told the Express-News after the Spurs' victory in Denver.

At some point over the break, Mason's mind apparently changed. Mark Bartelstein, Mason's agent, on Monday told the Express-News the veteran guard would be amenable to a trade if it offered him a chance for more playing time.

Bartelstein, however, refused to characterize his conversations with Spurs general manager R.C. Buford and coach Gregg Popovich as a formal trade request.

“It's not a trade demand,” Bartelstein said. “It's simply, if there's an answer to the problem of not enough minutes, and everybody can come out good, they should look at that. That's all that's going on.”

Messages left on Mason's cell phone went unreturned Monday night. Reached via text message at the Kansas-Texas A&M game in College Station, Buford declined comment.

Mason, 29, has previously expressed disappointment with his limited playing time this season. Last season, his first with the Spurs, Mason averaged 11.8 points and more than 30 minutes per game, both career highs. His playing time has dipped to less than 20 minutes per game this season, and he is averaging 7.4 points.

Still, Bartelstein said Mason would be comfortable finishing the season in San Antonio if a trade partner could not be found before Thursday's deadline.

“One of the things I really enjoy about working with the Spurs is you can have conversations like this, where you can find something that is good for everyone,” Bartelstein said. “They really try to do the right thing by players.”

The Spurs should be able to find plenty of interest in Mason, who owns an expiring contract worth $3.75 million.

One league executive said he expects the Spurs to make overtures at the Miami Heat, who are shopping a number of players, including power forward Udonis Haslem and small forward Dorell Wright.

timtonymanu
02-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Expect a thread for Haslem and Wright now.

bigdog
Hmm...Spurs looking at Heat for trade possibilities?
I like Udonis as a player, but he's not the size the Spurs need. I wouldn't mind Dorell Wright, though.

crc21209
Interesting, someone mentioned a possible Haslem/Arroyo trade idea in one of the other threads...

hsxvvd
02-16-2010, 02:05 AM
Spurs' Mason open to a trade (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Mason_open_to_a_trade.html)
Jeff McDonald

One league executive said he expects the Spurs to make overtures at the Miami Heat, who are shopping a number of players, including power forward Udonis Haslem and small forward Dorell Wright.

:toast

mardigan
I dont even want to think about Haslem. That trade wouldn't put the Spurs at the top of the West, but he sure would help tremendously.

timtonymanu
Interesting, someone mentioned a possible Haslem/Arroyo trade idea in one of the other threads...

that was me. it was more of a joke but it would make sense for the spurs.

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Dorrel Wright is a past Spurs draft crush.

That would make sense if it happens.

crc21209
02-16-2010, 02:07 AM
I dont even want to think about Haslim. That trade wouldnt put the Spurs at the top of the West, but he sure would help tremendously.

True. Although Haslem is under-sized, he is one hell of a defender and can hit the mid-range jumper. He is also a guy that would bring a fire and leadership to this team...

bigdog
02-16-2010, 02:08 AM
How would Udonis help? He's an undersized Forward. I'm tired of undersized. He won't help against the Lakers at all if the Spurs are trying at all to compete with the best in the West.

crc21209
How would Udonis help? He's an undersized Forward. I'm tired of undersized. He won't help against the Lakers at all if the Spurs are trying at all to compete with the best in the West.

Read the above post...he would bring toughness and can body/beat up on Pau and Bynum even if he isnt quite as tall as them...

EricB
Haslem really really helps vs the Mavericks...

crc21209
02-16-2010, 02:09 AM
Haslem really really helps vs the Mavericks...

If I remember correctly he did a pretty damn good job on Dirk in the 06' Finals...

honestfool84
02-16-2010, 02:10 AM

completely agree. we need somebody who is at least 6-11.

objective
Reached via text message at the Kansas-Texas A&M game in College Station, Buford declined comment.

Guess Lindsey's handling all the calls, stresses, and Chinese food.

Hope he doesn't bundle Splitter with Mahinmi just to drop $1 million off the luxury tax payments while Buford's out of town.

:lol

EricB
If I remember correctly he did a pretty damn good job on Dirk in the 06' Finals...

Only guy I've seen to neutralize him as close to neutralizing gets.

Of course they had Haslem in their Summer league a couple years before that........

bigdog
02-16-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm just being stubborn. I don't want another guy that's under 6-10.

toki9
Mason, 29, has previously expressed disappointment with his limited playing time this season.

This is probably what put him in Pop's doghouse in the first place...

EricB
Guess Lindsey's handling all the calls, stresses, and Chinese food.

Hope he doesn't bundle Splitter with Mahinmi just to drop $1 million luxury tax payments while Buford's out of town.

Scouting scouting scouting.

Plus RC is good buddies with Self so it makes sense he'd be there.

I'm sure he's already back in SA.

crc21209
02-16-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm just being stubborn. I don't want another guy that's under 6-10.

You know damn well you would take Haslem > Bonner :lol

objective
02-16-2010, 02:13 AM

Scouting scouting scouting.

Plus RC is good buddies with Self so it makes sense he'd be there.

I'm sure he's already back in SA.

does his kid still play there?

bigdog
02-16-2010, 02:13 AM
You know damn well you would take Haslem > Bonner :lol

But, but, but...Bonner is 6-10! :lol

objective
02-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Haslem and Wright are both expiring. The Heat don't want to take on the likes of Jefferson.

What could the Spurs even offer them that would be worth giving up for 1/3rd season rentals?

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:14 AM
does his kid still play there?

In between drinks maybe JK.

I dunno, he might.

I just remember from 08 him being great friends with Self, and that explained alot to me the reluctance in drafting Mario Chalmers.

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:15 AM
Haslem and Wright are both expiring. The Heat don't want to take on the likes of Jefferson.

What could the Spurs even offer them that would be worth giving up for 1/3rd season rentals?

Mason, Bonner, Mahinmi, Finley, Draft picks

crc21209
02-16-2010, 02:15 AM

Maybe the Heat think they have bagged Amare therefore not having the need for Haslem now? And the Heat's outside shooting isnt so great and Bonner/Mason could help in that area for them...

DAF86
02-16-2010, 02:17 AM
I would rather have Magloire just for the extra inches and Joel Anthony is only 6'9'' but he is a good shot blocker.

mardigan
02-16-2010, 02:18 AM
I would rather have Magloire just for the extra inches .

Please tell me you are not serious about this.

crc21209
02-16-2010, 02:19 AM
I would rather have Magloire just for the extra inches and Joel Anthony is only 6'9'' but he is a good shot blocker.

If Pop doesnt play Ratliff there would be no way in hell he plays Magloire. They're both just as old...:lol

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Big Cat can barely move nowadays..

There isn't a big man available that could help us with size(unless we could get somebody like Dalembert, which I don't expect) so the best option is probably to get a mobile big like Tyrus Thomas(preferably) or a guy like Haslem(only if he comes with Wright though)..

This strategy could work, but only if the Spurs change up the personnel a little..if our frontcourt is going to be a little undersized, the PG-SG-SF positions are gonna have to bring some pressure and athleticism against ball-handlers..this simply will not work with guys like Bogans and Finley in the lineup though..

Salmons-Thomas is still our best bet unless some other team is crazy enough to take RJ..

DAF86
02-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Please tell me you are not serious about this.

If Pop doesnt play Ratliff there would be no way in hell he plays Magloire. They're both just as old...:lol

No really, I was just trying to say that I'm not very interested in Haslem.

timvp
02-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Good to see RC hard at work :tu

Seriously though, can't think of a trade that makes sense between the Spurs and the Heat. The Heat aren't tanking so I doubt they'd just give the Spurs Haslem for no real reason. The Spurs could possibly offer to eat Cook's contract ($2.1M next season), but that's a small price to pay for Haslem.

Haslem and Cook for RMJ, Finley and Bonner works ... but why would the Heat do that?

crc21209
02-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Big Cat can barely move nowadays..

There isn't a big man available that could help us with size(unless we could get somebody like Dalembert, which I don't expect) so the best option is probably to get a mobile big like Tyrus Thomas(preferably) or a guy like Haslem(only if he comes with Wright though)..

This strategy could work, but only if the Spurs change up the personnel a little..if our frontcourt is going to be a little undersized, the PG-SG-SF positions are gonna have to bring some pressure and athleticism against ball-handlers..this simply will not work with guys like Bogans and Finley in the lineup though..

Salmons-Thomas is still our best bet unless some other team is crazy enough to take RJ..

Speaking of Thomas:

Bulls Rumors

The Bulls are still on a hunt to move Tyrus Thomas and Kirk Hinrich. Sources are telling me that they are talking with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers to acquire expirings such as Brian Cardinal, Adam Morrison, and Sasha Vujacic.

Chicago would send Tyrus Thomas to Minnesota and Kirk Hinrich to the Lakers and grab Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 2010 and well as the Lakers 2nd round pick in 2010. Kirk Hinrich would be the starting PG on a contending Lakers team and Tyrus would be the 6th man in Minnesota coming off the bench in favor of Kevin Love.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/346422-amare-for-jj-hickson-deal-done

objective
02-16-2010, 02:25 AM

Seriously though, can't think of a trade that makes sense between the Spurs and the Heat. The Heat aren't tanking so I doubt they'd just give the Spurs Haslem for no real reason. The Spurs could possibly offer to eat Cook's contract ($2.1M next season), but that's a small price to pay for Haslem.

Haslem and Cook for RMJ, Finley and Bonner works ... but why would the Heat do that?

the Spurs were alleged to have attempted to trade up in the draft to get Cook . . .

Ugh.

itzsoweezee
02-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Why would Miami trade with San Antonio? The Heat are anxious about getting Wade some help. Spurs don't have anyone that would make Wade feel like Miami's serious about getting to the next level.

timvp
02-16-2010, 02:27 AM
Two players on the Heat who the Spurs really liked in the draft: Dorell Wright and Daequan Cook. In any trade between the two teams, they are likely throw-ins.

DAF86
02-16-2010, 02:27 AM

Why would the Spurs do that?

Boss
02-16-2010, 02:28 AM
RC's son Chase plays for the Kansas Jayhawks so I don't think he was on a scouting trip

ElNono
02-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Haslem would be huge... I didn't know he was on the trading block... What's his contract like?

timvp
02-16-2010, 02:29 AM
If the Heat are desperate to unload Michael Beasley to open up salary cap room this summer, I'd be for it. Expirings and a first rounder for Beasley would obviously be a no-brainer. Beasley's value has been falling ... I wonder how far it has actually fallen.

timvp
02-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Why would the Spurs do that?

Why not? Haslem is better than the rest of the players in the deal combined.

bigdog
02-16-2010, 02:31 AM
If the Heat are desperate to unload Michael Beasley to open up salary cap room this summer, I'd be for it. Expirings and a first rounder for Beasley would obviously be a no-brainer. Beasley's value has been falling ... I wonder how far it has actually fallen.

It would be insane if the Heat would be willing to do that, IMO, but you never know. They do seem like they're desperate to get D-Wade another superstar to stop him from leaving. The extra cap space would definitely help that.

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:34 AM

From your keyboard to god's ears...

objective
02-16-2010, 02:36 AM
Just double checked, and Boss is right :

Jr Buford is still on the Jayhawk squad and must be their Ian Mahinmi, because he didn't play tonight, and has logged about 25 minutes all year.

Nothing like the heat of the moment to leave Lindsey in charge. Ferry's forehead is covered in sweat, Kerr has deep bags under his eyes, Riley's hair is a mess, Paxson is rolling his 20-sided die, Kupcheck is doing his under-the-table wink*wink deals, but meanwhile . . .

I can picture the telephone conversation between Morey and Lindsey happening at this very moment.

DM : "Hey there Dennis, about that Tiago Splitter, how about I . . . "

DL : "Sold! Big Bucks! Big Bucks!"

DM : "Heh heh . . . yeah. So, about what I'm offer-"

DL : "BIG BUCKS BIG BUCKS! NO WHAMMIES NO WHAMMIES NO WHAMMIES!"

DM : "Deal! I'll fax the paperwork right now!"

*cue gameshow music of the loser's theme

DAF86
Why not? Haslem is better than the rest of the players in the deal combined.

Meh, he is but not by much IMO. Besides he doesn't solve any of our problems if he were at least 6'10'' I would be very excited about this, but we already have enough undersized bigs and if we trade Mason, Finley and Bonner we become a little weak on the "shooting" department.

timvp
Beasley, Cook and Wright for RMJ, Finley, Mahinmi, Splitter and a first:bking

objective
02-16-2010, 02:37 AM
I was under the impression that Beasley isn't on the market. The owner has said repeatedly that they're not moving him and Miami-area radio has been all over that Beasley is part of the future.

EricB
02-16-2010, 02:38 AM
Beasley, Cook and Wright for RMJ, Finley, Mahinmi, Splitter and a first:bking

Draw it up....

timvp
02-16-2010, 02:41 AM
I was under the impression that Beasley isn't on the market. The owner has said repeatedly that they're not moving him and Miami-area radio has been all over that Beasley is part of the future.

Here's the latest from ESPN the Magazine's Ric Bucher: "Michael Beasley's collegiate career and NBA stats would suggest an up-and-coming star; combined with his rookie contract in these harsh economic times, all that should make him irresistible to any team looking to move an established, expensive star for a less-expensive future one. But the latest evidence that an overwhelming majority of the league's decision-makers see him as more flash than substance is reflected in a proposed three-way trade whose principle parts were 76ers F Andre Iguodala, Suns F Amare Stoudemire and the Heat's Beasley.

"While other pieces would've had to be included, the trade essentially would've sent Beasley to Philadelphia, Iguodala to Phoenix and Stoudemire to Miami. The deal broke down, sources say, because Philadelphia wasn't overwhelmed by the prospect of rebuilding around Beasley. This isn't an isolated case: the Heat appear to be the team most enamored with Stoudemire, but their trading chips are Beasley and Jermaine O'Neal, aka, a big, fat expiring contract. So far, no one has been willing to bite -- underscoring why the Heat tried so hard on draft night in 2008 to trade down and take the player they really wanted, O.J. Mayo."

Sounds like he's on the market to me.

But really, the only way I imagine him ending up on the Spurs is if a team like the Suns would rather have a combination of Hill/Blair/Splitter than Beasley. At that point, the Spurs would get involved as a third team. But that ain't happening ... if for no reason other than the "baggie" picture.

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 02:43 AM
I know the Heat want to get under the cap, but there's apparently been a deal on the table that would send Wright's contract to Memphis that only needs the OK -- removing Wright's contract gets them under the cap and it was said to most likely happen at the deadline . . .

objective
02-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Sounds like he's on the market to me.

But really, the only way I imagine him ending up on the Spurs is if a team like the Suns would rather have a combination of Hill/Blair/Splitter than Beasley. At that point, the Spurs would get involved as a third team. But that ain't happening ... if for no reason other than the "baggie" picture.

If the Spurs ever did get Beasley he could take twitpics with Hill . . . no one would see the baggie.

jjktkk
02-16-2010, 02:46 AM

Not that far.

objective
02-16-2010, 02:47 AM
I know the Heat want to get under the cap, but there's apparently been a deal on the table that would send Wright's contract to Memphis that only needs the OK -- removing Wright's contract gets them under the cap and it was said to most likely happen at the deadline . . .

as far as next year goes, according to Shamsports they only have $30 million committed to 6 players if all options are exercised. They don't really need to dump Beasley for caproom, only rumors I've seen is if they get Stoudemire back.

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 02:52 AM
I can't remember the exact number, but it was around $2M and Wright's contract would suffice -- Sham actually called the move with the Griz months ago, before someone at ESPN(?) threw it out as a possibility.

objective
02-16-2010, 02:53 AM
I can't remember the exact number, but it was around $2M and Wright's contract would suffice -- Sham actually called the move with the Griz months ago, before someone at ESPN(?) threw it out as a possibility.

that was with this season's luxury tax.

I was referring to the idea that Miami could be looking to dump Beasley for expirings+.

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I was solely talking Wright.

Nonetheless, since I went and dug it up:

Hollinger:

The Heat can offer anyone the $951,066 he'll have left on his contract on trade-deadline day to take Wright off their hands, likely adding a sweetener for the trouble (for instance, either more cash or one of the two second-round picks they got from the Hornets on draft day last year). Any number of teams could pull off such a deal, with the prime suspects being the Clippers (a $3.3 million trade exception from the Zach Randolph deal and an owner who loves to make a buck) and the Grizzlies.

The added benefit of such a deal for Miami is a $2.8 million trade exception that they would carry into next year's trading season, giving the Heat an added means of loading up the roster following their expected free-agent splurge this summer.

Vic Petro
02-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Heat: Amare Stoudemire, Roger Mason Jr

Suns: Michael Beasley, Matt Bonner, Michael Finley, Daequan Cook, Ian Mahinmi, 1st Rd pick

Spurs: Haslem, Wright, Arroyo

:hat

Bruno
02-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Spurs were too deep in the perimeter. Keeping everybody happy wasn't an easy task even if I'm surprised that one player say it publicly.

If Spurs are talking to Heat, The key is to put them below the luxury tax threshold. A trade like that would do it:

Heat:
out: Haslem, Cook, Diawara, Magloire (must agree to the trade)
in: Bonner, Mason, first round pick

Spurs:
out: Bonner, Mason, Mahinmi, first round pick (2010 or 2011), cash (about $500K)
in: Haslem, Cook, Diawara

Nets:
in: Mahinmi
out: nothing

Detroit:
in: Magloire, cash
out: nothing

SCdac
02-16-2010, 03:13 AM
A trade with the Heat involving Roger Mason and Haslem/Wright would make alot of sense, actually one of the many trades I had in mind, mostly because Haslem (humbly) took a bench role this season after starting virtually every game the last 4-5 years, and the Heat are surely looking at Beasley as their future PF for lack of any better options. But much like Buford and Pop, I don't think Riley wants to shake up their team heavily at this late in the season, unless it's an Amare Stoudemire-type trade which could happen for them, so this smaller exchanging of expirers would help both teams in different areas. The heat could take on the perimeter shooting in Mason and one of Bonner (Haslem replacement) or Finley (rumored to sign with Miami back in 05/06). With only Alston, Cook, Arroyo, and Chalmers I'm sure Mason could work his way into that rotation. He's pretty much a Eddie House-JJ Redick type gunner with a solid 09 season still kind of fresh, I don't think making it known that he's "on the move" necessarily hurt his value. As far as Haslem goes, I'd definitely welcome him on the Spurs because he's got that Finals and playoff experience, and isn't as big a gamble or commitment as maybe TT and Salmons (even though I like that trade too).

UnWantedTheory
02-16-2010, 05:29 AM
Who could possibly help us contend for a title through all of this speculation lately? I see upgrade, but not to contender. Ah, well....We have a few days, lets hide and watch. I shall cross my fingers.

mountainballer
02-16-2010, 06:19 AM
I tell you one thing:
if that all finally turns into a trade that brings in Haslem and James Jones, I want you all to call me Mr. Freud of ST. at least once.
because
A: I have been calling this for about 3 decades
B: I'm probably the only one on this board with the ability to write a profile about James Jones that sounds as if he is in fact a good idea for the Spurs and you guys will crave for any psychological backup you can get.
C: I'm passing by his house twice a day, so there is a good chance his ghost has hit me accidently.

8FOR!3
02-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Expect a thread for Haslem and Wright now.

Gah, I really don't want any part of Udonis Haslem or whoever this Wright guy is. A trade wouldn't hurt my feelings, but not for them.

benefactor
02-16-2010, 06:37 AM
I tell you one thing:
if that all finally turns into a trade that brings in Haslem and James Jones, I want you all to call me Mr. Freud of ST. at least once.
because
A: I have been calling this for about 3 decades
B: I'm probably the only one on this board with the ability to write a profile about James Jones that sounds as if he is in fact a good idea for the Spurs and you guys will crave for any psychological backup you can get.
C: I'm passing by his house twice a day, so there is a good chance his ghost has hit me accidently.
:lol You got it, Mr. Freud.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Gah, I really don't want any part of Udonis Haslem or whoever this Wright guy is. A trade wouldn't hurt my feelings, but not for them.

Well this sucks.

Haslem would be an upgrade in the rotation over either Bonner or Blair, but isn't really what the spurs need, and isn't worth losing the spurs best outside shooters for (Mason Jr/Bonner).

What the spurs need is either pure size or an athletic shot-blocker, neither of which Haslem qualifies as.

I was hoping the spurs would be looking at a Thomas/Salmons/Heinrich trade, if for nothing else than to screw the lakers out of getting Heinrich.

Muser
02-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Hinrichs contract is horrible.

urunobili
02-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Haslem would be a dream Mav stopper for sure... :drool:

jermaine
02-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Haslem would be a dream Mav stopper for sure... :drool:

If there is any undersized PF I would love to see play with Timmy its Haslem. He & Manu has more heart than most whole teams togather.

MaNu4Tres
02-16-2010, 07:49 AM
We already have Udonis Haslem.

His name is Antonio McDyess.

jermaine
02-16-2010, 07:56 AM
We already have Udonis Haslem.

His name is Antonio McDyess.

We had dice already. Kurt Thomas. Haslem is qicker & tougher

MaNu4Tres
02-16-2010, 08:07 AM
We had dice already. Kurt Thomas. Haslem is qicker & tougher

Dice has more lateral quickness and foot speed than you give him credit for.

Dice is not Kurt Thomas. Dice is more versatile on both ends of the floor.

The only thing they do similar is hit the mid-range with consistency.

ElNono
02-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Here you go, we get our big man and backup PG, and Mason gets accommodated...

http://i45.tinypic.com/15gxiiw.png

jermaine
02-16-2010, 09:00 AM
I love Dice, I just think if we can't get a big I think Haslam would be a great fit an Dice or Blair back him up. Pop just needs to start playing Rat on a regular off the bench.

mountainballer
02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
What the spurs need is either pure size or an athletic shot-blocker, neither of which Haslem qualifies as.

while I agree in general, if we can't get either, but we can get Haslem for something like Mason/Bonner, it would still be a huge help for this team.
and overall I would think that in the current situation Haslem will help more than TT.
btw. size and shot-blocker. if you add "interior defender" to the wanted qualities, then Haslem qualifies. he may be undersized, but he is tough, strong and mobile and works his ass off. I bet there are some 7 footers out there, who would prefer to play against any 7 footer before they want to face Haslem.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Dice has more lateral quickness and foot speed than you give him credit for.

Dice is not Kurt Thomas. Dice is more versatile on both ends of the floor.

The only thing they do similar is hit the mid-range with consistency.

KT could never hit a mid range J with any consistency in his brief tenure as a spur. I don't know if this was just because he never got a consistent role/minutes w/ Popovich or what, but I like Dice way better.

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Funny how I look at all the advanced stats that Haslem is not that good a player, but he is rebounding at the best his career, his steals percentage and block percentage has dropped though. And his usage rate increased while seeing little production. He also got his minutes cut for obvious reasons. Just throwing something out there.

Bruno
02-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Memphis (who is said to be interested in Mason) is a damn interesting option for Spurs money wise.

Grizzlies are below the cap by $3.3M. Spurs could save a lot of money. A trade like Mason for Lester Hudson, Tinsley or Marcus Williams would save $4M to Spurs.

TimDunkem
02-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Haslem defends Dirk Nowitzki very well. A deal with Mason for Haslem would be a good one IMO, but the Spurs might be able to find a better one.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
while I agree in general, if we can't get either, but we can get Haslem for something like Mason/Bonner, it would still be a huge help for this team.
and overall I would think that in the current situation Haslem will help more than TT.
btw. size and shot-blocker. if you add "interior defender" to the wanted qualities, then Haslem qualifies. he may be undersized, but he is tough, strong and mobile and works his ass off. I bet there are some 7 footers out there, who would prefer to play against any 7 footer before they want to face Haslem.

We'll see. Haslem is a tough guy and the spurs could use another "enforcer" type. Hate the idea of losing Roger though, but the guy just can't catch a break under Poppycock. It's probably time to sever the relationship and move on.

Still would much rather see Thomas/Salmons and especially if Mason is out the door we'd at least be getting another scoring wing like Salmons. Dequan Cook and whateverthefuckingname of the other guy that are supposedly in this Miami deal aren't proven players.

TJastal
02-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Funny how I look at all the advanced stats that Haslem is not that good a player, but he is rebounding at the best his career, his steals percentage and block percentage has dropped though. And his usage rate increased while seeing little production. He also got his minutes cut for obvious reasons. Just throwing something out there.

He's showing the sign that Popovich looks for in a prospective player: Declining athleticism. Guy just turned 30 he's a tad on the young side though. Give him a few more years of seasoning yet and the spurs will be hot on his ass.

TacoCabanaFajitas
02-16-2010, 10:02 AM
If Haslem and Wright are the best options to be had, then I would rather trade everyone but Hill/Parker/Blair and build for the future. Let Tim play for a contender, and lets suck for a couple of years and hopefully sign a superstar and have a few good drafts. Haslem and Wright are great for contending for a division title, not an NBA title

anakha
02-16-2010, 10:02 AM

I was hoping the spurs would be looking at a Thomas/Salmons/Heinrich trade, if for nothing else than to screw the lakers out of getting Heinrich.

:lmao

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
It is funny how you are laughing when Tyrus Thomas is a legit shot blocker.

benefactor
02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Memphis (who is said to be interested in Mason) is a damn interesting option for Spurs money wise.

Grizzlies are below the cap by $3.3M. Spurs could save a lot of money. A trade like Mason for Lester Hudson, Tinsley or Marcus Williams would save $4M to Spurs.
That would suck from a value standpoint...but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.

anakha
02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
It is funny how you are laughing when Tyrus Thomas is a legit shot blocker.

if for nothing else than to screw the lakers out of getting Heinrich.

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 10:06 AM
I believe that Thomas/Salmons are the focal point of the trade, not Hinrich. Hinrich is just the burden that comes with taking those two players. Nothing more than beneftting the Spurs than helping themselves and upping the Lakers want. And Hinrich might as well be the deal breaker because Holt can't pour out any more cash.

SpurCharger
02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
No Thanks, Ill Pass On Haslem.... Im tired Of Undersized Power Forwards..... We Need A 6'11 Or Taller Athletic big.....

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
That would suck from a value standpoint...but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.
Not really. The Spurs, if they wish to, can deal the trade exception and fillers to a team that needs instant savings for another player.

hater
02-16-2010, 10:24 AM

haha that was me. I proposed beasley/haslem/arroy for manu/bonner but now, I can see haslem/arroyo for mason and whatever else it takes

hater
02-16-2010, 10:25 AM

that was ages ago

urunobili
02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
I am about to start a thread like this: Spurs fans, get over it.. Finley's contract won't be used on a trade

anyone down? :stirpot:

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I am about to start a thread like this: Spurs fans, get over it.. Finley's contract won't be used on a trade

anyone down? :stirpot:
Nope. Your jinx/anti-jinx threads rarely turn out good.

lurker23
02-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I'd be up for a Haslem trade, but like others said, I don't really see the Heat's motivation, unless they're itching for outside shooting. One reason Haslem might be a great fit is that he could satisfy Pop's need for small ball while still keeping two bigs on the court. Blair doesn't do that because his defense and mobility isn't good enough.

As much as I'd like this trade, I probably wouldn't give up Splitter unless we somehow get Beasley in the deal.

urunobili
02-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Nope. Your jinx/anti-jinx threads rarely turn out good.

you fail Chief... my thread the Spurs FO won't do jackshit was minutes before the RJ trade got done...

Same before daBeast was chosen too... :wakeup

weird... you sound like a n00b... :wow

dbestpro
02-16-2010, 10:46 AM
vbookie odds on Mason trade?

Memphis for tax relief 1:1
Miami for Wright/Haslem package 5:1
Mason to Chicago for Thomas package 10:1
Elsewhere 10:1

CGD
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Though not a "big" like most of you want, Dorell Wright looks like an interesting player at the 3. His price tag is very reasonable, and at 6'9" would probably be a better fit when Pop goes small. Found this recent write-up:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/346248-where-does-dorell-wright-fit-in

TJastal
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Though not a "big" like most of you want, Dorell Wright looks like an interesting player at the 3. His price tag is very reasonable, and at 6'9" would probably be a better fit when Pop goes small. Found this recent write-up:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/346248-where-does-dorell-wright-fit-in

6'9", 24 years old, and labeled the "most athletic" on the heat roster. That is something the spurs could potentially get some good use out of. Him and Haslem at the 4/5 would probably be better than Jefferson/Blair at the 4/5.

pressurez
02-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Mason for a second round pick to Minny.

Will that really surprise you?

dbestpro
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM

That would surprise me. I expect him to go to Memphis for a trade exception.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Yup, more than RJ for LeBron would.

SenorSpur
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
6'9", 24 years old, and labeled the "most athletic" on the heat roster. That is something the spurs could potentially get some good use out of. Him and Haslem at the 4/5 would probably be better than Jefferson/Blair at the 4/5.

Wright is a good choice as a second option. However make no mistake, Thomas should be the FIRST option.

Bruno
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd be up for a Haslem trade, but like others said, I don't really see the Heat's motivation, unless they're itching for outside shooting.

Heat could be motivate by a lot of aspects:

- The biggest one is the financial side. Heat are $2.8M over the tax threshold. If Spurs can do a trade that push them below it, Heat will save a lot of money. If Memphis is ready to sue its cap space on Mason, doing a trade that will save Miami $2.8M is damn easy.
- Heat likes Mason. He was one of the first target of the 2008 offseason.
- Heat are looking to clear cap space for 2010. Cook will be apid $2.2M in 2010-2011. Heat could look at dumping his contract and it isn't easy (see Clipper with Camby and Telfair).
- Spurs could add some incentive like a first round pick.

IMO, Spurs have quite a lot to offer to get Haslem. When the Stoudamire saga will end, he could be a realistic option.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
That would surprise me. I expect him to go to Memphis for a trade exception.

How quick can you turn around a TE? If they could grab Dorell Wright with it I'd be pretty pleased with that exchange.

ffadicted
02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
If Haslem and Wright are the best options to be had, then I would rather trade everyone but Hill/Parker/Blair and build for the future. Let Tim play for a contender, and lets suck for a couple of years and hopefully sign a superstar and have a few good drafts. Haslem and Wright are great for contending for a division title, not an NBA title

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/Jesus_facepalm.jpg

TJastal
02-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Wright is a good choice as a second option. However make no mistake, Thomas should be the FIRST option.

Oh, I agree. But....

I'm defenitely thinking I could live with the Haslem/Cook/Wright trade. It might be the most realistic option the spurs have right now. I think Haslem can help the frontcourt rotation out somewhat and Wright might even provide that element of missing athleticism. Cook can give you spot minutes handling the ball.

Salmons and Thomas is a higher risk / higher reward type trade that has bigger ramifications financially for the spurs beyond this year. Make no mistake, I'd love to see the spurs pull this trade out of their asses come Thursday but I'd still be happy with the former.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm sure Bruno will correct if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that the Spurs can't send Mason directly to Memphis for their TE.

While their TE is large enough to absorb Mason's contract, accepting Mason will put them over the salary cap. As I understand the rules, that is not allowed by the CBA.

tdunk21
02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Anyp3wm5VJ8r2RJcn_xcw5y8vLYF?slug=ys-masonspurs021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

heat and grizz are interested in mason.....who can the spurs get from either teams that fit the team needs???

DesignatedT
02-16-2010, 01:26 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yjq3m9l

intlspurshk
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
i wish ryan gome

SenorSpur
02-16-2010, 01:30 PM
I hope this is all a big ass smokescreen. Haslem is a pro's pro, but his best days are behind him. The Spurs need younger, quicker legs along the frontline.

lebomb
02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Anyp3wm5VJ8r2RJcn_xcw5y8vLYF?slug=ys-masonspurs021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

heat and grizz are interested in mason.....who can the spurs get from either teams that fit the team needs???

From Memphis we can take Marc Gasol!!!

From the Heat........Beasley!!!

DO IT!

:flag:

hater
02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I'll take Rudy Gay for Mason/Bonner :D

lurker23
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Heat could be motivate by a lot of aspects:

- The biggest one is the financial side. Heat are $2.8M over the tax threshold. If Spurs can do a trade that push them below it, Heat will save a lot of money. If Memphis is ready to sue its cap space on Mason, doing a trade that will save Miami $2.8M is damn easy.
- Heat likes Mason. He was one of the first target of the 2008 offseason.
- Heat are looking to clear cap space for 2010. Cook will be apid $2.2M in 2010-2011. Heat could look at dumping his contract and it isn't easy (see Clipper with Camby and Telfair).
- Spurs could add some incentive like a first round pick.

IMO, Spurs have quite a lot to offer to get Haslem. When the Stoudamire saga will end, he could be a realistic option.

I agree that the Spurs are a good fit for this trade if they can do two of those three main things. (Put Heat under lux tax, take Cook, or give up a first rounder.)

murpjf88
02-16-2010, 01:40 PM
From Memphis we can take Marc Gasol!!!

From the Heat........Beasley!!!

DO IT!

:flag:

You are seriously overestimating the value of Mason.

hater
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
haslem would bring toughness that we are seriously lacking up front

tomtom
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yjq3m9l

That actually makes a lot of sense for all sides. Thats hell of a lot better a deal than Hickson and expirings

tdunk21
would a mason/finley/mahinmi/future pick for marc gasol and rudy gay work???????

hater
02-16-2010, 01:44 PM
would a mason/finley/mahinmi/future pick for marc gasol and rudy gay work???????

SequSpur
02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
mason is underutilized here....he could easily be averaging 18ppg on another team...

yavozerb
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
mason is underutilized here....he could easily be averaging 18ppg on another team...

:lmao..I guess he could maybe playing with the Toros..

Mal
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM

Wooow:wow

CGD
02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
haslem would bring toughness that we are seriously lacking up front

:toast

Toughness inside is what we really need especially after we traded Kurt and Fabs away. I think the athletic issue is somewhat overstated.

CGD
02-16-2010, 01:59 PM

Please tell me you're having fun with us.