PDA

View Full Version : no trade is the better option

nkdlunch
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
All the trade options seem depressing IMO.

am I the only one who would be happy if there was no trade by end of the week? Say NO to trade!

Spurs were looking good going into the allstar break

DesignatedT
02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
More than likely if the spurs do end up making a deal its going to be for someone who hasnt even been discussed about by spurs fans.. just like always.

scottspurs
02-16-2010, 05:28 PM
You have to trade cry baby Mason at this point.

With the breaking McDyess news it sounds like the FO is thinking beyond this season not that Tim Duncan and company would surrender this season if changes are made.

scottspurs
02-16-2010, 05:28 PM
You have to trade cry baby Mason at this point.

With the breaking McDyess news it sounds like the FO is thinking beyond this season not that Tim Duncan and company would surrender this season if changes are made.

mexicanjunior
02-16-2010, 05:30 PM

am I the only one who would be happy if there was no trade by end of the week? Say NO to trade!

1 win against Denver equates to "looking good"? This team has been mediocre at best over the last month...

Obstructed_View
02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Free Mahinmi

JR3
02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
i would be fine with no trade... i liked what i saw in the denver game....

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't mind not trading if it means benching Bogans/Finley and finding minutes for Hairston/Mahinmi..unfortunately, that will never happen, so trade it is..

PDXSpursFan
02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
At this point I'll be happy with almost any trade involving Finley, Bonner and/or Mason

Scola
02-16-2010, 06:05 PM
:downspin:

spurtech09
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
free Ian and give some mins to theo .....spurs don't need to trade

ElNono
02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
You mean Lebron is not coming? :depressed

Siebzehn50
02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Duncan doesn't seem to want a trade. Even though I think it would be a good move I have to trust his judgment, but then again he may just be saying that as he has to share a locker room with these guys.

Mason is a problem now though, probably have to move him even if we don't do anything else. It would be nice to get something back for all of these expirings we have as well.

Siebzehn50
02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
dp

angelbelow
02-16-2010, 06:35 PM
I think some size/athleticism up front wouldnt hurt..

Bukefal
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Yup, me too and I also dont think anyone will get traded right now. It wouldn't change much in the short term I think with these options. Better just wait until summertime and then work some good trades out, without any rushing now to 'save the season'.

They were indeed looking better and I hope they can keep up. Players need to step up their game. They will, im confident. Only RJ worries me, seems a lost cause, but I really hope he will improve after all.

Chomag
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't mind not trading if it means benching Bogans/Finley and finding minutes for Hairston/Mahinmi..unfortunately, that will never happen, so trade it is..

This X1

Cane
02-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Trading Roger Mason Jr. is likely the least the Spurs will do. Since the Mavs made significant trades in order to improve I think the Spurs are almost forced to ante up especially since the team's been mostly disappointing.

The current Spurs also have lost too many games against Western rivals which is pretty troubling and reason enough to shop around.

ohmwrecker
02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
This X1
I'm no math whiz, but I am pretty sure when you multiply a number by 1 it remains unchanged.

ShoogarBear
02-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I would be happy if there was no trade.

Any kind of trade would be a built-in excuse for the FO and coaching staff for continued underperformance rest of the year.

BackHome
02-16-2010, 08:52 PM
The Spurs won't make any trades they are looking at getting in the playoffs and trying to win some games and make some $$$$$. Either way no trade is going to help us beat the top four teams in the NBA.......

tothrowed
02-16-2010, 08:54 PM
pow bye jefferson http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/Spurs_shopping_Jefferson_before_trade_deadline/2098111?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

spursbird
02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Trade McDyess, Finley and Bonner, Free Ian and Malik

rascal
02-16-2010, 09:18 PM

You've got to be kidding. Another content to do nothing fan that is content watching other western teams improve while the spurs do nothing.

8FOR!3
02-16-2010, 09:21 PM
If it's for someone like Haslem, I'd say no to it as well, but it could be for some potential. I still want Anthony Randolph and Corey Maggette.

itzsoweezee
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Free Mahinmi

cosign

this would involve getting rid of popovich though.

pawe
02-16-2010, 09:53 PM
I wont mind if there will be no trade made this season. If that happens, I want Pop to play RJ and Mason as much minutes as possible (38 mins for RJ) to save TP and Manu for a playoff push.

ducks
02-16-2010, 10:08 PM
spurs could cut mason
he would get plenty of time then

SouthTexasRancher
02-17-2010, 12:37 AM
I would be happy if there was no trade.

Any kind of trade would be a built-in excuse for the FO and coaching staff for continued underperformance rest of the year.

Here come da lottery! Here come da lottery!

Sean Cagney
02-17-2010, 12:48 AM
i would be fine with no trade... i liked what i saw in the denver game....

Thats one game, they were hot and maybe Denver was off? Martin was out as well, he gave us hell that last game. One 19 point win does not make me think this team is FINE or needs no tweaks. They got beat down by LA without Kobe or Bynum, that alone is alarming to me.

Sean Cagney
02-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Trade McDyess, Finley and Bonner, Free Ian and Malik

BANG, I agree. NO trade and letting them play would be fine by me! I would accept no trade then! Just to see what they can do.

spursfan4ever
02-17-2010, 01:09 AM
We need a trade to happen. We need players that our unselfish on our team unlike Mason which is asking to be traded to a team for more playing time. I understand that Mason is in a contract year and he needs to bump up his stats for this coming offseason but if we have a player on our team with no passion and desire to give all that he has this season, then it's a no brainer. We need a trade to happen.

manustarting2gd
02-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Losing 8 out of the last 14 is not the better option .... sadly i feel that the Spurs have gone cold on any deals and are going to waste yet another year of Timmy's career... FUCK

hater
02-17-2010, 10:13 AM
there won't be a trade. stop dreaming. even if there is a trade, it's not gonna be for a big star. stop being delusional.

Gasol for Kwame happens once in a generation.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-17-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm firmly in this camp as well. Maybe Mason and a pick to Memphis for Young, but nothing big, I don't want the Spurs to overreact Scola style.

Obstructed_View
02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Losing 8 out of the last 14 is not the better option .... sadly i feel that the Spurs have gone cold on any deals and are going to waste yet another year of Timmy's career... FUCK

Losing 8 of 14 has nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with lineup choices and effort. Many of the guys that fans want to trade are going to be essential to any potential turn-around this team can pull off, and the Spurs have the personnel already on the team to do anything they want. Midseason trades are for teams like Dallas, and frankly, those haven't worked very well for them. The last successful midseason trade the Spurs had was for Nazr Mohammed.

pad300
02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Losing 8 of 14 has nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with lineup choices and effort. Many of the guys that fans want to trade are going to be essential to any potential turn-around this team can pull off, and the Spurs have the personnel already on the team to do anything they want. Midseason trades are for teams like Dallas, and frankly, those haven't worked very well for them. The last successful midseason trade the Spurs had was for Nazr Mohammed.

How many have we made overall?
Nazr = Success
KT = "Fail" (kind of. KT was useful, but the wheels came of the ride through injury to Manu - not his fault)...

So that's what, a 50% success rate in recent times? I wouldn't be that dismissive, given our present odds of success look closer to 0%...

byrontx
02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Trade Pop!

Obstructed_View
02-17-2010, 01:03 PM
How many have we made overall?
Nazr = Success
KT = "Fail" (kind of. KT was useful, but the wheels came of the ride through injury to Manu - not his fault)...

So that's what, a 50% success rate in recent times? I wouldn't be that dismissive, given our present odds of success look closer to 0%...

No, you miss my point. The successful trades that the Spurs make (and I'd include KT, thank you for reminding me) are for one small piece. Suggesting that the Spurs need a trade because they've got an extended sub .500 streak going seems to indicate they require far more than one small adjustment, and those types of trades don't work.

Spursone
02-17-2010, 01:33 PM
How about trading POPOVICH!

Isn't he a free agent ?

Obstructed_View
02-17-2010, 01:36 PM
We really need two "trade Pop" posts? Really? What the hell, guys?

Big Empty
02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Ahh, this thread is just buying a covered call and hedging our feelings incase if we dont get a trade. Deep down, we all know we need a big trade if we can to compete or its gonna be tough.

Obstructed_View
02-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Ahh, this thread is just buying a covered call and hedging our feelings incase if we dont get a trade. Deep down, we all know we need a big trade if we can to compete or its gonna be tough.

Um, again, big trades don't typically help teams because teams that need big trades aren't championship contenders. And winning championships is tough. Always.

When a team isn't playing hard and isn't playing the players they have at their appropriate positions, and is failing to play younger players while sacrificing wins to rest veterans, it's puzzling how a trade is going to fix those things.

Bigzax
02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
if it is what it is regarding the present roster, but the guys take it up a notch with the defensive intensity, i'd be content with that as a fan.

as for freeing ian mahinimi (sp?), man he looked awful at the end of that denver game. like 3 or 4 turnovers in a row including a couple of travels...anyhow, i'd like to see Ratliff more, but watching ian look like a 7ft tall deer in headlights answered some questions for me regarding his lack of pt.

Obstructed_View
02-17-2010, 01:46 PM
if it is what it is regarding the present roster, but the guys take it up a notch with the defensive intensity, i'd be content with that as a fan.

as for freeing ian mahinimi (sp?), man he looked awful at the end of that denver game. like 3 or 4 turnovers in a row including a couple of travels...anyhow, i'd like to see Ratliff more, but watching ian look like a 7ft tall deer in headlights answered some questions for me regarding his lack of pt.

It's odd. I couldn't agree more with the first paragraph, and you couldn't be more wrong about the second.

Bigzax
02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
hey i've been wrong plenty of times...i'd love to see ian breakout.

nkdlunch
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM

maybe but open your eyes. Look at the options on the table, they involve Spurs losing a lot to gain just merely above average players. Do you really think those moves will be the diference maker for a championsihp?

What realistic big trade could Spurs do? stop dreaming, there is none.

Tim Duncan has just said it, now you must face it and get over it. "there will be no trade for Spurs"

nkdlunch
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
I guess Spurs office also realized there really was no good trade option. Sadly I don't think this team can go far in the playoffs. But we'll see....

Spursmania
02-18-2010, 10:34 AM
No trade plus Bonner and Bogans starting now?:pctoss

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
No trade plus Bonner and Bogans starting now?:pctoss

Only one of those two things is why the Spurs are so bad this year.

murpjf88
02-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Only one of those two things is why the Spurs are so bad this year.

The need to play Bonner and Bogans is why the Spurs are so bad this year.

nkdlunch
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM

did you forget about a dick called Jefferson? IMO he's the main reason this season is fail. Note I said main, not only reason.

timvp
02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Previously, I could have lived with no trade. But if no trade means Bonner and Bogans in the starting, I want a trade. Any trade. As many as possible, in fact.

:madrun

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 10:59 AM

The fact that they've been starting in favor of better players is a gigantic reason the Spurs are so bad this year. There are currently 4 bigs that should be starting ahead of him. I'm not even sure how Bogans made the team.

Chomag
02-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Previously, I could have lived with no trade. But if no trade means Bonner and Bogans in the starting, I want a trade. Any trade. As many as possible, in fact.

:madrun

The word Laughable pretty much sums up this season as a whole.

Just when you think it can't get any sillier...

ElNono
02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I was hoping to see Iguodala in a Spurs uniform tomorrow, since I'm going to the game.
Every bucket he scores is going to be a slap in the face.
I intentionally didn't get tickets near the Spurs bench this time, because I knew I would miss the game giving Pop an earful... :lol

ElNono
02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
The word Laughable pretty much sums up this season as a whole.

Just when you think it can't get any sillier...

Exactly. We thought we had it bad last season... I mean.. what is this?

Chomag
02-18-2010, 11:06 AM
The fact that they've been starting in favor of better players is a gigantic reason the Spurs are so bad this year. There are currently 4 bigs that should be starting ahead of him. I'm not even sure how Bogans made the team.

It must have been his staller pre-season play that sold him to the Spurs. Oh wait...

Bogans would have a hard time just making a NBA teams roster yet Spurs have him as a starter. :lol

Laughable is such a right word to use lol

ElNono
02-18-2010, 11:07 AM
At least Bogans is cheap... But if a guy you're paying under $1 million is beating a guy you're paying $15 million for the starting spot, then that says it all right there...

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Exactly. We thought we had it bad last season... I mean.. what is this?

Last year, the team lacked talent on the front line and Mahinmi was injured.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 11:11 AM
At least Bogans is cheap... But if a guy you're paying under $1 million is beating a guy you're paying $15 million for the starting spot, then that says it all right there...

Uh, there's no world in which Bogans is "beating" Jefferson. I'll agree that Jefferson's underperforming, but he's scoring 12 points a game. Bogans is scoring 4 and is even worse on defense than RJ is.

ElNono
02-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Uh, there's no world in which Bogans is "beating" Jefferson. I'll agree that Jefferson's underperforming, but he's scoring 12 points a game. Bogans is scoring 4 and is even worse on defense than RJ is.

The reason Bogans plays is because RJ has been very underwhelming. I agree with you that I would still go with RJ, but we all thought Richard would be at least a bit better defensively at this point in time.

MaNu4Tres
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
No team would win a playoff series with Matt Bonner starting and playing a significant role.

No way in hell that would ever happen.

Pop has had his head so far up his ass since the beginning of the WCF in 2008. His personnel decisions on who he puts on the court have been mind boggling on a consistent basis since.

Baseline
02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
No trade = 1st round exit at best.

And does the FO really think they're going to get a decent free agent signing other than Manu? Please.

Pop has gone senile and now everybody knows it. He has a choice to play way more talented guys, yet he plays guys like Bonner, Bogans, and Finley big minutes.

Who let the dogs out? Definitely not Pop.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
The reason Bogans plays is because RJ has been very underwhelming. I agree with you that I would still go with RJ, but we all thought Richard would be at least a bit better defensively at this point in time.

I agree that RJ's been underwhelming, but the whole team has played without any cohesiveness or urgency. As bad as RJ's been, there's no excuse for Bogans starting.

ElNono
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I agree that RJ's been underwhelming, but the whole team has played without any cohesiveness or urgency. As bad as RJ's been, there's no excuse for Bogans starting.

Given his overall production, there's no reason for Bogans to be playing, period.

dbestpro
02-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Pop is going to cost Holt a bunch more money with a first round exit. No one seems to be able to hold Pop accountable. Maybe when he starts costing Holt mega bucks Holt will finally draw the line to MIA Pop.

MaNu4Tres
02-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Pop is going to cost Holt a bunch more money with a first round exit. No one seems to be able to hold Pop accountable. Maybe when he starts costing Holt mega bucks Holt will finally draw the line to MIA Pop.

Pop is the best X's and O's coach in the game.

But in terms of giving the right players the right minutes and putting the best personnel on the floor to give his team it's best chance to win, he's been one of the worst the past 2 years.

Some of his substitutions and lineups during the course of games the past 2 years have frustrated me to no end.

nkdlunch
02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
:tu

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Pop is the best X's and O's coach in the game.

You must have missed all of the games against Utah this year. Hell, you must have missed the games against Chicago.

ShoogarBear
02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
This is what I want to see:

-No trade
-Pop stopping the cutesy Don Nelson bullshit and giving full coaching effort: stabilizing the lineups, and minimizing smallball to essential situations only
-Jefferson hustling
-Tim continuing to be Tim.
-Manu continuing to play like he has been. He'll never be 2005 Manu, but this is acceptable.
-Blair getting 20-25 MPG
-Ian getting a good 5 game stretch of minutes (this will never happen, but toss it in there for giggles)

All of those things are controllable (as opposed to Tony's health).

Whatever the result--playoffs or not, first round exit or championship, chemistry or flameout, I will be able to live with, because at least I will feel everyone gave it their best shot. Right now, I don't think that it true from either the coaching or players standpoint. (The FO, for once, I give full props to this year.)

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM

-No trade
-Pop stopping the cutesy Don Nelson bullshit and giving full coaching effort: stabilizing the lineups, and minimizing smallball to essential situations only
-Jefferson hustling
-Manu continuing to play like he has been. He'll never be 2005 Manu, but this is acceptable.
-Blair getting 20-25 MPG
-Ian getting a good 5 game stretch of minutes (this will never happen, but toss it in there for giggles)

Whatever the result--playoffs or not, first round exit or championship, chemistry or flameout, I will be able to live with, because at least I will feel everyone gave it their best shot. Right now, I don't think that it true from either the coaching or players standpoint. (The FO, for once, I give full props to this year.)

There's not a whacking off emoticon so I'll just stick with :clap :cheer :tu :toast

nkdlunch
02-18-2010, 04:16 PM

-No trade
-Jefferson hustling
-Blair getting 20-25 MPG

LongtimeSpursFan
02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Why is everyone stuck on Ian? It is pretty evident this guy is not an NBA player. Heck he has been with the Spurs for what...4 years now and he still cannot make the rotation. THERE IS A REASON WHY!!!! HE SUCKS. Kudos for the Spurs organization for giving him a chance.
It took the Spurs one summer league game to sign Blair to a multi year contract and he was a second rounder. Its obvious if Blair can make an impact in one game and Ian hasnt done anything in four year he does not deserve game time.

Spurtacus
02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Pipe dream but maybe we can land Bosh this summer. Ratliff is gone. We've got a few expiring contracts that we didn't trade. Maybe someone will take Jefferson off our hands this summer.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Why is everyone stuck on Ian? It is pretty evident this guy is not an NBA player. Heck he has been with the Spurs for what...4 years now and he still cannot make the rotation. THERE IS A REASON WHY!!!! HE SUCKS. Kudos for the Spurs organization for giving him a chance.
It took the Spurs one summer league game to sign Blair to a multi year contract and he was a second rounder. Its obvious if Blair can make an impact in one game and Ian hasnt done anything in four year he does not deserve game time.

So much fail...

Capt Bringdown
02-18-2010, 08:37 PM
And does the FO really think they're going to get a decent free agent signing other than Manu? Please.

Yep, Manu will be the big free agent signing this summer.
We might as well bring back the pink and blue logo while we're at it.

Johnny RIngo
02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Spurs FO are basically waving the white flag by standing pat. I could live with that if Pop wasn't coaching like a fucking moron but he's making this season much harder than it should be. It's going to be really depressing watching us get killed every time Pop trots out his pathetic smallball lineup.

ElNono
02-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Pipe dream but maybe we can land Bosh this summer. Ratliff is gone. We've got a few expiring contracts that we didn't trade. Maybe someone will take Jefferson off our hands this summer.

How tall is he?

TJastal
02-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Woohoo

So glad the spurs stood pat. We're gonna ride Bogans, Bonner, and Finley to a title baby!

:lol

rascal
02-19-2010, 11:46 PM

No trade. Spurs looking good. Try again.

rascal
02-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Duncan doesn't seem to want a trade. Even though I think it would be a good move I have to trust his judgment, but then again he may just be saying that as he has to share a locker room with these guys.

Mason is a problem now though, probably have to move him even if we don't do anything else. It would be nice to get something back for all of these expirings we have as well.

I don't trust Duncan. Great player but I would not trust Duncan as a gm.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM
We could have picked up Ty Thomas for an expiring contract. No trade can suck my schlong. :lol

Obstructed_View
02-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Woohoo

So glad the spurs stood pat. We're gonna ride Bogans, Bonner, and Finley to a title baby!

:lol

Doesn't matter who they would have traded for, they would have started Bonner and Bogans anyway and lost.