PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Sources: Spurs haven't offered McDyess to anyone

duncan228
02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Sources: Spurs haven't offered McDyess to anyone (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/02/sources-spurs-h.html)
By Mike Monroe

Despite an Internet report indicating the Spurs have been shopping big man Antonio McDyess in order to facilitate a trade for Chicago forward Tyrus Thomas, league sources today told The Express-News the Spurs haven't offered the veteran forward to any team, even as talks heat up in advance of Thursday's NBA trade deadline.

Citing league sources, Yahoo Sports columnist Adrian Wojnarowski wrote that the Spurs "are trying to unload Antonio McDyess and the remaining $7.5 million owed him after this season to possibly clear a way to make a trade for Chicago forward Tyrus Thomas."

Multiple league sources insisted the Spurs haven't shopped McDyess at all but said they are in a listening mode in advance of Thursday's deadline.

The Spurs have made inquiries about select players of interest believed to be available.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, as usual, issued a terse "no comment" to multiple inquiries about Spurs trade rumors.

mexicanjunior
02-16-2010, 05:30 PM
FO is in CYA mode...

dbestpro
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
This front office is hilarious. Trying to act like we are just where we want to be, while behind closed doors its iceberg ahead!

The Truth #6
Let's see, believe Yahoo Sports or the Express...I'll go with Yahoo.

EricB
I don't believe monroe's sources...

DesignatedT
02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
lmao. this is just getting crazy...

crc21209
02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Damn Thursday can't get here soon enough...

Mr. Body
02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Hardly a surprise. It's not clear how trading McDyess helps at all.

Libri
Monroe vs Wojnarowski

Mhak
Monroe is not realiable. He is pretty soft asking question and don't have any balls.

He will not find out anything because he doesn't ask the right questions.

objective
02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Sources: Spurs haven't offered McDyess to anyone (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/02/sources-spurs-h.html)
By Mike Monroe

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, as usual, issued a terse "Leave me alone. I don't care about no trades, I got my kids' benchwarmin' to watch." to multiple inquiries about Spurs trade rumors.

fixed :hat

ffadicted
This is by far the most excited and worried I've been around the trade deadline as a spurs fan lol

lurker23
Normally I'd trust Woj over SA Express News as well, but I don't know what to think any more. This trade deadline is annoying.

Damn Thursday can't get here soon enough...

Agreed. I've been saying for weeks now that I just want this all to be over and focus on basketball.

baseline bum
02-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Monroe vs Wojnarowski

Yeah, that's not a very hard choice. :lol

timvp
02-16-2010, 05:36 PM
:lol Yeah, right. Yahoo has been the main source of real Spurs related news for years. I trust Yahoo to give facts more than I do the Express-News.

Spurs Brazil
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
i don't believe monroe's sources...

+1

Blackjack
Yeah, I'm sure they haven't "offered" 'Dyess to anyone -- you usually gauge interest and broach the topic before putting a deal together or accepting someone else's offer.

I guess the rumor could be a ploy of the Spurs to aid in their Thomas negotiations and it happened to get leaked or caught wind of, but call me skeptical . . .

Mel_13
If Monroe has access to "multiple league sources" why hasn't he provided anything other than a denial of a report from a national writer who has broken many big stories in the past?

It would be nice if he used those sources to provide an original piece of information.

Booharv
02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
If the rumor is true, from Monroe's perspective he has to be pissed that he spends all year covering the Spurs and people like Wojnarowski and Mark Stein break important stories about them while he gets next to nothing.

objective
02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Monroe vs Woj . . .

that be like Mason/Finley/Jefferson vs. Gasol

No chance in hell

only in San Antonio would it make sense :lol

lurker23
02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
If Monroe has access to "multiple league sources" why hasn't he provided anything other than a denial of a report from a national writer who has broken many big stories in the past?

It would be nice if he used those sources to provide an original piece of information.

Agreed. Monroe, if you're reading this, show us the goods and you'll get the props. :smokin:

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they haven't "offered" 'Dyess to anyone -- you usually gauge interest and broach the topic before putting a deal together or accepting someone else's offer.

I guess the rumor could be a ploy of the Spurs to aid in their Thomas negotiations and it happened to get leaked or caught wind of, but call me skeptical . . .

Exactly. Monroe's "multiple league sources" all work at the AT&T center and needed to get a denial into the local press.

BacktoBasics
02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
If the rumor is true, from Monroe's perspective he has to be pissed that he spends all year covering the Spurs and people like Wojnarowski and Mark Stein break important stories about them while he gets next to nothing.That is possibly the greatest sig ever.

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 05:43 PM
I realize how fortunate we are to have the reporting of Monroe and McDonald, but, for some crazy, outlandish reason, I'm going to have to trust my gut:

Woj-Ludden > Monroe-McDonald

crc21209
02-16-2010, 05:44 PM
I realize how fortunate we are to have the reporting of Monroe and McDonald, but, for some crazy, outlandish reason, I'm going to have to trust my gut:

Woj-Ludden > Monroe-McDonald

Woj-Ludden > Monroe-McDonald any day of the week. Ever since Ludden left, the E-N has gone to shit..

I. Hustle
02-16-2010, 05:45 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Luolz.jpg

JR3
02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
i agree that when monroe starts reporting deals in the works, then we will believe him when he wants to squash a rumor. got credibility?

timvp
02-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Whenever too much Spurs info is released elsewhere, the Spurs call on the Express-News to do their job.

http://www.mentalacrobatics.com/think/images/mss.jpg
Everything is alright. Nothing happen here.

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Woj-Ludden > Monroe-McDonald any day of the week. Ever since Ludden left, the E-N has gone to shit..

We've been stuck with a first-time beat writer with no connections and a dude from Denver that's credentials are dubious -- he's not all that tapped in on much of anything on or off the court.

And to top it all off, they followed Ludden -- one of the best in the business.

The E-N gave us steak with Ludden and now offer us Beggin' Strips (dogs don't know it's not bacon).

TimmehC
02-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Let's see... should we believe Monroe or the guy who called the RJ trade before anyone else?

SenorSpur

But that would mean Monroe risking pissing the Spurs off and potentially losing his courtside seats, if he published "inside information" that readers could actually use.

Bruno
IMO, Monroe is right. It's not that he is more relaible, it's that trading McDyess makes quite no sense for Spurs.

For example, OKC is said to be ready to give up a first round pick to dump Collison, a comparable player with a comparable contract. Spurs would have do to the same with McDyess. I don't see the logic at all behind that.

timvp
02-16-2010, 05:55 PM
For example, OKC is said to be ready to give up a first round pick to dump Collison, a comparable player with a comparable contract. Spurs would have do to the same with McDyess. I don't see the logic at all behind that.

McDyess is a plug and play championship level piece, though. That's more than you can say for Collison. I don't think that McDyess can be traded for expiring contracts ... then again, if Camby can be traded for expiring contracts who are actually valuable along with $3 million, there might be hope to trade McDyess just for bad expirings.

dbestpro
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
There really very little difference between the two articles. One guy says Dice is being shopped. The other says he hasn't been offered. Okay so I might want to trade a player (shop). I don't like what is being offered in exchange so the player is not offered up. Semantics.

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 05:59 PM
We've been stuck with a first-time beat writer with no connections and a dude from Denver that's credentials are dubious -- he's not all that tapped in on much of anything on or off the court.

And to top it all off, they followed Ludden -- one of the best in the business.

The E-N gave us steak with Ludden and now offer us Beggin' Strips (dogs don't know it's not bacon).

Back in 2007 I won those seats right next to the Spurs bench where you see Pop set down his drink during the games. I sat next to Ludden and talked about the NBA with him during the timeouts. Nice guy. The only specific thing I can remember talking about is how amazing it was that Kevin McHale has been able to keep his job for so long, and that was before the KG trade. Made his game notes with a pencil in a spiral notebook.

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Back in 2007 I won those seats right next to the Spurs bench where you see Pop set down his drink during the games. I sat next to Ludden and talked about the NBA with him during the timeouts. Nice guy. The only specific thing I can remember talking about is how amazing it was that Kevin McHale has been able to keep his job for so long, and that was before the KG trade. Made his game notes with a pencil in a spiral notebook.

It's really refreshing when you know someone has a passion and willingness to learn and put in the effort to do their job -- Ludden was one of us and it showed in his work.

Somehow, I don't think your experience would have been as enjoyable had you won that contest last year. :lol

Booharv
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
That is possibly the greatest sig ever.

Thanks. I'm making one of the bungee grab from Waterworld if anyone remembers that. Easily one of the stupidest scenes in a mainstream movie. Doesn't have the cheese factor of Knight Rider though.

Booharv
02-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Let's see... should we believe Monroe or the guy who called the RJ trade before anyone else?

Fpoonsie
02-16-2010, 06:21 PM
That is possibly the greatest sig ever.

:lol

I was thinkin the same thing.

ElNono
02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
LOL Monroe

DPG21920
02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Timvp, it seems like you think the Spurs should try and dump Dice. I think if the Spurs can bring in TT and start him (or someone similar) and move Dice to the bench, the Spurs can still improve this year and for the future.

timvp
02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Timvp, it seems like you think the Spurs should try and dump Dice. I think if the Spurs can bring in TT and start him (or someone similar) and move Dice to the bench, the Spurs can still improve this year and for the future.

I like Dice but if you are going to trade for Thomas, it'd be a waste not to keep him. Without trading away Dice, it'd be close to impossible to re-sign Thomas, bring over Splitter and re-sign Manu.

Muser
02-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Why would the Spurs trade a player who is starting to play well and could well be a 10/10 guy?

alchemist
02-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Yahoo sources = NSA
SA Express sources = guy who knows the janitor

:p:

DPG21920
02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
I like Dice but if you are going to trade for Thomas, it'd be a waste not to keep him. Without trading away Dice, it'd be close to impossible to re-sign Thomas, bring over Splitter and re-sign Manu.

Maybe I am missing something, but even without Dice, won't the Spurs be at ~51M in payroll next year? How does that change what they have to spend? Are you implying that for luxury tax purposes, they are probably not willing to spend that kind of money by having Dice+Tiago+TT?

Not to mention the Spurs don't really know if Tiago is coming over...

Spurs are going to be in a tough spot next year anyways with the window closed and the salaries they have on the books. Do they re-sign Ginobili seeing how things are going? Why would they? If not, do you think Manu is being shopped?

angelbelow
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Yahoo sources = NSA
SA Express sources = guy who knows the janitor

:p:

Hah, well i wouldnt be surprised if the Spurs havent offered Dice. Most likely is that Nuggets tried to ask for Dice but was turned down.

urunobili
02-16-2010, 06:45 PM

:wakeup

Russ
02-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Have the Spurs (through the EN) ever said a player was not being "offered" and then ended up trading him?

I tend to believe the EN here. (Of course, I am usually wrong.)

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Okay long story short: Monroe is mostly correct but, McDyess has been in trade conversations. In late January the Nuggets were looking to grab Antonio, that might be where the "shopping of McDyess" is coming from. At least that is what I understood when I spoke with someone close to the nuggets when Denver came to town.

The "spurs are in listening mode" part is also mostly true also. Pretty much anyone could be traded except Duncan, but the Spurs are trying not to make latteral moves. Also, mason is likely to be moved but the Spurs are looking to package him instead of just trading him for a similar expiring contract. Too much conversation is going on right now and the spurs are as tight lipped as ever.

In honesty, with economic woes, 2010 FA market and a possible lockout teams are either trying to win now or save money or build for the future.

It's going to be a crazy next couple days.

thanks

duncan228
02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks Phila_Chamberlain.

ducks
02-16-2010, 11:25 PM
spurs expiring contracts could make a move even more possible now

ducks
02-16-2010, 11:26 PM
pack your bags manu,mason

EricB
02-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm annoyed thats all I know. Like I said, I was told by a Nugget's source that Denver wanted McDyess. It is just my guess that he was in semi-serious trade conversations if this person knew about it. An owner I know said that it is a crazy time among other owners between recent deaths of big percentage owners on several teams, the economy, etc will lead into several trades with larger contracts.

On top of everything I am busy with non NBA stuff that is keeping me from keeping up with trade talks. All 30 teams are looking to make moves right now.

Why are you annoyed? If I misread previous posts I apologize.

DPG21920
02-16-2010, 11:40 PM
I just don't see a reason to not trade Manu at this point, unless you think you can not only extend him, but make this team a contender for the remaining Duncan years.

EricB
02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
I doubt Manu gets traded. But like I said anything is possible.

I doubt it as well.

ducks
02-16-2010, 11:45 PM
if spurs want to rebuild moving manu would be a great start
getting something then letting his ass walk this summer would make since

only way you resign manu is for the mle and NOT ONE PENNY MORE

lefty
02-16-2010, 11:46 PM

Or we could move TP

Mel_13
02-16-2010, 11:50 PM

If you want to rebuild, probably could get much more for Tony.

Blackjack
02-16-2010, 11:53 PM

In all honesty, moving Tony might be the only way to pry open the window again -- even if it's unlikely you could make or find the right deal . . .

ElNono
02-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Or we could move TP

:lol

SpurNation
02-17-2010, 12:07 AM
In honesty, with economic woes, 2010 FA market and a possible lockout teams are either trying to win now or save money or build for the future.

Bolded is what I think the Spurs are looking to do out of those three options.

Win now? Not with the team they have now.

Save Money? Not without moving RJ's contract.

Build for Future? Look competitive but don't win in order to garnish draft pick(s). And definately don't trade your existing picks this year.

Kinda sucks for Duncan if that be the case.

ohmwrecker
02-17-2010, 12:49 AM
There is one factor that kills the credibility of the rebuild mode theory. Tim Duncan. It has been made clear since the Jefferson trade that the Spurs are trying to "win now". Now, as the trade deadline approaches and it is obvious that the moves that the Spurs FO made have failed, we are expected to believe that the philosophy has switched to rebuild mode? Does anyone really believe that Duncan is going to spend the end of his career on a rebuilding team? It's bullshit and if it is true, there is no way Duncan is on board. And if Duncan is not on board you can say goodbye to your NBA franchise San Antonio. Do you expect me to believe that Richard Jefferson is going to be the demise of professional basketball in SA? Really? I am not buying it. I knew the end of the Spurs' run would eventually come, but I never would have thought it would be this disastrous.

objective
02-17-2010, 05:41 PM
interesting that Woj has stuck to his story about McDyess.

This makes me respect Monroe even less. :lol

Budkin
02-17-2010, 09:53 PM
:lmao @ Monroe

bresilhac
02-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Who would want Dice. Like all undersized bigs we sign, they burn us so we sign them then they forget how to shoot! He has been awful all year and is 35!

McDyess at worst has been average and certainly has had some good games for the Spurs. He's certainly not been awful though. The rebounding has been lacking a little but his patented jump shots have been timely to say the least.

If you want to unload some dead weight dump Bonner and Mason/Finley and see what you can get for them.