PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of close encounters...

AlamoSpursFan
04-30-2005, 02:20 PM
...of the wildlife kind...

The other night I was awakened by what sounded like every freaking dog in Wilson County barking off of my back porch. I stormed out on the deck to toss whatever I could get my hands on at the nearest dog and found myself in a staredown with one of these about 5 feet from me:

http://www.exzooberance.com/virtual%20zoo/they%20walk/bobcat/Bobcat%2042017.jpg

It was up on the railing surrounding the deck and was making a noise like a cross between a growl and a purr. I just stood there frozen for a couple of seconds and just as the "I wonder how much it costs to get a bobcat stuffed" thought went through my mind, he decided to take his chances with the dogs and jumped off the railing and disappeared into the woods.

Needless to say, next time the dogs pitch a bitch in my backyard, I'm coming out armed and ready!

IX_Equilibrium
04-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Bobcats are freaking cool

Don't kill'em

Gatita
04-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Our family had a bobcat as a pet. We found him on the side of the road, thinking it was an abandoned kitten. We took it home and started to notice weird behaviors when it get older. :)

He was really cute though. :cat

Clandestino
04-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Our family had a bobcat as a pet. We found him on the side of the road, thinking it was an abandoned kitten. We took it home and started to notice weird behaviors when it get older. :)

you're a little bobcat!

Gatita
04-30-2005, 06:29 PM
you're a little bobcat!

I've been known to be fiesty and catty. Meow!! :cat

Cant_Be_Faded
04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Was it big? Maybe it was an Ocelot(sp)
Those are a small cat species that is rare in texas but used to be very common like a century ago. They weigh 25-30 lbs at maturity. Slightly bigger than Bobcats but without the reddish hue.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-30-2005, 09:02 PM
mine was "group"

CosmicCowboy
04-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Those are a small cat species that is rare in texas but used to be very common like a century ago. They weigh 25-30 lbs at maturity. Slightly bigger than Bobcats but without the reddish hue.

Ocelots are VERY different...black coat, white spots and don't have the pronounced larger back legs...

bobcats are really cool though..I have been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to watch them in the wild a lot of times...

if you want to tag that one to mount it however I strongly suggest you check prices...cats are expensive...my mountain lion was like $600 a bunch of years ago...I personally like the wild cats and wouldn't have shot that one if he hadn't made the mistake of trying to hunt me...

CosmicCowboy
05-01-2005, 12:34 AM
http://img132.echo.cx/img132/8500/gotuckyourself7wj.png

lucky you, elpimpo...you don't even have to buy a vowel...

AlamoSpursFan
05-01-2005, 12:54 AM

It was a hell of a lot bigger than our housecats. My first thought was DAMN, that is one fat kitty! :lol

I mentioned the encounter to our game warden and he said it is HIGHLY unusual for a bobcat to venture that close to the house. His next question was are any of our cats in heat. My answer was yes and he said that the scent sometimes will lure a big cat if there aren't any female big cats around.

CrazyOne
05-01-2005, 09:55 PM

I hope those weird behaviors didn't include eating any small children or using your leg for a sharpening post... :lol

Gatita
05-01-2005, 10:22 PM
I hope those weird behaviors didn't include eating any small children or using your leg for a sharpening post... :lol

Some children did go missing...not like anyone noticed. :lol