PDA

View Full Version : SI.com "Spurs shopping Richard Jefferson"

smahmood26
02-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Just got a text from ESPN about this and didn't see it anywhere. Sorry if it is

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/02/16/jefferson.rumors/index.html

Displeased with the way he has fit into their system, the San Antonio Spurs are attempting to trade forward Richard Jefferson just days before the trade deadline, multiple league sources have confirmed.

However, because of Jefferson's lack of production this season, as well as his $14.2 million salary, it does not seem likely the Spurs are going to find any takers.

"They're trying, but there may not be a market for his contract," one Eastern Conference executive told SI.com.

Jefferson has one year and $15.2 million remaining after this season.

The calls being placed by Spurs general manager R.C. Buford are a stark admittance that he made a mistake when trading Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto to the Milwaukee Bucks for Jefferson, envisioning him as yet another talented scoring option to complement Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Instead, the 29-year-old Jefferson is having the worst season since his rookie year, averaging 12.2 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists as he has struggled to fit in with the Spurs' primary trio.

Perhaps even more intriguing is whether Buford's intentions with Jefferson is a sign that he thinks the Spurs in their current form cannot win a title. The Spurs are essentially tied with the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Phoenix Suns for the fifth seed in the Western Conference but have lost eight of their past 14 games.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/02/16/jefferson.rumors/index.html#ixzz0fkxxYIZZ
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

itzsoweezee
02-16-2010, 09:33 PM
and water is wet

if the spurs trade jefferson, they're not going to get anything good in return. this season will be a complete waste because popovich did a horrible coaching job, again.

dbestpro
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Not your fault but this is old news posted new by SI.

ffadicted
02-16-2010, 09:36 PM
I hate when people say trading for jefferson was a mistake. As shitty as he has been, what we got him for would've been much shittier right now

dbestpro
02-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Displeased with the way he has fit into their system, the San Antonio Spurs are attempting to trade forward Richard Jefferson ..........

Chaos is not a system............

Vic Petro
02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
I hate when people say trading for jefferson was a mistake. As shitty as he has been, what we got him for would've been much shittier right now

Extra cap room this summer would not have been that shitty.

Ditty
02-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Extra cap room this summer would not have been that shitty.

well jefferson is expiring contract next year and could be tradeable but like pop said we would of probably got the same kind of impact player in 2010 if we signed someone next year

spurs1990
02-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Praise God.

I would trade him for an open rotation spot that can be filled by Finley/Mason/Mahinmi or whoever the hell you want to choose.

May the Spurs find a sucker...er buyer before Thursday.

ezau
02-16-2010, 10:05 PM
lol nobody's going to take that shitty player. We're stuck with that POS until next year

02-16-2010, 10:07 PM
someone created a thread about this a while ago but it was merged with the official trade thread.

JustinJDW
02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Displeased with the way he has fit into their system, the San Antonio Spurs are attempting to trade forward Richard Jefferson ..........

Chaos is not a system............This.

I hope people realize that this wasn't RJ's fault. He is a great player. It's Pop's job to fit players into the system, and he didn't do a good job doing that at all with RJ.

DynastySpurs210
02-16-2010, 10:34 PM
hmm.. well lets see if the Spurs can trade him back to the Bucks for at least Kurt Thomas :P

eLOvHrGi5vQ

murpjf88
02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
This.

I hope people realize that this wasn't RJ's fault. He is a great player. It's Pop's job to fit players into the system, and he didn't do a good job doing that at all with RJ.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

gospursgojas
02-16-2010, 11:16 PM

Last year's record at this time of the season begs to differ.

gospursgojas
02-16-2010, 11:20 PM
This.

Oh gawd...poor rj.

Pop has tried everything with him. He's just another great player when on a bad team. He sucks.

BanditHiro
02-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Oh gawd...poor rj.

Pop has tried everything with him. He's just another great player when on a bad team. He sucks.

failed logic because this team is currently bad so he should be great, but he is not obviously.

PublicOption
02-16-2010, 11:26 PM
AI2, and tyrus thomas. that is who we should try and get.

phyzik
02-16-2010, 11:33 PM
To all the people bitching now about R.J.

Hindsight is 20/20

It was an awesome trade to begin with but didnt pan out like we had all hoped. Cant fault the Spurs front office for taking a gamble that looked like a blockbuster trade when it was made. Who knows, if they cant trade him, maybe we will see a miracle and it all pans out in the end and R.J. starts to "Get it".

8FOR!3
02-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Roger Mason and George Hill can play side by side as guards, trade TP, Ginobili, and Jefferson for a real small forward.

murpjf88
02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Roger Mason and George Hill can play side by side as guards, trade TP, Ginobili, and Jefferson for a real small forward.

Well Forrest, I can't say I agree with you their.

koriwhat
02-16-2010, 11:38 PM
im gonna go out on a limb and say RJ will become atleast a 15/5 guy within a week.

doubtful but hey so was ms cleo!

tothrowed
02-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I already posted this ......

EricB
02-16-2010, 11:40 PM

how bout no.....

tp2021
02-16-2010, 11:45 PM

:lmao

BlackSwordsMan
02-16-2010, 11:51 PM
nobody wants a gay washed up player

SenorSpur
02-17-2010, 12:58 AM
To all the people bitching now about R.J.

Hindsight is 20/20

It was an awesome trade to begin with but didnt pan out like we had all hoped. Cant fault the Spurs front office for taking a gamble that looked like a blockbuster trade when it was made. Who knows, if they cant trade him, maybe we will see a miracle and it all pans out in the end and R.J. starts to "Get it".

This is true. It's certainly not fair to blame the FO entirely for this failed marriage. In fact, the FO should be roundly applauded for being bold enough to make the moves in the first place.

The Spurs certainly weren't the only FO that made moves that didn't work. There is a long list. Consider some of the others:

Turkologu in Toronto
Carter in Orlando
Wallace in Boston
Brand in Philly
Ariza in Houston
Gordon & Villanueva in Detroit

The Spurs took a shot and it didn't pan out. Now the time has come to "cut bait" and try something else. As quickly as the Spurs made moves over this past summer, they should be just as quick to realize tihs isn't working and rectify it.

SnakeBoy
02-17-2010, 01:28 AM
The Spurs took a shot and it didn't pan out. Now the time has come to "cut bait" and try something else. As quickly as the Spurs made moves over this past summer, they should be just as quick to realize tihs isn't working and rectify it.

What is the "something else" out there that would make us contenders? Jefferson pulling his head out of his ass is the best hope for this season.

BanditHiro
02-17-2010, 01:31 AM
What is the "something else" out there that would make us contenders? Jefferson pulling his head out of his ass is the best hope for this season.

or Pop or rather the whole team

Avitus1
02-17-2010, 01:33 AM
lol nobody's going to take that shitty player. We're stuck with that POS until next year

So sad, so true... God Dammit!

JamStone
02-17-2010, 01:46 AM

He might not be washed up. He might just not fit with the Spurs.

Spurs could probably trade him for Peja. Virtually the same contract.

hsxvvd
02-17-2010, 01:51 AM

http://z.about.com/d/gaylife/1/G/0/L/johnamaechi2

He's a true C.

Fabbs
02-17-2010, 01:52 AM
"They're trying, but there may not be a market for his contract," one Eastern Conference executive told SI.com.
In other news the sky is blue. :rolleyes

BanditHiro
02-17-2010, 02:40 AM
http://z.about.com/d/gaylife/1/G/0/L/johnamaechi2

He's a true C.

but he is going to be to busy looking at other peoples asses and forget to rebound.

8FOR!3
02-17-2010, 07:07 AM
You guys didn't detect my internet sarcasm. Seriously though, the bitching about Jefferson and trading half the team gets a little bit old. They would have to trade everybody but Duncan and maybe Blair to make some of these people happy. The way I look at it, it is what it is. If we make a trade, then I'll support these new players even if they suck (*cough*Haslem*cough*,) but if we don't I'll support the current squad. I'd like to have Maggette and Randolph from GS, but I realize that probably won't happen. We all know what RJ is capable of, he's only 29 years old, there's still a chance he'll show us what that is.

Doctor J
02-17-2010, 07:44 AM
He might not be washed up. He might just not fit with the Spurs.

Spurs could probably trade him for Peja. Virtually the same contract.

Peja can't and doesn't want to play D.

Muser
02-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Peja can't and doesn't want to play D.

And Jefferson does? At least Peja could be a spot up shooter.

lebomb
02-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Peja? No thanks. He was awesome 5yrs ago.

Agloco
02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
failed logic because this team is currently bad so he should be great, but he is not obviously.

:lol

Perspective is a wonderful thing, should one trouble themselves with getting some. This team is bad by "fairweather fans" metrics. Try looking at the standings again.

hater
02-17-2010, 10:15 AM
what a stupid article.

Of course the Spurs are shopping RJ. Are they gonna be able to get any takers???

fuck no. he blows

DBMethos
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Considering that RJ will likely not be traded, is there any way that all of this talk of wanting to get rid of him will motivate him to play better? Or is he going to remain the same lackadaisical, sulking disappointment of a player that he's been up to this point?

SpurCharger
02-17-2010, 11:03 AM
This.

I Totally Disagree.... Pop Has Tried Almost Everything WIth RJ..... Rj Has Terrible body Language, Play No Defense, and At Times Looks Like He Isnt Trying Or Putting Any Effort at all. Its One thing To Not fit in a System, But its Another To not Even Try or put the effort in.

hater
02-17-2010, 11:07 AM
This.

what the fuck???

So Pop was out there bothering RJ's NUMEROUS WIDE OPEN shots that he missed all season???

POP was out there to make RJ miss his defensive assignments TIME AND TIME AGAIN?????

It's Pop's fault that RJ MISSES FREE THROWS ON A CONSISTENT BASIS????

It's Pop's fault RJ looks like a shell of himself???

tp2021
02-17-2010, 11:18 AM
but he is going to be to busy looking at other peoples asses and forget to rebound.

At least that excuse for not rebounding would make sense, unlike the other players on the team who aren't rebounding like they should.

NFGIII
02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
We're stuck with him until next year. By then with his expiring contract maybe we can get a good deal done. If his performamce doesn't improve then the Spurs might have to just let him walk unless some owner thinks that his expiring contract is so valuable that he would give the Spurs good/some value in return.

Next year that expiring - IIRC $15M give or take - is osmething many teams might wnat to have.

Failed experiment but at the time I was excited by the trade. I, as many, thought this was going to be a very good trade for the Spurs. He just hasn't worked out. And as Senorspur pointed out the Spurs weren't the only ones that made trades and failed to get the goods they thought they were trading for.

LOL@MavsFan
02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Trade that soft fuck...no one wants him, though...just bench him if they can't trade for him

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Just read this from ESPN blog...

If the Cavs decide to pull the trigger on the Amare Stoudemire deal instead, look for the Wizards to explore ways of trading Jamison during the summer.

I know Jefferson isn't likely to be moved now, but flipping him as future cap space for a "stretch 4" like Jamison sounds like one of the more plausible and helpful moves the Spurs could make.

Obviously I'm at step 4 and the Spurs are at step 1...still, it's just a thought.

nkdlunch
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
what could we get from Wizards for Jefferson/Mason? Jamison? anything else?

mando6599
02-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Considering that RJ will likely not be traded, is there any way that all of this talk of wanting to get rid of him will motivate him to play better? Or is he going to remain the same lackadaisical, sulking disappointment of a player that he's been up to this point?

Good question. All Spurs fans can hope for is that it motivates him.

IMO, if Jeff defends way better, then his O will come. He just needs that defense first mindset, not the other way around.

StoneBuddha
02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
He already has shown he is super clutch when the game is on the line (OKC game) just have to get his defense and rebounding going. Not worried about his offense.

Superclutch? Really?

Slinkyman
02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
hitting one lucky shot doesn't make you clutch