PDA

View Full Version : Knicks to get T-Mac (2 First Round picks included)

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM
ChrisMannixSI The New York Knicks are finalizing a deal that would send Jordan Hill, Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries to Houston for Tracy McGrady (cont)

ChrisMannixSI The deal includes swapping the Knicks-Rockets first round picks and New York sending their 2012 first rounder to Houston.

ChrisMannixSI The only remaining issue is the protection on the draft picks. More on SI.com soon.

DPG21920
02-16-2010, 10:38 PM
So Houston takes back 9M in salary for next year.

Chieflion
What a stupid trade. They really think they are getting LeBron?

Thompson
Dang that sounds like a good deal for the Rockets (depending on how protected the picks are).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Not sure what year they're swapping picks since Utah owns NY's pick this year.

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
not sure what year they're swapping picks since utah owns ny's pick this year.

Rogue
02-16-2010, 10:40 PM
no protection for the pick is needed, since the knickers are expected on flourishing watch through this decade, or at least through the first half of this decade with the Lebron in prime version.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-16-2010, 10:42 PM

Ah. Got it. NY is in REALLY deep shit if they don't strike gold in free agency this summer.

djohn2oo8
Worst case scenario for Knicks: Amare gets traded to Cleveland, both LeBron and Amare resign

Wade stays in Miami, Bosh goes to Miami

Joe Johnson stays in Atlanta

Udokafan05
Hope it goes through. McGrady deal had possibility of screwing up trade for spurs to get Thomas

Lars
02-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Hope it goes through. McGrady deal had possibility of screwing up trade for spurs to get Thomas

Knicks likely land Thomas for Harrington.

Kai
02-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Nothing final yet.

Johnny RIngo
02-16-2010, 10:44 PM

There's a lot of FAs next year. If Lebron doesn't work they could try JJ + Bosh/Amare.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Worst case scenario for Knicks: Amare gets traded to Cleveland, both LeBron and Amare resign

Wade stays in Miami, Bosh goes to Miami

Joe Johnson stays in Atlanta

I hope that happens. It would be epic if NY puts all their eggs in one basket and that basket breaks :lol

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Nothing final yet.

It'll get done either tonight or tomorrow, they are working to get that 2012 pick unprotected, but this deal will go down regardless, protected or not

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 10:47 PM
There's a lot of FAs next year. If Lebron doesn't work they could try JJ + Bosh/Amare.
You know as well as I do that only LeBron is worth putting all the eggs in one basket and trading future pick after future pick.

ffadicted
02-16-2010, 10:47 PM
:lol Knicks with no picks until 2013

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-16-2010, 10:49 PM
:lmao Props to H-town if the 2012 pick is unprotected. This is a potential monumental disaster for NY. Houston would be in pretty darn good shape if NY's plan doesn't work. Hopefully Adelman knows how to use Jordan Hill.

DJ Mbenga
02-16-2010, 10:50 PM

maybe not but bosh and joe johnson doesnt sound so bad?

Kai
02-16-2010, 10:50 PM
It'll get done either tonight or tomorrow, they are working to get that 2012 pick unprotected, but this deal will go down regardless, protected or not

So says some guy from SI. You have no basis for saying that, whether it be true or not. Crazier things have happened around the trade deadline and there's a reason this thread was locked at Clutchfans.

DPG21920
02-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Knicks likely land Thomas for Harrington.

That does not match up at all.

JMarkJohns
02-16-2010, 10:51 PM
:lol Knicks with no picks until 2013

They'll have their own or Houston's in 2011. The option is to switch (determined by Houston). Knicks will get the worst of the two team's picks.

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 10:52 PM
So says some guy from SI. You have no basis for saying that, whether it be true or not. Crazier things have happened around the trade deadline and there's a reason this thread was locked at Clutchfans.

He wasn't the first to report that this deal was being discussed, Adrian wor whatever his last name is first broke the story of the specifics of a deal. Marc Stein said it was narrowed down to the Bulls and the Knicks. Those picks are what the Rockets want

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 10:54 PM
They'll have their own or Houston's in 2011. The option is to switch (determined by Houston). Knicks will get the worst of the two team's picks.

And, Houston might have their own lottery pick this year.

And a second deal is possible

Lars
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Likely one, if not both picks will be protected. Hopefully the swap pic next year will be unprotected. Sad to see Dorsey go, but I will laugh my ass if Morey uses all these new assets in a sign and trade for a big name player, leaving NY wondering wtf just happened.

Kai
02-16-2010, 10:56 PM
He wasn't the first to report that this deal was being discussed, Adrian wor whatever his last name is first broke the story of the specifics of a deal. Marc Stein said it was narrowed down to the Bulls and the Knicks. Those picks are what the Rockets want
I completely agree that this deal will most likely go down. I'm not saying nobody reported the deal. I'm saying that it isn't a done deal like your thread title says it is.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Likely one, if not both picks will be protected. Hopefully the swap pic next year will be unprotected. Sad to see Dorsey go, but I will laugh my ass if Morey uses all these new assets in a sign and trade for a big name player, leaving NY wondering wtf just happened.

Could be wrong but I've never heard of a situation where there's protection with a pick swap. Most likely the question is the 2012 pick.

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I completely agree that this deal will most likely go down. I'm not saying nobody reported the deal. I'm saying that it isn't a done deal like your thread title says it is.

In an earlier post, I said if it doesn't go down tonight, then it will tomorrow.....The thread title says that the Knicks will get McGrady, it doesn't say when

Scola
02-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Video of the negotiations
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Knicks-Rockets-backroom-trade-negotiat?urn=nba,219962

Kai
02-16-2010, 11:00 PM
In an earlier post, I said if it doesn't go down tonight, then it will tomorrow.....The thread title says that the Knicks will get McGrady, it doesn't say when

What I'm saying is there's still the outside chance Chicago or someone finds a 3rd team to do some crazy deal or something, and the Rockets go a different way. This deal isn't done, but oh well, cuz it probably will be soon.

Pistons < Spurs
02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Knicks, Rockets close to McGrady deal (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20097253)

The Knicks and Rockets are in the final stages of negotiating a blockbuster trade that would send Tracy McGrady to New York, with the Bulls still in the game based on the final issue of draft-pick compensation, CBSSports.com has learned.

The Knicks would get McGrady in exchange for Jared Jeffries, Larry Hughes, Jordan Hill and draft pick considerations. The deal hinges on the level of protection the Knicks are willing to put on a 2012 first-round pick that would go to the Rockets in the trade. The deal also would give Houston the right to swap first-round picks with the Knicks in 2011.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh is discussing the draft-pick proteciton issue with Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan, and once the Rockets receive word on the protection issue, they will choose between offers from the Knicks and Bulls, a person with knowledge of the negotiations said.

Indazone
02-16-2010, 11:07 PM
If Morey pulls this off this is another classic moment where the other team should just hang up and run the other direction. Damn he'll have completely screwed the Knicks with that trade.

Lars
02-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Still not sure why the Knicks deal is so transparent, but the Bulls deal is not.

noob cake
02-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Not Morey's greatest deal but it has to be up there. Time to root for the Knicks and Cavs.

Lets just hope that Jordan Hill can turn into a franchise player and that the Knick are simply too dumb to play him his rookie year.

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I would be surprised if the Knicks don't get a key Free Agent..Bosh is the only one I would count out right away..

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Not Morey's greatest deal but it has to be up there. Time to root for the Knicks and Cavs.

Lets just hope that Jordan Hill can turn into a franchise player and that the Knick are simply too dumb to play him his rookie year.

They will possibly have 3 lottery picks. This years', 2011 and 2012 if the knicks strike out in free agency

Lars
02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I would be surprised if the Knicks don't get a key Free Agent..Bosh is the only one I would count out right away..

Ideal situation (for us) now is for Amare to Cleveland, convincing Lebron to stay.

Wade to Chicago w/ Rose.

Bosh to the Rockets in SNT or stays put.

Gay/Boozer stay with current team or goes to NJ.

After that, who are they gonna spend the money on?

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Well, you'll have to hope that all those things happen, so we'll see..

I would have to assume that Walsh is pretty confident that they will land somebody, most Knicks fans are confident as well..it's obviously a risk either way though, especially if they don't have protection on the picks..

If they do have protection on the picks, it's a good trade for the Knicks..even getting T-Mac for this season will create some buzz here, McGrady's name still has some flash..

If they don't have any protection, then it's a huge all-in move that can't be judged until free agency is over..

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 11:28 PM
So apparently it's not done yet..

The Rockets are waiting to hear about the protection on the draft picks, and then they'll decide between New York and Chicago tomorrow..

TIMMYD!
02-16-2010, 11:30 PM
After reading this, I realized: "what the fuck happened to Jordan Hill?"

8FOR!3
02-16-2010, 11:31 PM
This trade is great for Houston. They get Larry Hughes who can fill T-Mac's position almost as well at this point in his career and Jeffries who isn't much worse. Neither of them are anything better than mediocre though. But Jordan Hill and the first round picks are huge. I'd say they won big time on that trade.

Chieflion
02-16-2010, 11:32 PM
It isn't even about leBron anymore, it is about cleaning up Isiah Thomas's mess.
By trading away more future picks? :lol

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 11:33 PM
By trading away more future picks? :lol

If this goes down, as sources are confident it will, then God Bless Donnie Walsh

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-16-2010, 11:34 PM
It isn't even about leBron anymore, it is about cleaning up Isiah Thomas's mess.

Yes and no.

By unloading Jeffries and Hill the Knicks might have room for TWO MAX free agents. Being able to sign two max players is the only way Lebron is going to the Knicks.

Pistons < Spurs
02-16-2010, 11:35 PM
The framework of the Bulls' offer is believed to include Brad Miller, Tyrus Thomas, and either Kirk Hinrich or John Salmons -- a combination reported Tuesday night by the Chicago Tribune. If Hinrich were involved, the deal would likely have another player going to Chicago with McGrady. The Bulls do not have any extra first-round picks, and thus might be compelled to seek out a third team to sweeten their offer. Minnesota and Memphis are among the teams with extra first-round picks to offer in a three-team scenario.

In the race for 2010 cap space, the Knicks apparently are so determined to complete their plan of creating enough flexibility to acquire two max free agents this summer that they are willing to include their own 2012 first-round pick; they do not have a 2010 first-round pick, having dealt it to Phoenix in the ill-fated Stephon Marbury trade. (Utah now owns the pick.)http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20097253

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Morey has started a bidding war, everybody throw in some picks now

djohn2oo8
02-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Bulls were gathering information on Tracy McGrady late Tuesday that suggested they were alive in the bidding with NY, a league source said. 2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/9220181104)from web

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Bulls trying to cockblock the Knicks

HarlemHeat37
02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
The Knicks offer is much better, depending on the protection IMO..

Either way, Houston wins here..Morey is just playing around at this point..

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Houston only wins if those picks turn out to be good. So they haven't won yet. Jeffries is a redundant piece on that roster with Ariza/Battier there.

GuerillaBlack
02-17-2010, 12:19 AM

We can all hope for a Joe Johnson repeat with Jordan Hill.

Houston only wins if those picks turn out to be good. So they haven't won yet. Jeffries is a redundant piece on that roster with Ariza/Battier there.

Morey is golden with picks, so even if the Knicks are good and the picks turn to be late first rounders, the Rockets are fine. Brooks, Landry, Budinger, Donte Greene (Sacramento now) were all picks around there. Jermaine Taylor is probably Morey's worst pickup, and even he isn't too bad. Dorsey is turning it around, too.

djohn2oo8
02-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Rockets brass holding late night meeting. Very confident. Didn't reveal much, but exec said all deals on table targeting "future assets" 7 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/9220982438)from web

http://twitter.com/Clutchfans

angelbelow
02-17-2010, 12:27 AM
interesting.. well i hope they T-Mac gets traded ASAP. My fantasy team is bleeding now that CP3 is out.

djohn2oo8
02-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Apparently, a while back Houston offered McGrady and Budinger for Iggy and Dalembert, Philly rejected, now they regret rejecting it. So, Morey may be able to get NY picks, and Iggy as well

bostonguy
02-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I wonder if the Knicks are going to buy out T-Mac after the trade.

djohn2oo8
02-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Naw, those idiots think he still got game

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 01:20 AM
They'll play Mcgrady...absolutely no reason not to. Jazz have their pick.

Kai
02-17-2010, 01:20 AM

It's just a 2 month rental, I'm sure they'll be eager to see just how much he's got left. They will own his bird rights, so they should at least explore the possibility of re-signing him if he can still play. Plus they don't own their draft pick this year, so it doesn't make any sense to try and tank.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Morey is golden with picks, so even if the Knicks are good and the picks turn to be late first rounders, the Rockets are fine. Brooks, Landry, Budinger, Donte Greene (Sacramento now) were all picks around there. Jermaine Taylor is probably Morey's worst pickup, and even he isn't too bad. Dorsey is turning it around, too.

That's fine. Still doesn't make the trade all that great until those picks turn out to be good though. We'll see what happens.

What I'm saying is Jeffries isn't that great. Knicks now have a shot at TWO MAX players. All in for them. The trade was a no brainer for New York. The Knicks really had no reason to keep Hill as he sucks pretty bad.

Even if Lebron doesn't pan out, they could still land Johnson and Amare or something and they're still better off if they didn't make the trade.

Kai
02-17-2010, 01:30 AM
That's fine. Still doesn't make the trade all that great until those picks turn out to be good though. We'll see what happens.

What I'm saying is Jeffries isn't that great. Knicks now have a shot at TWO MAX players. All in for them. The trade was good for both teams. Knicks really had no reason to keep Hill as he sucks pretty bad.

Even if Lebron doesn't pan out, they could still land Johnson and Amare or something and they're still better off if they didn't make the trade.

Even if the Knicks win the Finals the next two years, I don't think we really 'lose'. All we are doing is getting rid of McGrady. He's not part of our rotation, so we're playing with house money. Anything we get for him is a bonus. I'd much rather get a top 5-10 prospect from this last (09) draft , plus the option to trade picks next year (10) and a first rounder the next year (11) than to just let McGrady expire.

The Rockets might not even keep these picks, they are ultimately just assets that can be used by trading as well. Anything we aquire in this trade is a plus to us.

Also, we're aware that Jeffries sucks, but he's the reason the Knicks are willing to give us 2 picks, so he's okay in my book.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't think the Rockets can lose it either. Only negative is Hill/Jeffries means 2010 action is out of the question for the Rockets. That's fine though..you guys have some nice pieces already.

Kai
02-17-2010, 01:47 AM
I don't think the Rockets can lose it either. Only negative is Hill/Jeffries means 2010 action is out of the question for the Rockets. That's fine though..you guys have some nice pieces already.

If we were to keep McGrady we would have only had around 7 mil to spend anyways. we never had any sort of 2010 plan.

The cap is shrinking by a considerable chunk, and we still need to re-sign Lowry and Scola to bigger deals. if you don't renounce your bird rights to players, they count on your salary cap as 200% of their salary the previous year until you re-sign them. So McGrady's 23 mil off the books would be negated by Scola, Lowry and the shrinking cap. If we don't deal T-Mac now, we wouldn't have gotten anything out of it.

Lars
02-17-2010, 02:07 AM

Not really, if anything we are bigger players now. We now have even more assets to use in any sign and trade.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Not really, if anything we are bigger players now. We now have even more assets to use in any sign and trade.

Hill and Jeffries aren't much of an 'asset' for 2010.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 02:11 AM
If we were to keep McGrady we would have only had around 7 mil to spend anyways. we never had any sort of 2010 plan.

7 mil + battier or Ariza could have landed a decent player. Now the Rockets don't have a chance to do anything unless they want to trade Yao.

noob cake
02-17-2010, 02:26 AM
7 mil + battier or Ariza could have landed a decent player. Now the Rockets don't have a chance to do anything unless they want to trade Yao.

NP NP, we haven't made the trade yet

Lars
02-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Hill and Jeffries aren't much of an 'asset' for 2010.

We will have a shit ton of assets this offseason, 3 of which come from this trade:

Brooks (3 million)
Lowry (~5 million)
Battier (7 million)
Ariza (6 million)
Scola (~5 million)
Landry (3 million)
Hayes (2 million)
Budinger (1 million)
Hill (2 million)
2010 Lottery pick (~15th)
2011 first round pick from NY (could be anywhere)
2012 first round pick from NY (could be anywhere)

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 05:46 AM
We will have a shit ton of assets this offseason, 3 of which come from this trade:

Brooks (3 million)
Lowry (~5 million)
Battier (7 million)
Ariza (6 million)
Scola (~5 million)
Landry (3 million)
Hayes (2 million)
Budinger (1 million)
Hill (2 million)
2010 Lottery pick (~15th)
2011 first round pick from NY (could be anywhere)
2012 first round pick from NY (could be anywhere)

Again, HILL and JEFFRIES aren't valuable assets.

Those first round picks are yet to be determined depending on what you do with him. To think Mcgrady was a top flight NBA player only a few years ago the trade wasn't all that. But enjoy those late first rounders.

IF Houston re-signs Scola he's going to get more than 5 million. Houston probably isn't trading Brooks or Landry.

So unless the Rockets draft a superstar they aren't really going anywhere with the pieces they have currently.

Lars
02-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Jeffries isnt on that list, despite being an expiring contract, so I am not sure why you keep bringing him up. Hill is an asset, not sure why you think Hill has no value....

The picks are late first rounders at WORST, more likely they are mid first rounders, maybe lottery picks, depending on how lucky NY is. If say Bosh or Wade get fed up with thier home teams and want a move in the offseason, they become very valuable in any SNT because Toronto/Miami know that NY wont end up with "thier" guy.

Even if NY signs two max free agents, they will have 5 players on the roster, with zero picks. They would have too fill out thier roster with 7+ minimum salary guys LOL.

Scola likely signs an offer sheet for the MLE, which we can afford to match. No way he is offered more than that with so many other free agents out there. There just isnt enough money to go around.

Brooks or Landry would be the centerpiece in any SNT. Houston has made it known they would push for Bosh HARD, likely dangling Landry as bait. Does a Bynum + filler trump what we can offer? I doubt it.

We never wanted to draft a superstar, it was all about getting the assets for a trade. Morey has set himself up perfectly for the new CBA.

Kai
02-17-2010, 11:26 AM

Yes but we wouldn't have received a MLE if we were that much under the cap. now we can re-sign Scola Lowry & have the MLE (~5.5M) to spend. there's about a 1M difference. We didn't really miss out on anything.

blink
02-17-2010, 12:09 PM
rockets fans are idiots if they like this trade... taking on a crappy contract + risk the chance of getting shitty picks b/c knicks will sign a big free agent this summer.

let tmac expire, collect insurance on him, dont resign lowry/scola, and sign a player to 13mil (or a little higher and trade for expirings next deadline)

djohn2oo8
02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
rockets fans are idiots if they like this trade... taking on a crappy contract + risk the chance of getting shitty picks b/c knicks will sign a big free agent this summer.

let tmac expire, collect insurance on him, dont resign lowry/scola, and sign a player to 13mil (or a little higher and trade for expirings next deadline)

The Reward outweighs the risk for the Rockets. It is riskier for the Knicks to assume that those guys won't stay witht their teams. And you're an idiot if you think an impact player will sign for 13 mill.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Even if NY signs two max free agents, they will have 5 players on the roster, with zero picks. They would have too fill out thier roster with 7+ minimum salary guys LOL.

So? The Lakers won 3 championships with two max players and a bunch of min salary guys. Lebron + Bosh + Lee + scrubs in NY would still be a better team than the Houston Rockets.

Scola likely signs an offer sheet for the MLE, which we can afford to match. No way he is offered more than that with so many other free agents out there. There just isnt enough money to go around.

You are fucking dreaming if you think Scola signs the MLE. Plenty of teams with cap space that will lose out this summer. Scola will at the very least get Lamar Odom money.

Brooks or Landry would be the centerpiece in any SNT. Houston has made it known they would push for Bosh HARD, likely dangling Landry as bait. Does a Bynum + filler trump what we can offer? I doubt it.

Bynum + filler trumps any Houston offer not including Yao yes. The Lakers don't even want Bosh though.

Bosh seems like a pipe dream. And the contracts it would take to get him would make Houston pretty mediocre.

We never wanted to draft a superstar, it was all about getting the assets for a trade. Morey has set himself up perfectly for the new CBA.

Until Houston trades Yao for a real superstar piece Houston will remain a fringe playoff team not really going anywhere.

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes but we wouldn't have received a MLE if we were that much under the cap. now we can re-sign Scola Lowry & have the MLE (~5.5M) to spend. there's about a 1M difference. We didn't really miss out on anything.

Again Scola isnt' re-signing for the MLE. Not only is Scola worth more than the MLE, so is his market value.

Unless you guys are claiming Scola will turn down more money to play in Houston for the MLE, which seems like pure fantasy.

Kai
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Again Scola isnt' re-signing for the MLE. Not only is Scola worth more than the MLE, so is his market value.

Unless you guys are claiming Scola will turn down more money to play in Houston for the MLE, which seems like pure fantasy.

When did I ever say anything about Scola signing for the MLE? I said we could re-sign him for whatever it takes because we have his bird rights, plus we would have the MLE in addition to spend. that wouldn't happen if we were to let McGrady expire

blink
02-17-2010, 01:00 PM
The Reward outweighs the risk for the Rockets. It is riskier for the Knicks to assume that those guys won't stay witht their teams. And you're an idiot if you think an impact player will sign for 13 mill.

haha i guess bro. guess youre happy with being a team full of role players and never going anywhere. i'd rather gamble than sit through another shitty mediocre season. im tired of this BS from the rockets

djohn2oo8
02-17-2010, 01:13 PM
haha i guess bro. guess youre happy with being a team full of role players and never going anywhere. i'd rather gamble than sit through another shitty mediocre season. im tired of this BS from the rockets

Gamble on what? You win championships through building in the draft.

We are thinking long -term here

blink
02-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Gamble on what? You win championships through building in the draft.

We are thinking long -term here

Like someone said, this deal is only good if the picks are good. If somehow the knicks don't land a big free agent and continue to suck... We get a nice lotto pick. Added to that, you have to pick young talent and buildthem up and even then that takes years plus you don't even know if he is a bust until two years down the road. So we basically have a hit or miss on getting a nice lotto pick and a hit or miss on drafting a half decent player. That's more of a gamble to me than going out in the free agency looking to pick up known players. If the picks don't work out, we'll not only waste 7mil by picking up jeffries, we waste time developing young talent

djohn2oo8
02-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Like someone said, this deal is only good if the picks are good. If somehow the knicks don't land a big free agent and continue to suck... We get a nice lotto pick. Added to that, you have to pick young talent and buildthem up and even then that takes years plus you don't even know if he is a bust until two years down the road. So we basically have a hit or miss on getting a nice lotto pick and a hit or miss on drafting a half decent player. That's more of a gamble to me than going out in the free agency looking to pick up known players. If the picks don't work out, we'll not only waste 7mil by picking up jeffries, we waste time developing young talent

Lotto picks would be great, especially in the top 5. That said, Morey has done a brilliant job with picks that weren't high in the draft.

Aaron Brooks - 26th pick

Carl Landry - Second rounder

Chase Budinger - 2nd rounder

And those picks may be used in a sign and trade for Bosh in the summer

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 02:41 PM
When did I ever say anything about Scola signing for the MLE? I said we could re-sign him for whatever it takes because we have his bird rights, plus we would have the MLE in addition to spend. that wouldn't happen if we were to let McGrady expire

Houston would still have Scola's bird rights if they let Mcgrady expire; + 7 milion in cap space to spend.

The Rockets could use that cap space BEFORE re-signing Scola/Lowry if they wanted. Assuming Scola was on board and doesn't go somewhere else.

Look. Free agency begins on what, July 1st? Sign and trade for a 12-13 million player using that 7 mil + Battier/Ariza. Then re-sign Scola using bird rights.

If Houston trades Mcgrady then they're stuck with Jeffries and Hill. So instead of just trading Battier, you would have to Battier/Ariza plus two or three other different contracts to get that 12-13 million player.

The trade currently would SWAP picks in 2011 with the Knicks..so it' s not a free draft pick. If the Knicks sign Lebron + Amare or Bosh they're winning at least 55+ games the next 5 years.

Pistons < Spurs
02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
The Knicks and Rockets spoke this morning about a potential Tracy McGrady trade. Sources familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com that while the Knicks told the Rockets that they remain interested in acquiring McGrady in a deal for Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries, they are still unwilling to meet all of the Rockets' demands -- cap relief, Jordan Hill, the swapping of 2011 first-round picks and the Knicks' 2012 first-round pick.

"We'd like McGrady and the cap relief," one Knicks source said. "But the Rockets are asking for too much. We're willing to pay a premium to make a deal. But the price right now is still too high."

According to the source, the Rockets are still looking for other partners. The Bulls have been mentioned as a possibility, however, sources believe that their offer is less attractive than the Knicks' -- even if the Knicks don't give the Rockets everything they're asking for.

The Knicks also had several other trades brewing on Wednesday. Two sources said the Celtics and Knicks are in advanced talks about a Nate Robinson-for-Eddie House swap. However, both sources stressed that a deal was not completed yet.

The Timberwolves also inquired about a possible Darko Milicic-for-Brian Cardinal deal. The Knicks might be inclined to pull the trigger (it could save them some cash this year) depending on what happens with the Rockets and Celtics.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-2010

duncan228
02-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Rockets Leaning Toward Keeping McGrady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-rocketsleaningtoward&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

It’s been about eight weeks since the Rockets and used-to-be star guard Tracy McGrady parted ways, with Houston vowing to find a trade for McGrady. Over the last few days, a number of scenarios emerged—the most serious involving the Bulls and Knicks—and reports had McGrady’s departure from Houston seeming imminent.

But on Wednesday, sources told SN that the Rockets are now indicating they are leaning toward not trading McGrady—for now, at least. Houston, apparently, is unhappy with the offers it has gotten from the Bulls and the Knicks, which would involve the Rockets taking on too much long-term salary and not getting enough young assets in return.

The Bulls’ offer, reported in the Chicago Tribune, is the expiring contract of center Brad Miller ($12.3 million), plus forward Tyrus Thomas and either John Salmons or Kirk Hinrich. The Rockets don’t want Salmons, who has a player option for next season, and the remainder of Hinrich’s contract (he’s signed for two years after this season, at $17 million combined) is too hefty for the Rockets. The Bulls have been seeking a third team to make the deal work, but a source told SN that those efforts were not getting very far.

The Knicks’ offer centers on the expiring contract of Larry Hughes ($13.6 million), plus Jared Jeffries and a swap of draft picks. Contrary to reports, a source close to the negotiation has told SN that the Knicks have said they won’t part with rookie big man Jordan Hill in the deal, and if the Bulls are unable to sweeten their offer, the Knicks would have no reason to include him, because they’d be essentially bidding against themselves.

Of course, that’s one reason that Houston may be saying it’s going to pull out of McGrady dealings altogether—it’s a good smoke screen to give the Knicks some incentive to include Hill. If the Knicks are not bidding against the Bulls, the Rockets must make it seem that they’re bidding against something, and no deal at all is at least something. It’s no secret that the Knicks are desperate to unload Jeffries, because they would then be likely to have enough cap space this summer to make max-contract offers to two free agents, upping their chances at getting two of the top three (LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh) players on the market this summer.

McGrady’s expiring contract is worth more than $23 million.

The Franchise
02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Just let him expire and don't do the deal. Either the Knicks give what we want or they get nothing. Trying to change the deal at the last minute so that they can try and bend Houston over is unacceptable. We will be ok if the deal goes through or not.

ffadicted
02-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Knicks are fucking retarded if they don't pull the deal on this and give the Rockets Hill. There's no way they're luring just one superstar over the summer with their shitty team. Plus, who knows, maybe McGrady still has something left on the tank in a team willing to play him, and maybe ever resign him over the summer

djohn2oo8
02-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Rockets Leaning Toward Keeping McGrady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-rocketsleaningtoward&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

It’s been about eight weeks since the Rockets and used-to-be star guard Tracy McGrady parted ways, with Houston vowing to find a trade for McGrady. Over the last few days, a number of scenarios emerged—the most serious involving the Bulls and Knicks—and reports had McGrady’s departure from Houston seeming imminent.

But on Wednesday, sources told SN that the Rockets are now indicating they are leaning toward not trading McGrady—for now, at least. Houston, apparently, is unhappy with the offers it has gotten from the Bulls and the Knicks, which would involve the Rockets taking on too much long-term salary and not getting enough young assets in return.

The Bulls’ offer, reported in the Chicago Tribune, is the expiring contract of center Brad Miller ($12.3 million), plus forward Tyrus Thomas and either John Salmons or Kirk Hinrich. The Rockets don’t want Salmons, who has a player option for next season, and the remainder of Hinrich’s contract (he’s signed for two years after this season, at $17 million combined) is too hefty for the Rockets. The Bulls have been seeking a third team to make the deal work, but a source told SN that those efforts were not getting very far.

The Knicks’ offer centers on the expiring contract of Larry Hughes ($13.6 million), plus Jared Jeffries and a swap of draft picks. Contrary to reports, a source close to the negotiation has told SN that the Knicks have said they won’t part with rookie big man Jordan Hill in the deal, and if the Bulls are unable to sweeten their offer, the Knicks would have no reason to include him, because they’d be essentially bidding against themselves.

Of course, that’s one reason that Houston may be saying it’s going to pull out of McGrady dealings altogether—it’s a good smoke screen to give the Knicks some incentive to include Hill. If the Knicks are not bidding against the Bulls, the Rockets must make it seem that they’re bidding against something, and no deal at all is at least something. It’s no secret that the Knicks are desperate to unload Jeffries, because they would then be likely to have enough cap space this summer to make max-contract offers to two free agents, upping their chances at getting two of the top three (LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh) players on the market this summer.

McGrady’s expiring contract is worth more than $23 million.

Smokescreen

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I still say the Knicks do it..

Guys like McGrady are still popular here..if the Knicks get him, people here WILL go to the games to see him, myself included for a game or 2..

Pistons < Spurs
02-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Rockets tried to recruit Kings in T-Mac deal

As talks with the New York Knicks stalled on Wednesday night, the Houston Rockets quietly recruited the Sacramento Kings as part of a three-team trade discussion that would deliver Tracy McGrady(notes) to the Chicago Bulls, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The proposed deal was contingent on John Salmons(notes) staying with the Bulls, but that appeared in doubt with the Milwaukee Bucks expecting to complete their own trade for Salmons.

In the proposed trade, the Rockets would get Kenny Thomas(notes), Andres Nocioni(notes), Beno Udrith and a Kings’ protected No. 1 draft pick. Sacramento would acquire Tyrus Thomas(notes), Brad Miller(notes) and Salmons from the Bulls. The deal would cleare cap space for the Bulls this summer and save the Kings as much as $15 million in salary next year.

One source with knowledge of the Knicks’ talks with the Rockets said New York isn’t enthused about Houston’s demands. The Rockets want to trade first-round picks in 2011 and take the Knicks’ 2012 pick. They also have asked for cash, the source said.

It is unclear whether the Bulls will try to revive talks with the Rockets if they complete their trade with the Bucks. However, Houston clearly is worried about where the discussions with New York are headed as the deadline looms on Thursday.http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-mcgradyrockets021710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

djohn2oo8
02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Damn. They asked for cash too? Now they are just trying to extort the Knicks