PDA

View Full Version : Navy took my son

word
02-17-2010, 01:33 AM
My son went down to take the ASVAB and never came back. The Navy recruiter has him in a hotel downtown. He scored a 96, which apparently is pretty good, but you'd think they'd let him come home. I think they're afraid I'll talk him out of it, which I won't. I feel like he's been kidnapped. haha...

macdude06
02-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Im pretty sure..they go to meps from the hotel to get a physical..
but im air force and i went 2 weeks after i took my asvab..

JamStone
02-17-2010, 02:02 AM
Call them and then, in your best Mel Gibson voice, scream, "give me back my son!"

Avitus1
02-17-2010, 02:06 AM
call them and then, in your best mel gibson voice, scream, "give me back my son!"

lmao

PM5K
02-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Maybe the dingo ate your baby?

word
02-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Im pretty sure..they go to meps from the hotel to get a physical..
but im air force and i went 2 weeks after i took my asvab..

So they go in a group ? I thought it was strange they put 'em in a hotel rather than just tell 'em to show up at a certain time/place.

When the recruiter picked him up today to take his ASVAB I told him jokingly, 'Don't bring him back, just take him straight to boot camp from here.'

I thought, 'Man, he really took that serious.'

After he took the test the recruiter told him he could take any job he wanted. He wanted the SWCC program but the recruiter talked him into the nuclear engineering program. He's really good at math. Took high school level math in junior high. His mom is an actuary so she drilled math into him. So I guess that paid off. I don't think he'd have qualified for the physical test for SWCC anyway, though he says he could do it.

Only thing about the nuclear program is it's 6 years instead of 4, but the GI bill benefits are 145k, rather than the usual 90k. So that's good for him AND me. He was going to go to UTSA with out of state tuition and I was going to have to shell that out. So I'm happy.

TDMVPDPOY
02-17-2010, 03:36 AM
sausage fest test

xellos88330
02-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Same thing happened to me when I joined the Air Force. I had already signed the contracts and everything before I took the official ASVAB. After I took the official test and passed they put me in a hotel for the night and next morning I was on the bus to basic.

If he had already signed the papers, then that is probably what happened.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 10:11 AM
I say call them now and tell them that your name is Major Colonel Sergeant General George Lincoln and that Recruit (whateverthehellyourkidsnameis) is needed for a personal mission. They will understand because it's the navy and they probably hear that kind of stuff all the time.

SpursStalker
02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Maybe the dingo ate your baby?

Here let me help you ... it's better if they hear it!

:lol

ghCTZF61ey0

bus driver
02-17-2010, 12:15 PM
My son went down to take the ASVAB and never came back. The Navy recruiter has him in a hotel downtown. He scored a 96, which apparently is pretty good, but you'd think they'd let him come home. I think they're afraid I'll talk him out of it, which I won't. I feel like he's been kidnapped. haha...

tell your son thanks :toast

boutons_deux
02-17-2010, 12:47 PM
"Navy recruiter has him in a hotel downtown"

hmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

koriwhat
02-17-2010, 12:53 PM
recruiters are the biggest liars out there... "you can have any job you'd like... here's a mop, go clean the deck!"

they lied to my friend who joined the marines with a high score on his asvab and they lied to my brother who joined the navy(he probably sucked on the test) and i know a retired recruiter who put it simply like, "we tell you what you wanna hear".

EricB
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
:lol Seinfeld owns all...

word
02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Apparently, for the job he is qualifed for, they are not taking white males so it's going to be up to five months before a position is open. He was talking to a guy at the MEPS and he told him he could go to any other branch and get any job he wanted with his scores, but he wants the nuclear program in the Navy.

In the meantime, I'll be calling my Senator to complain.

baseline bum
02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Apparently, for the job he is qualifed for, they are not taking white males so it's going to be up to five months before a position is open. He was talking to a guy at the MEPS and he told him he could go to any other branch and get any job he wanted with his scores, but he wants the nuclear program in the Navy.

That sucks. I hope your son gets it in the next five months though, because the nuclear engineering program sounded pretty sweet when I was considering it. When I was in school I remember talking to someone in the Navy and the offer was something like $15,000 a year while in school, getting paid $45,000 the first year while going in a graduate program run by the Navy, and by the 5th year something like $80,000. I think it was a 5 year commitment back then though.

Anyways, good luck man. Nuclear engineering seems like such a fascinating field, and running a carrier or a sub sounds like so much fun.

Dex
02-17-2010, 04:46 PM
My son went down to take the ASVAB and never came back. The Navy recruiter has him in a hotel downtown.

fzUICBMQBNU

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Being an hispanic male or half black half euro (depending on which thread you read) that pisses me off. I have always believed that the best man for the job should be the one getting it. I hate to think that I might have gotten a position because of the color of my skin and not because I was better than the other guy (even though I would still take it). That sucks dude.

Drachen
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
That sucks. I hope your son gets it in the next five months though, because the nuclear engineering program sounded pretty sweet when I was considering it. When I was in school I remember talking to someone in the Navy and the offer was something like $15,000 a year while in school, getting paid $45,000 the first year while going in a graduate program run by the Navy, and by the 5th year something like $80,000. I think it was a 5 year commitment back then though.

Anyways, good luck man. Nuclear engineering seems like such a fascinating field, and running a carrier or a sub sounds like so much fun.

I have a buddy who works at Bjorns, whose brother did the nuclear engineering thing. He was out on an atoll in the pacific dismantling nuclear weapons for 11 months a year. He had nothing to spend all his money on, so whenever he would come back he would work his brother's discount to put together a sound system. I will just put it this way: He spent 25k on his sound system AFTER the discount. This only includes the sound system, not TV, not Blu Ray (didn't exist then), just sound. it was crazy good. So it seems that all the jobs you get with this allow you to save a TON of money because you make a lot and can't spend any of it where ever you are stationed.

DMX7
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Call them and then, in your best Mel Gibson voice, scream, "give me back my son!"

Don't this too seriously, lol.

Blake
02-17-2010, 05:40 PM

lil mo is not thankful for your son's future service. Sorry.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
lil mo is not thankful for your son's future service. Sorry.

:lol

PM5K
02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
fzUICBMQBNU

lol

PaulGreco
02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
I had the samething happen to me. I scored 95's on my ASVAB and never made it back. Recruiter offered me a signing bonus plus my choice of career and I was out.

Your son does know the Navy wears their names on the back of the jean pants right!!!

MLewis
02-17-2010, 08:49 PM

You might suggest to him to check out the Air Force while he waits. It can't hurt and he might find a job he likes there too. The quality of life is generally better in the Air Force, they just don't get all the cool uniforms or 6 months plus on a ship.

scampers
02-17-2010, 10:32 PM
He's probably doing a full MEPS process, which means he takes the ASVAB on the first day, spends the night in a hotel, and takes the physical and swears into the Delayed Entry Program on day two. Recruiters often try to get applicants to go down for the full MEPS program right away rather than just taking the test, because the longer the applicant waits to sign the bigger the chance they will bail or sign up for another service. This was probably his recruiters intentions the whole time. There's some real sneaky recruiters out there. Anyway, keep in mind that if he does swear in tomorrow, he's only promised to make a commitment. He can still change his mind, though the Navy will not like it one bit. You shouldn't worry about him shipping out the next day... those things rarely happen these days. It's possible of course, but I've heard people waiting to ship to Navy boot camp from an average of 3-8 months these days.

That being said, good luck to your son. Especially if he goes into the Nuclear program.. that stuff is the real deal. He may have to be in for 6 years, but afterwards he can expect some serious $$$ if he sticks with it post-Navy.