PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid !!!

twincam
04-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Alright after two months of posting on NBA forums, I've been reluctant to ask this question.
Why in the hell do people call the Spurs, the Mermaids?!

jalbre6
04-30-2005, 03:19 PM
D-Rob used to be called the Little Mermaid by his critics that thought he was too soft; sort of a play on "Admiral".

JsnSA
04-30-2005, 03:20 PM
A long time ago someone asked David Robinson what his favorite movie was...and he said something like, "I dont know...probably the little mermaid".

He was implying that he doesnt watch movies much..unless it was with his kids.

Well Spur haters twisted that into calling D Rob the little mermaid...and then the spurs were called the Mermaids as well.

Actually....I could be wrong But it might have been Jim Rome that got the "little mermaid" thing going. I dont think he meant it to be mean...he was just joking around..but others took it and ran with it.

twincam
04-30-2005, 03:21 PM
And the Anti-Spurs still live back to the D-Rob era?
Geez, don't these "TROLLS" have anything else better to do?

jalbre6
04-30-2005, 03:23 PM
A long time ago someone asked David Robinson what his favorite movie was...and he said something like, "I dont know...probably the little mermaid".

He was implying that he doesnt watch movies much..unless it was with his kids.

Well Spur haters twisted that into calling D Rob the little mermaid...and then the spurs were called the Mermaids as well.

Actually....I could be wrong But it might have been Jim Rome that got the "little mermaid" thing going. I dont think he meant it to be mean...he was just joking around..but others took it and ran with it.

Now that I think about it, I think Rome did start the Little Mermaid thing.

IceColdBrewski
04-30-2005, 03:34 PM
And the Anti-Spurs still live back to the D-Rob era?
Geez, don't these "TROLLS" have anything else better to do?

That's the confusing part. Go ahead and talk smack. But at least make sure it's up-to-date smack. :rolleyes

Solid D
04-30-2005, 04:21 PM
http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/right_napoleondynamite_1086820420.jpg

I'd rank Mermaids like 2nd next to Ligers. Yeah, it goes... Ligers 1st, Mermaids 2nd, Unicorns 3rd.

td4mvp21
04-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Its the Lakers fans that use it the most. But IMO, I'd rather be mermaid than a.....well i think there are alot of words we can fill in the blanks with so I will leave it at that.

cherylsteele
04-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Here's how I put it into perspective.....

Ancient mariner's tales use tell of how the mermaid brought bad luck to whomever the came into contact with....so since they call us "mermaids" that will cause any team we play to give them bad luck.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
are we talking about sirens or mermaids? ^

Gerryatrics
04-30-2005, 06:28 PM
I liked The Little Mermaid, the Disney version anyway. Good music. That doesn't really add to the current conversation in any way, just thought I'd put that out there.

RobinsontoDuncan
But hell I don't care if they call us the Mermaids, who gives a damn that's not insulting. Shit we should call ourselves Mermaids, why not that makes the spurs beautiful and exotic creatures.

Mermaids bothers me.... not at all. Jim Rome, he's just upset because he has to wear a tupee at age 30.

pooh0406
Its the Lakers fans that use it the most. But IMO, I'd rather be mermaid than a.....well i think there are alot of words we can fill in the blanks with so I will leave it at that.

are you sure??? i never saw a post that used that term to describe your team... this is the first time i knew of such...

slayermin
04-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Jim Rome, he's just upset because he has to wear a tupee at age 30.

:lol Romie wears a peice. Interesting that one of the clones haven't called him out on it.

T Park
04-30-2005, 06:36 PM
He wears a peice???

Uh, not the last time I saw him in person.......

Solid D
04-30-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www.knbr.com/jimRome/graphics/jimRomeBurning.jpg

First time I've heard anyone accuse him of having an opossum on his dome.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-30-2005, 06:54 PM
I was joking guys come on, laugh a little

cherylsteele
04-30-2005, 07:10 PM
are we talking about sirens or mermaids? ^

I read it was mermaids.....I may be wrong....I'll recheck it again.

cherylsteele
04-30-2005, 07:20 PM
I found this passage about mermaids:

According to myth, they lure sailors by singing and with lovely music. They live in a kingdom on the bottom of the sea, and it is here they take their prisoners to. From this story, the fear amongst the sailor grew and they thought that seeing a mermaid would cause bad luck: it could predict death by drowning.

http://www.geocities.com/mystic_dragon_moon_mistress/Mermaid.html

RobinsontoDuncan
04-30-2005, 07:55 PM
well then mermiads originated in greek Mythology, not western folk lore....interesting never knew that.

td4mvp21
04-30-2005, 07:58 PM
are you sure??? i never saw a post that used that term to describe your team... this is the first time i knew of such...

yes im sure

cherylsteele
04-30-2005, 09:03 PM
well then mermiads originated in greek Mythology, not western folk lore....interesting never knew that.

Although...other cultures could have believed otherwise......I have not heard of any others.....I do know that if an Albertross follows a ship, it is meant as good luck.