PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs still in mix but lack chemistry

duncan228
02-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Spurs still in mix but lack chemistry (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_still_in_mix_but_lack_chemistry.html)
Jeff McDonald

INDIANAPOLIS — On paper, it seemed like a summertime slam dunk.

The Spurs traded for scoring swingman Richard Jefferson in June, the next day drafted DeJuan Blair, an All-American from Pittsburgh, and signed veteran forward Antonio McDyess in July.

With that flurry of offseason embellishments, consensus around the league was that the Spurs had done the most of any team to improve their chances of challenging the Los Angeles Lakers for NBA pre-eminence.

Eight months later, the same Spurs team that won the offseason is 30-21 after the All-Star break, currently sitting seventh in the Western Conference, and spinning its wheels just to gain traction in one of the most tightly contested playoff races in memory.

“Bottom line is, we just haven't jelled as a group to date,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “We haven't developed a trust, a communication, a camaraderie on the court. That's rather strange for us.”

As the Spurs and other teams around the NBA have learned, when it comes to the math of offseason additions, there's no accounting for chemistry.

Call it clicking or coalescing or jelling or congealing. It is that simple magic of coming together that transforms a team into greater than the sum of its parts.

It is an elusive quality that can't be manufactured, forced or faked — the indefinable bond that allows a Houston team without Tracy McGrady or Yao Ming to take the Lakers to seven games last postseason, or a Portland team gutted by injuries to remain in the playoff picture this season.

As the Spurs resume their rodeo trip tonight at Indiana, “chemistry” has become the buzzword.

“It's been our biggest problem so far,” captain Tim Duncan said. “Just trying to get everybody on the same page, trying to get a positive vibe and positive energy in the locker room. All of that stuff lends to chemistry.”

The Spurs' lack of chemistry has been evident on the offensive end, where they are committing 13.7 turnovers per game. It is evident on defense, as they have slipped to 11th in field-goal percentage allowed (45.5 percent).

It is evident in fourth quarters, where the Spurs have often been unable to come together for the stop or the score required to close out tough games.

Fifty-one games into the season, Jefferson is still searching for his sea legs on his new team. McDyess just now seems to be finding his. Partially due to injuries and partly due to a try-anything approach to making his team click, Popovich has started 16 unique lineups, and the rotation remains in flux.

Last season, the Spurs overachieved to finish 54-28 and win the Southwest Division. That team, despite the holes created by an aging roster, had chemistry.

“Last year's team had less talent, but everybody's role was established,” said guard Roger Mason Jr., who through his agent has declared himself open to a trade. “This year, we've got new guys, a new system, you've got guys who aren't playing as much, guys you're incorporating. It doesn't surprise me we haven't jelled.”

The Spurs aren't the only team struggling with the concept of chemistry.

Orlando went to the Finals last season, replaced Hedo Turkoglu with All-Star Vince Carter, and is now laboring to keep pace with Cleveland in the Eastern Conference. Boston, a poster child for the power of team chemistry en route to the 2008 title, added Rasheed Wallace and has fallen to fourth.

Like the Spurs, Dallas has hit some rough patches despite an upgraded roster. After last weekend's seven-player trade with Washington, the Mavericks are due for another chemistry exam after the break.

“I don't think there's anything magical about it,” Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. “I think it's just guys understanding how their team has to play and staying with that. For some guys, that means adjusting from the way they've played in other situations.”

With Thursday's trade deadline looming, the Spurs have been shopping Mason in search of some frontcourt help. In the meantime, Spurs players cling to the belief that chemistry is still to be found within the walls of their own locker room

A 111-92 victory at Denver heading into the All-Star break provides hope.

The Spurs, for one of the few times all season, looked like the team the rest of the league envisioned out of training camp. To the most optimistic among them, it was a sign the Spurs, perhaps, are beginning to find some answers to their season-long chemistry test.

The proof is still to come.

“It's coming,” Duncan said. “You can see it. People are fighting for each other. People are rooting for each other and pulling each other along.

“But it's going to take a couple of wins, doing things the right way for a couple games in a row for that to sink in.”

Spurs Show

Jeff McDonald and Mike Monroe take a look at the Spurs as they resume their rodeo road trip.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/videos/84546272.html

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Chemistry helps, but it doesn't make up for lack of youth, athleticism, size, defensive energy/intensity and small ball..

timvp
02-17-2010, 02:56 AM
“Last year's team had less talent, but everybody's role was established,” said guard Roger Mason Jr., who through his agent has declared himself open to a trade. “This year, we've got new guys, a new system, you've got guys who aren't playing as much, guys you're incorporating. It doesn't surprise me we haven't jelled.”

RMJ is sounding more and more emo. Time to ship him out.

In fact, shipping out a couple swingmen and a big would in itself help out. This team is actually too deep. Time to cull the herd.

Russ
02-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Trade or no trade, this team has a good chance of making a second half surge. The W/L record isn't all that bad and, based upon point differential, they still have underperfomed. RJ has hit rock bottom, so his fears should subside and he may be able to rebuild his confidence.

The second half should be fun, or at least interesting.

EricB
02-17-2010, 03:01 AM

In fact, shipping out a couple swingmen and a big would in itself help out. This team is actually too deep. Time to cull the herd.

Yeah Mason is in a serious black eyeliner mode right now.

phxspurfan
02-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Hmm...did the Spurs FO throw too much money at their problems? Do we have too many chiefs and not enough Bonners?

Sean Cagney
02-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Chemistry helps, but it doesn't make up for lack of youth, athleticism, size, defensive energy/intensity and small ball..

Sounds like too much to overcome this year right now, you made me depressed again man :(

completely deck
02-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Sounds like too much to overcome this year right now, you made me depressed again man :(

The move (or lack of move) we make before the trade deadline will speak volumes on how the FO feels about this season (and the next).

L.I.T
02-17-2010, 03:19 AM

I really don't think youth and athleticism are a problem on the team this year. Between Hill/Blair/Jefferson they can play athletes at nearly every position except for center.

An argument could be made that defensive chemistry and lack of defensive energy/intensity are essentially one and the same. It's hard to be a lock down defensive team when players don't know where they're supposed to be or aren't putting forth sufficient effort. And if the players can't trust other players to be where they are supposed to be or do what they are supposed too (trust = chemistry?) then it's hard to be an intense defensive team.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2010, 04:33 AM
Blair is an average athlete and Jefferson is only a leaper, he has no lateral quickness or athleticism on defense at all due to previous injuries..Hill is the only athletic player that the Spurs play..it's an obvious problem that is glaring in most Spurs games..

I see what you're saying with the chemistry, but I don't think it's the same thing..a lot of players on this team look dead and lifeless a lot of the time..

Chemistry would obviously help, particularly when it comes to missing defensive rotations, but it doesn't make up for the other flaws with the Spurs' current rotation IMO..

MannyIsGod
02-17-2010, 04:58 AM
RMJ is out for himself when he should be out for the team. I've lost a shit load of respect for him this past week.

koriwhat
02-17-2010, 05:46 AM
RMJ is out for himself when he should be out for the team. I've lost a shit load of respect for him this past week.

i like mason and all but i was a bit of disappointed in him when he hosted that video contest where he was going to send 2 people to ny right after xmas and ended up bailing on the contest. that was a bad call on his part but it wasn't the end of the world. i still like ma$e and wish things were different but this definitely seems like the end of ma$e in the black and silver.

weebo
02-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Mason is not the high character guy he plays off to be. It clearly shows by his comments that he is only looking out for himself. Maybe if he wasn't such a crappy player he could get more playing time.

galvatron3000
02-17-2010, 07:51 AM

Emo? How? This is a good observation in my book what words, phrases or terms has he used to justify calling him emo?

The Truth #6
02-17-2010, 07:56 AM
He's looking out for his next contract. It's a business...

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-17-2010, 08:03 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Smith/Allen for RMJ/Dyess :smokin

ploto
02-17-2010, 08:28 AM
It is easy to blame the new guys or Mason, but even Tim, Tony, and Manu don't have good chemistry on the court.

Emo? How? This is a good observation in my book what words, phrases or terms has he used to justify calling him emo?

How many people on here have said the exact same thing?

L.I.T
02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Blair is an average athlete and Jefferson is only a leaper, he has no lateral quickness or athleticism on defense at all due to previous injuries..Hill is the only athletic player that the Spurs play..it's an obvious problem that is glaring in most Spurs games..

I see what you're saying with the chemistry, but I don't think it's the same thing..a lot of players on this team look dead and lifeless a lot of the time..

Chemistry would obviously help, particularly when it comes to missing defensive rotations, but it doesn't make up for the other flaws with the Spurs' current rotation IMO..

Jefferson is definitely quicker and more athletic than previous solutions at SF that played major minutes (excluding Bowen). I think the Spurs have gotten away with less athletic players in the past; the difference was those players had an overall better understanding of the Spurs system (I would argue).

But, I do agree with you completely regarding a missing element; a subject that I believe has been well discussed in some other threads. In the case of this team, I actually would say that two things are missing: will and then basketball IQ. Overall, this team seems to struggle with what they are supposed to do and where they are supposed to be.

...that and height and athleticism in the front court.

tmtcsc
02-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I had to look up what EMO meant. That's just sad. I'm 39 and out of touch. But yes, EMO is accurate slang for RMJ.

ElNono
02-17-2010, 09:39 AM

This.

I'm sure there's some chemistry problems, but you can't put all of our woes just on that... I would hate this to be the scapegoat...

Old School 44
02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

I had to look up what EMO meant. That's just sad. I'm 39 and out of touch. But yes, EMO is accurate slang for RMJ.

http://www.emophilips.com/content/emo_images/emo_philips_birthday_party.jpg

Agloco
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Spurs still in mix but lack chemistry (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_still_in_mix_but_lack_chemistry.html)
Jeff McDonald

RMJ isn't surprised, why can't Pop see that? RMJ knows Pop won't figure it out either, hence the trade request. Smart man.

Agloco
02-17-2010, 10:11 AM

So? It's a business right? He's in a contract year, let him earn his next one on the court not on the pine.

hater
02-17-2010, 10:19 AM
LMAO at the Mason haters

he plays hard on the court with 30 or 5 minutes. So what if he's in his contract year and wants more minutes.

Spurs office is a bunch of pussies if they get ticked off at Mason.

mason is a team player. stop rewriting history. Even he himselft tried to improve team chemistry by organizing BBQs, etc for the whole team.

hater
02-17-2010, 10:24 AM
BTW, note that Mason is one of the NBPA chairman. He knows very well that this is his last chance to try to get as much salary as possible. He knows most low minute NBA players will make peanuts next year.

toki9
02-17-2010, 10:32 AM
And Manu is probably experiencing similar feelings as Mason with regards to uncertainties about his contract and what that's doing to his head/play...it's just human nature to worry about your personal long term future...

Brazil
02-17-2010, 10:32 AM
LMAO at the Mason haters

he plays hard on the court with 30 or 5 minutes. So what if he's in his contract year and wants more minutes.

Spurs office is a bunch of pussies if they get ticked off at Mason.

mason is a team player. stop rewriting history. Even he himselft tried to improve team chemistry by organizing BBQs, etc for the whole team.

this. good post.

Of course Mason production decreased, Pop has played him from 30 mn to 0, put him in a PG role, destroyed his confidence... Mase is not a bb genious but he was trying.

SenorSpur
02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Jefferson is definitely quicker and more athletic than previous solutions at SF that played major minutes (excluding Bowen). I think the Spurs have gotten away with less athletic players in the past; the difference was those players had an overall better understanding of the Spurs system (I would argue).
That aint saying much. The Spurs have typically been one of the least athletic team in the NBA for years. That was fine when they were executing and defending with surgical precision. Over the past couple of years, the core of the team has indeed changed. The Big Three have amassed a lot of basketball mileage and have gotten older. Consequently, it's not just the lack of familiarity with the new players, it's also a decline in play from the mainstays.

To your point, I believe it's a combination of both new roster players with limited experience in the Spurs system. along with lingering deficiencies in age, athleticism and skill. Deficiencies the Spurs FO thought they were solving with the offseason acquisitions.

But, I do agree with you completely regarding a missing element; a subject that I believe has been well discussed in some other threads. In the case of this team, I actually would say that two things are missing: will and then basketball IQ. Overall, this team seems to struggle with what they are supposed to do and where they are supposed to be.

...that and height and athleticism in the front court.
The landscape of the NBA has changed. Younger, quicker, faster athletes have infiltrated the NBA and dominate rosters across the NBA. All of which make it even more difficult for older teams to win in this league. No longer is simple veteran experience and BBIQ a sure-fire recipe for success. Look no further than the Celtics and Mavs. Teams that are loaded with talent, albeit predominantly veteran talent. Now their rosters are also being ravaged with age & injury, which translates into lost man-games. The end result is terrible on-court chemistry.

Back to the Spurs, there's a reason that Blair and Hill are the only 2 Spur players to play in every game. They are 2 of the youngest players on the roster. Older players are injury-prone.

Despite the fact the Spurs FO thought they were making moves to get younger and quicker, it turns out they were not the correct moves. It's very obvious that this Spurs roster still has skill limitations and deficiencies for all the reasons HarlemHeat stated earlier.

z0sa
02-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Ahem. Chemistry is everything.

Death In June
02-17-2010, 11:00 AM
The guy is trying to market himself. You can't fault him, especially after word that the FO is looking to trade him. It's not like Mason asked to be traded. He only made mention of it after the organizations intentions were known. What did they expect with Mase, exactly? For him to play out of position and excel in a role he was never suited for?

Pauleta14
02-17-2010, 11:17 AM

This.
I'm sure that in a way, less options will mean an easier scenario for the players on the court...

Even if Mason sounds "emo", he is not completely wrong!
Look at what we did last year with less talent!!

I don't know whitch player(s) has to be sacrified, but it's obvious to me that we need to fix
1- The starting 5 (too many changes)
2- Everybody's role (idem)

Everything woll come off easily of that... (offense AND defense)

lurker23
02-17-2010, 11:32 AM

I was thinking this myself only yesterday. A trade that involves 3-5 Spurs players for 1-2 coming in would reduce our depth but perhaps go a long way toward defining roles and establishing a rotation.

Baseline
02-17-2010, 01:13 PM

This is about as direct an indictment of Pop by a (current) Spur player as I've ever heard. Although I think Mason is valuable to us when he gets burn, it's just not going to happen at this point. Pop is past that by now. Mason only got burn in the Nuggets game because Parker was out.

I'm with Timvp - time to ship him out.

ploto
02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
So? It's a business right? He's in a contract year, let him earn his next one on the court not on the pine.

It's only a business when ownership makes a choice for itself, but it is selfish when a player does the same thing.

galvatron3000
02-17-2010, 02:48 PM
It is easy to blame the new guys or Mason, but even Tim, Tony, and Manu don't have good chemistry on the court.

How many people on here have said the exact same thing?

Perhaps my understanding is incorrect but I was under the impression EMO was emotional and I see nowhere in the comment mention as emotional outburst just a good observation. Now again what justifies this title of EMO from the above statement only not something I know nothing about or do I have the wrong definition of EMO?

#2!
02-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Perhaps my understanding is incorrect but I was under the impression EMO was emotional and I see nowhere in the comment mention as emotional outburst just a good observation. Now again what justifies this title of EMO from the above statement only not something I know nothing about or do I have the wrong definition of EMO?

No, you're correct. Calling him "emo" is actually kind of emo though.

Mason has only said what many of the people who are criticizing him have said themselves on this website. Is it a offputting to hear? Maybe, but I don't see how that statement could be disputed.

Perhaps putting the players in their natural positions and allowing 4-5 man groups as much uninterrupted floor time together as possible to work out the kinks would have been a better route than the trial-and-error method that has dominated the season so far. I believe, looking at the players on the roster, most intelligent people can see what groups of guys have to play well together in order for the team reach its postseason potential (namely Tony, Manu, RJ, Dice, and Duncan), so what is the point of frittering away so many quarters, halves, and games on Tony-Roger-Manu-RJ-Blair type lineups when its clear from get-go the particular group on the floor will not be fielded against an opponent should we make it to the finals.

michaelwcho
02-17-2010, 04:40 PM

One might say it's wide, but not deep.