PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson Playing Mind Games With Other Coaches

Koolaid_Man
02-17-2010, 08:02 AM
"Our No. 1 thing is to get guys through the year in good health." Jackson said. "We think we can make the playoffs, and we feel we can get a good seeding to give us home-court advantage. From there on, it's about who is healthy."" -- Phil Jackson

Yes we know the road to the title goes through El Segundo and we know that other coaches know this...Phil is the master at downplaying the Lakers chances and it's what gives him the edge. Even Kobe picked up on this recently when he said Dallas was now on the Lakers level after the Caron and Haywood trades. It's subliminal gamesmanship.

In contrast look at George Karl in Denver, openly saying "We can beat the Lakers we have a championship team." this is not how you motivate your players every good teacher knows this. You focus on the work effort only not this superfluous praise and that's what seperates Phil from other coaches.

When Lakers traded for Gasol...Popovich melted down...and sent the wrong message to his players...Giving them the impression that the Lakers were the team to beat. Even if you feel that way as a coach you don't show your players your card deck in that manner. The Spurs never recovered from that. It was needless and inadvertant mind game by Pop.

The Suns also had a panic attack and traded for Shaq and still making bone headed descisions because of it. The suns were probably one of the most talented teams I've seen in awhile and simply couldn't get it done...even when Kobe was playing with total garbage. How sad!!! :hat

I could go on but these are just a few examples of how the battle can be won but the WAR lost. I say take notes from Phil...feel free to pass this wisdom from Koolaid along to your local radio affiliates so they can talk about it on the airwaves during the drive time home hours.

You're Welcome. :toast LAKERS 2010

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-17-2010, 08:14 AM
GK is right, they can beat the Lakers, even without Melo in LA.

You're Welcome :toast NUGGETS 2010

Muser
02-17-2010, 08:16 AM
So Phil Jackson is a great coach. We already know.