PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban Considering Playing Mavericks Games in Cowboys Stadium

duncan228
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Mark Cuban Considering Playing Mavericks Games in Cowboys Stadium (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-markcubanconsidering&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Sunday’s All-Star Game was a huge success in Dallas, where the spectacle and fun of the event triumphed over poor views for the basketball-record 108,713 fans in the Cowboys Stadium crowd. It went so well, in fact, that Mark Cuban thinks it could work for the Mavericks (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4919768). ESPNDallas.com’s Tim MacMahon has more:

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said Tuesday night that he is considering the idea of playing an occasional home game in the $1.2 billion stadium.

"There would be a lot of strategic reasons, in addition to potentially economic reasons, to play a game over there," Cuban said before the Mavericks’ road game against the Oklahoma City Thunder. "You could bring in twice as many fans, so economically it’d probably work out, and it’d be a unique attraction for people who wanted to come play for the Mavs."

Whoa, slow down Mark. There’s a lot to be said for playing a game in the stadium, especially if you’re able to get 50,000+ fans on your side for a game. That’s a homecourt advantage unlike any other.

But those games are likely to be playoff games or important regular season tilts, the kinds of games you want your team to be prepared for in the best way possible. Playing the game in a new stadium would involve asking the Mavs to change their routines and introduce new headaches just as the team needed normalcy more than ever. The extra fans are a positive factor for noise levels and the pocketbook, but I’m not sure they outweigh the importance of putting a playoff team in the most comfortable position possible.

As Cuban says, though, there are a lot of logistics left to work out before this becomes a reality. The afterglow of Sunday may dim by the time discussions get serious.

clambake
02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
he should worry about his team playing, period.

sefant77
02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Weekend games against Spurs or Rockets, could be fun and more like european soccer with thousands of opposing fans there too.

Koolaid_Man
02-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Weekend games against Spurs or Rockets, could be fun and more like european soccer with thousands of opposing fans there too.

hmmm....so more people can watch them lose...great idea...:lmao

Obstructed_View
02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Good, I didn't want to see those games on TV anyway...

jb4g
02-17-2010, 02:16 PM
obviously about the money, cause its certainly not about giving the fans a great experience...basketball in football stadiums is FAIL. But he'll probably do it, especially for Lakers and Cavs.

Phonzie20
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Not good but whatever.

nkdlunch
02-17-2010, 02:44 PM
because choking at the American Airlines center is not good enough?

mavs>spurs2
02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Why are all you non mav fans bitching about where Maverick games are played? Quit bitching and shut the fuck up

lefty
02-17-2010, 02:49 PM
That's GREAT news for Mavs fans.

At least for those setting in the upper seats; they won't be able to see Barrea

Ode to Triple Ocho
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
50k+ fans would mean shit in terms of home court advantage. That place isn't loud at all as we in the All-Star game. The crowd noise gets drowned out by the sheer size of the stadium.

Good for Cuban/Stern's pocket and fans that don't usually go to basketball games. That's about it.

Rogue
02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Cuban said it before the game against Thunder, that's why he was pompously confident that his team still hold so many proponents. Before planning to play a basketball game in a stadium containing over 100,000 seats, Cuban needs to estimate how many spectators will be attending the game and makes the final decision whether to fulfill the plan or not. It'd be quite an embarrassment if a game was playing with most seats vacant, especially when the seats count as many as 100,000.

dirk4mvp
02-17-2010, 06:39 PM
dammit rogue.

Cane
02-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm a fan of the idea especially for playoffs.

That huge motherfucking HDTV screen pretty much makes any seat okay. However my main beef is for the guys sitting at or near the court since the court is elevated. Kind of takes the appeal out of a courtside seat and it would be crazy to see players diving and hitting that floor.

Just for the hell of it:

sjesXiGAhKI

Bukefal
02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
That would be a mistake. Also it was a mistake to host the ASG in there, despite the amazing attendance.

The cowboys stadium should just be kept to football. Bigger does not always mean it's better.

Rogue
02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
dammit rogue.
sig&avatar bet? If Mavs happened to win the game tonight I would agree to wear whatever you like as my sig&avatar PERMANENTLY, deal?

mavsfan1000
02-17-2010, 07:16 PM
That would be awesome. Mavs don't really have that much of a home court advantage normally anyways in their other place.

Rogue
02-17-2010, 07:32 PM
That would be awesome. Mavs don't really have that much of a home court advantage normally anyways in their other place.
Nowhere could the Mavs get any legitimate home court advantage as long as their general manager is such an exhilarating piece of dipshit.

Jacob1983
02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Stupid idea if you ask me. The Mavs play in Dallas and are called the Dallas Mavericks. They aren't called the Arlington Mavericks. Keep the games in Dallas at the AAC.

Rogue
02-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Stupid idea if you ask me. The Mavs play in Dallas and are called the Dallas Mavericks. They aren't called the Arlington Mavericks. Keep the games in Dallas at the AAC.
then Stop calling the cowboys "Dallas Cowboys".