PDA

View Full Version : No, I am not thankful for your service. Sorry.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
It is your Job that You signed up for.
You are getting Paid to do Your job.

I don't care if you put your life on the line. You put yourself in that position either because you were too stupid to get a real job or too lazy.

Do your job and stop expecting some great level of respect for doing grunt work that someone else would do if you weren't there to do it.

Spurminator
02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Is it Lunchlady Appreciation Day or something?

Blake
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
is this in regards to enlisted men/women, firemen/women, police or all the above?

timvp
02-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Cattle inseminators?

Trainwreck2100
02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
lil'mo's chick must have fucked a sailor on a carnival cruise ship

Blake
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Cattle inseminators?

those guys deserve respect. They really get jerked around.

/rimshot

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 02:07 PM
in regards to enlisted men/women

mavs>spurs2
02-17-2010, 02:10 PM
while the OP is a dumbass and there's certainly honor in serving your country, what we are currently doing overseas right now is definitely not honorable.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
What an intelligent and well thought out thread post.

"Them military must be stupid or lazy if they're willing to put their life on the line"

You're right, it couldn't be because they value something greater than themselves and are brave enough to serve in that belief.

What's funny is that most service men and women don't expect any praise or congratulations (though when given it is very appreciated!). But, stereotyping an entire group of people as stupid or lazy is just moronic.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Rationalize your decision however you want. But basically what you do is a JOB. Your JOB is as honorable as being a trashman or clothing retailer or mall security.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Your dad must have been a sailor. It's ok lil' mo you'll see him one day.

mavs>spurs2
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
So you don't feel like you owe any gratitude to the people who fought in World War 2? Do you realize how that altered the outcome of the way the world is today? Because of them, you're able to sit there being an ungrateful little bitch and troll spurstalk in ENGLISH rather than in GERMAN. Suggesting they made the same difference in the world as a trashman or security guard is laughable. Sure, there's honor in those jobs, and someone has to do them, not everyone is cut out to be something great. But stop being a joke.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 02:53 PM
So you don't feel like you owe any gratitude to the people who fought in World War 2? Do you realize how that altered the outcome of the way the world is today? Because of them, you're able to sit there being an ungrateful little bitch and troll spurstalk in ENGLISH rather than in GERMAN. Suggesting they made the same difference in the world as a trashman or security guard is laughable. Sure, there's honor in those jobs, and someone has to do them, not everyone is cut out to be something great. But stop being a joke.

I support veterans of real wars, like ww2 and vietnam

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
They were drafted and did not make the choice, in most cases, to enlist.

mavs>spurs2
02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Then I agree with you mostly and support this thread :tu. Bush is a terrorist by our own definition.

mavs>spurs2
02-17-2010, 02:58 PM
I see your point, it is kind of corny to thank those guys for all that they do if say they're serving during a time when we aren't at war. In that case yes, they're just working a job like anyone else. That I can totally agree with. But even if I don't agree with the war, I've still got to support our troops at the very least. They didn't make the decision to go to Iraq.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 03:07 PM
That's cool, I don't disrespect or troops but I don't respect them any more than I respect anyone else who does their job.

BacktoBasics
02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree with 34% of this thread.

Dr. Gonzo
02-17-2010, 03:25 PM
I agree completely.

boutons_deux
02-17-2010, 03:42 PM
We all know damn well that "serving my country" is very often a smokescreen for the 10s of 1000s of poor people who join the armed forces when they can't find jobs in a bad economy. iow, a bad economy is a great military recruiting tool, as the military understands very well.

I haven't read ANY complaints by about military recruiters not meeting their goals since the economy went to shit and unemployment soared a couple years ago.

I'm sure there were plenty of bona fide patriots who joined after 9/11, but then the lying Repugs sent them to the wrong damn country.

And given how bad are the decisions by politicians to go to war, and how badly they've mismanaged Viet Nam (Tonkin Gulf was a lie), Afghanistan, then absolutely, criminally lied their way into Iraq (read the UK enquiry into the Iraq run-up, if you have any doubts), I figure you have to be really desperate to join the Army or Marines now and yield your life/limbs/mind to these political assholes to screw up and waste, then get abandoned to oceans of red-tape and delays when trying to medical treatment post-service.

The guys who really needed sympathy but got nothing but abuse from Americans were the conscripted VN vets. I've never understood why people blamed these poor suckers for VN.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree with 34% of this thread.

I thought your bitch ass was leaving to become a full-time custodian?

Shaolin-Style
02-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Just tell them good job or bad job if being thankful is such a problem for you.

Or be weird and say nothing at all lol

desflood
02-17-2010, 03:58 PM
They've never asked for or expected any thanks from self-important little monsters such as yourself, and you show show an appallingly huge ego in thinking that they want or need your thanks to continue to do what they do.

I don't care if you put your life on the line. You put yourself in that position either because you were too stupid to get a real job or too lazy.
As for this, it shows an equally appalling ignorance on your part.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Just tell them good job or bad job if being thankful is such a problem for you.

Or be weird and say nothing at all lol

How am I supposed to know if they are doing a good job or a bad job? That's for their co's to decide. If I see the trash guy doing a good job, though, I'll say so and throw him a coke.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 04:07 PM
That's cool, I don't disrespect or troops but I don't respect them any more than I respect anyone else who does their job.

Your opening post in this thread called service members lazy idiots.

What about that statement is not disrespectful?

MiamiHeat
02-17-2010, 04:10 PM
OP - this thread is idiotic.

Drachen
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM

it was a bartender.

jaffies
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
AFBlue

I always assumed 'AF' stood for Air Force.
Is this correct?

Blake
02-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Do your job and stop expecting some great level of respect for doing grunt work that someone else would do if you weren't there to do it.

Just curious if you think policemen or firefighters were too stupid or too lazy to get real jobs as well.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
They've never asked for or expected any thanks from self-important little monsters such as yourself, and you show show an appallingly huge ego in thinking that they want or need your thanks to continue to do what they do.

It's not that they want it or need it (maybe they do), but it's as if they expect it. Like they truly believe they've earned respect and admiration because they've completed basic training or wear a uniform or some shit or because their co's and recruiters tell them they've earned respect. It's a recruiting tool, used for recruiting tools.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
As for this, it shows an equally appalling ignorance on your part.

We all know damn well that "serving my country" is very often a smokescreen for the 10s of 1000s of poor people who join the armed forces when they can't find jobs in a bad economy. iow, a bad economy is a great military recruiting tool, as the military understands very well.

I haven't read ANY complaints by about military recruiters not meeting their goals since the economy went to shit and unemployment soared a couple years ago.

I'm sure there were plenty of bona fide patriots who joined after 9/11, but then the lying Repugs sent them to the wrong damn country.

And given how bad are the decisions by politicians to go to war, and how badly they've mismanaged Viet Nam (Tonkin Gulf was a lie), Afghanistan, then absolutely, criminally lied their way into Iraq (read the UK enquiry into the Iraq run-up, if you have any doubts), I figure you have to be really desperate to join the Army or Marines now and yield your life/limbs/mind to these political assholes to screw up and waste, then get abandoned to oceans of red-tape and delays when trying to medical treatment post-service.

The guys who really needed sympathy but got nothing but abuse from Americans were the conscripted VN vets. I've never understood why people blamed these poor suckers for VN.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Your opening post in this thread called service members lazy idiots.

What about that statement is not disrespectful?

I said they were either stupid OR lazy... if you're a combination of both then that's your own problem.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 04:27 PM
OP - this thread is idiotic.

Hardly.

timvp
02-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Whatever happened to posting controversial threads under one's real screen name? That used to be a cool thing to do back in the olden days of 2008 A.D.

It's a recruiting tool, used for recruiting tools.

That said, that was quality wordsmithing.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
I said they were either stupid OR lazy... if you're a combination of both then that's your own problem.

As if the two treated seperately change the outcome?

Calling someone stupid OR lazy isn't exactly a sign of respect. You can work whatever angle you want (it's all semantics), but you still contradict yourself within the span of 5 posts.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
AFBlue

I always assumed 'AF' stood for Air Force.
Is this correct?

Yessir.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 04:46 PM
It's not that they want it or need it (maybe they do), but it's as if they expect it. Like they truly believe they've earned respect and admiration because they've completed basic training or wear a uniform or some shit or because their co's and recruiters tell them they've earned respect. It's a recruiting tool, used for recruiting tools.

Why do you insist on stereotyping an entire group of people?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I know probably 100 times the number of military you do, and I can say with confidence that almost all of them are unassuming.

I'd like to know just how many soldiers, sailors, airmen, or marines you've met that gave you this overwhelming notion we're respect-craving attention whores?

ShoogarBear
02-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Whatever happened to posting controversial threads under one's real screen name? That used to be a cool thing to do back in the olden days of 2008 A.D.

lol at a coward calling other people stupid and lazy.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Just curious if you think policemen or firefighters were too stupid or too lazy to get real jobs as well.

It's a little harder to get into police academy or fire school, and if you are one of the few smart ones you'll be promptly promoted, and set aside from the rest. In the military you have all of these guys retiring after 4-year commitments as pfc's! :lol and even if you do get promoted once or twice in the military it's no more than saying you were among the smarter of the dumb persons in a population.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 04:55 PM

That said, that was quality wordsmithing.

This is my real screen name! What are you talkin about sucka!

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 04:57 PM
As if the two treated seperately change the outcome?

Calling someone stupid OR lazy isn't exactly a sign of respect. You can work whatever angle you want (it's all semantics), but you still contradict yourself within the span of 5 posts.

Quote my contradiction.

DMX7
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM

What about Afghanistan??? And the guys like Pat Tillman who turned down millinos of dollars to fight the real bad guys in Afghanistan, they guys actually responsible for 9/11.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Why do you insist on stereotyping an entire group of people?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I know probably 100 times the number of military you do, and I can say with confidence that almost all of them are unassuming.

I'd like to know just how many soldiers, sailors, airmen, or marines you've met that gave you this overwhelming notion we're respect-craving attention whores?

It's not one particular individual as it is society as a whole thinks we should feel this way. I'm not gonna sit here and say "Frank, my neighbor down the street who was in the army says....."

No, no, it more has to do with all of these military appreciation nights and wear your uniforms and get a free grand-slam breakfast, or some bullshit.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
lol at a coward calling other people stupid and lazy.

Good one! :tu :lol

Dr. Gonzo
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
I know many people that joined the service to avoid taking care of their kids. I support deadbeat dads.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
What about Afghanistan??? And the guys like Pat Tillman who turned down millinos of dollars to fight the real bad guys in Afghanistan, they guys actually responsible for 9/11.

Yeah, you know what happened to a true AMerican Patriot like Pat Tillman? Shot by "friendly fire" morons that I'm talking about in this thread.

Thank you for making my point.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote my contradiction.

Okay...

Then...

Then you followed with this nugget...

It's a little harder to get into police academy or fire school, and if you are one of the few smart ones you'll be promptly promoted, and set aside from the rest. In the military you have all of these guys retiring after 4-year commitments as pfc's! and even if you do get promoted once or twice in the military it's no more than saying you were among the smarter of the dumb persons in a population.

DMX7
02-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah, you know what happened to a true AMerican Patriot like Pat Tillman? Shot by "friendly fire" morons that I'm talking about in this thread.

Thank you for making my point.

I know that. But it doesn't make your point.

You've conveniently disregarded the purpose of my statement which is to prove that you should be thankful that some people are motivated by righteous purposes, not just money or because they can't get a job anywhere else.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm not one who gets along with this poster but +1 on the thread. People who think voluntarily serving in the army deserves some special privileges in society are morons. You enlisted to go occupy a country that was never a threat to the US, don't come back and expect me to slob your knob, and especially don't come back acting like you have some expert opinion on all the good you were brain washed into thinking this war does.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 05:14 PM
It's not one particular individual as it is society as a whole thinks we should feel this way. I'm not gonna sit here and say "Frank, my neighbor down the street who was in the army says....."

No, no, it more has to do with all of these military appreciation nights and wear your uniforms and get a free grand-slam breakfast, or some bullshit.

So it seems your problem is more with the people who organize events of appreciation and not the military members that are actually recognized.

Again, I don't know ANY military member that expects some higher level of respect and gratitude from you or anyone...but if someone or some organization chooses to be unlike you and recognize military, then why should military members not accept it?

If you want to expose some double-standard, then I suggest doing so by addressing the people or organizations that set the standard...not taking it out on largely unassuming military members who really don't ask for the praise in the first place.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Okay...

Then...

Then you followed with this nugget...

Me calling you stupid or lazy is not disrespectful. If I see a blue duck and I say that the duck is blue, is that disrespectful to the duck?

MannyIsGod
02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
I always wondered if there is such a great amount of honor for serving and if people do it for honorable reasons then why do the majority of enlisted men and women come from poor backgrounds?

While I definitely believe some people join up out of a sense of honor or patriotism I'm not sure you can say that about most who enlist.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2010, 05:27 PM
I can understand the OP's reasoning although when I joined the service it was because it was something I wanted to do. I had already been accepted to several colleges but wanted to the experience and I don't regret it at all.
Yeah, there are some who think they are owed something for serving but I have found that to seldom be the case.
Is it a job? Yeah, but it is also an adventure. Too stupid or lazy is not how I would describe the majority of the military. But that is just me.
But to say you are not thankful for living and breathing and enjoying the very freedom that they provide? I prefer you just thank them and be on your way. Either way I don't give a ......sorry, got carried away.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I always wondered if there is such a great amount of honor for serving and if people do it for honorable reasons then why do the majority of enlisted men and women come from poor backgrounds?

While I definitely believe some people join up out of a sense of honor or patriotism I'm not sure you can say that about most who enlist.

I beg to differ. I find that perhaps it is the poor who more greatly appreciate the freedom and opportunities that this Country provides and where those who are not from the poorer neighborhoods don't quite grasp or at least see honor and love for their Country in a different way. The poor may not have all the possessions and all but they will be amongst the first to protect what they do have. I am not a smart man but that is how I see it.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Me calling you stupid or lazy is not disrespectful. If I see a blue duck and I say that the duck is blue, is that disrespectful to the duck?

:lol

That is a terrible argument, because it asssumes that service members being dumb or lazy is fact. Do you have any actual evidence to prove that military members are in fact dumber or lazier than the general populace?

Cane
02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
There's plenty of people that are anti-military but at the end of the day they're the ones putting their lives on the line so trolls like the OP can spout whatever bullshit they want.

In that case you're a dumbass, attention-whoring troll. :lol No disrespect just calling the dumbass troll a dumbass troll.

DMX7
02-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm not one who gets along with this poster but +1 on the thread. People who think voluntarily serving in the army deserves some special privileges in society are morons. You enlisted to go occupy a country that was never a threat to the US, don't come back and expect me to slob your knob, and especially don't come back acting like you have some expert opinion on all the good you were brain washed into thinking this war does.

I was against the war in Iraq from the start but you must have a short memory. Ever heard of 9/11 and Al-Qaeda... yeah, we're still fighting them because of stupid Bush diverting our resources to Iraq.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
i know that. But it doesn't make your point.

You've conveniently disregarded the purpose of my statement which is to prove that you should be thankful that some people are motivated by righteous purposes, not just money or because they can't get a job anywhere else.

"some" does not equate majority. There are undoubtedly righteous people out there who's purpose is misdirected by those in charge.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Most people I know who serve don't see it as a political thing and would serve their country regardless of who the Commander in Chief is.

Cane
02-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Thats a lot of vague generalizations and assumptions but yea I wouldn't expect you to slob on my knob if I served. If that was the case everyone would be. :lol

I somewhat agree with the tone about Iraq but Afghanistan...not so much.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM

That is a terrible argument, because it asssumes that service members being dumb or lazy is fact. Do you have any actual evidence to prove that military members are in fact dumber or lazier than the general populace?

CALLING SOMETHING WHAT IT IS IS NOT DISRESPECTFUL.

FOR EXAMPLE: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146447

THIS IS YOUR AVERAGE AMERICAN MILITARY RECRUIT. IF YOU NEED REAL, DOCUMENTED STATISTICS, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO WAIT TIL I GET HOME AND HAVE SOME TIME, BUT WHY DON'T YOU REMOVE THE BLINDERS AND SEE YOUR MILITARY FOR WHAT IT IS?

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM

So are you saying that you can't be poor AND patriotic? I am not saying all the people from prro backgrounds are but it seems like you are saying they can't be both.

Besides, why does it even matter if they are poor or rich or middle class? You aren't doing it so why do you care? Somebody has to do it and as long as the branches of military are accepting people will continue to enlist.

You people are so caught up in who does/ doesn't enlist but would never do it yourself. If some guy goes in with the sole intention of collecting a paycheck then so be it. I would rather my money go to some guy that is willing to put his life on the line or push a mop or peel f'n potatoes than some guy on the corner with his hand out.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
I was against the war in Iraq from the start but you must have a short memory. Ever heard of 9/11 and Al-Qaeda... yeah, we're still fighting them because of stupid Bush diverting our resources to Iraq.

I'm talking about Iraq. People come back and act like killing Iraqis with no association with Al Qaeda is heroic.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 05:54 PM

THIS IS YOUR AVERAGE AMERICAN MILITARY RECRUIT. IF YOU NEED REAL, DOCUMENTED STATISTICS, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO WAIT TIL I GET HOME AND HAVE SOME TIME, BUT WHY DON'T YOU REMOVE THE BLINDERS AND SEE YOUR MILITARY FOR WHAT IT IS?

Your point is? Since you are obviously more intelligent then the recruits going in then why don't you enlist so you can change things?

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 05:55 PM

BECAUSE I SEE MY MILITARY EVERYDAY AND IT'S NOT FULL OF A BUNCH OF LAZY IDIOTS.

And yes, I think I'll wait for something less subjective than one Spurstalk poster who inquired about the possibility of joining the Air Force. Thanks.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm talking about Iraq. People come back and act like killing Iraqis with no association with Al Qaeda is heroic.

I have friends that have done tours in Iraq and not one of them has come back feeling "heroic". For the most part they have trouble sleeping for quite some time and afterwards they don't talk about it much.

Cane
02-17-2010, 05:56 PM

I'd say risking your life in order to rebuild another nation from an oppressive leader like Saddam is worthy of respect. However Bush and Cheney have a lot of explaining to do for the horseshit they said.

Its pretty damn respectable to join now since we're actively engaged in war(s) and enlisted personnel have been serving more than their share of tours already. Those joining realize such and that takes a lot of balls :toast

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
There's plenty of people that are anti-military but at the end of the day they're the ones putting their lives on the line so trolls like the OP can spout whatever bullshit they want.

:ROLLEYES This is what I'm talking about. Acting like anything that they do has any bearing on what we do over here :rollin It's ridiculous and you all buy into it!

MannyIsGod
02-17-2010, 06:05 PM
So are you saying that you can't be poor AND patriotic? I am not saying all the people from prro backgrounds are but it seems like you are saying they can't be both.

No. I don't see how you could even infer that. Are you saying the poor are more patriotic? Are you saying that people are rich have no honor? Explain to to me why the wealthy don't enlist as much?

Besides, why does it even matter if they are poor or rich or middle class? You aren't doing it so why do you care? Somebody has to do it and as long as the branches of military are accepting people will continue to enlist.

Are you afraid of people wanting to understand why people enlist? If it doesn't matter why people enlist then why are you so defensive?

You people are so caught up in who does/ doesn't enlist but would never do it yourself. If some guy goes in with the sole intention of collecting a paycheck then so be it. I would rather my money go to some guy that is willing to put his life on the line or push a mop or peel f'n potatoes than some guy on the corner with his hand out.

Who's advocating that choice other than you? Why are you so defensive and afraid of people asking the question of why people enlist? Don't you think recruiters do that every day in order to better meet their recruiting goals?

MannyIsGod
02-17-2010, 06:07 PM
I beg to differ. I find that perhaps it is the poor who more greatly appreciate the freedom and opportunities that this Country provides and where those who are not from the poorer neighborhoods don't quite grasp or at least see honor and love for their Country in a different way. The poor may not have all the possessions and all but they will be amongst the first to protect what they do have. I am not a smart man but that is how I see it.

So you think poor and working class have more honor than the rich?

mrsmaalox
02-17-2010, 06:07 PM

All of the military people I know feel this exact same way.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Your point is? Since you are obviously more intelligent then the recruits going in then why don't you enlist so you can change things?

And you are one of the idiots that negatively skews the national iq. The thread is not about enlisting, it is about the undeserved praise and admiration being doled out because of what being in the military ONCE meant.

MannyIsGod
Also, if the main reason people join up is honor then why are recruitment bonuses used? Why not just some honorary recognition?

mrsmaalox
Most people I know who serve don't see it as a political thing and would serve their country regardless of who the Commander in Chief is.

Exactly :tu

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
BECAUSE I SEE MY MILITARY EVERYDAY AND IT'S NOT FULL OF A BUNCH OF LAZY IDIOTS.

And yes, I think I'll wait for something less subjective than one Spurstalk poster who inquired about the possibility of joining the Air Force. Thanks.

OK, I will follow through, not because I want to prove you wrong, but because I want you to see the light.

Question: the majority of service men/women you know are enlisted men? or officers? Big Difference (stupidity/laziness-wise).

Cane
02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
:ROLLEYES This is what I'm talking about. Acting like anything that they do has any bearing on what we do over here :rollin It's ridiculous and you all buy into it!

Oh it affects us on a much greater scale than what you realize. But of course you wouldn't realize it since you have the mind of a dumbass teenager. You really think that being engaged in war has no effect on the USA? Not even economically, politically or militarily? That doesn't even make sense.

Makes even less sense when you consider that dipshits such as yourself take this opportunity to attention whore and tell vets "sorry, no thanks you lazy idiots". Apparently what they do does have a "bearing" on what you do "here" since you feel a need to let Spurstalk know what you think about it :lol

JoeChalupa
02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
So you think poor and working class have more honor than the rich?

No, not at all. Just a different view perhaps of what they have and are thankful for. For some just living in this Country is reason enough to serve.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Also, if the main reason people join up is honor then why are recruitment bonuses used? Why not just some honorary recognition?

Well, back in my day I didn't get any bonus. I was happy with the t-shirt I got. Today bonuses are not uncommon and it as you well know other "employers" use bonuses all the time to get the best "recruits". It is after all just a job, no?

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 06:14 PM
I think that generalizing the intent of individuals who join the military is wrong. The truth is that people from all socioeconomic classes join for all kinds of reasons.

The one thing to note is that the military life is not easy. It's filled with long hours, low pay (relative to responsibility and equivalent civilian job) and yes, the possibility of deployment to a war zone.

I'm not saying this to receive praise but to suggest that whatever the reason individuals have for joining, it soon becomes pretty clear that you really have to WANT this life. And to continue in it, usually there is foundation of serving something greater than your own self interest.

That's mostly why I disagree with the OP on his classification of military as stupid...and most certainly lazy. There are easier/lazier ways to earn a buck or get your college paid for.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 06:18 PM
OK, I will follow through, not because I want to prove you wrong, but because I want you to see the light.

Question: the majority of service men/women you know are enlisted men? or officers? Big Difference (stupidity/laziness-wise).

Most I know are enlisted, but I've known and worked with E-1s to E-9s, O-1s to O-6s...so it pretty much crosses the spectrum.

Drachen
02-17-2010, 06:18 PM

No one said honor was the main reason it is one of the reasons just like lack of employment is one of the reasons, but in those cases where honor is a primary motivator I will answer your question.

It is because even smart productive people with honor like to have money too.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 06:19 PM
I think that generalizing the intent of individuals who join the military is wrong. The truth is that people from all socioeconomic classes join for all kinds of reasons.

The one thing to note is that the military life is not easy. It's filled with long hours, low pay (relative to responsibility and equivalent civilian job) and yes, the possibility of deployment to a war zone.

I'm not saying this to receive praise but to suggest that whatever the reason individuals have for joining, it soon becomes pretty clear that you really have to WANT this life. And to continue in it, usually there is foundation of serving something greater than your own self interest.

That's mostly why I disagree with the OP on his classification of military as stupid...and most certainly lazy. There are easier/lazier ways to earn a buck or get your college paid for.
99% of America's future enlisted-men would LOVE to know more!

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Oh it affects us on a much greater scale than what you realize. But of course you wouldn't realize it since you have the mind of a dumbass teenager. You really think that being engaged in war has no effect on the USA? Not even economically, politically or militarily? That doesn't even make sense.

Makes even less sense when you consider that dipshits such as yourself take this opportunity to attention whore and tell vets "sorry, no thanks you lazy idiots". Apparently what they do does have a "bearing" on what you do "here" since you feel a need to let Spurstalk know what you think about it :lol

I'm sorry, I just had butterfly effect in my mind. What were you saying? You believe in butterfly effect? ROFL

Drachen
02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
99% of America's future enlisted-men would LOVE to know more!

fafsa.ed.gov

Duff McCartney
02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't even understand why this thread was made but....someone said that we'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for WWII Vets. Well that's quite a leap of logic if you ask me. I doubt Hitler had the resources or the ability to control the entire European continent for more than a few years, let alone invade the United States and take it over. If anything the turning point in WWII was the Battle of Stalingrad..we should be thanking the Russians for that.

Regardless, I do agree that some military members act like you gotta suck them off whenever they come back. I remember some guy at a bar who my cousin accidently bumped into got his panties in a wad. He was a Marine who just got back from Iraq..and made it his business to tell us what he did and how many guys he killed in Iraq, like somehow we owed him something. Then he made the point to point at his tatoos on his shoulder and get all tough with us. My cousin even massaged his ego and said he appreciates the servicemen and the guy still wanted us to bow down to him.

I think some points are valid and some are not. There are some service members who feel they need to be catered to because of what they do. There are also some enlisted people who enlist because they have nothing better in their future, or who were given the option of the military or jail by a judge.

Drachen
02-17-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't even understand why this thread was made but....someone said that we'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for WWII Vets. Well that's quite a leap of logic if you ask me. I doubt Hitler had the resources or the ability to control the entire European continent for more than a few years, let alone invade the United States and take it over. If anything the turning point in WWII was the Battle of Stalingrad..we should be thanking the Russians for that.

Regardless, I do agree that some military members act like you gotta suck them off whenever they come back. I remember some guy at a bar who my cousin accidently bumped into got his panties in a wad. He was a Marine who just got back from Iraq..and made it his business to tell us what he did and how many guys he killed in Iraq, like somehow we owed him something. Then he made the point to point at his tatoos on his shoulder and get all tough with us. My cousin even massaged his ego and said he appreciates the servicemen and the guy still wanted us to bow down to him.

I think some points are valid and some are not. There are some service members who feel they need to be catered to because of what they do. There are also some enlisted people who enlist because they have nothing better in their future, or who were given the option of the military or jail by a judge.

This can also happen with any of the douches from Jersey Shore. If anything this comment proves that there is a pretty good cross-section of the American society represented by the armed forces. Douches and all.

AFBlue
02-17-2010, 06:26 PM

What if I said I worked on an early-warning air defense program designed to spot unauthorized, unidentified, or off-track airplanes...would you not consider that as having an impact?

You're operating from a position of ignorance, so I don't blame you for making brash generalizations on the mission or the people. But I think I'm going to spend my time elsewhere.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2010, 06:27 PM
It sounds to me like many feel that serving in the military is for those with "nothing better to do" or they have no other future and while that may true of some I don't find that to be the norm. I hate it when someone says of someone who joins the service.."What a waste.." like it is bad for someone with a 4.0 GPA and honor student to join the military or to give up an NFL career and serve because they had nothing better to do. I just don't get it.

Cane
02-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry, I just had butterfly effect in my mind. What were you saying? You believe in butterfly effect? ROFL

Oh thats right, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan only have a 'butterfly effect' on the USA politically, economically, and militarily.

Their service also somehow has a 'butterfly effect' on you posting trolling shit with nothing of substance to reinforce your petty "arguments". :lol

BlackSwordsMan
02-17-2010, 06:29 PM
burger king grillers don't get respect so you shit on enlisted men?
good thread

ferg
02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
op, seriously, keep your fucking thanks. i dont need to hear you say "thank you" to validate what i do. its ungrateful fucks like you who benefit from what i have done in my short 8 yrs in the military. if you think its "just a job" i challenge you to reach in ur pants, grab what little sack you have and come do what i do as "just a job". if not STFU and continue sucking at the teat of America and do nothing to change and/or protect the country you live in. its ignorant people like yourself who have no idea what it really means to be in the military or why people joined the military. i know your gonna ask so here it is. i joined the military as a means to get an education and CONTRIBUTE to the American society. i originally planned to get out after my first enlistment of six years. after being to Iraq, Afghanistan and numerous other poor countries around the world, i realized this thing you call a "job" is much bigger than me. i pulled my head out of my ass (something you srsly need to think about doing), and understood why i am where i am. which is that all important document called the constitution and what it stands for. THAT is why i am here. THAT is what i defend day in and day out. 365 24/7. i know it has been stated in this thread already, but the life you enjoy today and the freedoms u enjoy would not be here without the people who do this "job". so again, keep your thanks and please by all means go ahead and use your FREEDOM to bash my post and do whatever it is you do on a daily basis that provides you the opportunities you have in your life.

Duff McCartney
02-17-2010, 06:37 PM
I think America just has an extreme hard on for the military and I just don't understand why. I personally think there are people who do jobs that are almost as dangerous as our military does..IE NGO workers in war zones, or people in Africa working with the UN, or the Peace Corps. But nobody ever says they appreciate what they do.

I'm sure they get paid just as little or less than the military does. And they don't do it for their country. I don't know what they do it for really. I could be wrong though.

lil'mo
02-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh thats right, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan only have a 'butterfly effect' on the USA politically, economically, and militarily.

Their service also somehow has a 'butterfly effect' on you posting trolling shit with nothing of substance to reinforce your petty "arguments". :lol

And the troops have any effect on the wars in Iraq and afghanistan that have an effect on the USA politically, econimically, and militarily? The troops are merely replaceable parts to the American military machine. One part is worn out, broken, or dead? Just replace it. You're trying to magnify the significance of a single enlisted person, and it just doesn't work.

Cane
02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
And the troops have any effect on the wars in Iraq and afghanistan that have an effect on the USA politically, econimically, and militarily? The troops are merely replaceable parts to the American military machine. One part is worn out, broken, or dead? Just replace it. You're trying to magnify the significance of a single enlisted person, and it just doesn't work.

Of course the troops have an effect on wars...they're the ones fighting it ya dumbass.

Now instead of generalizing the entire enlisted military you're focusing on the significance of a single enlisted person? Your dumb shit is all over the place but at least its a half step above from talking about butterflies. And yea, every single enlisted person is important especially those that go well beyond the call of duty.

And unless you're a god damn multi-billionaire we're all "replaceable parts" of the world. Lets take it even further, maybe a pretty picture will entertain your feeble mind:

http://jenbayne.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/milky_way4.jpg

thispego
02-17-2010, 07:41 PM
You aRe the one trying to argue for the significance of a single enlisted person. My original argument was lost on all you butt hurt "vets" crying about how you should be held in higher regard and how what you do IS special. I've maintained from the beginning that you are as important to out society as trash men. Do you disagree???

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 07:46 PM
And you are one of the idiots that negatively skews the national iq. The thread is not about enlisting, it is about the undeserved praise and admiration being doled out because of what being in the military ONCE meant.

You are the one calling them lazy or stupid. Get in there and restore the military to what it "once meant".

thispego
02-17-2010, 07:49 PM
op, seriously, keep your fucking thanks. i dont need to hear you say "thank you" to validate what i do. its ungrateful fucks like you who benefit from what i have done in my short 8 yrs in the military. if you think its "just a job" i challenge you to reach in ur pants, grab what little sack you have and come do what i do as "just a job". if not STFU and continue sucking at the teat of America and do nothing to change and/or protect the country you live in. its ignorant people like yourself who have no idea what it really means to be in the military or why people joined the military. i know your gonna ask so here it is. i joined the military as a means to get an education and CONTRIBUTE to the American society. i originally planned to get out after my first enlistment of six years. after being to Iraq, Afghanistan and numerous other poor countries around the world, i realized this thing you call a "job" is much bigger than me. i pulled my head out of my ass (something you srsly need to think about doing), and understood why i am where i am. which is that all important document called the constitution and what it stands for. THAT is why i am here. THAT is what i defend day in and day out. 365 24/7. i know it has been stated in this thread already, but the life you enjoy today and the freedoms u enjoy would not be here without the people who do this "job". so again, keep your thanks and please by all means go ahead and use your FREEDOM to bash my post and do whatever it is you do on a daily basis that provides you the opportunities you have in your life.
:lol Yeah they've got you thoroughly brain washed. That's the catch phrase "doing something bigger than yourself". Hey, I'm sure you're good at your jb, but there are trash collectors and auto mechanics and such that are really good at their job too that help keep the world spinning 'round. What you do isn't more imporant then what they do, by any stretch of the imagnation.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
You aRe the one trying to argue for the significance of a single enlisted person. My original argument was lost on all you butt hurt "vets" crying about how you should be held in higher regard and how what you do IS special. I've maintained from the beginning that you are as important to out society as trash men. Do you disagree???

thispego
02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Whoops, cats out of the bag :lol

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
No. I don't see how you could even infer that. Are you saying the poor are more patriotic? Are you saying that people are rich have no honor? Explain to to me why the wealthy don't enlist as much?

No I said so what if they enlist for a paycheck and followed up with who are you to say that a person can't be poor AND patriotic.

Are you afraid of people wanting to understand why people enlist? If it doesn't matter why people enlist then why are you so defensive?

No I am not afraid, I even said that they probably DO it for the paycheck.

Who's advocating that choice other than you? Why are you so defensive and afraid of people asking the question of why people enlist? Don't you think recruiters do that every day in order to better meet their recruiting goals?

No, I am asking who cares? Say you find out why each and every person enlists then what? What do you get out of it? What exactly does it do for you? So they do it for a paycheck and our country has a group of people whose job it is to defend whenever the need arises.

Duff McCartney
02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
And unless you're a god damn multi-billionaire we're all "replaceable parts" of the world.

I think even multi-billionaires are replaceable parts of the world. I'm sure there were billionaires in 1900. And none of them are alive today..and yet the world goes on.

The Reckoning
02-17-2010, 08:09 PM
lol good one pego attaway to divert their attention from the real troller

thispego
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Please do not make arguments on lil'mo's behalf duff. I do not think he would a want a reneger getting his back.

The Reckoning
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
if i really wanted to help my country and protect the freedoms of millions of Americans, id get an education and become a diplomat. but diplomacy never works, right?

just throwing this out there, but josephus daniels saved alot more American lives by being an ambassador than secretary of navy. especially the lives of soldiers.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
if i really wanted to help my country and protect the freedoms of millions of Americans, id get an education and become a diplomat. but diplomacy never works, right?

just throwing this out there, but josephus daniels saved alot more American lives by being an ambassador than secretary of navy. especially the lives of soldiers.

Awesome, then go for it. Unfortunately not every one of those soldiers is able to go that route.

The Reckoning
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
land of the free. land of the student loans. land of the "military pays for college." so theres a route through there too.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
land of the free. land of the student loans. land of the "military pays for college." so theres a route through there too.

Yeah but that would mean enlisting when you said going to get an education and becoming a diplomat instead. So which is it? Enlist and serve then go to school or stay away completely and go to school instead?

CuckingFunt
02-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Everyone joins for different reasons, of course, but it's not an accident that recruitment methods/incentives are targeted specifically at poor and/or minority communities. The fact that joining the service is the only way that huge portions of the population can realistically access educational opportunities or health care (or whatever) is by design.

Everyone loves patriotic enlisted hero types of any shade, and the clean cut white boys are great for public relations, but if there's going to be a lot of casualties in war it certainly doesn't hurt to appeal to the expendable folks.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Everyone loves patriotic enlisted hero types of any shade, and the clean cut white boys are great for public relations, but if there's going to be a lot of casualties in war it certainly doesn't hurt to appeal to the expendable folks.

just wow

MannyIsGod
02-17-2010, 08:57 PM
No I said so what if they enlist for a paycheck and followed up with who are you to say that a person can't be poor AND patriotic.

You apparently can't read. I'd love for you to show me where I said that.

No I am not afraid, I even said that they probably DO it for the paycheck.

Your blathering says otherwise.

No, I am asking who cares? Say you find out why each and every person enlists then what? What do you get out of it? What exactly does it do for you? So they do it for a paycheck and our country has a group of people whose job it is to defend whenever the need arises.

Obviously the people posting in this thread care or they wouldn't be posting. Are you slow or are you just playing the part? My curiosity is satisfied and nothing more. I don't see why I'd need any more motivation than that.

CuckingFunt
02-17-2010, 09:00 PM
just wow

Any plans to elaborate?

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
You apparently can't read. I'd love for you to show me where I said that.

Obviously the people posting in this thread care or they wouldn't be posting. Are you slow or are you just playing the part? My curiosity is satisfied and nothing more. I don't see why I'd need any more motivation than that.

Ok so then organize a way to get this done OR petition for the government to spend millions of dollars every year on interviewing each recruit and collecting all the data necessary to satisfy your curiousity. Are you really that stupid?

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Any plans to elaborate?

Nope

CuckingFunt
02-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Nope

That's unfortunate.

Now I'll never know if you misunderstood my post as completely as you misunderstood Manny's.

mookie2001
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I am thankful for Americans service to their country. I am also thankful for our teachers and paramedics. Those are honorable jobs to have

It's when it crosses the line into (modern day wars) "protecting America" and " fighting for our freedoms"

that's just gregariously stupid shit to say, you're not fighting in my name or protecting any freedoms

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
That's unfortunate.

Now I'll never know if you misunderstood my post as completely as you misunderstood Manny's.

No I understood your post. If I would have thought that you thought that way I would have said something. Instead I chose to just say wow at the way things worked.

As far as manny, I just quoted what he said.

samikeyp
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
I know many folks who have joined the military and are neither stupid or lazy. Its a good way to learn a skill or get money for college. I do agree with the fact that there are some assholes in uniform but as was also mentioned that it is like any other segment of society and will have its share of douchenozzles but to generalize an entire group as being of one mindset is just as douchenozzle-worthy.

I. Hustle
02-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I am thankful for Americans service to their country. I am also thankful for our teachers and paramedics. Those are honorable jobs to have

It's when it crosses the line into (modern day wars) "protecting America" and " fighting for our freedoms"

that's just gregariously stupid shit to say, you're not fighting in my name or protecting any freedoms

They are there to secure our freedom. Without a military we are wide open. The politicians are the ones that say the soldiers are in Iraq "protecting our freedom"

mookie2001
02-17-2010, 09:33 PM
No they're not, and yeah the politicians and the media are to blame as always

you can talk about my freedoms all day, it's just in poor taste

Serving your country is honorable enough, you don't have to insult our intelligence and bring up securing our freedoms

samikeyp
02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I have no problem with the troops...its the politicians I don't like. :)

CuckingFunt
02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Ultimately, I have a lot of respect for anyone willing to do a job that I'm not, regardless of what that job is or the individual's specific motivation to do that job. It's specifically that willingness that I respect, though. You're not as big of a pussy as I am, so props to you for that (which I recognize sounds dismissive, but isn't intended to be).

I don't respect or support the military as an institution or militarism as a philosophy, however, so I don't have a tremendous respect for that type of patriotism. I save that level of respect for the type of people who see the ugly ick going on in the world and look for solutions that don't involve bombing the shit out of another country and essentially punishing its citizens for the sins of its leaders.

Where I have a problem with the OP, and where I think most people are getting hung up, is that it assumes that the goals and motivations of all military personnel are the same. This just isn't the case. A lot of people are military because they want to go to college in the future, a lot enlist because they have a strong passion to defend the country, a lot enlist because they don't know what the fuck else to do with their lives, and on and on. I think it's grossly naive to assume that everyone currently enlisted is fighting because they're passionate and motivated to protect my freedoms, but I think it's just as grossly dismissive to assume that no one currently enlisted is fighting based on legitimately honorable intentions that are worthy of my respect.

Cyrano
02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
"Do your job and stop expecting some great level of respect for doing grunt work that someone else would do if you weren't there to do it."

Hey, no problem. I for one don't expect a great level of respect. Simple courtesy will suffice. Contrary to your statements, the military is not all "grunt work" as you so quaintly put it. You might find it enlightening to check out a few of those stupid and lazy people......Grace Hopper and Walter Reed spring to mind.
Sure, there are those who enlist out of economic necessity, just as there are those who volunteer for other reasons. Some of us enlisted out of a sense of duty. My family have served on the US military since the civil war, and I was raised to believe that service to the community and nation is required of every citizen. Just think of what could be accomplished if every citizen did even two years of public service.
By the way, I never met one of those "Army or Jail" people who ever did well in the military.

xellos88330
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Dumbass.

Can't even see the bigger picture.

Not worth my time.

scampers
02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Trust me, most of us don't expect any respect. In fact, I hated the attention I got when I served. It didn't seem right to me.

But that's cool.. your opinion, and you have your right to it.

TheSullyMonster
02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
I know many people that joined the service to avoid taking care of their kids. I support deadbeat dads.

Hows that work? You can't be a single parent and enlist. Plus, they dock your paycheck for child support.

xellos88330
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Hows that work? You can't be a single parent and enlist. Plus, they dock your paycheck for child support.

This is true. If anything you are penalized more than a civilian is.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-17-2010, 11:29 PM
rofl

where did the OP come from? What set off lil mo?

spursncowboys
02-17-2010, 11:39 PM
while the OP is a dumbass and there's certainly honor in serving your country, what we are currently doing overseas right now is definitely not honorable.

Do you have first hand knowledge of that?

spursncowboys
02-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Rationalize your decision however you want. But basically what you do is a JOB. Your JOB is as honorable as being a trashman or clothing retailer or mall security.

I doubt you could do my job.

spursncowboys
02-17-2010, 11:42 PM

What's funny is in the time Vietnam was going on, there were the ones who said Vietnam wasn't a real war.

spursncowboys
02-17-2010, 11:50 PM

:lol hatin.
What job do you have?
Do you want a living off your mom appreciation night at the club?

mookie2001
02-17-2010, 11:56 PM
What's funny is in the time Vietnam was going on, there were the ones who said Vietnam wasn't a real war.

Thanks for the history lesson oldtimer

DMX7
02-18-2010, 12:02 AM
John McCain can tell you all about the Mexican–American War. That was a real war.

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 12:05 AM
So you are saying you know more than me from your education of cnn and msnbc? dumbass. Who's brainwashed...yeah i guess killing terrorists who are going into the village raping and torturing their neighbors didn't help anybody. Clearing fields with american blood and result is the kids get to play in that field. Hearing story after story of what the Baath party did to dads, moms, brothers and sisters were just made up. I guess that graph and chart in the NYT covered all the real stuff right? Also I don't think a regular job puts you 15 months away from your family ass-clown. In harms way. There were plenty of people i deployed with who were against OIF and deployed. Because they made a commitment.

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the history lesson oldtimer

Hey it's the gangbanger. where's your set internet thug?

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Only one occupation got us our rights and maintained them:
Soldier

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 12:13 AM

The bonus will not compensate for the amount of money lost from going out of the private sector.

JoeChalupa
02-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Everyone joins for different reasons, of course, but it's not an accident that recruitment methods/incentives are targeted specifically at poor and/or minority communities. The fact that joining the service is the only way that huge portions of the population can realistically access educational opportunities or health care (or whatever) is by design.

The "expendable" folks have been fighting the battles for centuries and that will always be the case. During the Civil War, Lincoln himself credited the joining of so many African-Americans in the Union Army that turned the tide of the war.

Soul_Patch
02-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I cant tell if this post is a troll job, or for real...but its pretty uninformed...

TheManFromAcme
02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
You always thank a servicmen/woman. A no-brainer.
What a liberally infested place. Geez.

Brobee
02-18-2010, 11:10 AM
It's nice to be nice, and to use you're manners every day! :)

I. Hustle
02-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I cant tell if this post is a troll job, or for real...but its pretty uninformed...

Most def a troll job but it's fun to argue on the internets.

SAGambler
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
lil'mo. I doubt anyone here, whether they served or not, needs nor even wants your thanks for anything. Opinions are like assholes... Everybody has one.

Now hurry up and get dressed for your shift at McDonalds.

AFBlue
02-18-2010, 11:47 AM

The "butt hurt vets" didn't defend our right to feel special, we defended a random claim that we're by and large a group of poor, lazy, and/or stupid people with no higher career aspirations that basically settled for this "job".

No one, and I repeat, no one asked you or anyone else on this board for you to hold them in higher regard than another person.

Sadly, you spent your time demeaning the people and the service when you should've been angry at the non-vets who established this double-standard of higher praise and recognition.

Maybe you should look at this in a positive way and start a grass roots campaign to establish garbage-man appreciation days at local events. I tell you what, I'd be the first to sign up and attend...to show my support for those fine Americans.

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 12:04 PM

No troll job... for real... I'm not thankful for you doing your job. Why should I thank you for doing something you are paid to do? It's a job and you chose it over other options. I don't expect displays of gratitude of free denny's breakfasts for the work I do.

I. Hustle
02-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Maybe you should look at this in a positive way and start a grass roots campaign to establish garbage-man appreciation days at local events. I tell you what, I'd be the first to sign up and attend...to show my support for those fine Americans.

That is what I am saying. All these idiots on here complaining about how garbage men should get the same praise or that they want to know percentages of who is doing it for money and who is patriotic need to do something about it. Bitching and moaning isn't going to do shit. If you are that passionate about those things then go make it happen. Otherwise why cry and complain if you are just going to sit there eating your failure pile in a sadness bowl.

z0sa
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM

During which period of time (and place, if necessary) has this trend been different?

I. Hustle
02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
No troll job... for real... I'm not thankful for you doing your job. Why should I thank you for doing something you are paid to do? It's a job and you chose it over other options. I don't expect displays of gratitude of free denny's breakfasts for the work I do.

Ok but not every soldier expects praise. I am pretty sure that McDonalds has employee appreciation stuff and your fellow employees get recognized for doing stuff they should be doing anyway. Sure it's a much smaller scale but people get shit everyday just for doing what they are supposed to do.

I. Hustle
02-18-2010, 12:16 PM
During which period of time (and place, if necessary) has this trend been different?

Maybe he should watch Gangs of New York lol

Soul_Patch
02-18-2010, 12:17 PM

How old are you?

Bigzax
02-18-2010, 12:20 PM
what are you thankful for lil'mo?

symple19
02-18-2010, 12:56 PM
rofl @ this thread

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
how old are you?

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
what are you thankful for lil'mo?

Big natural byoobs, sports, beer & weed, veterans who gave their lives or lost limbs in meaningful wars, etc, etc...

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
I doubt you could do my job.

HAH hah hahahahah HahahaAHAHaha, yeah right, this emoticon :monkey could do your job

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
HAH hah hahahahah HahahaAHAHaha, yeah right, this emoticon :monkey could do your job
maybe but you couldn't.

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey I can do anything a monkey emoticon can do!

What is it that you do mr army man?

Soul_Patch
02-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Some of the most successful people i know are currently serving or retired. Enlisted and officers alike.

Your argument is completely false and baseless...but im sure you know that.

I was much like you when i was 18 to 23 years old...sitting back, smoking weed...thinking how much smarter i was than everyone else...i really had it figured out. :lol

Agitator
02-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Yet another really long thread I am not going to read. Im sure someone already asked, but what the fuck are you talking about, Willis?

Agitator
02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Some of the most successful people i know are currently serving or retired. Enlisted and officers alike.

I was much like you when i was 18 to 23 years old...sitting back, smoking weed...thinking how much smarter i was than everyone else...i really had it figured out. :lol

eeeyup.

i read some of this page, and it reeks of "bla bla bla I'm better than everybody else because i am some unique thinker going against the grain, look at me, i'm a rebel man"

SpursWoman
02-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Im sure someone already asked, but what the fuck are you talking about, Willis?

:tu :lol

Soul_Patch
02-18-2010, 05:32 PM
We should all go meet at some really cool, but completely NOT TRENDY! coffee house and discuss how much more advanced we are than these silly military folks.

Im kind of broke right now though, so can someone pick me up? I also cant really afford (and i really dont like..lollllol) coffee, so is it cool if i borrow like 2 bucks for a small chocolate milk?

Also...you bring the weed?

Soul_Patch
02-18-2010, 05:34 PM
what's funny is i know lil'mo and your perception of him is completely wrong

Are you going to come pick me up? i got .60 cents i can pitch in for gas.

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

You didn't, I do.

There are successful people people in all professions. Again that's not what I'm arguing. Don't waste my time by telling me things I already know just because you wandered into a discussion and are lost. Fool.

Soul_Patch
02-18-2010, 05:39 PM
You didn't, I do.

There are successful people people in all professions. Again that's not what I'm arguing. Don't waste my time by telling me things I already know just because you wandered into a discussion and are lost. Fool.

I'm definitely not going to pretend to be on the same intellectual level as someone like yourself...By your own admission, you have it all worked out...you argument would be better served though if you didnt constantly contradict yourself...

actually...why the fuck am i arguing with you...internet troll is successful dammit Ive been had! :(

so we gonna go get high? :hat

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
eeeyup.

i read some of this page, and it reeks of "bla bla bla I'm better than everybody else because i am some unique thinker going against the grain, look at me, i'm a rebel man"

I'm not better than everyone, well, I am, but that's not what this thread is about. Just a simple statement that didn't require 7 pages to get across. I'm not anymore thankful for you doing your job than I am for the trash man, or anyone else, doing their job. Get over yourselves.

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 05:45 PM
lil mo when he was on top
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:KvHRnpEU5V-OJM:http://www.searchenginelowdown.com/uploaded_images/Geek-712146.jpg

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 05:51 PM
lil mo when he was on top
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:KvHRnpEU5V-OJM:http://www.searchenginelowdown.com/uploaded_images/Geek-712146.jpg

Now post the one where I was on top of your mom.

Soul_Patch
02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not better than everyone, well, I am, but that's not what this thread is about. Just a simple statement that didn't require 7 pages to get across. I'm not anymore thankful for you doing your job than I am for the trash man, or anyone else, doing their job. Get over yourselves.

Just fyi, but outside of possibly your momma, no one is asking for your thanks. I think that was made clear right?

Do you also stay seated and keep your hat on during the Nation Anthem? that kinda fits your...MO...harharhar...get it????

I. Hustle
02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
http://gb.fs.boldernet.net/0/0/245/245719-450.jpg

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Just fyi, but outside of possibly your momma, no one is asking for your thanks. I think that was made clear right?

Do you also stay seated and keep your hat on during the Nation Anthem? that kinda fits your...MO...harharhar...get it????

No I rise, and I don't wear hats.

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
did your Sergeant tell you that :lol

what about

statesmen, activists, judges, diplomats, philosophers, presidents, priests, lawyers, artists, writers, etc.

soldiers just do what they're told, whether that means taking away rights or securing them, makes no difference

:lol. Lawyers got us our constitutional rights? Really? How? In fact why don't you please explain how any of said occupations acquired you your freedom.

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 06:16 PM
While he's doing that why don't you explain how today's soldiers got us our freedom?

This should be good.

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 06:26 PM
While he's doing that why don't you explain how today's soldiers got us our freedom?

This should be good.
Would we maintain our freedoms and rights without a military, Level 60 Dragon Master?

DMX7
02-18-2010, 06:29 PM
I sense yet another thread entering Epic Fail mode.

mookie2001
02-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Parents basement AND dungeons and dragons, this is like the first thread in message board history

Agitator
02-18-2010, 06:35 PM
what's funny is i know lil'mo and your perception of him is completely wrong

would that be the part about him smoking weed or the part about him being a douchebag "look at me, i'm a rebel, 'cause i said something to piss you off" type?

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Would we maintain our freedoms and rights without a military, Level 60 Dragon Master?

Yes, would our rights and freedoms magically disappear if the military was dissolved? Please explain how :lol

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, would our rights and freedoms magically disappear if the military was dissolved? Please explain how :lol

:lmao

sabar
02-18-2010, 06:48 PM
I dunno whats going on, but I've never met a military person that actually expected thanks for their job. Most people out of the middle east are scarred for life and don't want to talk about any of it. That's what people respect. They don't care about the propaganda lines of defending freedom or whatever. They say "thanks for going to hell and back, because I sure wouldn't want to be doing it". Yeah, the average American pitys the soldier. Defending freedom is a relic of past wars or a propaganda line.

The only ones that deserve scorn are the politicians that ship out the kids to die. Shooting people and dying is more than a job. It is basic human combat and survival. People respect that in a modern day where food and cars and entertainment is at your fingertips and the most war that one has experienced is a fist fight or slap.

But I've never seen someone that wanted thanks. The ones that do are just egotistical guys. They exist in every profession.

lil'mo
02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
:lmao

police and contractors couldn't and don't do the same job? Do you or do you not believe that you deserve praise for the work that you do over the work that other people do? That is the question.

Agitator
02-18-2010, 06:56 PM

that is probably the first interesting thing anyone has said yet.

what would happen?

china owuld probably invade tiawan and get it over with, japan would re-arm in a fucking hurry, russia would bully the EU into finally finding its spine, and we might be able to cut taxes across the board.

nothing there I would particularly dislike, although if china/japan/Korea get into a pissing contest, where am I going to get my TVs from?

Go For Tree
02-18-2010, 07:09 PM

It was a BARTENDER!!

And if you must know...... he didnt even cum inside her.

Go For Tree
02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Lil Mo, so who is forcing you to appreciate anyone for anything? I doubt any service members have confronted you and made you tell them thanks for anything. Who cares why they join, whether it be to collect the check, or because they love their country or because they lost a loved one in battle. Why does that matter to you? Youre just too ignorant.

If youre that upset about them being able to get a free Grandslam Breakfast from Dennys one day out of the year (which you have already mentioned more than once like its a valid point for your useless thoughts) then tell me your Paypal info and Ill personally transfer you the 7 bucks you crying infant.

So far the only good thing about you is you smoke pot, which you should probably get a hold of some better shit because when my fellow weed smokers are high we tend to not fuck with anyone for no reason. We just sit in the car for 30 minutes in the driveway until we remember we smoked a bowl because we were craving (a) a Grandslam Breakfast at dennys or (b) moons over my hammy.

I Chose (B)

panic giraffe
02-18-2010, 08:18 PM
It was a BARTENDER!!

And if you must know...... he didnt even cum inside her.

that movie is gold.

AFBlue
02-18-2010, 08:38 PM

This is the part of the statement that doesn't make any damn sense. Fine, you're not thankful to military members anymore than any othe profession.

But what makes you think that the military is full of a bunch of respect-craving attention whores? I think I already posted something similar but never got a response.

It's society that chooses to hold military in higher regard, not the military demanding it.

Your arguments are all misguided and/or uninformed.

MsMcGillyCutty
02-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I've thanked a few servicemen in my time.

Go For Tree
02-18-2010, 09:35 PM
I've thanked a few servicemen in my time.

Thanking men for the service of their member is not the same as thanking servicemembers.

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Lil Mo, so who is forcing you to appreciate anyone for anything? I doubt any service members have confronted you and made you tell them thanks for anything. Who cares why they join, whether it be to collect the check, or because they love their country or because they lost a loved one in battle. Why does that matter to you? Youre just too ignorant.

If youre that upset about them being able to get a free Grandslam Breakfast from Dennys one day out of the year (which you have already mentioned more than once like its a valid point for your useless thoughts) then tell me your Paypal info and Ill personally transfer you the 7 bucks you crying infant.

So far the only good thing about you is you smoke pot, which you should probably get a hold of some better shit because when my fellow weed smokers are high we tend to not fuck with anyone for no reason. We just sit in the car for 30 minutes in the driveway until we remember we smoked a bowl because we were craving (a) a Grandslam Breakfast at dennys or (b) moons over my hammy.

I Chose (B)

Def. b. If you go to denny's and don't get moons over my hammy, you should be watched very carefully.

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 10:11 PM
*McGINNIS, ROSS A.

Rank and Organization: Private First Class, United States Army
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:
Private First Class Ross A. McGinnis distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty while serving as an M2 .50-caliber Machine Gunner, 1st Platoon, C Company, 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry Regiment, in connection with combat operations against an armed enemy in Adhamiyah, Northeast Baghdad, Iraq, on 4 December 2006.

That afternoon his platoon was conducting combat control operations in an effort to reduce and control sectarian violence in the area. While Private McGinnis was manning the M2 .50-caliber Machine Gun, a fragmentation grenade thrown by an insurgent fell through the gunner's hatch into the vehicle. Reacting quickly, he yelled "grenade," allowing all four members of his crew to prepare for the grenade's blast. Then, rather than leaping from the gunner's hatch to safety, Private McGinnis made the courageous decision to protect his crew. In a selfless act of bravery, in which he was mortally wounded, Private McGinnis covered the live grenade, pinning it between his body and the vehicle and absorbing most of the explosion.

Private McGinnis' gallant action directly saved four men from certain serious injury or death. Private First Class McGinnis' extraordinary heroism and selflessness at the cost of his own life, above and beyond the call of duty, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

mavs>spurs2
02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
get off your high horse

spursncowboys
02-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Rank and organization: Master Sergeant, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Lincoln, Maine. Citation: Master Sergeant Gordon, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as Sniper Team Leader, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Master Sergeant Gordon's sniper team provided precision fires from the lead helicopter during an assault and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. When Master Sergeant Gordon learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the second crash site, he and another sniper unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After his third request to be inserted, Master Sergeant Gordon received permission to perform his volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Master Sergeant Gordon was inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon and his fellow sniper, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Master Sergeant Gordon immediately pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Master Sergeant Gordon used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers until he depleted his ammunition. Master Sergeant Gordon then went back to the wreckage, recovering some of the crew's weapons and ammunition. Despite the fact that he was critically low on ammunition, he provided some of it to the dazed pilot and then radioed for help. Master Sergeant Gordon continued to travel the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. After his team member was fatally wounded and his own rifle ammunition exhausted, Master Sergeant Gordon returned to the wreckage, recovering a rifle with the last five rounds of ammunition and gave it to the pilot with the words, "good luck." Then, armed only with his pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon continued to fight until he was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Master Sergeant Gordon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

*SHUGHART, RANDALL D.

Rank and organization: Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Newville, Pennsylvania. Citation: Sergeant First Class Shughart, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as a Sniper Team Member, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Sergeant First Class Shughart provided precision sniper fires from the lead helicopter during an assault on a building and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. While providing critical suppressive fires at the second crash site, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the site. Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After their third request to be inserted, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader received permission to perform this volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader were inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Sergeant First Class Shughart pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Sergeant First Class Shughart used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers while traveling the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. Sergeant First Class Shughart continued his protective fire until he depleted his ammunition and was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Sergeant First Class Shughart's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

MrChug
02-18-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm guessing this punk is one cheap ass cunt who didn't get a second date because he didn't tip a waiter or something. Sorry you didn't get laid bitch.

austN Spur
02-18-2010, 10:52 PM
My problem with military guys is how they start families and say they are enlisting for their kids. But when they get back they spend that money on a new girlfriend and leave their family. this i have seen happen to many times

FuzzyLumpkins
02-19-2010, 12:27 AM
We need a draft and then we'll see some real shit.